TOP 5 FRIDAY: Rom Coms, y’all.

on March 2, 2012 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 36 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

A few weeks ago my friends and I went to see The Vow.

Now. I’m a crier. I really am. But due to some extenuating circumstances [i.e- I was feeling a little bitter and frustrated and had rolled my eyes a lot that day], I was not moved by the film. In fact, I did not prefer it at all.

Me thinks I’ll never watch it again.

I’m sorry. It’s not that Channing Tatum isn’t beautiful. He is. It’s that the whole set-up, though true, is weird and too dramatic for me and I wanted to scream “OH RIGHT IT ALL WORKED OUT IN THE 85 MINUTES I’VE BEEN SITTING HERE BECAUSE THAT’S REAL LIFE.”

Like I said. Bitterness. Eye-rolling.

And I was wishing for a romantic comedy, my favorite of the movie genres.

There are some Rom Coms that come on television and I watch it no matter what. There are some I can quote at the drop of a hat and some that bring a smile to my face the moment I remember it.

Per usual, I can only list five, leaving many for you to blog about / comment about and many more that I love dearly.

So here are my Top 5 favorite romantic comedies!

1. You’ve Got Mail

This is a given. It is my all-time favorite movie. New York in the fall. New York in the spring. A local book shop. An internet relationship. These are a few of my favorite things… And call me Crazy McCrazerson, but this movie makes me miss the 90s.

2. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

My friend Baker said just the other day, “you know that yellow dress? Everybody knows that yellow dress.” And I was kinda taken aback because yes of course I know the yellow dress. It’s one of the most beautiful dresses in the history of rom coms. I just didn’t realize that boys loved that dress too.

Noted.

I much prefer the Matthew McConaugheys to the Ryan Reynolds any day and this movie proves it true. And all the crazytown things that this girl does makes me want to be her friend real bad.

3. Notting Hill

In October, when I was with my friends in London, Kelli and I insisted on a trip to Notting Hill. We saw the Travel Book Shop, we saw where the blue door used to be, all of it. We made a point to say, “whoopsie daisy!” any time it fit, and sometimes when it didn’t. Such a fun British film. You need to see it again if it has been a while.

4. Serendipity

New York again. I can’t help it. That place owns a piece of my heart. If we want to get serious for about 45 seconds, I will say that I love this movie because I love how it makes us believe that we are out of control. I also love that a book is a central character. I just love it all. I want to watch it right now.

5. Just Like Heaven

I shall call this the dark horse of my list. You amy or may not have seen this one, but it is great. I mainly adore the apartment where the majority of this movie is set. [Movie apartments are always so awesome, aren't they?] Though the idea of it all is impossible, there is something beautifully hilarious about this storyline.

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What are your favorite romantic comedies? I know you have ‘em. Spill it.

[And... your thoughts on The Vow? Am I just a jerk?]
zv7qrnb

1. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 4:55 AM  |  reply

Um… Rom Com, yes, PLEASE!

I am a total sucker for a romantic comedy!!

Here are my faves:

1. Return to Me- so sad, so romantic, and the old men are adorable- they make the movie!

2. The Holiday

3. My BIg Fat Greek Wedding

4. Pretty Woman- I can still remember the first time I saw this movie at my cousins’ house. They were older. I felt like such a wild child. But the love story still makes my knees weak! I love Julia Roberts!

5. Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, or any of those AWESOME 80’s movies that rock the sappiness and Molly Ringwald.

Oh my word… Now I am totally hankering’ for a movie (marathon) night! Good thing it’s Friday!!

• posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 10:02 AM  |  reply

@elizabeth,
      Ok… so I have been thinking about this topic all day. Thanks, Annie!

I have to add The Princess Bride, Bridesmaids (the Language is really bad in this one), Sweet Home Alabama… Oh Mercy! Somebody stop me! I love the ALL!!!

2. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 6:33 AM  |  reply

I love a good RomCom. And I agree with you about the Vow, it was sweet but I didn’t love it.

Ok now Top 5, in no real order and yes I know almost all of them are set in NYC but I’m biased.

1. You’ve Got Mail
    2. When in Rome
    3. Serendipity
    4. While you were Sleeping
    5. The Holiday

3. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 6:48 AM  |  reply

I love your list!!! Thanks for sharing on a Friday. I think I need to watch some movies tonight. :)

4. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 7:21 AM  |  reply

Ooh good picks! “Just Like Heaven” is surely a good one.

