TOP 5 FRIDAY: Lent

on February 15, 2013 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 14 comments by

For the first twenty-two years of my life, I was Methodist.

I guess I’m not NOT Methodist now, but I just mean I attended Methodist churches growing up and now I don’t. But there are a few Methodists traditions that I hold onto fairly tightly, including celebrating the season of Lent.

You can take the girl out of the Methodist church, but you can’t take the Lent out of the girl, am I right? BooMama? Missy? Amen.

[New to Lent? Want to know more? Nobody better to tell ya than the ol' Methodists themselves.]

I really love Lent. It has always been a season that means a lot to me, even when the church I attend doesn’t practice it.

For the second year running, my Cross Point small group and I are celebrating Lent together and in an attempt to resource them with many-an-option, I thought I’d share with y’all some of the stuff I’ve found that I think is great.

[Yes, I realize Lent started a few days ago, but it's not too late to jump aboard if you would like!]

So in no particular order, except Ann is always my favorite, here are the TOP 5 Lent resources I’ve found for 2013!

1. Ann Voskamp

I totally want to do this Lent tree. I think it sounds incredible. I’m going to pull the pieces together this weekend. And since it is only 17 days, you aren’t behind! Fear not!

2. YouVersion Lent Reading Plans

I am a big fan of YouVersion and how it offers tons of bible translations totally for free. Also, there are always a blue million reading plans [as my mama would say]. The three Lent ones all look great to me, but I’m reading the Lent For Everyone that lasts a few extra days because it is written by N.T. Wright, whom I think is one of the coolest theologians alive.

3. 40 Reasons Jesus Died [don't click yet]

This is a free devotional as well from Resonate Church in Pullman, Washington. I like it- such an interesting take on the 40 days. When you click the link, it is an automatic download, just wanted to warn you of that. [Ok, feel free to click now.] :)

4. Rachel Held Evans 40 Ideas For Lent

Such a great list! Lots of ideas of books and things to ask your self and activities. Love it.

5. Pray-As-You-Go

I am a longtime fan of this daily short podcast. They play music, read you a scripture, ask some questions, then read the scripture again. I like to listen when I’m folding laundry or making lunch or something like that. Lent is my favorite time of the year for the podcast, though it is pretty awesome year round.

. . . . .

BONUS MATERIAL!

— Lent is celebrated by giving up something in order that you might have more time for God and have a 40 day season of more intentional focus on the Lord. Laugh at me if you want, but one of the things I’m giving up is games on my phone. I can waste a TON of time playing things like Temple Run. It has already been hard because I’m so used to played in my downtime!

— Each member of our small group is memorizing a scripture during Lent. I’ll be memorizing Hosea 10:12.

Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the LORD, until he comes and showers righteousness on you.

— I also made a Lent Worship youtube playlist last year, if you want some jams for your season.

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

Do you celebrate Lent? What’s are you giving up? Have a good resources to share?

p5rn7vb

1. Face
    posted on Feb 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM  |  reply

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how missionaries were probably a lot more connected with their host cultures pre-Internet. But that it has probably also enabled many missionaries to stay on the field longer. So, like everything, both good and bad things going on there.
    I don’t think it’s an option to give up the Internet altogether, but it is an option to limit it’s impact on my free time.
    All that to say– in attempts to avoid creating a vacuum, I’m giving up Facebook for Lent, and adding in more time specifically with the Czech neighbors on my street. Hope it can bear (bare?) some fruit.

2. posted on Feb 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM  |  reply

Hi Annie,
    I am just starting to blog…check me out if you get a chance…just rhetoric on family, friends, faith, and such…thanks!
    Allyson

3. posted on Feb 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM  |  reply

I was raised Catholic, so what I remember about Lent is not eating meat on Fridays. Haha. I am not Catholic now and for years did not observe Lent (it’s not really emphasized in the Southern Baptist Church much), but my current beloved pastor encourages members to observe the Lenten season. Last year I gave up Facebook, and it was HARD. I wasn’t going to do it again, but then I found myself on Tuesday night just mindlessly scrolling through my newsfeed and thought about all of the better ways I could be using my time. So adios to Facebook! I had my husband change my password so that I can’t even have the option of logging in.

