TOP 5 FRIDAY : A Nashville Brunch.

on April 20, 2012 in Nash-livin', TOP 5 FRIDAY with 35 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

I have some friends coming in town today [squeeeeal!] and I think I’m going to make them eat brunch three times in two days. I know that math doesn’t exactly work out, but I have faith in our ability to eat the right meals at the wrong times.

Because brunch in Nashville is pure joy.

Here are my Top 5 favorite brunch spots around Nashville….

1. Pancake Pantry

Similar to, but better than: International House of Pancakes

What I order: Cornmeal pancakes with honey

Don’t miss: Pancakes. Duh. Or the celebrity spotting – they love this place.

Etc.: There is almost always a line. Like a WHOA line, especially on Saturday mornings. If you can, go on a weekday or go at weird hours- it is open, serving breakfast, from 6am – 3pm [I KNOW TOO MUCH].

. . . . .

2. Sky Blue

Similar to, but better than: Waffle House [though you KNOW I love the Waffle House… this has similar types of food, just MUCH better quality]

What I order: Em’s bowl… eggs, potato, biscuit, cheese, gravy. [Do not judge me, people.] And their chai is amazing.

Don’t miss: Stuffed French Toast Pancakes. Holy sweet deliciousness.

Etc.: Sky Blue is so good but has limited seating, so go there with a back-up plan in case it is full of East Nashville peeps drinking their coffee black and talking about the music biz and their love for dogs. [I heart East Nasty. Seriously.]

. . . . .

3. Frothy Monkey

Similar to, but better than: Starbucks

What I order: Oatmeal with bananas, blueberries, and walnuts.

Don’t miss: The coffee. I’m not a coffee drinker, but for those who are, this place holds a special spot in their caffeinated hearts.

Etc.: Frothy Monkey is my jam. I love that place. So if you come to brunch there, let me know and there is a good chance we will run into each other. It’s happily happened before and will hopefully happen again.

. . . . .

4. Germantown Cafe

Similar to, but better than: your local fancy breakfast joint

What I order: shrimp and grits and I make no apologies about that.

Don’t miss: They have these yeast rolls that are rolled in cinnamon sugar. That’s all I’m gonna say about that.

Etc.: There are two locations now. You can either go to the original one in, not surprisingly, Germantown, or the new location in East Nashville. Germantown is really cute, but can get crowded. East Nashville isn’t as cute, but always has seating.

. . . . .

5. Marche

Similar to, but better than: La Madeleine

What I order: The menu at Marche changes seasonally [which I LOVE], so there is just no consistent order. But I will say this- I have never had a meal at Marche that wasn’t BEYOND. I’m sure you know what I’m trying to say there.

Don’t miss: The pastries. They are awesome.

Etc.: I fell in love with Nashville over a Marche brunch. And I fall back in love every time I go.

. . . . .

A few of these restaurants are open for more meals than just breakfast/brunch, so just tuck that info into your back pocket.

YOUR TURN!

If you live in Nashville, share your favorite brunch spot!

If you live outside of Nashville, why not tell us the best brunch place in your town?

[If you are headed to town soon, you might also want to check out my Top 5 favorite Nashville lunch spots and my Top 5 favorite Nashville fine dining dinner restaurants. But I’m not the boss of you. Eat wherever you want. :)]

Have a great weekend, y’all!

1. posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 6:39 AM  |  reply

My sister lives in Nashville and when I was in town last she took us to Monells at the Manor for brunch. I am going to assume you have been there but if not get thee to Monells now! This girl has never had better soul food and cause it’s family style we got to meet some awesome random Nashville peeps too!

posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM  |  reply

Oh girl. I’ve only been there once, but it was unbelievable. I need to add that to my list for sures.

2. posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 7:44 AM  |  reply

Oh how I miss Nashville! They all sound yummy!

I live in Atlanta and although I’m not much for brunch, apparently we have some pretty awesome brunch spots! So you’ve now encouraged me to scout them out!

posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM  |  reply

Flying Biscuit. Try it.

• Anna
        posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM  |  reply

I ate there last Saturday. Yummy!

• Sally
      posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

Annie’s Atlanta-livin’ sister here. Lauren, I had to chime in and give you some more Atlanta brunch places that I L.O.V.E.
      1. Highland Bakery
      2. Home Grown
      3. Ria’s
      4. Radial
      5. West Egg

You will not be disappointed.

3. posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM  |  reply

i feel as though it is a dishonor to pancake pantry to not mention their sweet potato pancakes. it’s all i ever get. actually – i get the small appetite plate (1 egg, 2 pieces of bacon or sausage, 3 buttermilk pancakes) and i substitute the 3 buttermilk for 2 sweet potato. that way i get a little protein, and the salty bacon balances the uber sweet pancakes.

i haven’t been to three of the places you mentioned. i feel like a bad nashvillian. especially considering one of the three is marche.

posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM  |  reply

NEVER BEEN TO MARCHE?!? The shame, Holly. The shame. :)

Yes. I know people love those sweet potato ones, I just can’t resist the cornmeal!

4. Jaimee
    posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM  |  reply

Such good choices! I am ashamed to say I don’t get out of Franklin much, but I am obsessed with brunch at 55 South on Main Street. The Lost Bread is ridiculous and they use blue cheese grits for their shrimp and grits. It’s perfection.

Maybe I’ll venture out a little to try some of your suggestions….

posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM  |  reply

I need to brunch more in Franklin. I always forget how awesome it is.

5. posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM  |  reply

I have only recently realized that my life is seriously lacking in the Brunch department. I have never been to three of those five places.
    I do like the Pfunky Griddle, though. I get the 5-grain pancakes with bananas and/or chocolate chips.

I’ll be at the Dave Barnes’ concert tonight, too. Maybe we’ll see each other!

posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM  |  reply

Yes! I love that place and I actually get the EXACT same thing. Twinsies!

Can’t wait for the show tonight! It’s gonna be awesome!

6. posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM  |  reply

oh brunch, you are my favorite. agreed on the marche & sky blue & germantown. i do think PP is over-rated :)
    and note on marche for “not to miss” >> croissant french toast. totes amaze balls.
    honorable mention — the new west end cafe, on, not surpisingly, west end. went this wknd & it’s pretty yum.
    and mas tacos has breakfast burritos for brunch on the wknd. a little-known fact :)
    xoxo.

posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM  |  reply

I saw you instagram a pic of that place– it’s good? What did you have?

Yay for mas tacos. :)

7. posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM  |  reply

Love this! I’m going to the Nashville area on Sunday to visit my best friend for the week. We’re going to have to check out a few of these places…thanks for the inspiration!

posted on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM  |  reply

Where did y’all decide to eat??

8. posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM  |  reply

I’ve been here for 4 months now and I’ve never been to any of those places. For shame.

posted on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM  |  reply

Shameful. Get to eatin’, sister. :)

9. posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM  |  reply

I adore Marche. Adore! I hadn’t heard of Sky Blue before so I’ll be checking that out soon. I agree with Marisa about PP being overrated. I tend to only go there when I have company in from out of town. The Perch and Puffy Muffin deserve honorable mentions. I’ve heard good things about the brunch at The Listening Room, too.

posted on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM  |  reply

I do like the Puffy Muffin, but I don’t head down to Brentwood much.

Where is The Listening Room?

10. mandy falgout
    posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM  |  reply

hmmmm….brunch in nashville….

a place you did not mention that i enjoy and like is the pfunky griddle over in berry hill. i also really like noshville…their french toast is killer!!!

posted on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

Yes yes yes. Banana and chocolate chip pancakes from there are delish! :)

11. Breanne
    posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM  |  reply

I was also going to add Monell’s to your list. I loved that place when I lived in Nashville. Now I live in Los Angeles. My favorite places are The Larchmont Bungalow and Jack’s N Joe. If you go to Larchmont, you have to get their red velvet pancakes. It is seriously the best thing I have ever eaten! Jack’s N Joe is a pancake place. (Jacks for flap jacks and Joe for coffee!) Everything is good there but I love their buckwheat pancakes. If you are ever in LA, let me know! I could definitely take you to some great places.

posted on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

We actually ended up going to Monell’s thanks to you and the others who mentioned it. It was BEYOND delicious.

12. posted on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM  |  reply

yuuuum. now i’m hungry.

posted on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

I hear ya. :)

13. Louise
    posted on Apr 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM  |  reply

Oh I cannot wait to visit Nashville! Just found out I have relatives who live near so better start my flight fund!

posted on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

Let the call of the brunch options lead you here. :)

14. posted on Apr 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM  |  reply

I love all of these! Another place I love is Fido!

posted on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:36 AM  |  reply

Yes yes yes. I have a standing breakfast with girls each week at Fido. Can’t believe I left it off the list! Oops. :)

15. posted on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM  |  reply

You have to try Pfunky Griddle! They’re closed on Mondays, but you have to go. You get to cook your own pancakes there! :)

posted on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:36 AM  |  reply

Agreed. It is a favorite.

16. posted on Apr 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM  |  reply

I love the Perch (which is technically Brentwood but close enough) and I’ve heard Tavern is awesome.

posted on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:36 AM  |  reply

I’ve heard the same about Tavern… may have to try it out this weekend.

17. Crissy