Buddies at the Bluebird.

on June 22, 2010 in Sounds good to me. with 11 comments by

My friend Annie introduced me to the Bluebird Cafe in 2008. To this day, it is one of the greatest gifts she has ever given me.

I go as often as possible. If you don’t know about the Bluebird, it is easy to explain. Artists in Nashville play at the venues around town. Songwriters in Nashville play at the Bluebird.

So last week, Laura, Marisa, Brooke and I headed down to hear some amazing songwriters. And, as sick-in-the-brain as this is, I thought, “I totally should blog about these dudes cause I’m not sure I have before.”

[As Keith Urban says, “…cause you’re always in my heart, you’re always on my mind…”]

All four of these boys are great writers and I think you will LOVE what they do.

Here’s the setup- the songwriters sit in the round and for about 2 hours, they each play songs that they have written.

We got to hear

Andrew Ripp. His voice is INSANE and he writes beautiful stuff. I love getting to hear him live. You should try to do the same.

Steve Moakler

Steve Moakler. Steve’s a young guy, but he writes some fierce music. He’s one of those artists that sounds EXACTLY the same live, if not better, than he does on his records. Living in a city full of well produced artists, it is refreshing when people are just.plain.talented.

Cary Barlowe. I bet you know his music. He’s written some big deal country songs, lots of stuff from Toby Mac. It was one of those surprising times at Bluebird where every time it was his turn, I recognized his music. I was happy. A happy happy girl.

Last but not least is a good friend of mine, Shane Stevens. You may recognize him as “the man who made me gorgie-poo at the Grammys.”

He said my hair was JUST like Sarah Jessica Parker’s hair and on that day, in that moment, he won my allegiance forever.

He’s an amazing songwriter, y’all. And I absolutely loved getting to hear him sing his stuff live.

Shane Stevens

Look at him go. Booyah.

So check these boys out if you are looking for great sounds and words.

Thanks to Music City Unsigned for hosting such a cool night at the Bluebird.

If you ever come to Nashville to visit, make sure you schedule in a trip to the Bluebird. You will not regret it.

1. Sarah
    posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 4:36 AM  |  reply

Oh my. I love Andrew and Steve. I will def check the others out. Andrew is one of those people who when you meet him, you feel that you have been his friend forever. So charming and i swear, he has a heart of gold. Thanks for the other recommendations.

2. posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 5:53 AM  |  reply

I used to watch a show from there on CMT. I loved being surprised by the writers whose songs I recognized over and over again. Thanks for the intros. Now on to the links.

3. Merideth
    posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 7:50 AM  |  reply

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m always up for new music. Hearing you talk about Nashville sometimes makes me wish I was there!

4. posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 8:09 AM  |  reply

My cousin played the Bluebird on Thursday! Justin Davis and Sarah Zimmerman…Otherwise known as the future of awesomeness.

5. Face
    posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 8:53 AM  |  reply

Very cool.

6. posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM  |  reply

Annie- You look so good in this photo! Girl- you look awesome! And your hair is beautiful! Thanks for sharing, Annie! I grew up near Nashville and can you believe I have never been to the Bluebird? I’ll be home in July, I’ll have to make it a point to see if there’s a show then. Blessings!

7. posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 10:23 AM  |  reply

i was totes there. amazing night indeed.

8. posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 2:07 PM  |  reply

I MISS THE BLUEBIRD. And you.

9. Kristi kay
    posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM  |  reply

One of those things I’ve always wanted to do…go to the Bluebird…not sing at the Bluebird 🙂

10. posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM  |  reply

Sounds like an amazing place that I would totally love…thanks for the suggestions about music, too! I always love that!!

11. posted on Jun 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM  |  reply

LOVE Andrew Ripp. I listen to his CD all the time.