Snack Attack.

on June 14, 2010 in That's delish. with 9 comments by

I had an awesome weekend. A good friend came in town for Saturday and Sunday morning and then I headed to the pool Sunday afternoon. [side note: blogging about that tomorrow. preview: I proposed to a man in the pool.]

I absolutely love the snack attack feeling that occurs post-pool time. I recall a day when that snack session *might* have involved oreos [guilty pleasure], but in my current Get Fit lifestyle, I wanted something substantial, protein-y, but delicious.

Enter Mama’s pimento cheese. It’s easy and relatively healthy.

• 1 (10 oz) package sharp Cracker Barrel cheese [I get the low-fat version.]
  • 1/2 cup of mayo [again, low fat. And that new stuff with canola/olive oil makes this healthy heart happy. Or make your own, which I’m sure my friend LoraLynn does.]
  • 1/2 tsp of yellow mustard
  • 1 (4 oz) jar of diced pimentos with oil

Then you just shred the cheese, mix everybody else in and then booyah, you’ve got yourself pimento cheese.

[Which, by the way, I didn’t ask my mom’s permission before disclosing this recipe, so if she’s ever at your house and says, “Wow, this pimento cheese is to die for!” and in her mind thinking, ‘because it tastes just like my recipe,’ don’t tell her you got the recipe from my blog. And I won’t tell your mom that you like my mom’s pimento cheese recipe better than hers. Deal?]

AND. I was thrilled because in my pantry was Stacy’s Pita Chips. I heart these puppies, big time. And my post pool snack attack became a snack sanctuary with some pimento cheese spread across a pita chip.

I can have 10 chips for 130 calories, and with the pimento cheese and an apple, that was my dinner, about 400 cals.

Happy, happy girl.

Not to mention, I had proposed in the pool, so I was already feeling good. Now a healthy snack to boot? WHAT KIND OF AMAZING LIFE IS THIS?

I’m not engaged, by the way. But I do love Stacy’s Pita Chips and I have to wonder if Stacy is a man and if he is, will he marry me? Because I think I could do well leading a life where I am constantly surrounded by pita chips.

Am I right or am I right?

I’m rambling. Forgive me.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE healthy dip recipes, so if you have one, will you send it to me? Or leave a link in the comments to your blog where you posted about a delicious dip? Also, I don’t like hummus. So don’t push your hummus agenda on me. 🙂

Happy Monday.

[By the way, I’ll proudly tell you that I received free product samples and that my post is eligible for a gift card via random drawing by One2One Network because I wrote about Stacy’s. I also might be eligible for a restraining order if Stacy is a single male because I want to marry the pita chip man.]

1. posted on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:01 AM  |  reply

Ree introduced me to Stacy’s Pita Chips on her blog. My daughter had them at her wedding with hot Spinach-Artichoke Dip. Yum. So sad because we wanted them at her baby shower and could not find a place in town that sells them. All my dip recipes are fattening. I LOVE pimento cheese. I’ll have to add the mustard to my recipe and see how that tastes.

Now about that proposal…

2. posted on Jun 14, 2010 at 7:30 AM  |  reply

Sadly, I do not make my own mayo. I’m a Hellman’s girl, all the way. And it AIN’T low-fat.

Make this w/low-fat everything. I’ve not tried it that way, but it should work:
    Dill Dip

1 block cream cheese.
    1 cup sour cream.
    2 tblsp dried dill
    2 tablsp chopped green onion
    1/2 tsp salt.
    Can add milk if you want it a bit creamier.

combine in mixer or mix with hand-mixer. We like to dip corn chips or Ruffles with ridges in it. But carrots and celery are also delicious. Ooo, and cucumbers. Yum. (Andrew likes it with Doritos, but he hasn’t worried about his weight since birth, so we don’t talk about him.)

3. Cecily Farwell
    posted on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:56 AM  |  reply

Stacy is a lady. And yes, I love her Simply Naked Chips. But I love them too much!! Gotta count those little buggers! Have a great day Annie

4. posted on Jun 14, 2010 at 9:39 AM  |  reply

best black bean dip – evah

1 can black beans (drained)
    1 small green bell pepper
    1/2 a medium onion
    1 clove garlic

Put all those in a food processor and puree.

add 1-2 tsp seasoned salt (or to taste)
    1 heaping tablespoon ground cumin
    a dash of cayenne

Heat skillet with about 2-3 tbl of healthy oil on stove over medium high heat. pour in bean mixture. Stir constantly. Cook till beans bubble and thicken – about 15 minutes. eat hot or cold with pita chips, tortilla chips, carrot sticks… whatev!

5. posted on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM  |  reply

yum yum yum….going to take this recipe….cause pimiento cheese is my fav!!! and i love stacy’s as well…nice work on getting free samples and maybs a husband out of it…haha!

hope you’re doing well! and enjoying your healthy heart lifestyle! I am inspired! :o)

6. jennifer
    posted on Jun 14, 2010 at 5:15 PM  |  reply

love 1/2 avacado mashed with a tablespoon or two of fresh salsa (in the deli section of the store if you son’t make it yourself) and about two tablespoons of cottage cheese (if you can find the smooth cottage cheese that’s preferable but it’s hard to find…sometimes I whir it up in the blender). You can add corn or black beans. I eat it with cucumber slices if I am being real good or whole wheat pita chips.

I also love black beans, corn, chopped tomato, cilantro and a little balsamic vinegar. I eat it for lunch all by itself. If I have avocado…it’s a good day. : )

7. posted on Jun 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM  |  reply

My favorite “healthy” snack is homemade guacamole. I make one serving at a time, so as to not completely make myself sick eating too much of it. Because I truly believe good quacamole should be it’s own food group…

1 avacado
    1 Tbs lemon juice
    1/2 red onion finely chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    Then run your knife through it until you get the avacado diced.
    1 chopped seeded tomato

I eat this with baked tostidos and it’s just plain yummy!!!

8. Jen
    posted on Aug 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM  |  reply

Just googled you to find this recipe in the grocery store. Thanks! Can’t wait to have some.

9. posted on Sep 21, 2010 at 3:26 PM  |  reply

I know I’m way late commenting on this. But I’m reading old blog posts. Because I found you today. And I like you. 🙂

I have a friend whose co-workers name is Stacy. Because her name is Stacy, Stacy’s Pita Chips sent her a big box of snack-sized bags of pita chips. Stacy (the pita chip person) is, in fact, a woman. They sent their pita chips to people named Stacy all over the country to get the word out. That’s how we discovered them. My friend (whose name is Holly) brought home some pita chips that she got from Stacy (her co-worker) and shared them with us on a picnic one day. Hence, a wonderful relationship was born.

We buy Stacys Pita Chips in a giant bag at Sams Club. They’re my favorite with homemade chunky guacamole. Guacamole with lime (not lemons), onion, tomato, fresh garlic and cilantro and the secret ingredient….. finely chopped iceberg lettuce! (or finely chopped alfalfa sprouts) My dad started putting lettuce in guacamole when it was either too strong, or he needed to stretch it. It is WONDERFUL. I hated avacados until I tried his guacamole.