Stories of rain.

on May 3, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 15 comments by

I’m not in Nashville right now, but just reading, watching, and hearing the stories of my friends surviving the floods is unbelievable.

It happened like this in Atlanta in September. The water came so quickly. No one could prepare- and even if you could, how do you prepare for five feet of water in your basement? Creeks become rushing rivers and yards become ponds.

The power of water. Sheesh.

I wanted to blog today about my trip to NYC. And I will soon. But something just feels wrong about making jokes and being silly and working hard to combine words correctly in such a way that will make you laugh at my hijinks. [And laugh you will because, hello, my life is ridiculous.]

I don’t feel like laughing when so many that I care about are suffering.

I wish I was there. My house is fine, my electricity is still on. In fact, I think some friends are sleeping in my bed. And I wish I was there to be with my people as they deal with this stuff. I’m sure I’d be sick of emptying buckets about 14 minutes in, but I still wish I was there.

There’s this thing about Nashville. And maybe this is true in any emergency situation in any place- the people rise up, higher than the water. The community loves. And even on a normal day, I see people care more for a neighbor than for themselves. So when something like this happens and as I hear stories of my friends loving my friends and caring for each other, I ache to be there to be a part of our community.

A lot of pictures and links and clicks can be found through Nashvillest – possibly the coolest and most reliable source in the city. Those girls work hard making sure they know the scoop in Nash.

Also, you can see what others said on twitter using the search term #othersituation2010. [The first situation was the blizzard in February- yep, I missed that one too. What’s up with me leaving Nash and the weather going nutso?]

For years, we will tell stories of this rain. It’s historic. It’s unbelievable.

If you want to help, either in Nashville or in another city, click here to read how you can.

If nothing else, pray. Pray for my friends and pray for my city.

1. posted on May 03, 2010 at 4:16 AM  |  reply

(Where ARE you?)

2. posted on May 03, 2010 at 7:46 AM  |  reply

As I watched The Weather Channel reporting from Nashville, I thought of you and your friends. Praying everyone will recover from this soon.

3. April
    posted on May 03, 2010 at 8:16 AM  |  reply

Annie,

Thinking of you and have been praying for you–I thought you were there and as soon as I heard, I have been on my knees for Nashville.
    Praying and hope you’re doing well.
    Much love,
    April

4. posted on May 03, 2010 at 9:29 AM  |  reply

I’ve been trying to figure out the meaning behind the hashtag–I should have remembered the snow, being I was there for of it, heh.

Praying and praying often. I can’t imagine the chaos that would ensue in such a mess.

5. posted on May 03, 2010 at 9:31 AM  |  reply

that was supposed to be “for part of it”, but apparently I can’t type correctly with one hand and two children climbing on me.

6. posted on May 03, 2010 at 9:31 AM  |  reply

Thank you for writing this and thinking about all of us in Nashville and the surrounding areas (heck, the whole state pretty much!) right now. We woke up to a beautiful day, but for some, the storm is still raging.

7. posted on May 03, 2010 at 9:42 AM  |  reply

This post is exactly how I felt last night when I had pictures to post but the creek behind my house was so loud that I started panicking. Im praying and asked for the same thing on my blog. I just moved here from WA state a few months ago and so many friends I have made are suffering right now thanks for thinking of us all.

8. posted on May 03, 2010 at 9:53 AM  |  reply

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mary and Ashleigh Baker, Malia. Malia said: Thank you to @annieblogs for this post! http://bit.ly/cj6TvM […]

9. posted on May 03, 2010 at 10:21 AM  |  reply

i think the lesson here is NEVER LEAVE US AGAIN.
    amen.

10. MeridethMerideth Schoolcraft
    posted on May 03, 2010 at 2:09 PM  |  reply

Annie, I’m so glad to know that you are all right! And that your home is in tact, too. Where are you? NYC again?
    I know what you mean about wanting to be with friends you love in times like this, and not wanting to joke about stuff. You just feel so horribly that they are struggling, and that you are helpless at the moment to do anything and what you are doing doesn’t feel like enough. And just wanting to be a part of that community with your loved ones is awesome when you can, but hard when you can’t be there. Been there many times, my friend. Last September, in fact, and with a couple of different situations that month. It breaks your heart.
    Praying for you and your friends. Love ya.

11. posted on May 04, 2010 at 12:14 AM  |  reply

There are spiritual lessons in the physical realm. This reminds me of that song: “even when the rain falls, even when the flood starts rising, even when the storm comes, I am washed by the water.” I lived through the floods in Atlanta in September and as crazy as it was, I felt like Atlanta needed cleansing. And as destructive and powerful storms can be, it is incredible to what lengths God will go to make the world stop and marvel at His might–who can continue life at a normal pace in the midst of a storm crisis? We all must stop and acknowledge and change. Our lives are forever transformed when He intervenes in such a real and obvious and tangible way. I pray Nashville is washed in the water and the city is left purified and better for it. To everything turn turn turn…

12. posted on May 04, 2010 at 12:55 PM  |  reply

[…] Annie Blogs: “Stories of Rain” […]

13. posted on May 04, 2010 at 11:02 PM  |  reply

Thanks for the post. What’s with you missing our “situations”? I’m suspicious. 😀

14. posted on May 04, 2010 at 11:50 PM  |  reply

Annie-
    I was out of town too and just got back. It’s crazy trying to keep up with the news, huh? I kept wearing my poor iphone down with all the pictures and videos. I just posted my feelings about coming back which I bet you will empathize with: http://www.styleblueprint.com/local-fun/love-nashville/
    I think everyone thought it must have been great to have been gone. I know it’s not. You want to see, experience and help. Safe travels.
    -Liza