TOP 5 FRIDAY: Wanna Reads

on January 11, 2013 in I heart books., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 32 comments by

I’m not a resolution type of gal. I’ve been through approximately 32 new years and I have yet to ever keep my New Year’s Resolutions.

I started failing at resolutions in the 2nd grade. So, as you can see, my issues are deep and long-lasting.

But I have a plan this year that I feel pretty good about.

In celebration of my 33rd year on Earth, I want to read 33 books in 2013. I’ve started a pinboard to keep focus. One down [almost] and 32 to go.

I’ve got a few books waiting in the queue and I can’t wait to read them. So in no particular order, here are my TOP 5 books I’m looking forward to reading in the next few months!

1. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey… this is thanks to Jenna, whom I think is pretty much pure adorable. She wrote about it this week and I immediately emailed it to our book club like PLEASE ADD THIS IN 2013!

2. Leading with a Limp by Dan Allender… last summer, I got to go to Knoxville and visit The Walk, the college ministry at Sevier Heights. Before we left that night, Tim Miller gave us each a copy of this book and pretty much anyone who leads a monster college ministry and hands me a leadership book? Yeah, I’m gonna read it.

3. Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle… This cover alone will make you want to read the book. I can’t wait to dive into Melanie’s first foray into book writing. She’s so so good on her blog, I’m sure the book will be even better. [This book doesn't actually release until the first week of February, but you can order it now and be surprised when it shows up at your door in a few weeks!]

4. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente… I read about this children’s novel in a magazine and I just knew I couldn’t resist it. I’m neck-deep writing non-fiction right now, so I love fairytale novels that are just fun reading. This one is waiting patiently for me at my local library’s hold shelf. I’ll be making a stop there today to nab it.

5. My One Word by Mike Ashcraft & Rachel Olsen… well, I know I already said I’m not a resolution kind of gal, but my friend Rusty swears by this book, so it’s sitting on the arm of my comfy chair waiting on me to crack it open. I’m gonna. I promise, Rusty.

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What books are you looking forward to reading in 2013?

p5rn7vb

1. Merideth
    posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM  |  reply

Hey, I get to be the first commenter today. Cool. I have a few books I’m going to read in the near future. I think I’m going to steal one from your list. Leading with a limp. I want to lead a small group of girls one of these days, so reading a leadership book I think would be good for me as I move towards this goal. Also, a friend and I are going to dive deeper in our faith and address some struggles we have been having(questions, doubts, etc.). In an effort to do that we are going to be reading a few books. Reason for God, Case for Christ, and the everlasting man. I also heard about a book called becoming a life changer. Jon Acuff mentioned it on his blog, and it sounded interesting. there are several counseling books I’ll read, too, for my professional growth. But, I won’t bore you with those ones. I’d like to find a good fiction book to read, but not sure what. I have to admit the children’s book you mention on here sounds apealing. I like fairy tales.

• posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM  |  reply

Have you read The Night Circus yet? It’s one of my favorite fiction reads right now.

2. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

Okay, small worlds in that I used to attend Sevier Heights and go to the Walk too. :)

My goal is 18 books this year. Four of those include the Game of Thrones series for fun. I’m also trying out an audiobook to help with my workouts.

• posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM  |  reply

No way! That’s an amazing ministry!

3. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM  |  reply

Wild Things: David Thomas
    Love Does: Bob Goff
    The Rules Of Inheritance: Claire Bidwell Smith
    Seven: Jen Hatmaker
    Wrecked: Jeff Goins
    Mended: Angie Smith
    5 Conversations You Must Have With Your Son: Vicki Courtney
    Boundaries: Cloud&Townsend
    Bossypants:Tina Fey

• posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM  |  reply

Bossypants may be the funniest book you ever read.

• Callie
        posted on Jan 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM  |  reply

I heard listening to Bossypants is even better than reading it. :)

4. Lindsey
    posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM  |  reply

My goal is to read 25 books! It didn’t even occur to me until now that I’ll also be turning 25! Seems appropriate now. :)

I want to read…
    Quiet by Susan Cain
    7 by Jen Hatmaker
    The Omnivores Dilemna (can’t remember the author’s name at the moment)
    Celebration of Disciplines
    The rest of the Harry Potter series
    Some Hemingway
    And some parenting books, since we’ll be having our first baby!

Yay, books!

• posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM  |  reply

I’ve never heard of the Omnivore’s Dilemma… what’s it about?

• Kelsey
      posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM  |  reply

Highly recommend Quiet! It’s great! And not just for introverts :) I also enjoyed Introverted Church.

5. Emily
    posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM  |  reply

The Circle Maker- Mark Batterson
    Les Mes- that might count for two books :)
    Heading Out to Wonderful- Robert Goolrick; I love anything that takes place in the south
    Love’s Winning Plays- Inman Majors; about love & SEC football
    Flight Behavior- Barbara Kingsolver

• posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM  |  reply

Circle Maker! Me too!!!!

6. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM  |  reply

You have to read “Alma Gloria and the Olive Tree” by Farrell Mason. She’s a local author, and you can pick up a copy at Parnassus. I just finished it, and it’s beautiful. You won’t be sorry, I promise. Happy reading!

• posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM  |  reply

YAY! I love Parnassus and I haven’t heard of this. Thanks for the rec!

7. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM  |  reply

I pre-ordered Sparkly Green Earrings (for my sisters and me) for Christmas and I can’t wait to get it! I’m not a mommy yet, but the teasers are just flat out moving and presh. On-line book club, perhaps? =)

• posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM  |  reply

Oooh…. I like that idea. I shall seriously consider it. :)

8. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM  |  reply

I am about to start, “How It All Began,” by Penelope Lively – we’ll see how it is, but I’m excited!

9. Sara
    posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM  |  reply

I want to start a mother daughter book club this year with my daughter and some friends. Their ages range between 10-13 years. Any fiction and non fiction reccomendations? Of course yours is on the list too! Thanks:) Seen you at GOG in Grand Rapids, MI and loved you!

10. Tori
    posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM  |  reply

Currently reading:

-The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy — and I’m even more excited about reading about The French Revolution after watching Les Mis last night!
    -Multiply by Francis Chan — Going through this with a co-worker. So good!

Just finished “Till We Have Faces” by C.S. Lewis. If you haven’t read it, you certainly should. The beginning is a little slow but builds to a gorgeous, moving ending.

Wanting to read: More Lewis, Hemingway, Thomas Hardy, etc

11. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM  |  reply

You can totally read 33 books this year. You’ve got this.

Did you track down a copy of Gone Girl yet? Because you definitely need to make that happen.

12. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM  |  reply

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
    Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling (I have to be honest and say I didn’t love Bossypants, so I hope I like this one better. For the most part, I thought she was trying too hard.)
    Crazy Love by Francis Chan (I can’t believe I haven’t read this yet.)
    Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller (Which I’ve already read, but try to read about every year)
    Radical by David Platt
    Gone With the Wind

There are also a LOT of unread books on my shelf, so I would also love to make a dent in some of those. I’m liking your 33 in 33 idea though!

• posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM  |  reply

Radical is a book I read every year now. Wrecked me, and continues to bring up new insights.

13. Holly
    posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM  |  reply

I’m reading My One Word at the moment. I attended Port City Community Church, which Mike Ashcraft pastors, up until last month when I graduated college. I’ve gotten the background of the My One Word deal the past few years from his sermons but I’m excited to really dig deeper into it!

14. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM  |  reply

I just finished “Start Something That Matters” by Blake Mycoskie which is awesome for just about anyone to read! I’m currently reading “Undaunted” by Christine Caine which, again, is an amazing book. I have a few others on the list (I received quite a few books at Christmas can’t you tell? ;)) like “Grace for the Good Girl” and some business books as I’m starting my own photography business.

15. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM  |  reply

Same Kind Of Different As Me
    Perfectly Unique (again, can we read this book to much??)
    Safe Heaven
    The Lucky One

if I can get trough that in 2013 I’ll be happy. Hopefully more.

16. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM  |  reply

But if I can reconmand one book, The Book Of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern is awsome!

17. posted on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM  |  reply

The Highly Sensitive Person – Elaine N. Aron
    Only Revolutions – Mark Z. Danielewski
    Kind of Kin – Rilla Askew
    The Knife of Never Letting Go – Patrick Ness
    Les Miserables – Victor Hugo

Five random picks from my “books I intend to read in 2013″ list on Goodreads. I’m aiming high this year with a goal of 40 (ahhh!) so we’ll see where this takes me :)

18. posted on Jan 12, 2013 at 8:10 AM  |  reply

Thanks for the suggestions. As a teacher that always has to read “kid books” sometimes I lose track of all the good “adult books” that are out there! I am trying to read Les Mis, but am having a hard time. Teaching my church middle schoolers from “Not a Fan” and “Multiply.” See you next month!
    Faith

19. posted on Jan 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM  |  reply

Thanks for everyone making my 2013 booklist for me! :)

20. posted on Jan 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM  |  reply

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I have been wanting some good fiction books to read, as my life has taken on some sobering non-fiction realities! None are bad realities, just very REAL and I have felt the need to get lost in a new book. So, Snow Child, here I come! Do you have any other Fiction suggestions? Maybe of Scottish influence?

Have you heard of Liz Curtis Higgs? She wrote the story of Jacob set in Scotland. I read them a few years ago and only remember liking them. =)

21. posted on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM  |  reply

ooh ooh ooh! I need to add these to my ever-growing stack. Will you let us know how they are when you finish? Thanks, Annie!

22. Debbie
    posted on Jan 23, 2013 at 12:07 AM  |  reply

Annie…

1. I just discovered your blog and I love you :)

2. I love your pintrest idea for books you’ve read
    — gonna have to think about doing that too.

3. I want to read like a bazillion books…but one I’m having a blast reading is “The Jesus Storybook Bible” by Sally Lloyd-Jones. Its “read by seminarians and theologians” don’t ya know — and I can see why!

Bless you Annie.