Rocking chair.

on March 17, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 13 comments by

When it’s naptime at my nanny home, we have a routine. The boy and I read a book then I pretty much say, “peace out” and he closes his eyes and is asleep.

If only it was that easy for me every night. Sheesh.

The little girl is 2. So she grabs her pacy and her blankie and crawls up into the rocking chair. I still don’t know why she insists on sitting there first, but it works for us. I pick her up, and she lays her head on my shoulder. I sit down in the chair, put my feet up on the rocking ottaman and we rock.

I cross my legs at the ankle and her feet slide and rest on my calves. As she settles down, she usually tells me a few stories, through the pacy, none of which I understand but all of which seem to be highly important for me to know.

And we rock.

After a few minutes, she quiets and begins to push against my calves with her little feet. Almost as if she wants to rock herself.

I laughed yesterday. I had noticed before, she always does it. But for some reason yesterday the whole experience grabbed my attention.

Why in the WORLD does this child think she needs to worry about the rocking? Hello, young one. I have got this under control. I’m 29 years old. I can rock a baby to sleep. In fact, what made me laugh was the idea that she thought she was being helpful. I wanted to offer to her that we switch jobs. If she is so into rocking, how about I take the nap?

At what age do we start to believe that we must be self-sufficient? When do we stop trusting that the one rocking us is going to rock us to sleep? Why can’t she just enjoy resting?

Why do I feel like I have to be self-sufficient? When did I stop trusting that the One holding me couldn’t bring me peace?

Why can’t I just enjoy resting?

1. posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:47 AM  |  reply

Beautiful.
    I think I grew more in my Christian faith after we had children! They do seem to make things hit home, don’t they.(…and a child shall lead them) May you (and all of us) rest in God’s amazing peace!

2. Heidi S
    posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:57 AM  |  reply

This is awesome Annie! A perfect meditation for the start of my day.

What a beautiful and sweet way for God to show you this truth 🙂

3. posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

i love this. i love everything about this.

4. posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:39 AM  |  reply

so cute! And so true. Praying you can realize today where you may being trying to ‘help’ God, and instead just let Him. 🙂

5. Shana Owen
    posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 11:53 AM  |  reply

Thank you- that’s such a great image! Trust God- He’s got this.

6. posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 12:01 PM  |  reply

I needed to hear this today. 🙂 Thanks.

7. posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM  |  reply

Oh yes. So true. Thank you for that reminder today, Annie!

8. Amy Downs Rakes
    posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:25 PM  |  reply

I was thinking about you and sleeping last night. Stella rubs her feet together like you do. It’s the strangest thing. She’s in footie pajamas inside a swaddle blanket and yet she still finds a way to rub her feet like a little cricket.

9. Jenica Stephens
    posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:41 PM  |  reply

We covered this VERY subject in Breaking Free last night. I guess God is trying to tell me that I need to rest.
    Cme to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and by burden is light. Matthew 11:25-30

10. posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:45 PM  |  reply

I know. I think I was about 3 months old!

11. 79Leslie
    posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:33 PM  |  reply

A beautiful lesson for today, thank you Annie! As someone that was stubborn from a very young age (just ask my momma!) I struggle with this daily. Thankfully, God is patient with me and knows my heart 🙂

12. reva austin
    posted on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:18 PM  |  reply

Awesome analogy! Thanks, Annie!

13. posted on Mar 18, 2010 at 11:10 PM  |  reply

Hello sister friend… is this my life you are describing?