Scared in Zumba.

on April 12, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 11 comments by

Saturday morning, I went to a Zumba class at the gym.

I love Zumba. Have we discussed this already? Because I do. I really REALLY like to dance. I mean, that’s a whole post in itself, about how I used to hate to dance and now I love it, so we’ll save that for another day. But the real important part is that I. LOVE. TO. DANCE.

So the fact that Zumba, which is dancing, counts as exercise, is quite enjoyable to me.

Saturday morning, a handful of us loaded up and headed together to the 11:15am Zumba class taught by Lorenza. [She’s the best. Hands down.] Halfway through the class, two men and a woman walked in. They all went to the back of the room and stood together. She soon began to dance with us, but the two men just stood there. Staring.

It was clear that they didn’t speak English. I don’t know where they were from, but they were definitely not from Nashville.

Before I realized it, I was in defense mode. I kept looking over my shoulder. Keeping an eye on them. And my heart was racing.

Because I couldn’t get my friend Anne Jackson out of my mind.

[Yes, that sentence actually makes sense- stay with me.]

Anne has spent the last week or so in Moldova learning and writing about sex trafficking. And her posts have been really moving and heartbreaking and descriptive.

And though I knew I was safe, I had glimpses of the things that Anne wrote about all week.

What a nightmare. What if someone could just walk into a gym, grab me by the arm, walk me out, and sell me across the state lines? Never seeing my family again, leaving my home and all my belongings, being forced to do the most horrible things?

I was scared in Zumba. I was not scared because I felt like I was in danger, I was scared because I knew that somewhere, someone just like me truly was in danger. IS in danger.

I’m safe from being trafficked. But some girls? Sex trafficking is the only life they will ever know. It is so disturbing that the fear even sneaks up on me in Zumba when the weird situation mirrors the sex trade stories from Anne while in Europe.

I can’t exactly explain it. I don’t know if I’ve done the story justice here. And I don’t have any clean, wrap-up answer. I just know that Anne’s stories have deeply affected me this week. I hope you take time to read them.

[Also. Just so you don’t worry about my dancing safety, the men in the back of Zumba ended up being completely kind and nice and are members of the gym. No biggie. I promise.]

1. posted on Apr 12, 2010 at 7:14 AM  |  reply

Oh Annie. I have read Anne’s posts. I can’t remember how I got there, but someone else linked to them. It made my heart ache. And then our church sang “God of This City” yesterday morning and our preacher shared how the song was birthed. (http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=13043) The Lord has put this in front of my eyes three times in a week. Pray, my friend. Pray.

2. posted on Apr 12, 2010 at 8:29 AM  |  reply

Andy, my hubster, is a campus pastor at UCF in Orlando, and we’ve spent a lot of time this year having different people come in and talk to the college students about sex trafficking. There are MANY kids in Florida who are taken for this very reason. SICK and deeply SAD.

Thanks for posting about this ever growing tragedy in America and in other countries.

Love that you LOVE Zumba.

3. posted on Apr 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

1) I’ve never tried Zumba because I fear I’m not coordinated enough. But I’m told I’m really missing out.

2) Anne’s posts have been haunting me all weekend. How is this happening in today’s world?

4. posted on Apr 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM  |  reply

Cool! I’d love to try zumba!!

And…not cool at all. I had a similar moment yesterday. I was walking down the sidewalk on my street with my daughter, and a car drove by. I glanced up and realized the driver was a man, and he was grinning at my daughter. After reading Anne’s postings (which have almost been Too. Hard. for me to handle), the whole thing creeped me out. And he was probably a perfectly nice man.

5. posted on Apr 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM  |  reply

So scary, and sooo sad. Thanks for sharing the links – eye opening to say the very least.

And Zumba. Is Awesome :).

6. posted on Apr 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM  |  reply

I hear you… Anne’s story has stayed with my heart all week too

7. posted on Apr 14, 2010 at 8:44 AM  |  reply

My heart hurts for those girls…

8. posted on Apr 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM  |  reply

Zumba’s good stuff. I haven’t been in awhile. Need to get back in the groove. I make a fool of myself. And that is good for me…

Sex Trafficking (sp?) is disturbing. Anne’s post was mind-blowing. I had no idea.

9. posted on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:12 PM  |  reply

Love that you LOVE Zumba.

10. ThatOne
    posted on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:39 PM  |  reply

ZUMBA IS AWESOME! and isa not suppose to be competitive at all. It really stinks when people come into a ZUMBA class, and try to be competitive with one another. Hello, thats not what it is all about. Just because a person is good at something, they LOVE, which is dancing that DOES not mean they “think” they are better than the next.. etc.. People should you feel like you are going to a ZUMBA class, and you can dance, and have rhythm, DONT LET other people make you feel less than you are, so that you don’t return to the class, because that is not what it is all about. Isn’t working out about feeling good? And can people ever think for themselves in this era? …GO GO GO GIRL

11. posted on Oct 11, 2010 at 3:47 AM  |  reply

Yeah1 that’s right zumba is truly amazing!. There’s no need to scared about it, it’s all about fun!.

I was too scared before to take a dance class.But now I don’t tremble anymore!