TOP 5 FRIDAY: Summer Reading List 2013

on June 7, 2013 in I heart books., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 20 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

I love reading. You know this. But I REALLY love reading in the summer. I had a goal early in this 2013 of reading 33 books this year and while it still may happen, I forgot to factor in that I was writing two books as well and that is taking a lot out of me. So I’m going slower than I planned.

My next manuscript is due on July 1, so I’m looking forward to turning that puppy in and reading like crazy in July and August before Speak Love releases.

I’ve spent some time perusing the internet for summer reading lists and popped by Parnassus, my favorite local bookstore, excitedly planning my summer reading.

I’m excited to buzz through these five books [and hopefully a few more] this summer.

. . . . .

LotteryLOTTERY by Patricia Wood

My friend Beth gave me this book to read and says I won’t be able to put it down. I tried to start last night but fell asleep with the book in my hand on page one. So. We’ll try again tonight.

dressesGIRLS IN WHITE DRESSES by Jennifer Close

I don’t know anything about this book except it is on a handful of summer reading lists that I saw. I liked the summaries I have read and it looks good. Have you read it? What do you think?

rogersTHE SIMPLE FAITH OF MR. ROGERS by Amy Hollingsworth

After posting an Afternoon Distraction featuring Mr. Rogers, a friendly reader – also named Beth actually – told me I should read this book. And I looked it up and it sounds super great. The old I get, the more I respect Mr. Rogers. So I think this could be a really fun read.

adasADA’S RULES by Alice Randall

I saw this book on the “local authors” table at Parnassus and it caught my eye. After I read the back, I thought this would be really fun to read and then I could email her and say, “ALICE, I LIVE IN NASHVILLE TOO AND I WRITE BOOKS LET’S BE FRIENDS!” because that’s kinda how our city works.

imaginaryMEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND by Matthew Dicks

Okay, seriously. This book sounds SO interesting to read! I don’t exactly remember having an imaginary friend, but I’m sure I did at some point. The idea of reading a book from the imaginary friend’s perspective seems really unique.

. . . . .

So those are the books that I’m planning to start with, but like I said, if I’m gonna get to 33 books in my 33rd year on Earth, I’m really going to have to pick up my reading pace for the back half of the year.

YOUR TURN!

What books are you planning on reading this summer? What would you recommend to read this summer?

1. posted on Jun 07, 2013 at 6:47 AM  |  reply

OK, I have to mention that The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers is wonderful– I’ve read it a couple of times.

I’ve had a couple of false starts reading lately– things I thought would be great but that I abandoned, so I am starting the summer rereading an old favorite, the novel Swan Place by Augusta Trobaugh. Think poverty, tragedy, strong women, deep faith, and a richly rendered setting.
    You also can’t go wrong with a Lisa Samson novel. Quaker Summer would be a good read.

• posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM  |  reply

Great suggestions, Missy! Thank you!!

2. posted on Jun 07, 2013 at 7:59 AM  |  reply

I just received my first summer reading book in the mail yesterday. It’s the one about Joy written by her sister. And I find it amazing that one of your books is about Mr. Rogers because he was one of the people Joy looked up to. She quoted him a great deal and was so sad when he died.

I’m going to have to read Girls in White Dresses. I have a list somewhere, but I can’t find it…

Maybe I should read another organizing book.

• posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM  |  reply

Sounds like a perfect read. :)

3. posted on Jun 07, 2013 at 9:55 AM  |  reply

It’s so fun to talk about summer reading! I just signed up for our library’s summer program yesterday. One recommendation for you is Where’d You Go, Bernadette. Loved it! Up next: Freefall to Fly, Multiply, Gilead, Shipwrecked in LA, And the Mountains Echoed, Those Who Save Us.

• posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM  |  reply

Oooh. I haven’t heard of most of those. Looking forward to it. I wonder if my library has a summer reading program… I’m gonna check!

4. posted on Jun 07, 2013 at 10:43 AM  |  reply

I already ordered my summer books earlier this week & am waiting for them to arrive. I feel like a little kid :) Soon to arrive is: Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist; Freefall To Flying by Rebekah Lyons; Chasing Francis by Ian Morgan Cron & Daring Greatly by Brene Brown.
    What a fun post! It is great to see what others are reading & add some more titles to my list of “To Read”. Thanks!

• posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM  |  reply

Ohhhh. Great list!!

5. posted on Jun 07, 2013 at 11:09 AM  |  reply

hehehe… my favorite part of this whole post is “that’s kinda how our city works.” SOOOOO true! :)

• posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM  |  reply

Right? Right. :)

6. Stephanie
    posted on Jun 07, 2013 at 1:21 PM  |  reply

I’m in the process of reading “The Beautiful Fight” by Gary Thomas. Loving it so far. And “French Women Don’t Get Fat.” Have to laugh at that title!

And because I can’t forget about my summer course, I should admit that I’m going to be reading Statistics books as well…..oh.joy.

• posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:07 PM  |  reply

I’ll take the first two and forget the third, thank you very much. :)

7. Patty
    posted on Jun 07, 2013 at 2:50 PM  |  reply

So, I read almost strictly fiction… have you ever read anything by Charles Martin? I have his newest release Unwritten sitting out waiting to head to the beach with me this weekend!
    Since I haven’t read it yet, I can’t really recommend it. But I haven’t disliked any of his books, but that being said his last one Thunder & Rain was not my favorite. If you don’t mind a bit or a tearjerker I would check out Where the River Ends!

• posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM  |  reply

Ohh… I haven’t. I will mark it down.

8. Sherri
    posted on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM  |  reply

Best read of the year for me was “Iscariot” by Tosca Lee. Thought provoking while being true to the Text.

• posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM  |  reply

YAY! I look forward to reading it! Thanks, Sherri!

9. Alena
    posted on Jun 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

Hey Annie! The best books I have read recently are The Blue Castle (one of L.M. Montgomery’s best!), When the Emperor was Divine, The Help, and Daddy Long Legs! The Help and When the Emperor was Divine were so good, and really thought-provoking reads. I highly recommend them both! And The Blue Castle is an incredible love story and Daddy Long Legs is a hoot! Happy reading, and happy summer! :)

• posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM  |  reply

I LOVE The Help, and will definitely look into the others! Thank you, Alena!

10. posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM  |  reply

Requested all five from my local library! So far have read Mr. Rogers (love!) and Ada’s Rules. Ada is quirky and wise and much racier than expected. A fun and quick read and yes, you will want to be friends with Alice!

• posted on Jun 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM  |  reply

Whoa- it’s racy? Really?!? Yikes. I didn’t know that. I just got it from the library too!