World Cup Part 2

on June 25, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 10 comments by

If you didn’t see the US game on Wednesday morning, I’m sorry for you. Because good gracious it was a beaut.

Please take a few minutes and watch this AMAZING video from Landon Donovan’s goal scoring moment. [I tried to embed it, but it isn’t working. Trust me, I’ve wasted 45 minutes of my LIFE on this. I’m just going to have to hope you click.]

I mean, if that doesn’t bring a tear to your eye, I don’t know what will. I certainly hope the US team (and Landon Donovan in particular) see this video. What a tribute to their hard work and dedication when, 3.75 out of every 4 years, our country couldn’t care less about them.

And I am TOTALLY going to be that woman in the peach suit, saddled up to the bar at 8am, watching World Cup 2038.

Also, just for kicks, here’s the link to where I was on Wednesday morning-

WKRN.com- “Fans go wild as U.S. defeats Algeria, advances”

And…. here’s the video of our crowd going NUTS when Landon scored. You can’t see me, but if you watch, there is a girl holding a flag at the beginning of the clip- I’m right below her.

At the risk of overdoing it, here’s the link to the video of us LOSING OUR MINDS when Donovan scored.

I have never NEVER had an experience like that. [Sorry, Georgia Bulldogs, but it is true.] And I’ll tell you, that may have been the most fun I have ever had at a sporting event. My adrenaline was pumping for about 5 hours afterwards.

USA plays Ghana tomorrow [I love the Black Stars, so it’s almost a divided loyalty. ALMOST.] and I’ll be in Marietta with the family, but we will be watching.

This World Cup has been a pile of fun already and we’re only 2 weeks in (3 more to go). But my dear buddy Wes wrote a great post yesterday about how important it is for our country to embrace soccer. A great read for your Friday.

Here’s what I want to know: where were you when Landon Donovan scored the game winning / group winning / team advancing goal?

1. posted on Jun 25, 2010 at 4:32 AM  |  reply

More important even is the fact that the USA ended up TOP of their group. The one that England is in. The one where England came second, and just qualified for the last 16. The one where so help me, they face the German team on Sunday. Go USA – you can beat Ghana!

2. posted on Jun 25, 2010 at 5:44 AM  |  reply

It was a great game indeed! I was a an American restaurant called Mike’s Place….the only one in Tel Aviv πŸ˜‰

3. Daniel
    posted on Jun 25, 2010 at 8:00 AM  |  reply

Good stuff, Annie D. I was fortunate enough to be watching the last 15 minutes or so in my office (thank you ESPN3.com), and I definitely let out a loud enough whoop to blow my cover. And I’ll definitely be watching this weekend.

The Donovan goal was a special moment and I probably would have enjoyed it more in a group setting, but I’d say its only in the top five of my most fantabulous sports moments, somewhere in the mix with the Hobnail Boot (UGA over UT 2001), Green to Johnson (UGA over Auburn 2002 to win the SEC East), the Endzone Party (UGA over Fla 2007), and the original Blackout (UGA over Auburn 2007).

Just my humble and obviously Dawgly opinion.

4. posted on Jun 25, 2010 at 8:11 AM  |  reply

I missed it. I was at the hospital holding a newborn. But my soccer playing son watched. Go USA!!

5. posted on Jun 25, 2010 at 8:25 AM  |  reply

Oh my word. That video of the crowd going crazy gave me chills. And I thought that could only happen with an SEC-sanctioned sporting event. πŸ™‚

6. posted on Jun 25, 2010 at 8:27 AM  |  reply

Where was I? Stuck at work with no video of the game. But I was furiously updating my browser to keep up with the scoring (or lack thereof) until that glorious injury time goal. I may have yelled to my patients, “THEY SCORED!!!”….and my patients may have had no idea what I was talking about because I wasn’t supposed to be watching a soccer game on the internet. Anyway, I actually watched it much later that night and it was almost as thrilling as if I’d seen it in real time. To think, I’d never even seen a soccer game until my first year in college and now I’m risking productivity just to keep up with a score. Gotta love it.

7. posted on Jun 25, 2010 at 9:11 AM  |  reply

Awwww man! I’m missing out! My 9-5 has got me missing it all.

8. posted on Jun 25, 2010 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

I love that video. I actually found it because Landon Tweeted about it yesterday, so yea, he and his teammates have seen it!!

9. posted on Jun 25, 2010 at 11:27 AM  |  reply

Honestly, I haven’t watched one second of the World Cup. But, watching that video makes me wish I had been. I got chills & tears in my eyes. Now I need to find the schedule online. ;D

10. posted on Jun 26, 2010 at 6:30 AM  |  reply

I actually live in South Africa (I am American my hubs is South African!) Anyways… sadly, we don’t have a TV, which I’m okay with , except when it comes to watching the USA in the world cup πŸ™‚ But I was praying for them, even though I couldn’t watch:) hehe