Apparently I wanted to talk about television.

on May 25, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 23 comments by

I am sorry that you didn’t see the movie Spring Breakdown on Lifetime Network.

I know. Lifetime movies are known for the high drama and low quality [truth hurts, LN], but let me tell you.

Will Arnett. Amy Poehler. Parker Posey. Seth Meyers. And laughs. Lots of laughs.

I laughed out loud four times in the first 9 minutes. [As the movie has continued, I will say that there are some parts that are a tad inappropriate. Just so you know.]

I mean, as long as I’m making Lifetime confessions, let’s go ahead and talk about my extreme excitement regarding Drop Dead Diva returning in a week and a half, give or take. I have long looked for a replacement show for Ally McBeal and being that it went off the air in 2002, it has been a lengthy search.

I’m not sure Drop Dead Diva is quite there, but it is close, my people. Close.

I have a short list of other shows that I love all the time and according to what my fingers are typing, I want to tell you about them now.

• Parenthood. It’s not totes family friendly. But I really like the storylines. I applaud the writers.
  • Modern Family. Laughter aboundeth.
  • Real Housewives. I don’t care where they live, I’m gonna watch it. Particularly enjoying the PILES-O-CRAZY in New York right now and I am afraid of those New Jersey women. Like seriously.
  • Top Chef Masters. I am in awe of their skillz.
  • Glee. Me and all the other teensters.
  • Deadliest Catch. I know Capt. Phil dies at the end of this season and the editors have done a good job of making me tear up every week.

Last but not least. Grey’s Anatomy. That finale?!? I just watched it and Y’ALL. Has anyone else seen it?!? I was losing my mind. Tense as a stretched rubberband. Crying. All of it.

So obviously, I have used my time wisely since returning from New York.

Ahem.

[Make me feel better here. Tell me your favorite shows. Or. Tell me your thoughts on Grey’s. Tell me I’m not the only one who has drained her DVR lately.]

1. posted on May 25, 2010 at 7:42 AM  |  reply

Oh my, we could be tv watching best buds! I love, love, love Parenthood and Modern Family!!! Can’t get enough! Oh, and bring in the Real Houswives – Jeresey’s my fav! The Atlanta girls make me sad to say that’s where I live! But Jersey and NYC, oh my! I also love me some Glee and Top Chef. And we’ve got to throw in The Office AND Law and Order SVU. Ahhh, this makes my heart happy!

2. posted on May 25, 2010 at 7:50 AM  |  reply

I am SUPER excited for the return of Drop Dead Diva too! All of Season 1 is on hulu right now, so I’m going to play catch up to refresh my memory!

3. posted on May 25, 2010 at 7:53 AM  |  reply

Thanks for making me feel so much better! I just returned from a trip as well, and am now fully caught up in the lives of all the housewives and are friends at Seattle Grace.

As for the Grey’s finale? Oh my word! I used to think the show was kind of on the way out, but the finale was the best episode ever. I cried multiple times. Looks like they’re not over yet.

And then there’s Modern Family–there are so many things I love about that show, I can’t even put it into words. My favorite show of the year. LOVE it!

4. posted on May 25, 2010 at 8:11 AM  |  reply

Oh my! Grey’s. I may have yelled a profanity at the TV about 7 minutes into that episode. I predicted most everything that happened, and I still had my blood pressure raised by that show. That was some seriously high quality TV (and I should know; I watch a lot of very low quality TV).

I also thoroughly enjoy Modern Family and Cougar Town. And Glee has been making me very happy lately. That duet of I Dreamed a Dream? Amazing!

5. posted on May 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

Grey’s was a great finale–getting a little tired of the two girl lovers, but the operating scene was great. Love drop dead diva and Army Wives on Lifetime. 24 ended last night–sad to see it end, but Jack is still alive, so who knows?.
    BTW I was away from technology so I missed some blogs–what happened with your weight loss program?

