SPEAK LOVE!

on March 7, 2013 in Speak Love with 25 comments by

Thank you, friends, for all your excitement yesterday. Trust me, I am sooo grateful to you the reader and Zondervan for making it possible for me to get to do this again.

So there isn’t too much I can tell you yet about the next book, but I’ll tell you everything I can.

What’s the book?

The book is called Speak Love. I whole-heartedly believe that if we can teach teen girls how to use their words to speak life, we can make a lasting impact on the world. So I wrote a book to prove it. This text will tackle how we use our words towards God, how we use our words towards each other, and how we use our words towards ourselves.

. . . . .

Who is the audience?

This is a book for teen/young 20s girls, much like Perfectly Unique. But I hope lots of women will pick it up – to help heal their own hearts of the words spoken against them, but also to help lead and equip the younger women in their lives.

. . . . .

Can we see the cover?

Sad news: The cover is not finished, so I can’t show you yet. But you are going to LUH-HUV it.

. . . . .

When will you write it?

Well, I actually finished writing the book last week and turned it in to my editor on Monday. [Hence the silence... I was busting my tail to hit my deadline!] I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you in the process. It was fast turn around and there are rules and you know I’m a firstborn and a rule follower. But I sent emails saying, “please, let me tell my bloggites. They will want to know. They pray when I write!”

Remember when you prayed for me over four years ago? Wow. God has done some mighty things since then, hasn’t He?

. . . . .

Is Speak Love a brand new book?

YES YES YES. So, as many of you know, Perfectly Unique was an updated and improved version of my first self-published book From Head To Foot. But excitedly, Speak Love is all brand new- brand new stories, brand new writing, brand new teaching, brand new tears every day that I wrote. [Trust me, ask my intern. I have been an EMOTIONAL MESS while writing this one.]

. . . . .

When will the book be available?

Speak Love will come out in September 2013 [only SIX months!]!! But we have some super rad presale plans for you guys who are actually my friends starting early summer. I am so excited to offer another resource to small group leaders and youth groups for another school year.

Extra news: Not only is it a normal book, like Perfectly Unique, there will also be a Speak Love journal/devotional that will be available as well. The cover of that? Also gorgeous. But not quite ready for a blog debut.

. . . . .

Are you excited about this book?

I am every emotion about this book. Excited? Yes. Times a million. I also feel humbled and honored to be a part of what God is doing in the lives of teen girls. To be honest, I also feel scared to try to follow up Perfectly Unique. After months of intense writing, I also feel pleased with the work I turned in, but SO glad that my editor is making it way better.

Mostly? I feel convinced, as convinced as I’ve ever been about anything, that God is doing something here. I’ll tell you the whole story soon, but this book has totally come about in such a way that makes you sit back and say, “Wow. Only God.”

. . . . .

So that’s about all I can think of. I hate I can’t show you the cover yet, but soon and very soon. And trust me, you’ll see way more of it than you ever wanted to before this is all said and done.

What else do you want to know?

[PS- this is WAY more fun having you along for the ride with me. Just so you know. I'm so glad you're here.]

1. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 6:21 AM  |  reply

The title is fabulous! Can’t wait to read it, Annie.

2. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 6:25 AM  |  reply

The title is fabulous! I think this would be a great book for women of all ages. I know I am so weak in that area. That’s sad as my children’s love languages include words of affirmation. I can’t wait to read it.

I love that you and Emily had major announcements at the same time. Perfect timing.

3. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 7:55 AM  |  reply

I’m so excited! Perfectly Unique was incredible. Can’t wait to read Speak Love! P.S. Great title!

4. Kristen
    posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 9:14 AM  |  reply

YIPPEE YIPPEE YIPPEE!!

5. Merideth
    posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 9:44 AM  |  reply

Annie, this all sounds so awesome. I’m so excited for you! And for those of us who get to read your amazing words. I am so with you on this subject of speaking words of life to others. I feel pretty strongly about the importance of the words we speak and the care we need to give to what we say(either verbally or written words). I’ve had plenty of experiences of being hurt with words, and doing the hurting with them. So, I know first hand how needed this is in our world today. Especially with young people. Can’t wait to hear more and to read the book! Any chance you’ll do an audio version of this one? One of these days you’ll have to give in to that one. Praying for you as you continue to go through this process of releasing this next book. Love ya girl.

6. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 9:52 AM  |  reply

Annie! This is amazing! I’m so pumped for you and it blesses me to see God opening these doors for you and walking you right into your dreams. Brings me so much hope. God is so good! :)

7. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 10:26 AM  |  reply

awww yeah! I’m excited. And I am hoping your intern mediates your comments, and that he’ll be excited to see a guy in here.

But I’m mostly excited for the book to come out. And your intern. But mostly the book. And for your intern.

8. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 10:30 AM  |  reply

so so so so so excited to read this. Honored to know you and be inspired by you, Annie.

9. Hillary
    posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 11:45 AM  |  reply

Yay, congrats! So excited for you!

10. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 3:44 PM  |  reply

I waited to say anything until today, hopeful we could SEE PICCHAS! But your palpable excitement is a close second, and Annie Downs YOU are set apart to share these words you do.

With love, cheers and delight. xo

11. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 7:41 PM  |  reply

It’s all happening. I love you, and I love the story that you’re living, and I think that Zondervan is 100% smart for snagging you up.

12. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 7:42 PM  |  reply

“Snatching you up” + “Snagging you” = “Snagging you up.” Obviously.

13. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 8:03 PM  |  reply

LOVE IT! I cannot wait to use this with some of my young friends!!!! You are awesome and I am so excited for you and for the girls who read this and are transformed because God is soo amazing! Love to you!

14. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 8:37 PM  |  reply

So we’ll be able to pre-order the books in the summer?

15. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 8:37 PM  |  reply

Amazing title. I’m not your target audience (I’m apparently NOT young anymore), but I feel like this book will be perfect for me. And also? It’s kinda perfectly in line with what I’ve been doing with my kids. I’ve been teaching them about empathy and love and gentleness by constantly saying “isaac, how can we show love to aliza when she wrecks your train track?” “aliza, how can you speak love to your big brother when you feel frustrated?” and on and on forevermore. They are kinda starting to *get it*, which is just amazing and beautiful to see, as they show each other a tender, loving heart.

Welp, that was a total ramble. Heh. Bottom line? Go Annie! Congrats! :)

16. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 9:33 PM  |  reply

SO happy for you Annie! YOu are a great writer and I can’t wait to get my hands on your new work. Huge congrats:)

17. posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 10:48 PM  |  reply

EEEK! I am SO excited! I just love your heart, Annie. And as someone who has a heart for teen girls, I am so, so glad you are doing what you do. Girls need this book. ALL women need this book. I’m going to buy this book…and probably weep as I read…and then share with two sweet teen girls that I mentor. I am so, so excited! YAY God! :)

• posted on Mar 07, 2013 at 10:49 PM  |  reply

Also, I will probably laugh just as much as weep, because you have such an awesome way of turning tears into laughter. When I read your words, it’s like I’m sitting across from you at a table over coffee. :)

18. posted on Mar 08, 2013 at 5:03 PM  |  reply

How exciting! Can’t wait to read it! :)

19. posted on Mar 10, 2013 at 6:30 AM  |  reply

I’m so excited for this book! I was so happy when you annouced that there will be a new book!

20. posted on Mar 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM  |  reply

I am super excited for you! From one single young woman in ministry to another…YOU GO GIRL!!! I am excited to read this one and be challenged by it myself! Thank you for using your gifts, talents and abilities to glorify God!

21. posted on Mar 28, 2013 at 3:00 AM  |  reply

[...] Annie’s next book for teens will be available in September 2013. It is called Speak Love and it is about the power of words and how we as women can use our words to change the world. [...]

22. Janet and Janice, Scotland
    posted on May 02, 2013 at 3:56 AM  |  reply

Annie, I am so delighted for you and excited about the new book. I might even try and buy a few and sell or give them at the Scottish Camp this summer. Good job and keep going. This group of young people really need this input.

23. posted on Oct 03, 2013 at 2:03 PM  |  reply

[…] am in Him and no one else. For this challenge I am going to read his word everyday and read the book “Speak Love” by Annie Downs. I am going to write about what His word tells me. At the end of […]

24. posted on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:54 AM  |  reply

[…] group typically does books. We recently did Speak Love by Annie Downs. If you haven’t read it, you need to go do that right now. Our girls learned what […]