Costco… I love you.

on April 12, 2007 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 10 comments by

Let me tell you something you may, or may not, know about me. I, as a faithful member of the Downs family, live by this motto- the 7 Ps. Mom calls it the 6 Ps- can you guess which word she leaves out?

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Read it again. Think about it. It’s good. Real good.

Here is a prime example of living by the 7 Ps- when I buy shampoo, I buy 2 bottles. Every time. Because it would be COMPLETELY against the 7 Ps to have to go out and buy a bottle the day you run out. That is NOT prior proper planning. The 7 Ps would say, “Buy more than you need so that when you run out, there is a backup right there in case you are unable to go to the store that night.” And it costs the same in the long run. I love it. Thank you, Tom Downs, for teaching me the best (non-Biblical) motto in the world.

Costco, my new crush, is 7 Ps heaven. No joke.

Here is why I went today. Now that I’m a one-woman show at my house, I figure I can 7 Ps the whole place- top to bottom. So I went for toilet paper and paper towels. In mass quantity.

As I entered, I knew I was in trouble when a magazine rack for only $15 caught my eye. This is the perfect storm for me- bulk items and home decor that is CHEAP. Have I mentioned that about myself? I’m mildly Scroogical about my money, so I’m ALWAYS trying to save a penny.

I’m pushing my cart along, now holding a new magazine rack, and everything is calling out to me- from movie tickets to sharpies to books. But I’m being smart- “Don’t put it ALL in the cart, Downs. Bulk is good. Debt is not.”

I get what I came for- paper towels. Toilet paper. And oh, clementines? My favorite citrus fruit? Okay, one box won’t hurt. And yeah, I am a little low on cleaning supplies- 3 cans of Pledge here, a HUGE bottle of Tide there. No big deal. I’m almost out of cereal- biggest box of Honey Bunches of Oats ever created? Don’t mind if I do. Hello, six truly large cans of stewed tomatoes- I don’t know why, but I’m buying you.

A $50 DVD set of all three Anne of Green Gables movies? Absolut…… wait….. $50? Uh, no. You won’t fool me on this one, Costco. Don’t take advantage of my love for you…. and Prince Edward Island.

Some money later, I walk out victorious- doing the 7 Ps strut. I’ve beaten the rain, I have supplies for the tomato soup I’m making for dinner (now), and I have enough paper towels to soak up Lake Burton.

It was all together awesome. I get home and think, “You know what I should do with all this stuff from Costco?”

Yep. Check it.

1. hunt1140
    posted on Apr 12, 2007 at 1:20 PM  |  reply

My favorite sentence: “Hello, six truly large cans of stewed tomatoes- I don’t know why, but I’m buying you.”
    You talk to food the same way my husband does. :-)Face

2. carolineb
    posted on Apr 12, 2007 at 1:22 PM  |  reply

Classic Annie blogging. I love you and CostCo. The way you spoke to the tomatoes, priceless. Let’s have an Anne of Green Gables weekend.

3. jenny
    posted on Apr 12, 2007 at 4:37 PM  |  reply

I remember Tatum talking about the 6 P’s… My mom and I are also BIG proponents for proper planning . My husband thinks it’s ridiculous that I buy 2 of everything, but hey, would you want to run out of shampoo in the shower?? I think not.

4. Katie B
    posted on Apr 12, 2007 at 4:41 PM  |  reply

This is the greatest thing ever! You’ve found the missing link and related the 7 P’s to a wholesale food store. You’re incredible.
    My ethics used to say the 7 P’s were proper, prior, prayerful, planning prevents poor performance. I like yours much better… 🙂

5. Katie B
    posted on Apr 12, 2007 at 4:42 PM  |  reply

*My ethics TEACHER…

6. anna mo
    posted on Apr 12, 2007 at 7:50 PM  |  reply

you are funny. thats all i have to say.

7. b - Funk
    posted on Apr 13, 2007 at 5:28 AM  |  reply

i think i just adopted the 7ps of life. thank you for the enlightenment. it’s not as good as the bible, but it’s still rich with wisdom.

8. Jennie B
    posted on Apr 15, 2007 at 5:11 PM  |  reply

Sure…but do you know the Human Resources’ Four F’s?? Hmmmm? Firm, Friendly, Fair, but not Familiar. Okay, now you know.

9. tatum
    posted on Apr 16, 2007 at 9:20 PM  |  reply

good ol’ tom downs…causing you to spend hundred of dollars at costco. kudos tom. and kudos to you dear sister for displaying the 7 p’s for us all.

i think i like b’s 7 p’s better. b’s p’s if you will. prayer is better than piss. its a universal fact.

10. Katie B