I’m gonna talk about the snow.

on February 17, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 30 comments by

Because I don’t know if you know this, but Nashville has been covered in snow for a few months weeks days now.

Honestly, on and off for January and February, we have seen a ton of snow. [Which is a relative statement, I agree. By “ton,” I mean “max 6 inches at a time.”]

Not DC kind of snow. That junk is insane. 30+ inches? Man, if I lived up there, I would have put on my winter gear, opened a second story window, and jumped out it and right into a snow drift.

[Disclaimer: I have no idea if that would even be possible or wise, I’m just saying that it sounds like fun.]

I’ve discovered in the last few weeks that I was meant to be a Southerner. Now, y’all know good and well that I don’t like getting all hot and sweaty like what happens in South Georgia round about August.

[Most hillbilly sentence of my life? Done.]

But for as much as I dislike being outside on an August afternoon, I’m figuring out that I don’t much prefer the freezing temps that Nashville has been experiencing. I miss going outside. I miss the option to walk places. I’m tired of wearing the same five heavy sweaters over and over and over again.

Dear Nashville fashionistas, forgive me.

I’m just ready to be able to be outside. I. Like. Sunshine.

And bizarrely enough, it seems that we keep getting snow on Sundays and Mondays. I don’t really know why that is. But alas. Tis true. I wanna be all, “Hey weather system, what’s up with hitting Nashville on Mondays?”

I talked to my Hawaiian sister Tatum on the phone yesterday and told her that having snow and ice like this does bad bad things for my motivation to be a productive member of society. See, on a normal snow-free week, I plan out my schedule, know when I’m expected to be at each job, know when Bible study is and when dinners with friends are planned. And I attend all those things without complaint.

But, when the weather is so unreliable, you wonder if everything is going to be canceled. And you silently hope that it is. And Lazy Annie starts planning all the things she’ll do around the house if she’s “snowed in.” Like, you know, watch TV.

So while I appreciate the seasons, and while I do think it’s fun to take pictures of the snow and mail them to my Compassion kid Fred, I am quite sure that this Southern girl is ready for spring.

Which is unfortunate. Because it’s mid-February.

Weather Whine-Fest 2010 shall now cease.

On another note, let’s talk for one little minute about THE BACHELOR. I am SO glad Jake kept Tenley, surprised actually. Though I fear Vienna is going to win. [I could write a whole post about my thoughts on The Bachelor, but I’ve just waxed less-than-poetically about the weather. That’s all the torture I’m inflicting on you for today.]

Your thoughts on weather [yours, mine, or in general], The Bachelor, or life are always welcome.

1. Tatum
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 3:16 AM  |  reply

Well you DO have that sister in Hawaii that you could visit. There’s no snow here.

The weatherman just said “it should remain fairly chilly all day tomorrow with highs not exceeding 78”.

Fairly chilly.
    In the 70’s.

2. amy
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:54 AM  |  reply

Possible – of course
    Wise – of course NOT
    Fun – you bet
    Even More Fun – jumping off the roof (or if you are really brave, skiing off the roof into snow drifts)

Vermont girl currently living in Birmingham.

3. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:56 AM  |  reply

We got our once in 8 (or so) years snowfall of about 6 inches. Here one day, mostly gone the next. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE snow like that. I guess that’s why I live in the South.

Spring is coming. It’s inevitable. Keep your chin up!

4. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:13 AM  |  reply

Hey Annie – I’m kind of obsessed with The Bachelor, so here we go: I love Tenley. SO MUCH. Vienna, of course, not so much. And at first I thought that Jake would be crazy to pick Vienna, but you know what? I’m thinking now that he’s not exactly the guy that ABC is portraying him as – like the really wholesome, put-together, all-American guy. Since he’s already kept Vienna around for so long, and I also fear that he’s going to ultimately choose her, I think he’s a little bit more weird? hillbilly? than we all think. Which is why I’m now concluding that he doesn’t even deserve Tenley. She’s wayyyy out of his league. I’m hoping that she’ll be the next Bachelorette, although I think it might be Ali, what with that whole weird hotel call back to Jake and everything.

Hm, thoughts about the Bachelor much? bahaha…. By the way, you should totally share your thoughts on the whole ordeal. Pleeeeease.

5. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:21 AM  |  reply

Oh girl, lets talk about the Bachelor. I was holding back huge tears in last weeks episode where Ally left. She was my favorite! She was sassy, but down to earth and she stood up for herself. I am not a fan of Vienna. Personally, I am thinking to myself, she is 23… she does not need to be on this show. Also, just something about her doesn’t feel “right”. I really like Tenley though. She is so incredibly sweet!!!

*sigh* The only reason I started watching is because Jake is from the town I went to college (aka Denton, TX not Dallas). But then I get all caught up in the drama and the game and it comes out that I really am a girly girl who loves romance and girls be catty towards one another.

6. Ans
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

I don’t think Jake picks anyone. He said on the preview that he has to be 100% sure, and I think he’s too confused and makes them both cry. I’m just sayin…

But IF he picks Vienna, I really am NOT going to watch the show again. Really. I mean it this time.

PS: Ali is the next bachelorette. Does anyone else see that coming?

7. Kristi Kay
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:57 AM  |  reply

I’m with ya on the snow. The DC snow was fun and beautiful while it was coming down…but now we have these massive, dirty snow piles that will be here until April.

The Bachelor…I tried. I watched the first episode, but had to turn it off when they all started playing girl football.

8. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:10 AM  |  reply

We just sponsored a Compassion kid too. Beatrice from Ghana. It’s awesome.

9. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

I like a nice snow just as much as the next guy, but I am so OVER it now. If I wanted to perfect my snow shoveling skills I would move up North…I live in the South for a reason! (Actually more than one, ’cause I love some sweet tea.)

As for my dear Jake, I only thought he was a good guy with good taste. Turns out he’s just a shinier version of every other Bachelor. Why do I continue to watch this show????

10. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM  |  reply

ohhh that Bachelor. Ya know the guys have NEVER picked the right girl, they just get too carried away with the whole “process” and can’t think straight. I am so rooting for him to make the right decision and pick Tenley….

11. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:06 AM  |  reply

My neice was on the first episode of the Bachelor (Kimberly from Oklahoma) but he didn’t keep her around, so I quit watching. 🙁

I am so ready for Spring. It’s about this time of year that I start wearing Spring-ish clothing hoping that it will make the warm weather appear, because I know that Mother Nature watches my clothing choices and provides the appropriate weather. Okay, so maybe it doesn’t happen that way, but it SHOULD! 😉

12. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:17 AM  |  reply

ummmm…the bachelor…
    embarrassed that i watch it. check.
    have an excuse. check.
    you will be happy to know that my little brother dated corrie and they are sweet friends of our family.
    = insider info….
    needless to say i have been fully involved in the bachelor this season.

13. Emily
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:21 AM  |  reply

As a southern girl who lives in DC, believe you me… so OVER snow!! I’ve found myself more unable to watch the bachelor than ever this season – I’ll start watching and then have to turn the channel. Ugh – Vienna. I’m afraid she’s going to win.

14. Lindsey
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM  |  reply

As cute as Tenley seems…and as much as everyone likes her, I am a little curious why someone who has been divorced less than a year, from a husband who cheated on her, and who has only been with 1 man her entire life, which is admirable in my opinion, would go on a “reality” show centered around a man skanking his way through 25 women? No one is what they seem on that show in my opinion. Jake seems less real than anyone I have ever seen on the show. I mean a 32-year old man from TX, who has Vienna, a 23-year old, hooters waitress, with a questionable past including a divorce, and subsequent clearing of his bank account, from a soldier while he was in Iraq, as one of his final girls is clearly not the brightest bulb.

15. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM  |  reply

The Bachelor… oh, dear. What an educational way to observe modern dating culture! But for real, I hope Jake ends up alone. The kid obviously has no idea what he wants. He is almost as dramatic as a woman. There. I said it. I’ve spoken my peace 🙂

16. Lindsey
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM  |  reply

…and if Vienna “wins,” what exactly is her prize?

17. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:56 AM  |  reply

I also am a southern girl at heart. Except that — I’ve never lived in the south. And my husband refuses to move there. So I just like to pretend. 😀 And the pretending is getting much more difficult since last week when I realized that soon I won’t be able to see out my windows due to the 50 (or 2) feet of snow that’s piling up outside.

