Thank you, Eve.

on January 4, 2013 in AnnieWrites with 9 comments by

In 2006, my former college roommate and good friend Eve gave me a notebook.

When she handed it to me, she said, “I think you should use it to write your book.” Writing was a new idea for me at the time, and to have someone [besides family] so quickly stand beside me and encourage me to write meant so much.

I covered that notebook with scrapbook paper and one of my favorite scriptures [Lamentations 3:22-26] and then I set to work.

That's my notebook

And long before Zondervan published Perfectly Unique in 2012, I used the very first page to outline that book in the fall of 2007 – when it was a Bible study for a group of high school girls in my house.

book

[Skin? I seriously ever considered making "skin" a chapter? Have mercy.]

But the notebook has been used for every manner of writing you could ever imagine.

From jotting down directions [I am 100% directionally challenged]….

directions

to writing jingle lyrics with Ernie Halter….

we could have made millions

to planning out my first talk for Winshape camps.

I was so nervous.

It’s also been used for simple things like to-do lists…

must have had to do

[I must have forgotten to move my files that Saturday in 2008. Oops.]

and notes from classes at church.

I usually hate boot camps

But it also houses the more serious things – recapping my trip to Ghana in 2007….

ghana need to read these again

and debriefing from living in Scotland in 2011.

debrief

And most recently, I wrote all my notes from interviews that literally changed my life and brought me to tears for a book titled What’s Your Mark? that you will be able to buy soon. [Yes, I got to interview each of these people- it was crazy. I feel so honored to have worked on this book.]

Bob Goff

Gary Haugen

Katie Davis

Touched by an angel

But now, after over six years of writing of every type, my notebook is full.

I couldn’t believe it in November when I noticed I was down to just a few pages left, knowing I had two bios left to write in 2012.

I’ve never known my writing career without this gal around. My writing notebook has traveled to countries and lasted through the years and many words and lots of interviews and bios and dreams- it’s been the center of so many dreams come true.

But it’s full.

So I went shopping. Unceremoniously, I found this lovely green notebook on sale at Target. It’s the right size, I like the lines. My only complaint is that the pages are perforated. That could lead to some frustration sometime in the next six years.

green

So I bought it. I particularly liked that it matched by writing calendar… until I took a picture of them together and realized they are significantly different greens.

green on green

All this to say….

Thank you, Eve. Thank you for believing in me and my dream to be a writer. Thanks for the notebook. In the last six years, I used every page of that puppy. I built a career out of that notebook and God used to you to make that happen. White it may be full, it will never be far from me. It’s like an ebenezer stone- a reminder to me of God’s faithfulness thus far.

. . . . .

Who has believed in your dreams before they ever happened?

1. bethany
    posted on Jan 04, 2013 at 6:32 AM  |  reply

Oh, I love this! I am terrible about buying a notebook and then being afraid to start using it. Weird. So I loved seeing that you have a little bit of everything in your beloved notebook! What a treasure for you!

2. Patricia
    posted on Jan 04, 2013 at 7:48 AM  |  reply

Maybe you could take a little picture of the notebook from Eve and paste it inside a corner of one of the covers of the new notebook…then the new notebook is sort of like a Vol. 2? :) Just the idea that came to mind …

3. Eve
    posted on Jan 04, 2013 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

So… I started this day off with a good cry! So humbled to be a small part of God’s huge plan for your life. He was so good to me in bringing you and all the Cagle Castle girls into my life when He did. It changed me forever. I love watching how you continue to affect so many other girls with the Father’s message of love for them! Love you!

4. posted on Jan 04, 2013 at 1:25 PM  |  reply

I think that’s AWESOME, Annie! :)

5. posted on Jan 04, 2013 at 2:21 PM  |  reply

Love it, as someone who has a similar notebook over the last year and being frustrated that I don’t use it nearly enough as I expect to for myself.

Encouragers in your life dream are amazing and to be cherished!

PS you have lovely penmanship!

6. Beth
    posted on Jan 05, 2013 at 12:29 AM  |  reply

Your handwriting is awesome! (Off topic, but seriously, you could be your own font :)

7. posted on Jan 05, 2013 at 11:53 AM  |  reply

First of all: GOSH your handwriting is so awsome! WOW!

Mom actually always believe in me and she gave me my first beautiful notebook, because I always go around with a song in my head or a poem in my heart. Now I have a place to put them down and it’s altmost full.

BUT, one thing I got once was from my great grandma. I wanted to become a horsebackrider on a professional level, like showjumping and cross country riding. She bought me my first pair of riding boots just like that, before I even signed up for riding lessons and she just said: To fullfill your dream.

I had 17 years on the horseback showjumping and cross country riding, but never on a professional level because I got sick, but my passion and dreams about becoming a good horseback rider came true and I’ve been around horses now for 25 years.. Great Grandma made the dream come true.

8. posted on Jan 06, 2013 at 1:51 PM  |  reply

You got to interview GARY HAUGEN?! I have just turned so green with envy. I work for a safe-home for rescued girls in Cambodia (moving in May) and about died when he came out on stage at Passion the other day. This is so cool. You can count on me reading when it’s out!

9. posted on Jan 08, 2013 at 11:55 AM  |  reply

Love this post! And SERIOUSLY….an ‘Annie Downs handwriting’ font NEEDS to happen! :) (if I were tech savvy, I would have already done it for you :) Can you post beauteous pics of your handwriting every month–so fun and lovely. Blessings to you, friend!