When The Night Comes

on February 10, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 15 comments by

I haven’t told y’all about this yet, but I have a new job.

Yes, I know. I’ve had quite a collection of jobs during my time here in Nashville [book proposal pending- cause who wouldn’t pay $12 to read all about my professional life?] and so to hear that I have a new one isn’t a shocker.

Since, you know, I had EIGHT at one point this fall.

EIGHT. JOBS.

Anyways, I’m down to about four. And this new one is really cool.

SUPER short summary: I work for a company here in Nashville called The Brave. The Brave is owned by Ryan Smith and Bobby Bailey (founder of Invisible Children). The UN [yep- this one] has contracted us to do a campaign to help spread the message of the importance of treated nets for malaria prevention. I’m the content writer at The Brave, so all the words that leave our office are written by me or have passed through my editorial hands.

Phew.

This campaign has two arms- a film titled When The Night Comes and then a movement/event in April [I’ll tell you more about that in the future].

We premiered the film last night in Nashville and it was an amazing time. There are a handful of us that work at The Brave together, and many of our friends had not seen the film yet. I have seen it a handful of times during the editing process, but to see it on the big screen, to see the truth of malaria and the hopes for a malaria free Africa, were just gorgeous.

Sometimes, after sitting at a desk writing for hours at a time, and usually writing things like email responses and press releases and informational packets, I lose sight of what I’m really doing. Seeing the film again gave me the chance to remember the reason I sit at that desk is because someday, I want to tell my kids that I played a role in eliminating malaria from all of Africa.

The best thing about Nashville is that no event is complete without some local musicians. Seth Philpott, Rob Blackledge, and Andy Davis each did a few songs.

I’m supposed to write a lot about Rob here. Because, you see, in front of about 300 people, Rob announced into the microphone that “Annie [yep, that’s me] has a blog that people read [yep, that’s you] and tomorrow she’s probably going to write about this.”

Then he began to talk in a high pitched voice and pretend to type on a keyboard. He said things like, “I love Rob Blackledge. He’s so cute.”

Which is funny, except that he is MARRIED TO ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS so were I to EVER blog that, it would be deeply disturbing.

[So here you go, Rob. You played the song I requested. I blogged about you. Fair trade. 🙂]

But seriously, I hope you guys will take a second to watch the trailer for When The Night Comes on the website. There’s lots of ways for you to get involved. And I’ll definitely keep blogging about it.

Because hello. That’s what I do. AnnieBlogs, remember? 🙂

1. posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:13 AM  |  reply

And? Annierocks!

2. posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 7:19 AM  |  reply

What a great cause! My parents are returning from the Philippines tomorrow (flying as I type). They visited one island where they had to take mosquito netting to sleep under. Treated netting is a wonderful idea.

3. posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 7:41 AM  |  reply

So I just watched the trailer…and…um…wow!

I honestly didn’t have any particular expectations. I just thought it would be a regular old documentary type film, but the trailer was fantastic. Can’t wait to see it!

Congrats on your new job Annie.

4. ali
    posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:07 AM  |  reply

Wow, Annie, that film looks powerful. I’m emailing for my free copy right now!

5. posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

i believe “he’s so cute” was supposed to be in parenthesis, no? 🙂

loved loved loved the film, loved the whole night. and i’m totally jealous that so many of your jobs actually make a difference in the world.

6. posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM  |  reply

Is it weird that I’m feeling itchy after watching that trailer? Because I am. And I want to squash every darn mosquito I see from now until the end of time. That’s a powerful trailer.

7. Amy Young
    posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM  |  reply

That is so fun Annie!! Maybe it will bring you to the good old NW some time… 🙂 I say that selfishly of course! 🙂 I love you and miss you!!

8. Amy Young
    posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM  |  reply

I just listened to Rob Blackledge for the first time… really like his stuff… I would comment about Seth and Andy, but I already know I like their stuff!! 🙂

9. posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:41 PM  |  reply

I forgot about the “he’s so cute” part. *patting self on back*. Thanks Annie.

10. posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM  |  reply

I love how you said…”someday I’ll tell my kids how I……”
    God is doing and going to do amazing things through you!

11. posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 4:45 PM  |  reply

Awesome. 8 jobs, yeah but were not talking Micky D’s..and I am not saying Micky D’s is not an honorable job I mean if you dont have the right amount of sauce on the McRib…tragic. But look what you have accomplished and are going to accomplish with this! Like it.

12. mary beth
    posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:11 PM  |  reply

i remember the 1st time i saw invisible children i knew those guys were on to something..i am so glad to know their quest continues and they are using their talents as a force for good….and SO happy you are linked to them

13. posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 9:22 PM  |  reply

Congratulations! This is wonderful. All the different jobs just make life more interesting for you and provide you with more content for future novels.

14. Rob
    posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 10:51 PM  |  reply

Hats off to your entire team! Went to the Nashville screening and left speechless. As a fellow UNF partner, I’m proud to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you all!Prayers for continued success!

15. posted on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:47 PM  |  reply

Annie…your so conservative! You also left out the part where Rob said, “yeah, she really runs the place and made this whole thing happen.” I couldn’t agree more, and am honored, blessed, and proud to have you on this team!