Ugly feet.

on August 19, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 9 comments by

I had a long list of MUST DOs the week before I left for Lake Geneva Youth Camp, including:

• go to the bank [I just drive thru and say, “so, there’s still a little somethin’ somethin’ in there, yeah?” Sometimes they frown and that means, “Sorry, sister.”]
  • change the sheets on my bed
  • finish laundry
  • get a pedicure/manicure

That last one, well. Here’s why. When you are the “speaker” at a camp, people look at you. All the time. Whether you are on stage, off stage, laughing, talking, or just sitting on the back of a golf cart.

It’s not bad. It’s not weird. It’s just the way it is.

So it is important to look good. At least, I think it is. At least, I thought it was.

I wanted to look trendy and cool and Nashville and pretty and taken care of.

But I ran out of time. That week pre-camp was so ridiculously stressful that the hours were full and mani/pedi got bumped. And for all the talk I do about not wanting to be a Christian speaking punk and not wanting to care about what people think, the fact that all twenty of my nails were bare was a distraction to me.

[This is the point where the author (me) is reminding the reader (you) that the main character (me) is flawed.]

So I went to camp with ugly feet.

And God took many an opportunity to remind me that it did not matter one little smidge.

Like, not at all.

Not one camper noticed my toes. Or if they did, they were kind enough not to mention it.

You know why it didn’t matter?

Because the speaker doesn’t matter.

The speaker’s toes don’t matter.

The only thing that matters, in those moments that really matter, when that middle school girl has fully tuned her ears and the Holy Spirit is pounding in her heart, and she knows deep in her knower that God is telling a story with her life- God is all that matters.

God is always all that matters.

When Annie the Speaker forgets, heck, when Annie the Girl forgets that God is all that matters, chaos ensues. [And pride. And issues. And all manner of sinful things.]

So I’m leaving my toenails bare for a while as a reminder of how little other stuff matters. Whether you are an awesome speaker or an awful speaker, a patient mom or a struggling mom, a college student or a college professor, the truth is still the same.

God is all that matters.

1. Jane
    posted on Aug 19, 2010 at 6:04 AM  |  reply

I needed this TODAY! Thank you….my sweet high school faces are smiling back at me and I need to be reminded that this math teaching that I am trying to do is ALL ABOUT HIM. Thank you sweet Annie….pray for me in this new school year! My love to you…..Jane

2. posted on Aug 19, 2010 at 9:24 AM  |  reply

As a speaker … I thought this was brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

3. posted on Aug 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM  |  reply

i really really miss you.

and i miss your feet too. 😉

4. posted on Aug 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM  |  reply

Thank for the reminder!

5. posted on Aug 20, 2010 at 12:42 PM  |  reply

yes. Annie, I feel like i deal with the exact same thing. I’ve never been a speaker anywhere (haha) but one year i got a pedicure right before i worked at camp because I wanted to look polished and taken care of. the first day of campers arriving, one of my friends gave me a big hug but ran into my toe and my toenail chipped. and I realized that it didn’t matter. if I had to have perfectly painted toenails to be effective in ministry, something was wrong.

but you wrote it so much more eloquently than I ever could. thanks for the reminder. 🙂

6. posted on Aug 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM  |  reply

thanks Annie 🙂

7. Kameron
    posted on Aug 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM  |  reply

Oh Annie,
    Thank you.

(and I am awestruck at the world we live in where I feel like I know so much about you and you don’t know who I am but yet you were used by God to speak to me today.)

8. posted on Aug 31, 2010 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

Such a good post! I love the way you write! 🙂 I often get caught up in thinking that the small things matter. I think it is too easy to do in this crazy world filled with a lot of meaningless standards. What a great reminder that God is all that matters. Thanks!

9. posted on Sep 08, 2010 at 11:33 AM  |  reply