6. posted on May 25, 2010 at 8:23 AM  |  reply

Have you SEEN Glee from last week? Let me just say that Neil Patrick Harris (swooon, even if he doesn’t like girls) and Will singing their duet in the play auditions (I won’t tell you what it is in case you haven’t seen it yet and want to be surprised, I’m considerate that way). But seriously…one of the BEST songs of this entire season. And Artie singing and dancing? Yes! It was so good! And Idina Menzel? Yes!

That’s all I have to say about that. I don’t watch any of the other shows you listed πŸ™ I’m basically a Glee, Bones and Dancing with The Stars kind of girl.

Oh, but the few times that I did watch Modern Family…laughed out loud. And I wanted to catch Parenthood (Lauren Graham in an almost as cool role as Lorelai Gilmore? Yes please!) πŸ™‚ But…I didn’t πŸ™

Stopping now!

7. Merideth
    posted on May 25, 2010 at 8:30 AM  |  reply

I am a top chef fan too! I like to see what kinds of things they cook up. Did you see the top chef masters where they had to cook all kinds of weird meats? Kangaroo, black chicken, etc.? I could not cook a kangaroo! I haven’t seen Glee, but after hearing you and my sister talk about it I’m starting to wonder if I should check it out. I saw only part of the Grey’s finale. I forgot it was on, so I missed the first 30 minutes or so. Sadly, 2 of my favorite shows are over. Lost and 24. A friend from grad school was in town this past weekend. Instead of going out for a night on the town , for our time together we sat in her hotel room, ate pizza and watch the finale of lost together. It was great! OH and I like NCIS too.

8. posted on May 25, 2010 at 8:56 AM  |  reply

Was just talking to Hubs last night about my commitment issues with television. I can count on one hand the number of shows that I have followed and stuck with until the bitter end of the series finale. I’ve caught full series in re-runs that I didn’t watch when they were on, but that’s being a little late to the party, right? I like RHONY, but only if I catch it on. And sometimes I can’t handle the crazy. The new Jersey people freak me out and I’m not a big fan of the other cities. I thought I was a very loyal Brothers and Sisters type, but the show lost me this season. And Rob Lowe left, which seems to be his pattern. I enjoy Modern Family, I enjoy Glee, but I tend to watch the episodes that everybody talks about and ignore the others.

‘Nother words, I’ve got commitment issues.

But show me any episode of the West Wing and I will still remember where I was when I watched it.

Go figure.

9. Emily
    posted on May 25, 2010 at 9:19 AM  |  reply

The grey’s finale – I literally gasped out loud! Ahh – total freakouts and tears! I’ve actually never seen Parenthood or Modern Family (apparently only person alive!) – I need to catch up this summer!

10. Lori Mahon
    posted on May 25, 2010 at 9:56 AM  |  reply

I too pile shows on DVR and then spend the weekend either watching them all and my brain feels like mush or I never watch them — but lately I’ve watched it πŸ™‚

My shows – which go right along with your picks:

– Real Housewives – my goodness they are the definition of drama!
    – 9 By Design – loving this odd-ball family & their style
    – Grey’s Anatomy – I think I watched most of it behind a pillow – it was INSANE and back to the 1st & 2nd seasons’ style
    – LOST – and now it is over πŸ™
    – Selling New York – pretty much anything on HGTV is golden in my book
    – Project Runway – a-m-azing

11. posted on May 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

Okay, I’m about to get all types of embarassed in your comments.

Parenthood – I love it. Its one of the few shows that I feel like I laugh and cry. I love Lauren Graham, I love the actor that plays Adam, heck… I even love the girl that plays Amber (but of course when you watch Hope Floats how can you not fall in love with that girl?)
    Glee – I have mini crushes on Finn, Artie… and I want to be Rachel Berry sometimes.
    Gossip Girl – Yes, gossip girl… trashy? yes. inappropriate for teenagers? yes. drama filled? yes. and oh dear… the fashion!
    The Bachlorette – I really was rooting for Allie last season, so I can’t wait to watch this season.

Now shows that are incredibly inappropriate but seriously bring my so much joy that I can over look all the sex and violence…

True Blood – I went as Sookie for Halloween this year.
    Party Down – done by the same guy who did Veronica Mars
    Weeds – Nancy Botwin is a horrible parent/mother… but also kind of a Bad-A.