My top 5 would have to be:

1. Return to Me
    2. The Holiday (I could watch this over and over and over)
    3. Sweet Home Alabama
    4. Friends with Benefits (i LOVE flash mobs)
    5. Can’t Buy Me Love (must stay true to my youth!)

Amazingly, I did a top 10 post about my fave romcoms, and these were NOT in the same order as they are here. Interesting how things can change depending on your mood. :-)

5. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 7:30 AM  |  reply

1. Princess Bride
    2. IQ
    3. An Ideal Husband
    4. Dave
    5. Kate & Leopold

I know most of these are old, but I have watched them all several times.

6. merideth
    posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 8:07 AM  |  reply

I really like your list of choices. I’ve seen all but the last one. I’ve actually never heard of number 5. I need to find that one and see it. I just saw part of Notting Hill on television recently, and really liked it, but I need to be able to see all of it. I was interupted by a phone call from a friend. Friends come before movies. I haven’t seen how to loose a guy in ten days since it was in the theater, and I love Mathew McConaughey too. In addition to the ones you mentioned, I like these:
    1. Sleepless in Seattle
    2. When Harry Met Sally
    3. Bed of Roses; One of the only movies I still like from my younger years of likeing Christian Slater and everything he did.
    4. Father of the Bride 1 and 2; Not sure that these count as romantic comedies, but I still include them.
    5. Honestly, there are probably a lot of movies I could put in this last slot, but I don’t have time right now.

7. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 8:16 AM  |  reply

Somehow I thought The Vow was based on a true story. I’m probably wrong.

1. You’ve Got Mail
    2. Roman Holiday (Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn are gorgeous.)
    3. The Quiet Man (John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara at their best.)
    4. Sweet Home Alabama
    5. Princess Bride/Sleepless in Seattle/Notting Hill – all favorites

8. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 9:00 AM  |  reply

I love movies so this is a fun.. and hard to answer.
    My list:
    1. Keeping the Faith (Another unknown movie but Ed Norton, Ben Stiller, and Jenna Elfman.. GREAT combination. You would love it cause it shows NYC off so well.)
    2. The Holiday (I want to trade places with someone like that.)
    3. You’ve Got Mail
    4. While You Were Sleeping
    5. Notting Hill
    Got to shout out to: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Return to Me, and Sweet Home Alabama.

By the way, you earned extra points in my book for Just Like Heaven. Most people have never heard of it and it’s not the traditional rom-com which both of these are what I love about it most. And the apartment is AMAZING!

• Amy W
      posted on Mar 03, 2012 at 9:10 AM  |  reply

@Sundi,
      I love Keeping the Faith, it’s so funny!
      “I can’t seem to be able to get you folks to sing it with any feeling. I mean, I brought in the band. That didn’t work. I brought in my bongos last week. I think we can all agree that was a backwards step.” :D

• posted on Mar 06, 2012 at 8:49 PM  |  reply

@Sundi, I love Keeping the Faith, too!

9. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 9:24 AM  |  reply

LOVE it.

1. You’ve Got Mail
    2. Something’s Gotta Give*
    3. The Holiday
    4. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
    5. Sweet Home Alabama

* My slightly random choice of the bunch. Love Diane Keaton’s character and the fabulous Hamptons house!

10. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 9:34 AM  |  reply

1. You’ve Got Mail.
    2. (500) Days of Summer.
    3. Notting Hill.
    4. Stranger Than Fiction. (is this a rom-com?)
    5. Bridesmaids. [the moment when Kristin Wiig hears her BFF is engaged is perfect.]

11. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

Our lists are almost identical! The yellow dress, the bouquet of newly sharpened pencils, the glove floating from the sky and the half wave with tear filled eyes… I CAN HARDLY STAND IT and I need to watch all these back to back soon and very soon! :)

I need to see Just Like Heaven – but also on my list – “Only You” with Robert Downey Jr & Marisa Tomei. Have you seen it? It has a Serendipity-esque story line (although Only You came first) and most of the movie is set in Italy – hello, beautiful! :)

12. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 10:17 AM  |  reply

I have actually seen #5! :) Ok, here are a few I can watch over and over:

1. French Kiss
    2. Mickey Blue Eyes (My dark horse – might be just straight-up comedy, but there is a Hugh Grant relationship at the center!)
    3. Two Weeks Notice
    4. The Proposal
    5. Barefoot in the Park

13. Lauren
    posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 10:19 AM  |  reply

I felt the exact same way about The Vow! I, too, was guilty of some major sighing (not in the good way) and eye-rolling throughout the entire film. Then when we were leaving the theater and my friends were gushing over how wonderful it was, I began to wonder if I was dead inside. Kidding, but seriously…not a fan of that movie, and I’m the one that cries during a Folgers commercial so go figure.

14. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 10:22 AM  |  reply

My top two are Roman Holiday and You’ve Got Mail. I have lots of others that I enjoy, but those are definitely my favorites.

15. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 10:22 AM  |  reply

As I’ve been thinking over my list before leaving this comment I realize that they’re all pretty bad movies…in the sense that they’re kind of poorly written and in some cases poorly acted…but I can’t help it! I love them!

1. Definitely, Maybe
    2. Alex & Emma
    3. You’ve Got Mail (obvi)
    4. Boys & Girls
    5. The Wedding Planner

:) :)

16. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 10:35 AM  |  reply

1. I.Q. (the old guys in this are even more hilarious than the ones in Return to Me)
    2. Mamma Mia (I laugh out loud every time! It’s impossible to take a singing Pierce Brosnan seriously.)
    3. Sweet Home Alabama
    4. Just Like Heaven
    5. Alex & Emma

17. Sheyna
    posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

You are not a jerk for not loving The Vow. Yes, Channing Tatum was the best part of the movie. But the book that the movie was “based” off of is amazing. A truly godly couple. It’s too bad Hollywood changed up the real story as much as they did. Read the book & see if you don’t love love love it!

18. Russanna
    posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 11:08 AM  |  reply

Love the list! Serendipity and You’ve Got Mail are definitely on mine. I’d add While You Were Sleeping, The Holiday, and my very favorite: Say Anything. It’s the funniest and most romantic movie out there! Happy Friday!

19. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 11:09 AM  |  reply

Love this Top 5!

1) You’ve Got Mail
    2) Runaway Bride
    3) Pride & Prejudice!! (the new one – saw it before I’d ever read the book… i know it’s way different, but I love it on it’s own.)
    4) While You Were Sleeping
    5) The Family Man

20. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 11:23 AM  |  reply

1. Pretty Woman
    2. Sweet Home Alabama
    3. Must Love Dogs
    4. Love Actually (is this a rom com? it’s def romantic, but i’m not sure how funny it really is…)
    5. Under the Tuscan Sun (also maybe not a rom com? but who can resist Diane Lane in Italy)

21. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 11:40 AM  |  reply

Ooh, this is going to be tough to narrow down. I have not seen The Vow but it’s based on a true story so it’s kind of funny you had the reaction you did. I give you major props for including Just Like Heaven!

1. While You Were Sleeping
    2. When Harry Met Sally
    3. French Kiss
    4. 500 Days of Summer
    5. Sweet Home Alabama

Honorable mentions: Runaway Bride, The Holiday, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, He’s Just Not That Into You (minus any scene with Scarlet Johannsen), 27 Dresses

• Kim
      posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 12:03 PM  |  reply

Oh man, I just made my post of my 4 faves, but you reminded me of 500 Days of Summer and He’s Just Not That Into You! Those are so good too!

22. Kim
    posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 12:01 PM  |  reply

Ok, I’ve never commented on a Top 5 post before, but this is so fun! I could only think of 4 as far as “favorites”…

1. The Holiday–I just love this movie. Even though at first I didn’t think Cameron Diaz’s acting was very good.
    2. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days–I agree with you on this one–it’s so darn funny!
    3. 50 First Dates–I’m not even a huge Adam Sandler fan, but this movie is so sweet.
    4. The American President–this is one of my all time favorites, so of course it has to make the rom com list.
    (Maybe Pretty Woman could be #5?)

23. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 1:41 PM  |  reply

IQ is a great movie! So funny! And yes, really ridiculous and cheesy but it is a favorite. Have you seen that one Annie?
    You’ve Got Mail is also in my top 5, I always watch it when I’m sick because seeing Meg Ryan get daisies makes me feel better. :)
    Also How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, once I made a “creepy future children” scrapbook for my friends when they got married and have also received a “love fern” from a friend in the past..
    Hitch is a funny one too! And for #5.. maybe Emma?

24. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 2:00 PM  |  reply

I love your list. Although I have to admit, I’ve never seen Notting Hill or Serendipity. My list is similar.

1) You’ve Got Mail (best movie ever)

2)Sleepless in Seattle

3)How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days

4)Lakehouse

5)Letters to Juliet (Leans real far on the cheesy side, but I love it!)

Picking just five is really hard!

25. g
    posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 3:55 PM  |  reply

I dont care who you are, Sweet Home Alabama almost beats any movie.

That scene where she sees her high school friend with her baby in the bar and she says, “Yes, this ones still on the tit so I can cart him anywhere” gets. me. every. time.

26. posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 5:22 PM  |  reply

This is fun! Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan easily take my top two spots…
    1. Sleepless in Seattle
    2. You’ve Got Mail
    3. Notting Hill
    4. When Harry Met Sally
    5. While You Were Sleeping

27. Travis
    posted on Mar 02, 2012 at 11:30 PM  |  reply

I took my girl friend to see The Vow. It was the worst. How are you going to name a movie “The Vow” when the couple gets divorced 40 minutes into it? So dumb.

Also, I refuse to give you ladies Princess Bride. That is not a Romantic Comedy. It is a classic. If you disagree, I’ll sick the ROUSes on you.

28. posted on Mar 03, 2012 at 12:39 PM  |  reply

Oh, I think I have to do a post and link to you :)

29. posted on Mar 05, 2012 at 10:06 AM  |  reply

I’m late to this party, but I had to share my two cents anyway. Picking my top five favorite romantic comedies is like asking me to pick which foot is my favorite. I need them both, so there’s no way to decide. I enjoy most of the ones on your list, but a few more to consider or at least honorable mentions:
    “13 Going on 30″
    “The Holiday”
    “When in Rome”
    “Sweet Home Alabama”
    “27 Dresses”
    “Definitely Maybe”
    “A Lot Like Love”
    “Love and Basketball”
    And anything with Julia Roberts. “Notting Hill” never gets old.
    OK, see? I told you it would be hard for me to choose.
    On another note, I’ve been reading your blog for only a few weeks, but we have so much in common, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading. Thanks for everything you share Annie!

30. posted on Mar 05, 2012 at 6:41 PM  |  reply

You aren’t a jerk…I saw it with my friends and we were all disappointed in the ending.

My top 5
    1. You’ve Got Mail (This is why I love New York)
    2. Runaway Bride (Because I just love Julia Roberts)
    3. 27 Dresses (I can relate…and I love James Marsden.)
    4. The Proposal (So many funny parts…and Ryan Reynolds.)
    5. While You Were Sleeping (My sisters and I used to watch this all the time. I think we wore out our VHS copy)

31. posted on Mar 06, 2012 at 8:52 PM  |  reply

I love this game. Love, love, love.

1. You’ve Got Mail
    2. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
    3. Two Weeks Notice
    4. The Wedding Planner
    5. Sweet Home Alabama

Also, I love Definitely, Maybe – but I don’t necessarily call it a romcom.

As for The Vow, well, I am quite fond of Channing Tatum (Can I get a what-what/fist bump/high five for Step Up? Anyone?), but I won’t see that movie. I figure it will a) annoy me like it did you and/or b) make me mad at my husband for not being romantic enough. Neither one is a good thing, so I’ll just skip it.

32. posted on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM  |  reply

Well it’s Wed. and I was supposed to do this on Friday. Or, at least that’s what I think. Oh well. That is my life right now- running behind!!

These are my favs.
    1. You’ve Got Mail
    2. Just Like Heaven
    3. Serendipity
    4. Never Been Kissed
    5. Sleepless in Seattle (horses, horses, horses)

Anyway. I’m a nut about love and NYC. As for The Vow- my mom’s group went to go see it, but I skipped out. Kinda glad I did now. HA!!
    PS I love your blog- it is sooo real.