When my people speak….

on August 23, 2007 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 16 comments by

I listen.

Not a lot of fans of the red and black blog. I hear ya. I didn’t love it either.

Hope this is better.

It’s too hot outside. Gross. Miserable. If I ever complain in the winter, slap me. With a frozen steak. Across the face.

My students REQUESTED that I drink a Diet Dr. Pepper tomorrow at lunch because they could “sense a difference in my mood” today. Yikes. It’s a little early in the year for them to realize that I probably need to be on medication.

I went to MPC (Aaron, you’re so jealous right now, huh?) with Heather and Marie Claire (better known as “Rooster McDooj”) tonight. Marie leaves for Asbury College tomorrow. When I don’t feel so emotional and sad about her leaving me, I’ll blog to you about how rad she is.

If I could download one song right now off of iTunes, it would be the “little bit mo” song that is on a Target commercial. I think I could dance all the way to school listening to that.

I’m having my tonsils taken out in about 4 weeks. More to come on that. Wait for it. It will be good. Let’s just say that blog will involve a photo taken with my built-in camera. Yeah. Nice.

PLEASE tell me you heard David Hasselhoff on “America’s Got Talent” last night. Horrible. He had to be drunk. I know I wished I was. Then maybe I wouldn’t remember what I had to hear. My ears bled.

There’s a man on TV that says he’s the second coming of Jesus. He’s drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. And he’s from Puerto Rico. Yeah…..he’s gonna get struck by lightening. He actually says he’s the “Anti-Christ”. He’s having his people tattoo 666 on their arms. OH YIKES. That makes me shiver. (I hope you are watching this on ABC because it is just getting weirder.) Sir, check the Bible. The Anti-Christ does not have a good ending. If I was to list a few things I’d never call myself because it’s a bad idea, “Anti-Christ” would definitely be on that list. “Robert” would be on that list also. Cause I’m a girl.

Speaking of tattoos- sound off. For them? Against them? Look at this guy’s view and then this guy’s view. I’m wondering what you think.

1. jw
    posted on Aug 23, 2007 at 11:39 AM  |  reply

I am sorry Annie, but I stopped reading the latter article when he compared having tattoos to bestiality and prostituting my daughter. This is a PG blog and anything else I have to say about that article would force the Blog Writer’s Association of America to raise your rating to R.

I will say that I know I am picking and choosing what God is saying in Leviticus. Oh well. I would love to hear people smarter than me debate this topic.

2. brad
    posted on Aug 23, 2007 at 2:05 PM  |  reply

Personally, I hate to draw attention to myself. I also hate to have needles shooting permanent ink pulsing in and out of my skin. So, that would be a no for me. I do, however, know quite a few people that have some really sweet tats. I love them just the same. Can’t we all just get past this stuff? I wear shorts and flip flops to church much of the time and there are people that would totally stroke out over that. I just think God looks at your HEART.

Great topic to cover at the blog hoedown.

3. ManUtd17
    posted on Aug 23, 2007 at 2:08 PM  |  reply

I can’t believe I made it through both articles.

I guess Mr. Watkins is so hellbent on living according to the law, he doesn’t eat ham, bacon, pork chops, oysters, clams, scallops, lobster, and rabbit either (OK, not eating rabbit is probably easy for most folks). But he must be a thin guy getting by on eating locusts, crickets and grasshoppers all the time.

People get tattoos for a lot of reasons. I think the Lord is more concerned with the “why” behind the reason for one’s tattoo than the mere presence or absence of one. Just as He is more concerned with the condition of our hearts than with our attendance record at Sunday School.

I don’t have a tattoo but if I ever did get one, I can tell you right now that I am not man enough to get one on the fleshy part on the inside of my bicep. I tear up just thinking about it.

4. ManUtd17
    posted on Aug 23, 2007 at 5:44 PM  |  reply

If you want to see the Hoff’s vocal, uh, performance, it is here:

And I think he was really trying too.

I do not understand what the Germans see (or hear) in this guy.

5. carolineb
    posted on Aug 23, 2007 at 9:34 PM  |  reply

The argument is tiresome.

I wouldn’t get a tattoo for the same reason I don’t have a bumper sticker. If you have a tiny space to say one thing, what would it be? And if you can think of one terribly important thing to say, put it where? Something holy on the ass end of your car? Something sacred on your bicept? It’s gauche.

6. ManUtd17
    posted on Aug 23, 2007 at 10:14 PM  |  reply

If I got a tattoo that said “Lev. 19:28” would the Scripture reference cancel out the apparent abomination of my temple?

7. Annie
    posted on Aug 24, 2007 at 1:10 AM  |  reply

I hear what you all are saying, but does it change the fact that scripture says no?

I’m not fighting against you- I WANT ONE. BAD. So I pretty much want you to tell me that it is okay even though the Bible says it’s not.

