Naming misfortune.

on March 16, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 14 comments by

You know I’ve got a thing about painting my nails.

I didn’t used to. I used to bite my nails. For 25 years. Then I went through a fake nail phase for about 1.5 years.

And now I’m in Nashville and all the cool kids [i.e.- Amber] paint their nails a variety of colors. So I jumped on the bandwagon.

A few weeks ago I noticed on another awesome fashion Nash-blog that the colors for spring would be beige, pink, and gray.

I love pink. But gracious, I cannot wear beige. I have a yellow-ish tone to my skin so really it changes my whole look to wear beige and if you are still reading at this point, I applaud you for suffering through boring skin tone talk and if you are a dude, you must be my Dad or have a crush on me to be reading this far.

Run-on sentences. I like ’em.

Pink. Done. Beige. Nope. Gray. DUH.

I decided last week that I wanted gray nails.

I know. I’ve lost my mind. But I’m less than 120 days from being 30 and I’ve got to be zany while I’m still in my 20s.

And when I went to the local nail place, they didn’t have a light gray.

Call me HIGH MAINTENANCE and I will answer. [But my nails will look good when I answer, that’s for sure.]

So I got my light gray.

I thought this was a funny story, mixing the nail color and all. I thought, “I should come up with a name for this color.” So that when I told the story, I could have a good punchline. A deal sealer. Something to make the people smile.

And the first name that came to mind?

Annie’s Going Gray.

Even my mind is making aging jokes. That can’t be good.

1. posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 4:53 AM  |  reply

I loooooove all colors of nailpolish, but lately i’ve been wearing lots of blues and blacks and yes, even grey too! Mozel!!!

2. posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:43 AM  |  reply

too funny… I love it!

3. posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 7:51 AM  |  reply

Better than Annie’s Been Gray for About Five Years Now.

And this made me laugh out loud:
    “But because I have officially crossed over into a Nashy-snob, I made them mix two colors.”

4. Jill Gracie
    posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 8:18 AM  |  reply

I am obsessed with Sally Hansen’s salon line of colors- and my favorite color right now is called Commander in Chic. It’s a taupy-gray (grey?) color and I think it looks great on all skin tones =)

5. posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

Girl, I’m already thirty and most of my friends and I still wear black nail polish out here on the west coast.

and gray.

and green,

and blue.

Wear it with pride. In fact, mine were black for my 30th bday. Linkin Park after Dark. 🙂

They look great.

🙂
    C.

6. posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:00 AM  |  reply

How funny! Way to get what you want. 🙂

7. posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM  |  reply

LOVE the color. Excellent pick in light of the upcoming age change. You should totally pitch the color to OPI. They’d use it!

8. posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

Funny as usual. And i love a good run on sentence…….

9. posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM  |  reply

Love Love Love Love the color!!

10. Abby
    posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:51 PM  |  reply

haha I so laughed out loud at this post! I also love the color 😀

11. alyssa
    posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 4:08 PM  |  reply

Looks good Annie, what about this name for a color:
    annie’s gray-t (get it? great, gray-t)
    maybe not.

12. posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:10 PM  |  reply

I hit the 30 era in November… Yikes!
    Never thought I would feel old or care about this ol’ number… but I did. I had a little “freak out” about the whole thing.
    I just wanted to let you know that it’s going to be ok… even in your 30’s you can paint your nails a funky color. I’m thinking ‘Romeo & Juliet Plum’!
    Embrace and be Blessed!
    ~Manda

13. posted on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM  |  reply

Oh, I got mine done gray last time, too, and I really liked it. I decided the gray looks kind of classy. ROCK the gray, girlfriend, rock it!

14. posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:10 PM  |  reply

Looks good! I didn’t even know that you can ask to MIX colors….shows how much i know about getting my nails done! ha! If i didn’t work in a bakery though, i would TOTALLY get manicures all the time cause i love the way it looks, but long nails in a bakery don’t seem to work well. Boo.