What I didn’t consider is that I also will have to fast from Words with Friends, my FAVE game, because it’s synced with Facebook. :( I feel bad for the 10 people currently waiting on me to play because I have no way of even telling them why I’ve gone MIA. LOL

4. posted on Feb 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM  |  reply

Wow thanks for all the ideas! I kinda felt like I wanted to do something to celebrate lent, but really wanted it to be personal and understated. Better get thinking I suppose as it’ll be Easter before I know it!

5. posted on Feb 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM  |  reply

Thanks so much for this, Annie. I’ve celebrated Lent in the past in various ways. Last year, with a newborn baby who was nursing all the time, I decided to read through the four gospels during Lent instead of surfing the net or reading while I fed him. This year, though, as Lent has approached and I’ve been praying about what to give up (or add in!), I’ve just felt exhausted. A lot of this, I think has come from necessary changes that have already been made this year as I seek the Lord more purposefully. Then I read Ann Voskamp’s blog and didn’t know where to go from there (because if Ann Voskamp tells you to think about Lent, you think about Lent…if Ann Voskamp tells you to jump off a cliff, you jump off a cliff…if Ann Voskamp tells you to cut off your earlobe as a sign of service to Christ, well…). Anyway! I needed some new ideas that would be renewing instead of just something more, because Lent is a celebration as much as a time of abstention, a feast on Jesus as much as it is a fast from our selves, and I’m excited to check out some of the links you included, especially your Lent playlist. Thank you!

6. posted on Feb 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM  |  reply

I wasn’t raised celebrating Lent, even though I grew up in church it wasn’t something evangelical Christians did. That being said, I haven’t really ever thought about Lent beyond fish on Friday and giving stuff up. This year I’d like to be intentional about it, thank you for providing some great resources. I’m excited to check them out.

Also, I am giving up sweets, not only because it’s Lent but because my jeans are too tight ;) And I will be systematically purging the house through the 40 days. Spring cleaning with a spiritual bent, or something like that.

7. posted on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM  |  reply

Last year I was inspired by an idea from Karen Ehman to write and mail a card every day during Lent. A card of thanks, encouragement, or however the Spirit moved me. Instead of giving up something, it was a gift shared. She pointed out that it would mean giving of my time, stationery, postage and it was a blessing to me (and hopefully the recipients too). This is year 2 of my annual tradition.

8. posted on Feb 16, 2013 at 6:18 AM  |  reply

I love this Friday list, Annie. I began doing a few things for Lent a couple of years ago. Ann was my inspiration. I’m anxious to focus on this season and its meaning with my family this year. Thank you for the links.

9. posted on Feb 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM  |  reply

I am celebrating this year. I also gave up phone games, my fav is subway surfer and it’s so sad how much I miss it.

10. posted on Feb 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM  |  reply

Thanks for the resources! I’m giving up games (the non educational ones) on my iPad as well. It’s going to be hard for this tech teacher, but I have already realized how much free time I have! :)

11. posted on Feb 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM  |  reply

This is the first time I’ve taken Lent seriously and given something up that I intended to be committed to. I gave up Facebook. It may seem silly, but Facebook can be a serious time waster (which I’m sure many people can agree with that). The first day of Lent I was actually on fb all day because my dear friend went into labor at 1am that night and I had to be kept updated with everything. So today is only day two for me. So far, so good. I’m actually enjoying not getting notifications on my phone every fifteen minutes.

12. posted on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM  |  reply

[...] Top 5 Friday: LENT @ AnnieBlogs [...]

13. posted on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM  |  reply

Awesome! We are doing 40 days of prayer with The Circle Maker at our church and I am in awe of the turnout and people’s commitment to pray. It is incredible!

14. Leanna
    posted on Feb 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM  |  reply

I have the Methodist background too though I don’t remember doing too much as a kid.
    I gave up sweets this year, which certainly helps me think of sacrifice.