I’m in the Amsterdam airport.

on January 18, 2011 in Scotland with 14 comments by

And I’m not scared. [thanks for your comments about this airport!]

Though they do have all these metal doors in the middle of the walkways. Meaning, you can be walking from gate to gate and right smack in the center of the terminal are three metal doors longways. They lead to nothing- not rooms or hallways – just the other side of the hall, that you could also get to by walking around the doors. It’s totally cool and Narnian and I am trying to be brave, I am not brave enough to walk through one of those. [Even though I can clearly see the other side because, again, they are just doors standing alone in the middle of the walkway and they lead to nowhere.]

I can’t get a good picture. A picture would help here.

I haven’t slept much.

I watched The Social Network on the plane. Boo to it winning the Golden Globe over The King’s Speech. My friends Adam and Wes are movie aficionados, so I hope they will weigh in on this one. But I mean, The Social Network was good, don’t get me wrong. But I feel like it is apples v. AMAZING oranges comparing it to The King’s Speech.

Anywho.

I’m drinking a soy chai from Starbucks here and it takes just different enough that I’m convinced American soy milk and Dutch soy milk are just not the same thing.

I am obviously not teeming with vital information for you.

But since I don’t know when I’ll blog again, I figured I’d hop on here really quick.

Thanks for your prayers and thoughts as I travel. I’ve already made a small dent in my new journal and I’m excited to keep on processing and learning and crying. [Of course I’ve cried already.]

This verse continues to come to mind, and I want it to stay on the forefront of my thoughts. If you pray for me during this month, would you pray this verse?

Jeremiah 29:13

“When you seek Me you will find Me when you seek Me with all of your heart.”

or as the Message puts it…

“When you come looking for Me, you’ll find Me. Yes, when you get serious about finding Me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed.”

Doesn’t that make your heart beat faster and kinda make you feel like dying [in the good way]?

Yeah. Me too.

1. Merideth
    posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:19 AM  |  reply

I’m having a hard time picturing the doors in the airport you were talking about. Interesting.
    I like that verse. I will definitely pray that for you! Hope you get some sleep today.

2. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:52 AM  |  reply

I don’t even know where Amsterdam is…
    But I do know that you are going to be completely overwhelmed and challenged and blessed and stretched and energised and inspired by this trip! I can’t wait to see Scotland through your eyes!

3. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:59 AM  |  reply

You go girl! I’ll be praying the Jeremiah verse for you this month and can’t wait to hear about your continuing adventure(s). Blessings!

4. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM  |  reply

You can do it! Love the journal…and love those verses…totally praying them for you!! and for myself, too…

Blessings to you, Annie! You are living out a dream God placed in your heart and He is so pleased with you!

5. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:01 AM  |  reply

Those Narnian doors sound quite exciting!

Beautiful verse…God is going to meet you greatly in this adventure!

6. grace
    posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM  |  reply

Don’t smoke pot. That’s all I got.

Yes, that *IS* the first thing I think of when I hear the word “Amsterdam”…. my bad. 🙂

7. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:33 AM  |  reply

🙂 i love Schipol – oh the people watching opportunities!! and the huge walkway things, so much fun.
    praying for you muchly – scotland eagerly awaits your arrival!!

8. Meg
    posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM  |  reply

Can’t wait to hear more from you. Safe travels!

9. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM  |  reply

My one experience with Amsterdam was when I was a sophomore in college and went on a mission trip to Kenya. We had a 6 or 7-hour layover in Amsterdam on our way back home, and so we decided to check out the city. Unforunately, it was about 7 a.m. on Easter Sunday, so the city was dead, save for a few rather, ahem, unsavory characters. And we were all starving and no food places were open. We finally found a McDonald’s that was open, but we couldn’t order breakfast, so my memory of that Easter Sunday is eating chicken McNuggets at 9 a.m. with sweet and sour sauce I had to PAY for because condiments weren’t free, nor was use of the bathroom. I don’t remember much about the airport, but I hope the toilets are free. 🙂

10. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:05 PM  |  reply

I hope you have a wonderful time, and YES! I am SO with you on the Golden Globes. I thought The Social Network was great, but not at all like The King’s Speech!! Bleh. :/

11. Emily
    posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:09 PM  |  reply

Argh, I so agree about The Social Network v. The King’s Speech. The King’s Speech was a FILM – a wonderful, gratifying, upliftying, historic FILM! The TSN was just a good movie! Anyhoo – hope you have a wonderful time!! Can’t wait to hear more!

12. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:19 PM  |  reply

So excited for you and your adventure! Stay safe and *you got it* about praying the verse. 🙂

13. posted on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM  |  reply

So, I went to text you today and realized I couldn’t BECAUSE YOU’RE IN EUROPE! I can’t wait to follow your adventure and hear all about it in living color when you come and visit when you get back 🙂

14. Wes
    posted on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM  |  reply

This is me weighing in:

I loved “The Kings Speech” as Oscar Bait. Colin Firth was incredible as were Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter (not in full black garb for the duration as she normally is) and Guy Pierce (of Memento fame).

For me, The Social Network was the best movie, and my bank account attests to it. I saw it 4 times. Before the DVD came out. Without finding a link online to steal it. I loved it.

Sorkin’s dialogue makes it unfair. His writing makes it tough to do anything but pay attention, and I like that. I got bored a couple of times in Kings Speech, and that doesn’t often happen. Firth will win Best Actor as should. Social Network will win best Pic, Adapted Screenplay, and Score.

Miss you AFD. Don’t even consider staying in Scotland. Yes, the accents are very cool. Still, they don’t have live music like we do here in old Fort Nash.