The greatest concert I’ve ever seen.

on November 4, 2010 in Sounds good to me. with 20 comments by

It’s been three days and I still don’t know how to write this blog post.

Let’s just start. Okay? Okay.

I love going to concerts. But here’s something you probably don’t know about shows in Nashville- the crowd is snobby. Because, you know, 3/4 of the audience is in “the biz.” The crowd crosses their arms or stands still or nods their heads. But the crowd doesn’t lose their collective mind.

Until Monday.

When this happened. [Please watch. Please please watch. And no- you can not find me in the crowd, though I’m standing towards the front. Trust me, I tried.]

[PS- I didn’t record this. Krazlilangl, whom I do not know, did. So that is not me screaming. Sounds like a crazy little angel.] [PPS- this is the final encore. Hence the reason that every band on this roster is on the stage.]

And let me tell you, I had a blast. And I have never (no not ever) seen a Nashville crowd love a show like this crowd loved this show, from start to finish.

This band isΒ Mumford & Sons and their folk music destroyed Nashville that night, in all the right ways.

While I highly recommend their music, let me go ahead and warn you that one of the songs has the F-word in it a lot.

And it has been on my mind constantly. [Not the F-word. Sheesh.] The idea of whether or not I can blog about a band that says cuss words in one of their songs. And here is what I decided- you are old enough that you know how to read [I know this because you read my blog]. So you are old enough to make choices. And I’m telling you it is a bad choice to use the F-word or listen to songs with the F-word. But you can listen to the rest of the album.

[Phew. That may be the most controversial thing I’ve written in a while. I am, if nothing else, polarizing with my opinions. πŸ™‚]

I have to tell you about this band. Not because they have the greatest album ever. [But it is really good.] But I have to tell you about Mumford & Sons because I watched one of their dreams come true.

They had never played Nashville before and apparently rumors of our snobby show behavior proceeded us. But once the show started and the crowd totally embraced them in a way I’ve never seen us do, they were in hog heaven. And they were having more fun than we were.

And I thought about my writing friends. And I thought about my musician friends. And I thought about the first day that they became brave enough to do their art in public.

And I thought about the day, probably hundreds of days later, that your art makes people lose their minds. And how that has to be the happiest moment in your artistic career.

I loved being there with Sarah, Clare, Marisa, Lauren, and Lyndsay. Something beautiful happens when friends live those times together.

And it was the greatest concert I’ve ever seen because it was music and art and dreams coming true and inspiring and I am still in awe of the entire thing.

Check out Mumford & Sons …. just avoid the song Little Lion Man. πŸ™‚

1. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 4:47 AM  |  reply

I LOVE them!! And am so jealous that you got to see them all the way over there when they are from all the way over here!
    please don’t go avoiding Little Lion Man completely – find the radio edit – it’s such a good song!

2. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 4:50 AM  |  reply

ps. favourite song is Awake My Soul – absolute tune!

3. Erin
    posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 6:28 AM  |  reply

Ha – but Little Lion Man is good! So jealous you saw this show, they sold out when they came to DC verrrry fast.

4. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 7:11 AM  |  reply

i found out about them a few short weeks ago and haven’t been able to stop listening! i agree with rach – awake my soul is simply incredible. for me, they’ve been a band whose music moves something deep inside of me. i’m so excited to be hearing about them everywhere i turn!

5. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 8:28 AM  |  reply

I knew nothing of them until Beth put one of their songs (Timshel) in the video she did about our Ethiopia trip. And now I’m addicted. In the best way possible. Scouring the interwebs for tickets to see them (since we missed even trying to get tickets) has proven fruitless. And there’s something so special about seeing the first tour of a band that you know is going to make it big. Thank you SO much for sharing! Also, I’m sure my boss would like a word with you, since I’ve spent the last 30 minutes watching videos of Mumford and Sons concerts.

6. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

You make me laugh. I finished your library book. Loved it. Should I return it to you or the library.

7. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 8:57 AM  |  reply

the show was magical. it was the best crowd i’ve ever been in. you could feel the love and energy just radiating from the audience toward the guys. it was incredible! i don’t know what came over nashville but it was AMAZING.

8. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 9:44 AM  |  reply

agreed. and amen.

9. Katie
    posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 9:51 AM  |  reply

I saw Mumford and Sons in Chicago on Halloween and I cried throughout most of the show. So so beautiful. Their performance was above and beyond anything I could have hoped for. And it sounds like Nashville exceeded that. I read all of your posts and often feel compelled to comment but today I really had to say thankyou for validating a truly amazing band.

10. Kristi Kay
    posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 1:08 PM  |  reply

You are living in such a fun city at such a fun time in your life. I am pushing down the envy πŸ™‚ and just feeling SO happy for you.

11. Marc
    posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 2:22 PM  |  reply

Amazing show.

I put together a playlist of the show using the videos I found on youtube.

12. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 3:41 PM  |  reply

I just loaded a new music player and playlist to the blog. The Mumford tune I included is The Cave. Great minds ….

Looking forward to catching them on their next trip through the ATL.

13. Laurissa
    posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 4:02 PM  |  reply

Its funny…my friend just told me about this band this morning. I listened to their album all morning on grooveshark and when I checked your blog I had to laugh. I am a new fan- a huge fan. Love. Even the Little Lion Man song.

14. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 5:27 PM  |  reply

oh I’m so jealous! I absolutely love them.

15. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 9:48 PM  |  reply

I am a HUGE Mumford and Sons fan and was bummed their show sold out so fast. Glad you could be there though! The video is pure joy.

16. posted on Nov 04, 2010 at 10:49 PM  |  reply

AWAKE MY SOUL. When I decided to move to SoCal, I spent the last hour of my drive debating on what song I wanted to be playing as I pulled up to our new apartment, and it was Awake My Soul.

My littlest pseudosister cannot talk about Mumford and Sons without pointing out the F word. I decided she would have liked your post πŸ™‚ Except if I sent it to her, her newly-braced 13-year-old self would be like “kewl bye” haha

17. Carrie T
    posted on Nov 05, 2010 at 9:22 AM  |  reply

I am so glad you told me the whole CD was not laced with the words of the one song that is getting lots of radio/VH1 play time. I am going to have to check them out now.

18. posted on Nov 05, 2010 at 10:59 AM  |  reply

hahahaha! I love your disclaimer, but I also love the song “Little Lion Man” so I am torn! πŸ˜‰ Therefore I will risk MY reputation and say LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE ALBUM BECAUSE YOU WILL LOVE IT πŸ™‚

19. posted on Nov 05, 2010 at 3:31 PM  |  reply

Oh my goodness! Just saw the book covers. They look a-mazing! I can’t wait until it comes out! Where can I pick up a copy when it does? πŸ˜€

20. posted on Nov 07, 2010 at 2:01 PM  |  reply

That video made me cry. So beautiful.