Two stories about my car.

on January 17, 2011 in Nash-livin', Ze Bloggy Goodness with 14 comments by

I cleaned my car on Saturday.

First I’ll tell you about a discovery while cleaning. Then I will tell you the reason for the cleaning.

Story #1: A Discovery While Cleaning

My bestie Betsy was in town and we drove through the car wash. Deep conversation. A small bag of M&Ms. Paying a dollar extra for the undercarriage spray. You know, typical stuff.

And then we vacuumed.

[Let me tell you this nugget of history- I have driven my Toyota Camry for 8 years and 160,000 miles. That’s relevant here.] [But you know I’ve never felt the need to only tell you “relevant” things.] [Like it is not relevant that my steering wheel squeaks constantly in the winter and the air conditioner squeals loudly in the summer. But that’s funny, right? I think so.]

Anyways, back to the vacuum story.

When I pulled out the driver floor mat [aka- my floor mat, where my feet have pushed pedals for the majority of those 160,000 miles], there was a hole in it.

My right heel has worn a hole straight through it.

In the shape of India.

About the size of a half dollar.

I laughed, held it up to Betsy, and said, “Bets, check it out!” while looking at her through the little India half dollar hole.

And do you know what she called me?

Fred Flintstone.

Rude.

Story #2: Here’s Why We Had To Clean The Car.

On December 16, a bunch of ladies went out to dinner for Marisa‘s birthday. I drove four of my friends. It was a rainy night so our friend Melissa brought her rain boots. We went out to dinner, then to see Andrew Ripp in concert [He killed. He’s one of the best.], then home. Melissa rode home with her roomies and left her boots in my car.

A few days later, my roomie Laura and I are riding around discussing the fact that my car smelled to HIGH HEAVEN. The rain boots. Lordy. They smelled.

But I kept meaning to give them back to Melissa, so I left them in my car.

The smell had an ebb and flow to it- some days, specifically the warmer ones, the car stunk like whoa. On the cold days, it was practically gone. [That’s relevant.]

Friday afternoon, almost one month after the boots moved into the Camry, I finally took them out to give to Melissa.

Wanna know why I had to clean my car?

BECAUSE A CHINESE TAKE OUT CONTAINER FULL OF FOOD WAS INSIDE ONE OF THE BOOTS.

Full. Of. Chinese. Food.

For. One. Month.

I am practically gagging just telling you about it.

And why the ebb and flow of nostril abuse? Because the food kept freezing and thawing.

[Okay, seriously. I did just gag there.]

So. You can obviously see now why I had to get my car washed. And vacuumed. And why there are now two dryer sheets in my car- one in the front and one in the back. Because if some smell is going to be allowed to mature in my backseat, I’d like it to be “fresh breeze” please. Not kung-pao chicken.

I’ve also posted a note for my backseat passengers in hopes of preventing this from ever happening again.

Dear friend,

Please do not leave food in my back seat. Apparently I am slow to identify and clean it out. And leftovers stuffed in rubber boots makes me gag.

Sincerely,

Fred Flintstone

. . . . .

Sidenote: I’m headed to Scotland today. Whoa.

1. Jay LeCroy
    posted on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:08 AM  |  reply

Yabba Dabba Do!

2. posted on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM  |  reply

I’m sad to say baby bottles and/or dirty diapers have the same effect.

That’s funny. I have a hole in my mat, too. My husband calls me lead foot.

Scotland today? Yay!

3. posted on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM  |  reply

I will shamlessly out myself for my car as well since we are on that journey…
    You are not alone,my friend, I swear if this country got invaded you could bunker up in my mess on wheels… live off the fallen goldfish and bits of cheerios left as a trail by my child.

And let’s not fail to mention that half my closet is in the back..”just in case” the weather changes. Oh, and there might be some Baskin Robbins frozen to the side of the door. Nice. So Annie,have a great time!! Enjoy.Every. Minute.

4. Face
    posted on Jan 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM  |  reply

Remember what we started calling your car on the way back from the StJames 2002 retreat?
    Now you can never tell that story in conjunction with the fact that it smelled so badly.

5. Laura
    posted on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM  |  reply

Wow! That must have really stunk!! haha…at least you found it…eventually! Have fun in Scotland!

6. posted on Jan 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM  |  reply

cracking me up!

7. posted on Jan 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM  |  reply

good work cleaning out the car before you leave for Scotland! There’s no telling what it would smell like when you get back! :o) Hope Scotland is just incredible. Praying for you, my friend!!

8. posted on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM  |  reply

Oh my gosh! That is SO nasty! Gagging with you.

9. Kim
    posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 12:59 AM  |  reply

So I know we don’t know each other at all, but I’m so happy for you and your Scotland trip! Have fun!!! And do share pics of your great organizing job. I need inspiration for my new “study corner” in my room. 🙂

10. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 1:11 PM  |  reply

This post is exactly why I like, nay, ADORE you and will forever read your blogs and books and stuff-for sure, like, totally!!

11. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM  |  reply

So funny (and gross) Annie! Can’t wait to hear about Scotland!!! Yay!

12. ~VA~
    posted on Jan 19, 2011 at 8:02 AM  |  reply

That is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh, needed that today.

13. posted on Jan 19, 2011 at 8:21 PM  |  reply

Why would anyone put food in a boot?? If the dryer sheets don’t get rid of the smell, put a bowl in the car with about 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract and park it in the sun with all the windows closed. That should kill any remaining odor.

Have fun in Scotland!