Hashtags have taken over.

on September 15, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 34 comments by

If you are on twitter, you probably already know about hashtags.

Let me define “hashtag” for you. On twitter, if you want to add your tweet to a search category, you would add a # sign in front of the search word. For example,

@incourage

See? So if you wanted to see what people are saying about #incourage, you would click on that. So it is a very handy tool.

Until silly people get involved. Because then hashtags stop being about searching for what people are talking about and start being about humor.

Which makes me very happy.

Examples? Certainly.

@lauradenning

@coreyboyd

Uh. This one's mine. πŸ™‚

@rushbomb

@matt_lehman

@marisavh

And personally, I think that hilarious hashtags are taking over the world and I LOVE IT. Somehow, hashtags are also making their way into our vernacular in Nashville.

Often we will say things like,

“How about Chick-fil-A? Hashtag I’m starving” or

“I saw Brad sitting on the porch today. Hashtag stalker stuff.”

And even last night, my text conversation with my friend Amber–

me: I’m glad you have chocolate. I need chocolate. #wowtoday

Amber: #thatswhatfriendsarefor

Is this happening anywhere else? Is Twitter talk invading your real life? As long as you can speak this language, I can tell you all about my week so far.

Mocha Club #newadventureswearmeout

If this works, I’ll be a happy lady. #topsecretbookstuff

Moving to the house next door better be worth it. #tiredalready

Come on fall! #Imissfleece

My dad is the best. #birthdayweek

So…. now it is YOUR turn! Wanna play? Tell me something about your week using a hashtag. Mainly because I need some humor in my life and I’m hoping you can provide it. Also, I have a special prize [seriously] for one commenter. It’ll either be for the best use of a hashtag or I may just draw a random one. I dunno yet. But. I do know that someone is getting a prize that I’m writing about tomorrow and I’m seriously about to jump out of my skin to tell you about it. [Also, feel free to leave your twitter handle in the comments so everyone can follow your awesome.]

#bringit

1. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 5:02 AM  |  reply

My best friend and i often say the same random thing at the same time or finish each others sentences. We have started using the hashtag #getoutofmyhead on twitter if we know we are tweeting something the other 1 is prob already thinking! Our twitter names are courtwiggins and ncjoy. We love hashtags!

2. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 5:08 AM  |  reply

I don’t use twitter (and you may thank me for this in advance) since today I’d tweet..

colonoscopy today.#mybumhurts#tmi

3. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 6:14 AM  |  reply

I don’t know the first thing about twitter. Thank you for illuminating me! So, I guess mine for today would be

Trying to teach a third grader to spell. #sumoneplesehalpmi

#topsecretbookstuff??? I’m getting excited.

4. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 6:29 AM  |  reply

I miss you.

#pleaseexcludemefromanypotentialprizes

πŸ™‚

5. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 7:27 AM  |  reply

This happened this a.m.

me: does it look like I’ve lost weight? 13 yo son: Umm…(quickly changes subject) #hisfuturewifewillthankme

6. Melissa
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 7:50 AM  |  reply

Thanks for the hashtag tutorial! I had no clue!

#watchoutiknowwhathashtagsare

πŸ™‚

7. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:28 AM  |  reply

Most of my friends are not on twitter, so they don’t really get the whole hashtag thing, but I too find endless enjoyment in some people’s tags. #maybeIneedmoreofalife

@krispt

8. Kathleen
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM  |  reply

oh annie the technology is passing me by. #iamjusttoooldforthetwitter.

9. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:47 AM  |  reply

This one really happened the other day:

Camille, please do not taste the dog. #thingsineverthoughtidsayuntilibecameamom

And ditto Sophie. I miss you. Come to the Ham and let’s eat cupcakes.

10. Shana
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:48 AM  |  reply

I adore the hastag. I adore your blog. I’ve tried to explain this very thing to people not on twitter because hastags are now invading all my social media #allIgetisblankstares

We have been in school for a month and I keep forgetting to send in my PTA dues. #epicmomfail or #subconsciouschoice #youbethejudge

11. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:51 AM  |  reply

I love me some funny hashtags. @thegypsymama has some of the funniest I’ve read. πŸ™‚

My tire light (on my car) came on as I was driving 70 down the highway this morning. #flashingtirelightsscarethemessoutofme

#justletmemakeittoworkjustletmemakeittowork

And I’m with Southern Gal! #topsecretbookstuff is INTRIGUING! πŸ˜€

@reb2911

12. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:53 AM  |  reply

You make me miss living in Nashville. #greatplacetolive

13. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

What does it say when my bff already beat me to it? #getoutofmyhead Courtney! πŸ™‚ I am soooo glad you explained hashtags, we have spent much time on the phone trying to make sense of them. #learnsomethingneweveryday I am ncjoy on twitter (your Drop Dead Diva friend, have you watched the finale yet??)

14. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM  |  reply

The comments are cracking me up!

I am using them in DM’s and on Facebook (where people are like “HUH?”) but I am TOTES going to start using them in skype (grr on skype) and in person.

#makingupwordsistotesmadeofwin

15. Leslie Ruth
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 9:42 AM  |  reply

Stopped this morning for a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte & a pumpkin cream cheese muffin. #lateforworkandworthit

16. Sally
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 9:56 AM  |  reply

My tweet this morning BEFORE reading your blog…Nothing better than sitting by an open window, drinking a cup of coffee, listening to jazz, and learning about estate tax. #Accountingnerd.

Love,
    Your Youngest Sister #igotmysenseofhumorfromyousoishouldnotwin

17. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:00 AM  |  reply

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Arianne Segerman, Annie Downs. Annie Downs said: Ye old blog is getting some funny comments today. #wellplayedmyfriends http://tinyurl.com/2ec6rkd […]

18. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

i think my favorite is still #hashbrowns — spoken out loud of course — “hashtag hashbrowns” (thank you dollywood trip oh-ten)

19. Travis
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

I went on a date last night

#aintnothingbutagthang

That’s not actually true I just thought it was funny.

#alieisadreamyourheartmakes

#waitwhat

@travisbatista

20. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 11:52 AM  |  reply

I was always curious about those, and now I know. Thanks for the tutorial! #whatshenowknowscanthurther

@llassa

21. Amy Carpenter
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM  |  reply

mmhmm, i’ll be seeing those shrimp again soon…

#dininghallfoodfail

miss you annie!

22. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM  |  reply

These comments are fantastic! I can’t wait to hear about the #topsecretbookstuff!

I’m 16 1/2 weeks pregnant. #passthecookiesandchocolateandasideoffries

@mrsmount

23. sonnie
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 1:32 PM  |  reply

Hmmmmm…summing up my day so far.

I took Rock to story time at the Downtown library today. I thought this would be fun for both of us. I was wrong.

#mysonthrowstantrumsinpublicnow

Bless his heart πŸ™‚

24. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:20 PM  |  reply

i love this post. my friends and i started using “#hashtag[fillintheblankhere]” in real-life conversations a few months ago. i love it.

i think i’m most proud of this one:

homemade yellow squash & zucchini risotto. #iliketocook #subliminalmessagetoallthesingledudes http://twitpic.com/2jtckr

(@hfrees)

25. Julie
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:01 PM  |  reply

I’ve missed your blog lately. Surprised by the move and looking forward to the #topsecretbookstuff.

John just asked if he could make popcorn. #yesbecauseyouhaveopposiblethumbs

26. Ashley Welling
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM  |  reply

Annie,

I LOVE reading your blog. I wanted to qualify the following…Tate Welling is my husband!

I came home yesterday to my husband on his 5th episode of Hannah Montana season 1. #whereamiandwhodidimarry

27. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:57 PM  |  reply

Came home to find rat poop on my doorstep. #EWEWEWEWEW #willbesittingonthetableuntilhubbygetshome

28. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM  |  reply

#imissyoutoo

#annieshouldcometobirmingham

And my hashtag for the week?

#thingsmykidscandowithpackingtape

The answer? use it to tape stuff to their heads.
    My life is exciting.

29. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:40 PM  |  reply

You are totally speaking my twitter love language!! There ain’t nothing like a good ol’ hashtag-off πŸ™‚ LOVE me some #hashtaggery

~Lisa-Jo

30. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM  |  reply

PS: #IFeelFamousThatMyInCourageTweetMadeItIntoYourLineUp

31. posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM  |  reply

VB games tonite, great fun! #ilovethissportbutboydoihurt! #imaynotbeabletowalkinthemorning #icepackhereicome @CreatedbyCole

I’ve got the bruises to prove it. πŸ˜‰ Have a great rest of the week!
    #isitfridayyet? *tehe*

32. Tiffany acuff
    posted on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:55 PM  |  reply

Wow. THANK YOU for the enlightenment. I have been adding the # sign sporadicly to every other tweet for a few weeks now. I thought maybe it was a way to link websites… But I knew I didn’t have any hyperlinks….
    Was gonna blame it on the Apple auotcorrect if I was ever questioned on improper use…
    #FeelLikeAFake