Seen it. Read it. Heard it.

on September 6, 2010 in I heart books., video blogs with 17 comments by

I said, “I challenge you, traditional media, to impress me!”

And traditional media [or quasi-traditional media] answered with a vengeance. I have recently enjoyed a few great movies, a few great albums, and a plethora of great books.

I’m talking books as far as the eye can see. [That’s a blatant exaggeration.]

Let’s start with movies.

I want to see Nanny McPhee. I even looked on my ONDEMAND last weekend and couldn’t find it. So I’m gonna rent it. I’ll let you know. But my all time favorite movie is Mary Poppins and I am a nanny, so I’m bound to adore it.

I saw Eat.Pray.Love. Julia Roberts was, as to be expected, absolutely darling. I read the book and the book was exciting in the same spots and boring in the same spots and new age in the same spots.

I also saw The Other Guys. Will Ferrell, you slay me.

Here’s some stuff I’m reading.

First, you must get Permission to Speak Freely by Anne Jackson. It’s beautiful. It’s easy to pick up and put down and pick up and think and dream. I think you’ll like it.

My latest addiction: The Hunger Games. Oh listen. If you haven’t started this series, carve out some time and get ready. I couldn’t stop reading. NOT AT ALL. It’s some of the best writing I’ve read in a long time. There are a handful of us living here in Nashville that are reading them and truthfully, we can’t talk about anything else.

The first book- The Hunger Games [Genius. Pure genius.] The second book- Catching Fire [My favorite of the series.] The third book – Mockingjay [This one literally come out a weekish ago and I read it in light speed. And I cried.]

I also am finishing up Resurrection in May. I’m crying a lot in this one too. Africa. A sweet grandfather. A farm. Flowers. Just awesome.

Here’s what I’m hearing.

For the first time, I saw She & Him perform last week at the Ryman. And listen, it was the most fun I’ve had in a while. Buy the album. Turn it up in your house. Open the windows. Then dance. And call me in the morning.

Also, a new band called Mockingbird Sun is offering their EP for FREE. That’s zero dollars. Get it, yo. Get it.

So. That should last you a while.

Share and share alike, my friends. What have you seen/read/heard?

1. posted on Sep 06, 2010 at 6:57 AM  |  reply

Annie,

Loved Eat, Pray Love and She and Him

My book recommendation at the moment is Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist.

2. posted on Sep 06, 2010 at 7:57 AM  |  reply

I’m still trying to get through East of Eden. It’s great, just like you said, but it’s not easy to get through.

Love the Hunger Games. I have Catching Fire sitting on my bookshelf, taunting me and pushing me to get through East of Eden, knowing it will be next.

What I’m watching? Too much television!

3. posted on Sep 06, 2010 at 8:36 AM  |  reply

I *heart* “The Hunger Games”! I hope to start “Catching Fire” today because I can’t stop thinking about what will happen next.

4. Carrie
    posted on Sep 06, 2010 at 9:18 AM  |  reply

HUNGER GAMES! I stayed up super late last night reading the third book. I borrowed it from a student of mine because he finished it and I hadn’t been ablet to get to the bookstore to get it. I gasped a lot… and I too cried. Now I need to digest what I read….

5. Merideth
    posted on Sep 06, 2010 at 9:30 AM  |  reply

I can’t keep up with your suggestions Annie! I remember you giving a list of these kinds of suggestions before(can’t remember when, though) and I don’t remember anymore what was on that list, and here you give another list.
    I heard about permission to speak freely from another friend of mine(also now lives in Nashville), and need to try to get it. It sounds really good.
    Like someone above, I’ve been watching way too much television,and I won’t share what those guilty pleasures are on here. Reading, though…I am really stuck on John eldridge’s books, and I’m reading his most recent one called love and war. It is actually on marriage, but it applies to all relationships. And there are a ton of books I’ve recently had recommended to me that I have not checked out yet, but want to. Ruthless trust by Brennen Manning, radical, and I heard about one that sounds funny called God and football: Faith and finaticism in the SEC. Not sure what to expect with it, but the title just sounds too funny to pass up.

6. posted on Sep 06, 2010 at 12:21 PM  |  reply

So happy to hear you enjoyed the Hunger Games! I was so pleased with the conclusion to the trilogy they are now among my favorite books ever. 😉 And I’m still reading all the very differing commentary on Mockingjay I can find.

