Why I pay for expanded basic cable.

on August 14, 2007 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 9 comments by

Do you ever flip channels, thinking nothing good is going to be on, ready almost to turn off the TV? Then suddenly one of your favorite shows that you forget exists is on? That just happened to me. With this show-
Dog the Bounty Hunter. I love it. I won’t lie. This is an adrenaline pumped show, with some mild cussing and more than one bleep, but somehow we’re all still Christians who chase down and always catch the bad guys? So, whatever I guess. I dig that he’ll be in heaven with us. And a little part (read “big part”) of me wants a Dog t-shirt, cause they are really tough, just like me.

If this “Annie used to be cool” ship is going down, I’m takin’ Jeff Watkins with me, because he loves the Dog as well. So if you’re gonna label me “mildly white trash” for my appreciation of Hawaiian bounty hunters, remember I run with some high quality people who also may deserve that label.

And let me conclude by saying that there is nothing trashy about justice. Got it?

This particular episode is drama packed. I’ve tried to call Haley and Jeff twice- they are probably so into the show they can’t take their eyes off the television to answer the phone. I don’t take it personal. If you called me right now, I probably wouldn’t answer either.

While we’re at it, let me share with you some other shows that have a special place in my heart.

Deadliest Catch is a Downs family favorite. We gather together and often look for this show first. Don’t ask me why. We have watched MANY marathons, for some reason at the lakehouse a lot, that lasted for hours. The sad part is that we have watched the same marathon more than once. There is no shame in that. We love watching these guys try to catch crabs. There’s something to be said for every show leading us to believe that a rogue wave is going to end it all. That’s drama. And it’s real. It’s reality TV at it’s finest. Truly. Let’s just say that my Dad knows the names of the boats and the captains. Who am I kidding. So do I.

If that came on right now after Dog, I would pass out. Cold. Out of pure excitement.

Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe is also popular in the family. I introduced some dear friends of mine to this show over the weekend. I’m pretty sure they are changed. For life. If you’ve never watched this show, it is disgusting and hilarious. Mike Rowe has the sense of humor that I wish I could bottle up and spill on some unnamed people in my life- he is so quick-witted and sarcastic. A beautiful combo- mix that with some sick job that involves trash or waste or animals, and that makes for quite an entertaining half-hour.

Ready for me to kick it up another notch? Mike Rowe does the voice overs for Deadliest Catch. Yeah, I know. That’s almost too much good scoop in one blog.

There are more shows that I love, but these three jump out at me as my new favs. I could keep my TV on A&E or Discovery Channel most of the time and be pretty happy.

As if this wasn’t enough entertainment, in your future lies a blog about my favorite Food Network shows. And a blog about the Crocodile Hunter. I loved that man.

Update: it is 10:42pm. Channel 38- Dog. Channel 40- Dirty Jobs. So what’s a girl to do? Be thrilled and flip back and forth. That’s what.

1. Katie B
    posted on Aug 14, 2007 at 3:07 AM  |  reply

You’re hilarious.
    We need to start our weekly TV-fest soon. When does the office start?!!

2. brad
    posted on Aug 14, 2007 at 3:09 PM  |  reply

Annie, you might enjoy “Really Big Things” with Mike Rogers, former American Idol contestant and “Build it Bigger” with Danny Forster. He is a high energy, funny guy who travels the world to work with builders and engineers on constructing massive things. Me and Levi and Quinn so far loved “Superstadium”, about the Arizona Cardinals new home. It is a fun show for the kiddies and the old man.

3. carolineb
    posted on Aug 15, 2007 at 2:36 AM  |  reply

i love it when you blog.

4. Jake
    posted on Aug 15, 2007 at 5:40 PM  |  reply

Face’s Fav Food Network Shows:
    Ace of Cakes (the people are stuck like grunge in the mid 1990s), Paula Deen (the original, not the live one), and Barefoot Contessa… there’s just something so soothing about her, and I love the pots of herbs on her back countertop.
    Least Fav: SemiHomemade… that voice, all the pink… reeech…
    :-)Stay-at-Home Face

5. Jake
    posted on Aug 15, 2007 at 5:42 PM  |  reply

Oh yeah… and anything involving Alton Brown… the man is a GENIUS, can make yogurt seem interesting, and frequents various Krogers in Hotlanta… what’s not to love?!?!
    :-)Face

6. anna mo
    posted on Aug 15, 2007 at 8:04 PM  |  reply

why the heck do you get to be so funny?! it really isnt fair. That blog made me feel like my life will be wasted unless i get to enjoy watching you watch one of those shows. it was that good. I miss you!

7. h.
    posted on Aug 15, 2007 at 8:58 PM  |  reply

diiiirrrty jobs!!!!!!! what what!!

my guilty-case-of-the-mondays-pleasure is “wife swap.” or mom swap or whatever it’s called … and i love the office (duh), the HILLS!! …mtv, foodnetwork.. etc. oh.. and what not to wear.

8. ManUtd17
    posted on Aug 16, 2007 at 1:27 PM  |  reply

I’m a fan of Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America. Great stuff. Lots o’ bleepin’ though.

Supposedly an American version of that show is coming to Fox in the fall with Ramsay (He’s the guy on that Hell’s Kitchen show).

9. Jennie B
    posted on Aug 20, 2007 at 4:03 AM  |  reply

I love Mike Rowe. I (sicko that I am) have suddenly decided that he’s actually ATTRACTIVE when he’s chasing down pigs or scooping up Heron vomit. What can I say? I’m a sucker for a person with a great sense of humor.

And a person who isn’t afraid to clean the bathroom isn’t bad either…