If I don’t make it, you can have my car.

on February 24, 2011 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 35 comments by

You may or may not recall this, but I have made a really bad decision.

I’ve paid real American money to compete in a half-marathon.

Thirteen miles.

Next Sunday.

Only nine days from today.

And seriously. What a dumb decision. I don’t like running. I never have. I loved playing soccer, but not because of the running part- because of the kicking the ball part.

In Scotland, I joined a gym and ran a bit and tried to keep up with training. But, I’ll just remind you again, I didn’t enjoy it.

I still don’t.

And I’m way behind on training.

This week, I did a four mile run. [FOUR out of THIRTEEN, mind you.] And I came close to expiring.

Not perspiring. [I was doing that. By the bucket-full.]

EXPIRING.

It was ugly.

And now I have nine days until I have to actually go for thirteen straight miles. I won’t run the whole thing. I won’t. [And you can’t make me.] But I will finish. I mean, it may take me 4-5 hours and feel like a total waste of my Sunday morning at the beach, but I’m finishing.

AND.

I just read on the website that I can actually get the new Vera Bradley bag the DAY BEFORE THE RACE. Not good- that was a major push to make me finish. Yikes. I should not have read that.

[I love Vera. I run for Vera. Sorry- I was born in Georgia. It’s in our blood.]

The only major highlight is that a handful of Nash-ladies are taking Southwest Airlines to the beach and staying in Seaside for the weekend.

I mean, I’ll enjoy Friday, Saturday, and Monday.

Sunday is still up in the air.

And if I don’t survive the race, you can have my car. And by “you”, I mean “my college friend Caren” because I’ve always promised to leave her the Camry in my will.

If I survive [I *probably* will], please don’t let me do this again.

I’m building a IT’S ONLY A HALF-MARATHON SUCK IT UP SISTER PLAYLIST to listen to while I run. I need at least 3 hours of jams. [That’s a conservative estimate…. let’s go for 4 hours.]

Help me out– what’s your favorite upbeat song?

Also– any advice for a first time [last time] half-marathoner?

1. jay LeCroy
    posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 5:43 AM  |  reply

Annie- I loved waking up to this blog. I suggest Cake “I Will Survive”. I was going to say Another One Bites The Dust, but quickly realized… not such a good motivator!

2. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:16 AM  |  reply

Oldie for you: “Walking on Sunshine”. That’s the first thing that came to mind so I went with it. My son is training for a half marathon, too. He loves running. I don’t know where he gets it. Seriously.

3. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:23 AM  |  reply

You’ll be hooked when you finish this one! Good luck, can’t wait to hear about it.

4. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:07 AM  |  reply

I’ve done 2…one was much prettier than the other. My advice: bodyglide to prevent chaffing (use it EVERYWHERE fabric will touch your body) during the race and some BioFreeze to put on your knees after the race. It will be the difference in walking normal the next day or the next week. As far as tunes, I think a blog post of your playlist will be due after completion. And good luck! I loved the feeling of finishing…even when I didn’t have great stats.

5. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:52 AM  |  reply

That Pink song “Raise Your Glass” and Avril Lavigne’s new song really keep me going….also most of Ke$ha’s songs too. I apparently have the musical taste of a 15 year old. GOOD LUCK!

6. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:05 AM  |  reply

Anything by Needtobreathe, although the first song to pop into my head was “Nothing Left To Lose”.

And maybe some Biebs… What says, “Don’t give up!” quite like a 16-year-old heartthrob with a sideswept haircut? Never say never, girl. Never say never! πŸ˜‰

7. Kristi
    posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:09 AM  |  reply

You can do it! (and, yes, you will be hooked afterwards.) I finished my first in 2:53 and I’m determined to do better next time. I ran without an iPod but my friend set up hers to play the Hallelujah chorus as she crossed the finish line. She may have cried a little. Good luck and keep us posted.

8. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:18 AM  |  reply

Hey Annie! I’ll be at the Seaside 1/2 too–t’s my second half-marathon. Maybe we’ll run into each other. As far as songs go, the playlist that got me through my first race had some Britney, Kelly Clarkson, and Bruce Springsteen’s “Born to Run”–cheesy, but it played as I crossed the finish line. This year’s playlist is all about Glee.

9. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:49 AM  |  reply

Marching On by OneRepublic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHvgAJe8bvM

and the entire O.C. Supertones Album Revenge Of The O.C. Supertones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenge_of_the_O.C._Supertones

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Merideth
    posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:59 AM  |  reply

I’ve never run a half-marathon. I ran track in high school, but the farhest I ever ran was 2 miles. You can do it Annie! You’ll be so proud of yourself when you do. I’m praying for you for the next 9 days, and especially the day of the race. Another cheezy song you could do is the eye of the tiger.

11. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:59 AM  |  reply

NO WAY! I’m going to be in seaside this weekend! I’m not running…because while I’m happy to run, I don’t pay to do it. πŸ™‚ But, some of my friends are running, so we are making a big trip of it and renting a house and staying for the long weekend. I’ll be watching for you and cheering you on! Who knows…maybe I’ll “run” into you! πŸ™‚

12. Amy Carpenter
    posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:06 AM  |  reply

you can do it annie! I have found this great website that will create a playlist according to the amount of time you want to be able to run your mile in according to the beats per minute of the song. it is also a great resource for awesome workout music in general:http://jog.fm/

good luck!

13. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:31 AM  |  reply

you will rock it girl. and i have to agree with someone about pink’s ‘raise your glass’. it’s not the first song that comes to mind, but that song just gets me pumped up. also, almost any fast switchfoot song. particularly, ‘hello hurricane’. or, if you’re a nerd, ‘come on eileen’. (i say that because i’m a nerd…it’d be on my playlist).

and you can never go wrong with some britney to pump you up. i particularly like, ‘stronger’ and ‘gimme more’. πŸ™‚

14. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:04 AM  |  reply

Someone else said it but I’ll echo it- load up on the Ke$ha, Pink, Avril, Beiber new stuff. A little Britney doesn’t hurt either. Here’s my other go-topics for races:
    Kanye West- “Stronger”
    U2 “Beautiful Day” {I usually start my playlist with this}
    Coldplay “Viva La Vida”
    Robert Randolph & The Family Band- “Ain’t Nothin’ Wrong With That” {I have Sophie to thank for this gem πŸ™‚
    Miranda- “Gunpowder & Lead”
    Carrie- “Flat on the Floor”

And the creme de la creme of race songs:
    Eminem- “Lose Yourself”

Get it girl! You can do this! Just don’t stop moving during the half and stretch REALLY, REALLY well afterwards.

15. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM  |  reply

P.S. Hold up. You get VERA BRADLEY as a finishing gift? Why haven’t I heard of this race and where do I sign up for next year?!?

16. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:19 AM  |  reply

Stars by Switchfoot.

17. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM  |  reply

“Eye of The Tiger”…fo sho!!! πŸ˜‰

and now for a cheer!!

go annie, go annie, it’s not your birthday (is it??, lol), get your groove on….

you’ll do great, i just know it!!!

18. Dana
    posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM  |  reply

Leslie’s suggestions are great. I would also add anything by Sugarland.
    Are You Going to Be My Girl-Jet
    C’Mon N’ Ride it(The Grain)
    Carry Out-Justin Timberlake
    Defying Gravity-Wicked
    Dirty-Christina Aquilera
    Dog Days are Over
    Marvelous Light
    Higher Ground-Red Hot Chili Peppers

19. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM  |  reply

I have to agree with Brittany, Needtobreathe is excellent running music, The Outsiders album specifically. “The Outsiders,” “Through Smoke,” “Girl Named Tennessee,” and “Let Us Love” are some of my favorites. I also find Maroon5’s version (I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever really listened to the original version) of “Highway to Hell” good running music. Maybe not the most encouraging, but something about the beat? the anger? it just worked for me.

20. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 1:18 PM  |  reply

Well, at least you’re not doing what I did last year, which is train for a half and even make it up to running/walking 11 miles and then NOT DO THE RACE ITSELF. At the time, I was very happy with my decision not to race, but now I kick myself. So kudos to you for sticking with it!

As for songs, here are some suggestions: “Pocketful of Sunshine” by Natasha Bedingfield, “Control” and “The Nerve” and “Spotlight” by MuteMath; “Girl Named Tennessee” by Needtobreathe; “Bittersweet Symphony” by The Verve (I love warming up to this one); “Going the Distance” by Cake; “Gonna Fly Now (The Rocky Theme)” (I know it seems cheesy, but it really used to get me pumped!).

Good luck, Annie! And just remember: walking breaks are you friend!

