City-wide.

on March 9, 2010 in Get Fit, Ze Bloggy Goodness with 19 comments by
[First of all, a big HI and HELLO to my friends from the writing workshop on Tuesday night! Yay for bloggy talk and author talk and talking too much about car repair blogs! (This is your cue to say hi back in the comments, workshop friends.) πŸ™‚ Seriously- what a PLEASURE to meet you all and I hope to hear from you a lot in the future! Thanks to Denise and Shari for inviting me to speak.]

And yes, bloggites, of course I talked about you. And you. And obviously, YOU.

In case you’ve forgotten [you haven’t, I won’t let you] I’m involved in this Get Fit Challenge thing. And so I’ve been going to the YMCA a lot more.

Here’s the thing about the Y in middle Tennessee. It’s a BIG DEAL. Like, everybody in the whole city [ridiculous exaggeration] is a member. And in Nashville, there are probably 8-9 YMCA facilities within 20 minutes of my house.

I like.

So you can either join ONE of the Ys or you can get a CITY-WIDE membership that is, understandably,Β more expensive TOTALLY AWESOME. Because then you can go to any Y- you can take a spin class from Marisa at the East Nashville Y and then meet Lyndsay at the Green Hills Y for a Zumba class.

[Nope. Not in the same day. I’m hard core, just not THAT hard core.]

But, because I live on a budget, I’m a one Y member. Just Green Hills. I joined about 10 months ago and have always and only been to the Green Hills Y, though the others have beckoned me from a-near [opposite of afar, obviously].

And as I was perusing the YMCA website the other day, I saw that the Downtown Y had a water aerobics class called Aqua-Burn. To which I said, “Thank you sir may I have another” because I heart water aerobics.

Problem = it was at a different Y. So I called and they said I can come ONE TIME AND ONE TIME ONLY to try the class.

I walk in and the man scans my card. I go into a lengthy diatribe [shocker] about how I’m visiting because I may want to get a city-wide membership and I know I’m young but water aerobics is actually fairly challenging…..

He stops me, points at the picture on the screen and says, “Is that you?”

To which I reply, “Uh, yeah, it’s me. I had a great hair day that day and it was summer so I was tan and…”

“Ma’am. You already have a city-wide membership.”

“What? No, I don’t. I’ve been a member for 10 months and I’ve always just had a membership to Green Hills.”

He laughed and said, “well, you’ve actually always been a city-wide member.”

I’ve been wrong. For 10 months. I believed that I had to live with limits that were not mine.

And in some crazy way, God has used this to bring up a lot in my heart. How many areas of my life do I live under false limits because I believe something that is not true?

And I’m reminded of how Jesus set me free.

And I’m going to go to a different YMCA every day simply BECAUSE I CAN.

I am free.

In so many ways.

1. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 6:28 AM  |  reply

LOVE this reminder. I really needed that early this a.m. I’m tired of living in the “city limits” when God has blessed with the SO MUCH!

2. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 7:59 AM  |  reply

I too am a YMCA fan. The Masterson family is well known at the Buckhead Y. So glad to have that in common. πŸ™‚

3. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 8:06 AM  |  reply

Haha love this post. You crack me up and encourage with truth – what a great combo!

4. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 8:57 AM  |  reply

Love those kinds of surprises. And,yes, we are free.

Can’t wait for Denise’s new book.

5. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 9:16 AM  |  reply

I was reading this on my blackberry while I was blow-drying my hair this morning(Random? Yes? Sorry.) and I almost cried. I have no idea why, but those words were just like BAM! (Imagine, a la Emeril.) So…thanks for that this morning.

P.S. Totally thought you were going to say the guy asked if that was you because you’d lost so much weight and you’re getting toned and all that jazz! πŸ™‚ And who knows, I bet that’s at least part of it! πŸ™‚

6. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 9:47 AM  |  reply

It’s so true that we set limits on ourselves that shouldn’t be there. What a cool way to learn a lesson like that!

7. alyssa
    posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 10:20 AM  |  reply

Good stuff, Annie! I love it!

8. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 10:48 AM  |  reply

Awesome. Awesome awesome awesome! I love this post! πŸ™‚ Wish I had a Y in my itty bitty town. πŸ™

9. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 11:16 AM  |  reply

Love this. I know there is so much available to me because of Jesus, and i just simply don’t see it sometimes……..

10. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 11:33 AM  |  reply

LOVE it!

11. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 11:54 AM  |  reply

Love how God chooses to remind us of Him!! Thanks for sharing!

12. 79Leslie
    posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 1:10 PM  |  reply

Just had a friend point out to me that I have been living within the limits of what I FEEL that I deserve, and have been selling myself short for way too long. Here’s to breaking out of the boxes we put ourselves in (raises glass!)

13. Kristi Kay
    posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 1:24 PM  |  reply

Awesome!! God is literally opening the door for you. I love that water aerobics was the catalyst here πŸ™‚

14. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 2:48 PM  |  reply

Great reminder, and YAY! πŸ˜‰

15. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 3:03 PM  |  reply

First..Thanks for visiting the class last night Annie! You Rawk!

Second… I Love how God shows up and smacks you on the forehead sometimes with something completely unrelated, but related to the situation you are in!! For the Record..we are Rec Center people. (little bit less on the budget than the Y for us!)

16. Christen
    posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 4:22 PM  |  reply

Hi, Annie. I have been reading your blog since the “Hole in my Bucket” post at (in)courage and I love it. Your post today is really crazy because I have been thinking lately about self-imposed limits. Your story about the Y membership is funny and such a wonderful illustration. I love your writing style. Good luck with your exercise!

17. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 4:23 PM  |  reply

Love the reminder!

And you’ll have to tell me how the water aerobics class is. I’m in Nashville, and one of the few who doesn’t belong to the Y, but I’m thinking that this summer, the pools may be just what the doctor ordered.

18. posted on Mar 09, 2010 at 9:07 PM  |  reply

I am with Rebekah–this post almost made me cry when I read it. It speaks to my life SO much. Thank you, Annie.

19. posted on Mar 10, 2010 at 2:01 AM  |  reply

Please, PLEASE let there be a country song that comes out of this.
    What rhymes with “water aerobics”?

πŸ™‚