18. Karen
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM  |  reply

I finally realized my weather comfort zones. They are narrow–68-72 degrees, Fahrenheit. And that’s 68 degree for the summer, 72 for winter. Thanks for making that happen.

19. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM  |  reply

I’m a Californian that is actually enjoying the cold/snow we’ve had in Eastern NC. But I’m weird like that. So Cal has four seasons. Sunny and warm. Sunny and warm. Sunny and warm and Sunny and cool. But it’s nice to have the actual four seasons when I’m on the east coast.

As for The Bachelor…I’m pretty sure he’s picking Vienna. At least that’s what all the talk is pointing to. Although, I keep hoping that the source of all the rumors about this was fed incorrect information. I just don’t know how I can watch another season of The Bachelor/Bachelorette thing if he picks Vienna.

20. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 1:22 PM  |  reply

I just have to weigh in on el’ bachelor! I’m ticked he kept Vienna and I think that a couple of the other commenters are right. He’s not so values wholesome mature as ABC is making him out to be. I’m kinda disappointed. I had high hopes for him.

21. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM  |  reply

i lived in michigan from the time i was born until i went to college. and then i went to college in indiana. i moved to nash 3.5 years ago. this is the most snow i’ve ever seen here. i’m more of the “i actually miss midwest winters” persuasion. i.love.snow.

i, however, do not love nashville’s reaction to snow. i’m convinced the city has decided our children do not need to be educated.

22. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM  |  reply

My prediction is that he doesn’t pick either one. And then goes and finds Allie. However, the way they played up the preview section for the finale makes it look so much like he doesn’t pick either one, that I’m sure he picks Vienna. In which case, he better brace himself for the wrath of all womanhood. It’ll be like the Egyptians drowning in the Red Sea except it’ll be Jake drowning in female hormonal surges.

23. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM  |  reply

oh the bachelor….my “bonding time” with my mom..haha! but yes, I do like Tenley very much, but am so confused as to who Jake really is and why oh why do they have to have all these fantasy suite cards to give out ALL the time… :S

24. Abby
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:57 PM  |  reply

I lived in CO for 9 years, then moved to GA. After 4 years of being in GA, this is the first year I’ve seen snow at all! We had a good 3 inches, which is amazing for GA. I think that this year has just been unusually cold.

Personally, I love the cold and the snow, but everyone here seems to want spring to arrive already. I think I’m the only one who would actually enjoy a few more months of winter/snow. 🙂

25. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM  |  reply

In that case, do not ever come visit me except in July or August. And even that’s questionable.

Love,
    The girl who has moved to a place where there is snow until (wowsers) at least June

26. posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:19 PM  |  reply

My thoughts on life in general:

I’m tired tonight. Possibly because I stayed up way too late watching men’s figure skating (and other unproductive late night television).

I, too, am tired of being cold (even here in Houston) and wearing the same TWO sweaters and TWO sweatshirts over and over. One can only layer so many cotton t-shirts and stay warm.

I have no thoughts about the bachelor as I haven’t seen an entire episode this season. Okay, I have one thought, based on the teaser ad they keep playing of the chick who fooled around with a staff member and then tried to play the “that’s my personal business” card. Whatever. Hello. If you go on a national TV show to try to find a husband, you HAVE no personal business.

I enjoy your blog!
    Andrea

27. shireen eldirdge
    posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM  |  reply

You must have read my mind when you wrote this. That is how I feel everyday in what we have called Snowmaha!!! Hope you make it through the rest of winter…I am learning that I am such a Southerner at heart and always will be when it comes to some things…like weather.

28. posted on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM  |  reply

yeah, i’m kinda over the whole snow thing too!! and we in MI still have another month of two til it will cease 🙁 boo!! :

29. Debs
    posted on Feb 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM  |  reply

The snow is pretty..for a while but bring on the spring temps and sunshine!
    The Bachelor…somewhat addictive..wondering if I should give it up for Lent! My son escorted Corrie in a friends wedding..she is way too fine for Jake! Tenley is also too fine for him…I think Vienna is the one…but it won’t last. Kinda sad that they are “selling” shop around for your mate including “taking the room key”!

30. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM  |  reply

Hate winter. I plan to never move north of San Antonio!