Wisconsin.

on July 31, 2010 in Dreams Coming True with 17 comments by

It has been a challenging couple of weeks for me. I’ve been busy beyond my capacity to handle with grace. It’s a lot to explain, but it has to do with prepping for Lake Geneva Youth Camp combined with a two co-workers being in Africa and a third co-worker being on maternity leave and the list could just continue.

I think “busy” is one of the enemy’s power plays with me. Get me busy, make me lose focus and feel like a lunatic, and my effectiveness drops by about 45%. It’s a mathematical fact.

So today I head to Wisconsin. I have the pleasure of taking a train from Chicago up to the camp and I can hardly contain my excitement. I heart public transportation. And cooler weather. And somehow I think it is going to feel like when Anne of Green Gables first took the train to Prince Edward Island.

[The life I live in my head is rooted in some deep romanticism, eh?] [Sarah’s fault. The Canada talk and all.]

Anyways, because you are my people and I appreciate your prayers, I’d like to express a few specific things you can pray for me as I’m speaking at this camp.

#1. Pray that God would give me favor with the middle school girls. They can be a tough crowd. Trust me- I’m telling some of my very.best.stories, but I want God’s favor as well.

#2. Pray that God would bring life change in many hearts, including my own.

#3. Pray that the messages I share (all TEN of them) will speak clearly to the girls and make sense. You know, sometimes I don’t make a lot of sense. I overuse the letter Z and things of this nature.

#4. Pray that amidst the ministry, I would feel rested. Today I feel absolutely beyond exhausted and my mind is like a gerbil on an exercise wheel.

#5. Pray for safe travel, health, you know- all the basic jazz.

#6. Pray that this would open up more doors for me to speak to girls about the joy of living for Christ. I love doing this junk but I DO NOT want to be this guy, so pray for the balance of humility and embracing opportunities.

#7. Pray that above all else, WAY above all else, God would be honored and glorified. I’m me because of Him. Anything you like in me is really Him. So, when it is all said and done, I want people, specifically the teen girls, to remember Him.

Camp starts Sunday and concludes next Saturday. And honestly, I’ve been looking forward to this since February.

So I’ll take the train north, to a new world I have never seen, then I guess I’ll wait at the station for my ride to pick me up. Familiar story, if you ask me….

1. posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 6:52 AM  |  reply

Oh, Annie….I’m so excited for you. The prayers will continue to flow. Can’t wait for a recap post when you get back!

2. posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 7:25 AM  |  reply

Praying for you!!!

Have an awesome time and don’t go walking any kitchen ridgepoles* to impress those middle school girls…

*Anne reference…

3. Merideth
    posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 7:58 AM  |  reply

What a great opportunity for you! Personally, I love working with teenagers(including middle schoolers). Don’t worry about being like that guy, by the way. You are nothing like him.
    Praying all goes great. I know the girls will love you!
    OH, and, you like public transportation? I have to use it since I can’t drive, and it drives me nuts a lot of times. Although, I have never taken a train(assuming you mean like Amtrack and not just a subway). That might be fun. Safe travels!

4. posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 8:07 AM  |  reply

Ann-e. That picture makes me want to watch Anne of Green Gables now. I’ll be praying for your specific needs. Have fun!

5. Janice
    posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 8:22 AM  |  reply

I will be covering your in prayer all week! As a former Youth Director that gave many messages, I intimately know the emotions you are feeling.

God will give you strength you didn’t know you had, work in ways you weren’t expecting, and rock your world (probably in a good and frustrating way).

You will be fantastic as long as you keep your focus on HIM — I’ve learned the hard way that when I start talking instead of allowing HIM to speak through me is when things go SOUTH quickly.

Prayers will be coming all week! Can’t wait to hear how it goes!!

6. posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 8:58 AM  |  reply

I know I chatter on far too much, but if you only knew how many things I want to say and don’t.

7. posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 9:16 AM  |  reply

I’m praying for you! {and LOVE the Anne reference!}

8. posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM  |  reply

Praying for you….they’ll love you!

9. Yorokobi
    posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM  |  reply

Are you Anne with an “e”?

10. Emily Ferris
    posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 6:09 PM  |  reply

Praying for you, Annie!! Anne with an E is one of my faves – such a lovely reference!! Middle school girls are tough, but they will love you! May God be in the middle of everything you do and say!

11. Julianne
    posted on Jul 31, 2010 at 10:00 PM  |  reply

I’ll be praying for you, Annie! I was going through my notebook full of Christian articles and just things that inspire me..one of them was one of your blog posts called Surreal–so good! Love you!

12. alyssa
    posted on Aug 01, 2010 at 5:38 PM  |  reply

hopefully they aren’t expecting a guy when they pick you up at the train station, but you will win them over with your charm in no time.

13. posted on Aug 02, 2010 at 9:04 AM  |  reply

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING makes me happier than an Anne of Green Gables reference…unless the reference is paired with an Anne of Green Gables picture! 🙂

Praying your trip goes well!

14. posted on Aug 02, 2010 at 5:59 PM  |  reply

Oh how I love Anne of Green Gables! And don’t I know middle school girls, since I have one for a daughter.

15. posted on Aug 04, 2010 at 1:40 PM  |  reply

Just saw this but I’m praying now. You’ll be awesome. *Hugs*

16. Sandy Vincent
    posted on Aug 05, 2010 at 3:20 AM  |  reply

Just be sure to wear your dress with the puffed sleeves!

17. Jeanna
    posted on Aug 05, 2010 at 6:44 PM  |  reply

My youth pastor used to say, “If the Devil can’t make you bad, he’ll make you busy.” I think it’s one of his most powerful weapons, especially for Americans.