7. posted on Sep 06, 2010 at 2:03 PM  |  reply

I’m a huge Hunger Games trilogy fan! I resisted reading the first one for awhile because it didn’t sound like anything I’d be interested in. Oh how wrong I was!

Right now I’m reading Singled Out (Colon/Fields) and Evolving in Monkeytown (Evans), along with some fluffy fiction.

I thought She & Him put on a phenomenal show! I want to borrow Zooey’s dress- she’s too cute. I’ve been listening to a combination of Audrey Assad, Josh Ritter, and Madi Diaz this past week. Plus a healthy dose of The Civil Wars.

8. posted on Sep 06, 2010 at 8:21 PM  |  reply

I am so glad my book contains some of the best writing ever. Oh wait. That’s the Hunger thing. NEVERMIND! PSHHH. 🙂 🙂

xx

9. posted on Sep 06, 2010 at 10:38 PM  |  reply

OHMYWORD.
    Hunger Games.
    SO AMAZING.
    I’m sorry I’m typing in all caps, but I LOVE THE WHOLE SERIES.
    Read them all multiple times- cried in Mockingjay. Amazing. Everyone on earth needs to read them!

10. Sarah
    posted on Sep 07, 2010 at 12:59 AM  |  reply

Seen- Finally watching 30 rock on dvd and let me just say. Hilarious!

Read- Through Jewish Eyes- the story of Christianity through Jewish customs, i.e. marriage, Passover, etc. Such a good read, I would highly recommend it.

Heard- well, technically I haven’t heard it yet but I have heard enough to know that Andrew Ripp’s cd, She Remains the Same, coming out on Sept 21st is going to be A-MA-ZING. Can’t get enough of his stuff.

11. posted on Sep 07, 2010 at 7:13 AM  |  reply

love me some anne jackson.
    eat pray love. and she and him.

which means…..your taste must be impeccable and I’ll have to check out the Hunger Games.

12. posted on Sep 07, 2010 at 1:23 PM  |  reply

I think I read each of the Hunger Games books in under 14 hours. Mockingjay was sad but satisfying. Started and finished in the same night. Highly addictive.

13. posted on Sep 07, 2010 at 2:03 PM  |  reply

Watching: The Expendables with the hubby. An explosive, manly joyride.
    Reading: The Blind Side. SO good.
    Hearing: Metal and Wood by Tyrone Wells, inspired by seeing him live for the FOURTH time. Fandom, hello.

14. Amy
    posted on Sep 07, 2010 at 5:03 PM  |  reply

I am listening to Brendan James. I have been listening to his first CD daily for right at 2 years now (The Sun Will Rise is my favorite song on earth. ever.). His second CD came out today and I have listened to it all day and am loving it just as much (The Fall is my early favorite on this one). I saw him live a few months ago @ Workplay here in Birmingham and he was fabulous – even my teenage daughter loved him.

15. posted on Sep 07, 2010 at 9:20 PM  |  reply

LOVED Eat Pray Love (the book) then went to see the movie and was thoroughly impressed with how they handled her memoir. Inaccurate/Hollywooded movies from books are such a pet-peeve of mind. For instance, Julie & Julia? Not so much like the book. BUT, EPL was so close I would recognize characters before a word was uttered from their mouths.
    I liked that one.

Now reading? Animal Vegetable Miracle (kingsolver) – I’m a sucker for memoirs, I tell ya.

And listening to? My man is sick – coughing in the other room – and the neighbor’s puppy/monster is howling outside. Gonna be a long night.

16. posted on Sep 08, 2010 at 9:43 PM  |  reply

love this list! I need to check out these Hunger Game books, for sure!
    And I loved Permission to Speak Freely, too….read it in 2 days….so good!!

Hope you’re doing well, friend!!

17. posted on Sep 20, 2010 at 12:08 AM  |  reply

ahhhhhhhh the hunger games. please discuss the movie, because I’m not sure how that’s gonna work out. i’m nervous and excited all at the same time. and I read them fast too. like the whole series in four and a half days, the first book in 10 hours kind of fast. ahhhh to be young and unemployed and living with 3 other girls who have collections of books.