12. posted on May 25, 2010 at 10:12 AM  |  reply

I’ve got to add Private Practice. I like it better than Grey’s these days…

Also, I watch a lot of the CW…I know I’m not a teenager but I still reliving the angst…

13. posted on May 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM  |  reply

I LOVE Modern Family. That is laughs the entire time.

I’ll admit I like Real Housewives too, but I’m more picky on location. The Jersey and Atlanta girls actually scare me.

I’m also a BIG fan of The Office.

14. posted on May 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM  |  reply

i thought i was the only person in the world who misses ally mcbeal. glad to know i’m not alone.

15. posted on May 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM  |  reply

My DVR is sad now, because all my good stuff is coming to the season end. I mean come on, Bones, Brothers & Sisters, Grey’s, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory. I’m almost heartbroken-but So You Think You Can Dance will fill my summer months, so I think I’ll be ok.

16. Kristi kay
    posted on May 25, 2010 at 1:04 PM  |  reply

Loooooooove Parenthood. I look forward to it all day on Tuesday. I think the storylines are usually right on…even if they don’t work out perfectly. How great was Adam when he was dancing in the living room to Run DMC? “You gotta’ turn this off (pointing to brain) and turn this on (pointing to body).” LOVE IT.

Plus, Crosby…impossible not to love him.

17. Amy
    posted on May 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM  |  reply

Another Gleek (that has not been a teenager in about 20 years)!

The Office is my most favorite TV ever though – I love to laugh so hard I cry!

I gave up on Grey’s a few months ago, but I think I will go ahead and watch the season finale just bc I have heard so much about it.

Sports – addicted to the Red Sox and SEC football – ROLL TIDE!

18. posted on May 25, 2010 at 7:55 PM  |  reply

You just made me feel so much better about the immense amount of hulu I watch πŸ™‚
    Seriously I really like Parenthood as well. They have presented some interesting stuff all with a great theme of family.
    And as for Grey’s – I wasn’t crying because my mouth was open in shock for most of the show. Like some serious jaw dropping was going on. It was so intense!

19. posted on May 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM  |  reply

Grey’s=severe depression. Required an entire blogpost on my end, so I applaud you for only needing part of one πŸ™‚

20. posted on May 25, 2010 at 9:32 PM  |  reply

Modern Family is one of the best shows I have ever watched…I laugh the entire time. I haven’t watched the Grey’s finale yet…probs tomorrow if it rains….
    but Modern Family…is the greatest!!!!!! I laugh out loud the entire time!!!!

21. posted on May 25, 2010 at 9:49 PM  |  reply

yes, grey’s finale was incredible. super unrealistic, but don’t we have enough reality tv already. one of the most unrealistic is that a resident physician is going to take a home pregnancy test at the hospital?? hello…that is what the supply closet is for, right?
    anyway, my other favs are Gossip Girl (it’s a guilty pleasure) 30 Rock and the Office, my DVR gets a work out on Thursday nights.
    I also <3 The Soup on E! on Friday nights…what a riot.
    And so thankful for Mad Men…otherwise there would be nothing to watch during the summer!

22. posted on May 25, 2010 at 11:02 PM  |  reply

Love Glee and Parenthood. Love them.

And Grey’s? O to the M I could hardly watch it I was so nervous and on the edge. I literally scream at the television and talked to it. If you knew how much my Mom drives me crazy doing that.

And DDD…cannot WAIT for the premiere.

And I do love me some Private Practice too.

And sadly…24. But alas Jack has left the country. Sigh.

I am a television junkie too. πŸ˜‰

23. posted on May 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM  |  reply

Darn it, Annie! I was just going to skim your post and move on, because I have too many unreads in my Reader. But then you have to go and address the issue that’s always close to my heart: the TV.

Yes, LOVE Parenthood! And Modern Family cracks me up every week. Also – yes, YES to Glee. I’m also a fan of a few crime shows, although I watch for the characters: Castle, NCIS and Bones. I recently quit Grey’s Anatomy, but reading a recap of the finale is tempting me to go back…