Book talk.

on October 15, 2010 in Westbow Press with 31 comments by

I just can’t even tell you how much I love talking about Westbow Press and this book. It’s not a pride thing [I hope!] but instead, I hope this is a fun story for you to hear. And maybe, just maybe, there is this “thing” that you’ve always wanted to do; and I hope you see that if I can do this and I’m kind of a dork, then you can totally do your “thing”.

Do yo thing.

First- let me answer some questions from the last time we talked book.

This isn’t dumb, Face. Great question. The difference is this [I think]: with traditional publishing, you get chosen by them, you get an advance [$$], and you work with the publishing house’s editor, graphic designer, marketing team, and all sorts of other cool perks from professionals who make books all the livelong day. And then you get paid a percent of the profit from book sales.

With self-publishing [and you can read more on Westbow’s website]: you pay up front to have the book made and based on what package you pick determines how many of the company’s hands are on deck. [As for me, I have my own professional editor and graphic designer, so I didn’t pay for that.] And then in the end, you get a little bit bigger percent of the profit from book sales.

Both ways are super awesome. Traditional publishing is cool and trustworthy and tried and true. Self-publishing is cool and new and a wee bit indie. Maybe a bit hipster? I hope so. It’s my new goal in life.

[There are a few other differences- if you are deciding which route to take, read up on both. Seriously.]

First of all, super cute pic, Dani. Secondly, thanks for your kind words. My marketing plan? Well, I’m gonna get right on that as soon as we turn the book in this week. I’m kinda surrounded by genius marketers, so I plan to abuse, I mean USE, their knowledge.

I would definitely suggest getting an agent. They are way way smart, have great connections, and know how to speak the publishing language. In fact, I’m probably going to look into an agent in the near future for some other projects I’m working on.

Tam, I love that we share Lindsey as a mutual friend. She’s dear to me. And I love that you have already talked to the folks at Westbow. They are rad. I couldn’t be happier with how things have gone so far. Truly.

A good editor is a MUST MUST MUST. You can borrow mine, but you can’t have her. πŸ™‚ Email me and I’ll connect you with her. Same with my designer. Her name is Emily and she is the epitome of an artist.

And here is one of the finest pieces of art I have ever seen.

The cover art for my first ever book. MY cover. The cover of MY BOOK. [I’m dying a little just writing that.]

I’ll be honest. I totally teared up when I saw this the first time. I think it is perfectly lovely. The goal for this book is that it fit comfortably between a teen girl’s Bible and journal. I wanted it to be beautiful but subtle. And Emily NAILED IT. Totally nailed it.

Tell me what YOU think! I did not-one-thing to make this cover, so I take no pride in it except that I am proud of my graphic designer pickin’ skillz. But I’d love to hear your thoughts.

We’ll turn the book in this week and then I’ll have more updates for you. Again, as always, if you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask and I will answer. Or I’ll find the answer.

Also, who out there is writing a book? Or wants to? Or is thinking about it a little bit but is scared to say so? Tell us about YOUR journey.

And remember my tip for today :: Do. yo. thing.

I love y’all. Thanks for walking this road with me.

Amen.

1. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 4:45 AM  |  reply

Love, love, love the cover!

I got chill bumps the size of skeeter bites reading this post! That’s how much your excitement comes through! πŸ™‚

An editor from a traditional publisher has my proposal as we speak. Others have had it before and shredded it after politely sending me a form letter pretty much saying, “Thanks for all your hard work, but I lined my bird cage with your proposal.”

But I don’t think that will happen this time. This editor and I clicked like a seatbelt. If she doesn’t like the proposal she has, I do believe she will tell me what she wants so I can give it to her.

So…we’ll see what happens! In the meantime, I’m just working away on my prayergifts, which is the topic of my book and the topic of my blog every Monday.

So excited for you, and I will, for sure, purchase some copies of your book for some teenaged girlies in my life! Love, LeeBird

2. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:30 AM  |  reply

Love that cover art! I’m so excited for you, Annie. Praying everything goes smoothly for the rest of the process and that you sell many, many books.

3. Face
    posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:22 AM  |  reply

Yes. REALLY love the cover. I would totally pick it up and read the back if I saw it in a bookstore. I’m not just saying that. Congrats congrats congrats.

4. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:33 AM  |  reply

Annie…that is SO awesome. I love your cover! Well, you know your book’s cover. (Not that I don’t love YOUR cover, but that’s another post and another comment.) And check out your name on there! The whole thing is awesome. Love you!

5. Lyz
    posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 8:01 AM  |  reply

Annie, I’m so excited for you and this new venture in your life!! And that cover is just gorgeous.

6. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

Mine is almost finished and being “reviewed” by someone right now. Eek.

Love your cover!

7. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:06 AM  |  reply

love it. Can’t stand the excitement. Yay, Annie!!!!!!!

8. Barbalicious
    posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:10 AM  |  reply

I loooooovvvveeee the cover. Way to go Anya!!!

9. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:30 AM  |  reply

I love how excited you are about all of this Annie. It’s awesome to see this come together for you.
    I have a friend that is trying to write a book, and wants to be a writer. Could I get you and her connected? I think it’d be really helpful for her to talk to someone going through this process, and I’ve told her about you before. Please let me know if it’d be OK to give her your email address, or somehow connect you guys. Thanks!

10. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM  |  reply

Love your advice for the day!

Love the cover.

Love. You!

11. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM  |  reply

You are cute. Your book is gonna be rad. That’s all…

12. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

ANNIE!!! I’m flippin’ cartwheels for you right now! This…is…EXCITING! One step closer in having your book in print…in HAND! Congrat-chew-la-she-owns!! πŸ˜€

Good gracious I’m abusing the exclamation point in this comment…! But daggum it, if your first published work isn’t cause for excessive exclamation, I don’t know what is!

Your artist DID nail the essence of your book and isn’t that what good cover art does? It’ll communicate what’s inside without a word.

One of your very un-dorklike qualities is surrounding yourself with smart people who can support you through this process. In fact, I think you’re brilliant.

I’m with Anne…love the cover and I love YOU!

xo

13. Abe
    posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

Yay!

14. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 10:18 AM  |  reply

I’ve been waiting for this since Sheera (2006). I want to cry thinking about it. If I wasn’t a non-crying robot, I would.

I love you.

15. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM  |  reply

From one Westbow author to another, congratulations! When does it come out? My book, Creative Cooking for Simple Elegance is coming out next week! So excited.
    God bless you on your journey.
    Angie

16. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 10:33 AM  |  reply

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Robin Dance, Thomas Nelson, Inc. and Annie Downs, Lindsey Nobles. Lindsey Nobles said: RT @annieblogs: Answering your questions about @westbowpress and…. the cover art of my book! squeeeal! http://tinyurl.com/26mrzjb […]

17. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

i am definitely a person who judges books by their covers, and I would buy that book. straight up buy it. then I would give it to my teenage girl friends!

I would like to write a book. some of my friends have told me that i should, but i don’t know if being able to ramble a lot and have semi-good ideas constitutes as an ability to write a book. i tried once but just stared at the open document and was like “yeah I don’t know what to do.” πŸ™‚ any advice??

18. Laura
    posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 10:56 AM  |  reply

I LOVE THIS. I will camp out to buy your book the moment it comes out πŸ™‚ The cover is perfect!!

19. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 11:20 AM  |  reply

I’m so happy for you. And so is Seth πŸ˜‰

20. Kristi Kay
    posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM  |  reply

The cover is rad and so are you. I love that you thought about it fitting between a teen girl’s Bible and journal. I could totally see myself toting this around a Fall Retreat back in the day πŸ™‚

21. kristen lila
    posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 2:34 PM  |  reply

HEY!

Just wanted to say it is sooo encouraging to read your posts! Ive been writing for sometime and absolutely have had such a desire to have my writing published. Ive been wanting to publish a couple things for a while…. BTW- YOU ARE NOT A DORK! I sooo appreciate you being willing to share your experiences. It is motivating and I am encouraged. Would be interested in talking with you more about how you got “started” with everything and what your suggestions would be. Thanks for doing what you do! πŸ™‚
    -K

22. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 2:59 PM  |  reply

First of all, that cover is AH. MAZE. ING. I’d buy the book just because of the cover and then I’m sure after reading it I’d want to open my own bookstore just so I could sell it! I can’t tell you how excited I am about this, and I don’t even know you!

I’m feeling more and more strongly about wanting writing to be more than just a hobby for me. My friend just went through a situation where she was told she had cancer and then a month later went back to the doctor and couldn’t find anything. Can we say miracle? I think so. She said she wants to write a book about it and all I could think when she said that was, “LET ME HELP!”

Anyway, so excited for you!

23. Ali
    posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM  |  reply

oh i’m so excited for you!! the cover is absolutely perfect…the colors are so nice and serene, and the font and image are fun and trendy! copies will be flying off the shelves πŸ˜‰

i can’t wait to hear more about the publishing process. you are so wonderful and talented, thanks so much for sharing your life with us

24. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM  |  reply

I LOVE the cover! If I saw it at a bookstore, it would make me curious about what it’s about.

I’m writing a book in the sense that I wrote a chapter back in the spring and haven’t picked it up since. I think I’m a little scared because I’m so excited about my ideas that I’ll be crushed if I don’t have it in me. Trying to get motivated to pick it back up and see it through…

25. posted on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:04 PM  |  reply

I LOVE it!! Can’t wait to read it too πŸ™‚ Soooo happy for you!
    curious though, what’s the F stand for?

26. posted on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:10 AM  |  reply

I’m very excited for you! Can’t wait to read your book!

27. posted on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM  |  reply

I LOVE the cover! Amazing. I’m so excited for you!! πŸ™‚

28. Julianne
    posted on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:37 PM  |  reply

love love love the book cover!! Excited for you!

29. posted on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:09 PM  |  reply

go annie go! love the cover, and i can’t wait to read it!

30. tam
    posted on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:04 PM  |  reply

book cover = FABULOUS!

love. it.

i will definitely be bugging you about your editor πŸ˜‰

31. Joanna
    posted on Jan 08, 2011 at 6:08 PM  |  reply

I am interested in writing a short book for the pre-school, early elementary age.
    Would you recommend Westbow?