And then there were none.

on April 15, 2010 in Nanny McAnnie Diaries with 11 comments by

Y’all know I’m a nanny part-time. For one family.

February 2009

February 2009

I’ve been hanging with these jokers for some portion of every week for the last year and a half. And I don’t know when it happened, I couldn’t pinpoint the day, but at some point we went from nanny and family to just, well, family.

Simply said: I love them and they love me.

And in a few short days, they fly to LA for three months.

Simply said: Cool for them, sad heart for me.

Because they are my people.

August 2009

August 2009

I just don’t really know what to think about it yet. Time wise, I’ve planned out how to use these extra days each week to push forward on some awesome writing opportunities, maybe sleep late, maybe just enjoy a day off. And somehow, in the “I wonder what I’ll do with my nanny days these next few months” my brain forgot to register what it really meant.

They’re gone. And these moments are gone.

April 2010

April 2010

April 2010

April 2010

Adler & Annie

Adler & Annie

Eisley & Annie

Eisley & Annie

Sweetness

Sweetness.

They say that three months will go by really quick.

They are probably right, but it doesn’t feel that way today.

The snuggles, the hugs, the chicken nugget lunches, the naptimes, the chocolate milk, the blankies and passies, the stuffed monkeys, the cars, the kisses, the laughs, the “I love you, Yannie” moments- they add up to far more than 3 months on a calendar.

There’s a place in my heart that will not be filled by anyone but them. And I hope they hurry home.

1. posted on Apr 15, 2010 at 6:13 AM  |  reply

I hope the time will fly by for you.
    Keeping busy will surely help.

Loved your vids yesterday!

2. Heidi S
    posted on Apr 15, 2010 at 9:12 AM  |  reply

awww…that’s so hard 🙁 The hard thing about not seeing kids for awhile is that they the grow and learn so fast that not even seeming for a week will make it seem like you’ve missed out on important things! I remember going to college and having to leave my much younger sisters. I missed them SO much and everytime I would come (on the weekends and for breaks) I just couldn’t believe how they were constantly growing and developing!

I pray God blesses this unique three months for you in a beautiful way!

3. posted on Apr 15, 2010 at 9:44 AM  |  reply

So sweet…I bet you’re the best nanny ever!

4. posted on Apr 15, 2010 at 11:24 AM  |  reply

So sad! I pray the time goes by quickly, but Heidi is right in that they grow up so quickly!

I was having an ‘I miss Dallas and my people’ day yesterday. It was bad. I’ve been gone a little over 6 months and I saw some pictures from a wedding and it just sent me over the edge 🙁

The thing is I’m not sure people really realize how much you miss them when they’re gone. You know? I pray those kids and that family know how much you’ll miss them!

5. posted on Apr 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM  |  reply

OH, and the title of this post made me think of the book by the same name. Have you ever read it?

We did in 9th or 10th grade and I really enjoyed it, although I don’t remember a whole lot about it. But I do remember that I liked it. 🙂

6. Travis
    posted on Apr 15, 2010 at 1:05 PM  |  reply

If you ever get really low, you can always buy me a chicken nugget lunch and some chocolate milk.
    Just sayin,
    Travis

7. Sarah McGalliard
    posted on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:00 PM  |  reply

okay I’m with you on this… a family that I nannied for for the past 2 and a half years are moving to ENGLAND for a few years while the dad (who was also my youth minister and dear friend) works on his PhD. SAD!

8. posted on Apr 18, 2010 at 6:10 PM  |  reply

isn’t it wonderful the way God writes people into our lives.
    in june i will be going to the high school graduation of my former preschool student, whose entire family became my God-family.

9. posted on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:23 AM  |  reply

I nannied for 5 years and I know what you’re talkin’ about…I loved those kids so much my heart just ached. Once my sister said I couldn’t love the kids I nannied as much as she loved her own kids…and that made my heart ache even more. Cuz the love I loved those kids with felt just about as deep as any love can get.

10. posted on Apr 20, 2010 at 7:26 PM  |  reply

every mom wants people to love her children the way you love these sweet kiddos.

I know that this family will miss you something fierce. you are a blessing to them, for sure.

11. Mimi
    posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM  |  reply

Thank you Nanny McAnnie for loving our precious babies so much. We feel so blessed to have you in our family. As in all things, God’s grace will help these next three months pass quickly. Let me know when you are feeling particularly sad and we will share a wonderful A & E story that will surely make us smile. We love you.