21. Mary Catherine
    posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM  |  reply

The Dog Days are Over has been on the top of my workout mixes lately.
    And the new Girl Talk album is so fun to run too!
    Good Luck πŸ™‚ xo

22. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM  |  reply

The kids and I have discussed this at great length. While the 2 year old is all about ‘Desus Yoves Me He Who Died’ the rest of us agree that ‘I’m Walking On Sunshine’ might be a better song to run-ish to. Thinking about you and cheering you on from Huntsville!!

23. Hannah
    posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM  |  reply

Way to go Annie! I am running a half-marathon in October, so I feel your pain! I usually pick a few albums and put them on shuffle, here’s my current list…
    -John Mayer’s Heavier Things
    -OneRepublic’s Waking Up
    -Adele’s 21 (so so good)
    -Anything from Glee
    Good luck!!

24. Travis
    posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM  |  reply

“My Life” Robin Thicke
    “Heartbeat” Nneka
    “Forget You” Cee Lo
    “Getting Jiggy WIth It” Will Smith

25. Brooke
    posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 4:43 PM  |  reply

“G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S” by Fergie! You go girl! I hate running too, i can’t imagine doing 13 miles. Eck. But YOU can do it! We won’t judge for any walking that takes place either. πŸ™‚

26. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM  |  reply

Oh, but it’s at Seaside. Vera and Seaside? Life DOES NOT get any better than that. Sing the song your heart needs to hear, girl. I will be cheering on from afar. You can do it!

27. posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM  |  reply

You’ve gotta have The Black Eyed Peas – Pump It and Radiohead’s Creep simply for the part at the end where he sings “Run, Run, Run, Run, RUUUUUUUNNNN.”

Also, I am super excited to meet you this weekend! Have a safe trip down, so we can rock out Inside/Out together.

28. Meagan
    posted on Feb 24, 2011 at 11:11 PM  |  reply

You. will. do. awesome! Such an inspiration for someone who is only on a 10K!

Song suggestions:
    Everybody’s Got Their Something-Nikka Costa

Imma Be-Black Eyed Peas

More-Usher

Little Secrets, The Reeling-Passion Pit

29. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM  |  reply

oh annie. please put some hanson on your playlist. hanson makes me want to dance. which would be so funny to see happen to someone running, but that’s not why i’m suggesting it.

30. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM  |  reply

I love Toby Mac’s music when I run, and [blush] M.C. Hammer’s “Can’t Touch This,” as well as Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” are my old school hits. And Justin Barnard (Shane’s bro) has a song called, “Advocate” that was also a running fav. When I ran my first half marathon in 2008, someone told me then if you can run half the distance, you’ll be able to do the other hype on pure hype and adrenaline. You can do it, Annie! And how awesome to do it in SEASIDE. For realz. doesn’t get much better than that for a run! Blessings on Sunday!

31. Ali
    posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM  |  reply

“Keep Your Head Up” – Andy Grammer and “The Beat” -Ben Rector. Seriously so good.

32. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 7:36 PM  |  reply

Foreigner: Rev on the Red Line
    Bryan Adams: Summer of ’69
    Sting: Bring on the Night
    Alter Bridge: Open Up Your Eyes
    Mother’s Finest: Hard Rock Lover
    Billy Joel: Extremes (I don’t know why I go to)

33. caren
    posted on Feb 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM  |  reply

While I have always dreamed of having the _____ mobile- I would much rather have you!! πŸ™‚ Truth. But I do love that we would all get some cool stuff from each other- IF.
    I’m so proud of you! I love the way you have set goals- HUGE goals and seen them come to pass! I mean- you wrote a book, you moved to a place where you knew nobody and love it now, you lived in Scotland for a month!! I mean Annie- those 13 miles got nothing on you! You inspire me! Truth! And I’m still glad you haven’t forgotten I get the car. AND you’ll be in Seaside and we all know how we feel about Seaside!!

34. posted on Mar 01, 2011 at 2:17 PM  |  reply

You’re gonna do awesome! Drink at the water stations and walk when you need to, you are gonna kill it πŸ™‚

35. posted on Mar 01, 2011 at 6:55 PM  |  reply

I ran the L.A. marathon last year and it was an amazing experience! Two of my favorite tunes to run to were “I Run to You” by Lady Antebellum and “I Feel Pretty” from West Side Story. I also liked upbeat gospel music.

Tips: when you’re training, practice with what you’re going to eat and drink for fuel during the race so you know how your body will react to different things. Get a good pair of cushioned, dry-fit socks. Wear a hat or headband to keep the sweat out of your eyes. Get people to cheer you on throughout the race. Seeing my brother & sister-in-law along the way made a huge difference to me.