Help Portrait 2010

on December 1, 2010 in Help Portrait with 9 comments by

I love Help-Portrait.

Help Portrait is a global movement [literally- over 50 countries!] of photographers using their time, gear, and expertise to give back to those in need.

It’s so awesome.

It is the one day a year when photographers who sign up gather with other photographers in their city and take free portraits for families in need- who either could otherwise not afford it or need it (sick kids, Nashville floods, etc.) and then give them the photos.

[Run on sentences are all the rage.]

I wrote about it on my blog last year- when I was introducing you to Help-Portrait and when I was interviewed in Chicago. I also wrote an (in)courage post called Smile.

This year, Help-Portrait has come up quickly. In case I haven’t given you enough WHINE with the cheese, I’ve had a super busy season, so Help-Portrait [which is THIS SATURDAY!] snuck up on me.

[Hence the reason I’m linking to lots of posts I wrote… you know… in 2009.]

Except for this. Scott Kelby is a huge deal photographer and I got to guest post on his blog today.

[Whoa. Weird. Did anyone tell him I’m not a photographer? Don’t do it. Let’s just let that fact slide under the radar. Please?]

I fly to Seattle tonight. And y’all are gonna die when I tell you this- but I get to HOST the event live on the creativeLIVE webstream. So that means on Thursday and Friday during Jeremy’s classes and Saturday ALL DAY during Help Portrait, your lil AnnieBlogs will be playing the role of Help-Portrait’s Oprah.

Yep. I said it.

I’ll remind y’all this weekend, in case you are sitting around on Saturday and looking to watch someone you know talk to photographers around the world as they take portraits of families in need.

You know, typical Changing-The-World-On-A-Saturday kind of stuff.

Also. Please help me. I’ll give you the topic: Seattle in December.

What should I pack?

1. posted on Dec 01, 2010 at 4:05 AM  |  reply

An umbrella. And fleece.

2. posted on Dec 01, 2010 at 4:25 AM  |  reply

I’m really excited for Help Portrait too. This is the 2nd year for Help-Portrait Tel Aviv 🙂

3. posted on Dec 01, 2010 at 5:20 AM  |  reply

OH ANNIE, i wish you were going to portland as well. maybe i could meet you, then. sigh. not that you’d want to meet me, but I pretend things are mutual.

bring a nice warm fuzzy pair of socks. oh, seattle is so lovely. have you ever been?

• Annie
      posted on Dec 01, 2010 at 8:50 AM  |  reply

If I was coming to Portland, I would have you take me to the best coffee shop and I would have a soy chai and we would talk forever.

Read: I think we’re friends too. 🙂

4. posted on Dec 01, 2010 at 11:23 AM  |  reply

Have an amazing trip and pack a hat and scarf.. 🙂

5. posted on Dec 02, 2010 at 2:43 PM  |  reply

annie downs just made my day.

6. posted on Dec 03, 2010 at 8:47 PM  |  reply

I’m not sure if I’ll have wi-fi, but I already told my coordinator that we’re Skyping you if we can!

7. posted on Dec 05, 2010 at 4:07 AM  |  reply

Hello Annie, whole Help Portrait team and you were so great yesterday. I’m proud of you. I would like to participate next year for sure. I’m a young photographer based in Croatia and Serbia, we’ll organize something.

Regards!

**can you please email me Kelly’s surname or Twitter-Facebook-Website link. You was Skyping with her yesterday on creativeLIVE, thank you in advance. (and you can just edit this ** part of my comment, thanks)**

8. ali
    posted on Dec 06, 2010 at 1:21 PM  |  reply

i just wanted to tell you that you really rocked it as the help portrait “oprah”!!

i was able to watch some of the live feed this weekend (a nice distraction from my end-of-semester papers)…i cried, i laughed, it was awesome. you were awesome.

i’ll definitely be getting involved with help portrait in 2011.