Rescuing Hope.

on February 13, 2013 in I heart books. with 10 comments by

*Friends, today’s blog post is about sex trafficking. Rated PG, versus our usual G. Consider this your heads-up.*

Susan

My friend Susan Norris has written an incredible book called Rescuing Hope. This is not a topic I write or read or speak about ever, so I probably wouldn’t have picked up this book on my own. But I am so glad I read it. It is impactful and powerful and honestly? Unbelievable.

Not unbelievable because it isn’t true. Unbelievable in the “are you say that REALLY happens, Susan?” kind of way.

I asked Susan to write for y’all about the reality of sex trafficking here in America. Because, sadly, it really happens.

. . . . . .

Human Sex Trafficking- the first time I heard the phrase my mind immediately went to Cambodia or Vietnam. That kind of thing doesn’t happen here, right? Wrong! As I sat listening to Mary Frances Bowley of Wellspring Living, she rattled off unbelievable statistics like:

• 300,000- the number of girls at risk of being trafficked each year
  • 7,200- the number of men every month who purchase sex with a minor in Atlanta
  • 200-500- the number of under aged girls trafficked each month in Atlanta
  • 12-14- the average age of a young girl bought and sold
  • 9- girls as young as 9 years old have been known to be trafficked in Atlanta
  • 7- the number of years a girl lives before she dies or is killed in the trade
  • 1- the number of people it takes to make a difference in this fight

She wasn’t speaking about a third world country; she was speaking about the United States, specifically Atlanta, Georgia. Unfortunately, Atlanta isn’t any more unique than Cambodia or Vietnam. This evil practice is not a respecter of geography or persons. It’s happening everywhere and it crosses every demographic.

This is an estimated $32 billion dollar a year industry world-wide. It is one of the most lucrative forms of criminal activity today, second only to illegal drug sales.

The mama bear in me rose up. I wanted to do something, had to do something. I just didn’t know what. I asked,

“Where’s the weak link in the fight?”

book coverThe answer was simple, awareness. Most people are not aware this is taking place in their own backyards. At Passion 2012, Louie Giglio said, “We don’t need any more statistics, we need stories. Stories motivate people to action.”

I set out to find the story. I sought to learn all I could on the issues. I interviewed organizations in the fight, detectives, survivors, families of girls being trafficked and even a former pimp. I gathered stories, their stories, and I wove them into one, Rescuing Hope.

Hope is a typical American teenager. She could be your neighbor, your daughter, your friend, you. Through following her journey, readers will gain insight into the issue and see how they can join the fight. Rescuing Hope is an awareness tool, a catalyst of conversation among peers, friends, and work associates. While it Rescuing Hope is fiction, what takes place in it is very real. It’s gritty. It’s necessary.

There are countless Hopes in our nation in need of rescuing. Will you join the fight? Will you raise your voice for hope?

. . . . .

Statistics that I can hardly get my mind around. But Susan has done a beautiful job of making those stats into a story that really could be about any of us. Have mercy, God.

To learn more about Susan Norris, go to www.susannorris.org. Let me also suggest you check out End It Movement- my girls who went to Passion 2013 have come home so motivated to make a difference and end slavery in our generation.

I hope you’ll read Rescuing Hope and I hope it changes you. I know it changed me.

1. Elisabeth
    posted on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:46 AM  |  reply

Oh, dear Jesus. This really happens…and in Atlanta? Somehow this hit really close to home. I think Susan’s approach is super wise, and I’m grateful she wrote this book.

• posted on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM  |  reply

Thanks, Elisabeth. It is a heartbreaking reality. I’ve tried to keep it PG-13 so the girls at risk would read it as well as anyone who parents them or works with them through school or sports. Thanks for your comment.

2. posted on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:04 AM  |  reply

It’s unbeliveble that these things happens right under our noses and we don’t see it, because it’s such a hidden “buisness”. We all have seen TAKEN, the movie right? And Lilja 4 Ever? About girls being kidnapped or tricked and they get sold off. It happens all around the world, and one time I heard that trafficing is more commin in the “ritch” countries than in the poor countries, but the vitctims is usually from poor countries.

Thanks for sharing this, I think I’ll have to get that book and read.

• posted on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM  |  reply

Sex trafficking crosses every demographic out there. Everyone needs to be informed. I’m glad you’re going to read Rescuing Hope. It’s available on Amazon, Barnesandnoble.com and Susannorris.org. Check the prices because the big companies had it on sale a couple of days ago. Go with the cheapest price. I’m not in it to make money. I want to get the word out. A portion of the proceeds go to Wellspring Living to help open more beds in their treatment facilities.

3. posted on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:35 AM  |  reply

Some friends of ours were in Atlanta for a speech tournament and one of the girls there was drugged while in a restaurant. She refused to go to the bathroom. They found out later one of the employees of the restaurant was helping with trafficking! What an eye opener. Yes, Lord, have mercy.

• posted on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM  |  reply

Wow! That’s a new one I haven’t heard. Thanks for sharing. Ecstasy is a common drug used. Girls will be given the drug and they’ll be gang raped. It’s horrible what these young girls have to live through.

4. Laurie
    posted on Feb 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM  |  reply

I actually just finished this book last night and immediately began to pray for the young girls stolen, their families, and law enforcement. Our hope is in the God who sees it all and gives us strength to fight against this.

• posted on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM  |  reply

Laurie,
      Thank you for reading Rescuing Hope and thank you for praying for God’s girls. There are so many “Hopes” out there in need of rescuing. Pray will pave the way for it to happen. Bless you!

5. posted on Feb 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM  |  reply

Thanks for telling me about this book. I just purchased “Rescuing Hope” at Amazon . It is a scary topic, but we need to know the truth.

6. posted on Feb 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM  |  reply

I’ve read a bit on human trafficking and I thought I knew how serious it was, but as I am a little shocked by this, apparently I didn’t know as much as I thought I did. I’m going to need to pick up a copy of “Rescuing Hope.” And soon.

The timing of this couldn’t have been more perfect, as just YESTERDAY (yes, I realize this blog post is from last week, but God’s timing, I guess ;) ), God placed a special burden on my heart for trafficked girls around the world and I wanted to start looking for a way to help. I’ll go ahead and mosey on over to Susan’s website now!