8. Aaron
    posted on Aug 24, 2007 at 2:51 AM  |  reply

well i posted earlier and sinced i dropped an F-bomb i guess it was deleted to keep the PG rating.
    Ok for those of you who don’t know me I didn’t drop and F-bomb but if you in web land do drop F-bomds i don’t hate on you, just your mom. ok kidding again and iw ill stop.

I see no reason not to get a tattoo.

One friend said on this issue “This is curious since those same people rarely cite other passages about things like not eating pork……. If you remember the passage in Mark 7 where Jesus talks about the source of defilement being internal rather than external, the question regarding anything like a tattoo is not ‘what’ but ‘why.’ Is the purpose in getting a tattoo to make much of Christ or to draw attention to yourself? Is it a reminder of God’s mercy to you in some way or is it a reminder of that secret crush you had on”

I like his take on this issue. Get a tat if you want it. if you want to go with the Lev. verse we all need to observe Lev. 19 27 ‘Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.”

My opinion: if you really want one, pick out and wait a few months to make sure it what you want then go for it for Gods Glory and your good.
    hope all that makes sense.

9. Melinda
    posted on Aug 24, 2007 at 6:53 AM  |  reply

Really not a salvation issue. (NEEDLESS to SAY! ha) Possibly not as big as we make it out to be. (Okay, definitely.) However,

Dear God;
    All evidence gathered it looks like You’re not too fond of tattoos. There’s a chance that You aren’t at least. But I got one anyway because it looks cool, and I don’t care what people think. Do I care what You think? Ummmmm….
    Me

All in all, it depends on why you get it, and how many times you use the word “bullshit” when you happen upon someone who disagrees with you. (Heaven forbid.)

I’d rather have scripture than well placed arguements on “Why we can’t just do what we know we shouldn’t.” And umm,,, if we’re gonna take Mark 7 in that context (hate to mirror Opinion 2) bestiality and prostituting your daughter are also acceptible, and not a defilement to you. As long as you perform these acts with a right heart for the right reasons. That of course is ludicrous, those acts are never performed for a good reason. Why I wonder. Is it because they are more “terrible” sins or the same reason we know things are sin in the beginning. God tells us not to do them. I think if I got a tattoo, it would in NO WAY feel like prostituting my daughter or bestiality, but it feel wrong. Because after that verse, I would no longer be able to get a tattoo for the right reason.

Will my tattoo all around honor God? That’s the question.

10. jw
    posted on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:55 AM  |  reply

What if Leviticus tells us not to get a tattoo for reasons outside of the spiritual realm? Maybe God is looking out for us because only He knows what the worn out ink spot on 20 years older skin will look like.

Can’t you see Him typing on what looks like a TI-83 inserting things like “butterfly, 20 years, 3 colors, back of the neck” and then hits enter. The screen shows what the tat will look like in the time specified. He probably gets a chuckle and says to Himself “That’s why Lev. 19:28 says what it says.”

I know plenty of people with tats but only a handful that can give me deep reasons for them. I mean reasons that would open up a conversation about Jesus. I don’t think that is a bad thing.

11. Aaron
    posted on Aug 24, 2007 at 1:13 PM  |  reply

JW: i think if we can take out Lev 19:28 then we might should look into Mark 16:18 and take up snakes and drink deadly poison.

I just don’t think looking at the context of Lev. 19 that we can say God is saying don’t get a Tattoo. People were painting their skin to draw attention to themselves and to show how holy they were. (i think that’s what i remember)

As far as the growing old and looking bad, i honestly am more concerned about how bad fat will look on my body when i am old than i am a tattoo. I am saying that as someone who has no desire to have a tattoo.

12. seantk
    posted on Aug 24, 2007 at 2:24 PM  |  reply

Annie –

This is totally off-subject and I haven’t even read the articles about tattoos (I don’t have one, know some peeps who do…) but….

for the love of Bill P. you have to see this (and I’m sorry if it affects your sensibilities; be warned):

Have a nice day.

13. ManUtd17
    posted on Aug 24, 2007 at 5:42 PM  |  reply

STK,

Thanks for the site. Hilarious stuff. Now please visit this photo:

14. Jennie B
    posted on Aug 25, 2007 at 4:04 PM  |  reply

I have to concur with Jessie Comment #2. Many of you writing this are in the “tight skin” phase of life which, I hate to be the one breaking it to you – but what are Aunt Jennifer’s for? – will end.

I’m always afraid a nice perky butterfly on my backside would become a dragon a few years later. Hey, that’s a pun! “A butterfly might be a-draggin’.”

15. carolineb
    posted on Aug 25, 2007 at 8:46 PM  |  reply

Hahahaha. You’re punny.

I don’t think it is a sin unless everything is a sin. And everything pretty much is.

16. Jennie B
    posted on Aug 26, 2007 at 3:54 PM  |  reply

Here’s another thought… Do whatever you want to your “earth suit”. Fake boobies, capped teeth, tummy tucks, colored hair. It ain’t gettin’ out of here alive. Pay more attention to what you’re doing to your heart… it will last and be with you forever.

I’m sorry I said boobies on your blog.