A big Saturday.

on February 25, 2011 in AnnieWrites, Dreams Coming True, School dayz with 23 comments by

I’m emotional just typing this post.

That does not bode well for my speaking engagement this weekend. My eyes are probably going to puddle for my entire 40 minute slot.

Let me back up a bit.

From 2003-2005, I taught 5th grade in Jackson County. I have never loved sixty small people as much as I loved those kids. I prayed for them every day. I hugged them, cried with them, and let them get away with way more than I should have because gosh darn it, they were the cutest.

But I never openly shared the Gospel with those kids. [I hope I shared the Gospel every day with my life, but you know what I mean.]  I taught in a public school and I believe in respecting the laws of separating church and state.

Over the last seven years, I have returned to Jackson County once or twice a year for sports events or graduations or just because I miss my friends. I love that place.

In January, I got an email from a girl in Jackson County who works at the Static Student Mall, an outreach to teenagers in that county. She had seen my book and wanted to know if I would come speak at an event.

To summarize: I am speaking Saturday, about Jesus, to high school girls in Jackson County.

Look at the math. My 5th graders? They are now 11th and 12th graders.

THE SAME GIRLS THAT WERE 5TH GRADERS IN MY CLASSROOM WILL BE HIGH SCHOOLERS IN THE AUDIENCE.

If you are a teacher or have ever been a teacher, I bet you can imagine the multiple heart explosions I’ve had thinking about the opportunity I have been given on Saturday. Even explaining it to my co-workers at Mocha Club yesterday made me tear up.

In fact, I can’t hardly think about it without crying and whispering to God, “You have exceeded my dreams… You are always good to me… You saw this all along… You. Are. The. Best… Thank You…” Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, until I can no longer form sounds due to the tears.

In my little heart and in my short little life, this is one of the biggest deals ever.

THIS is a dream come true.

• Will you pray for me? Will you pray that the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart will be pleasing to God?
  • Will you pray for the girls in the crowd?
  • Will you pray for my students who I have invited and hope to see?
  • Will you pray for my teacher friends who will be in the audience as well?

I speak at 1pm EST on Saturday. If you would just set an alarm to pray for even one minute, it would mean so much to me.

This may be the most important speaking opportunity I will ever have.

May God be glorified.

1. Kalen
    posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 6:15 AM  |  reply

I love you Annie and will be praying for you all day!

2. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 6:50 AM  |  reply

I’ve got goose bumps. Yes, I’ll pray for you and for the girls you’ll be speaking to. Truly honored to do that for you.

3. ali
    posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 7:38 AM  |  reply

God is so flippin’ cool I can’t even stand it!

4. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 7:59 AM  |  reply

Annie–
    I am a fairly recent reader of your blog, and commenting here for the first time. (I have you to thank for my endless replay of “Fire and Dynamite!”

As I mom, I loved reading this post. (My eldest will be in a fifth grade classroom next year. So I loved hearing your heart, still so warm, for the kids you taught. And how amazing that you now get to share openly about the gospel with them– I’ll bet they have lots of ah-ha moments about the source of your remembered grace, humor and love for them.

I’ll pray!

5. Merideth
    posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:01 AM  |  reply

What an awesome opportunity! I’m praying, girl! You will do great, and the Lord will work wonders through you.

6. Shana
    posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:50 AM  |  reply

Praying for you Annie!! This is so amazing! God is so good. I know He planned it all along. 🙂

7. shireen eldridge
    posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM  |  reply

What an AMAZING opportunity Annie! Can’t believe it has been that long…is your class really in high school now??!! Wow…I LOVE that you have kept up with them…I will pray. Love you girl!

8. jennifer
    posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM  |  reply

How fun! I can only imagine what a day this will be! As a mama of a daughter who benefits from you (as do I)…wow are those lucky kids!! Know we are praying…setting an alarm now. BELIEVING for great things and will listen for the music from heaven as a celebration insues. Love and hugs to you!

9. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

oh wow… goosebumps.
    i’ll be praying for you {setting my phone alarm now}
    blessings to you sweet sister. may His word return filled to overflowing…

10. Kristi Kay
    posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM  |  reply

Wow. May God be glorified.

11. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 11:00 AM  |  reply

Wow, Annie. I have an important speaking engagement Saturday, too. And God has given me this scripture for the day:

“I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it” (Psalm 81:10).

I feel less nervous knowing He will give me the words to say. I’ll be praying for ya, sister. Go get ’em!

12. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 11:02 AM  |  reply

How exciting! God is so incredible in bringing things full circle!

I’m actually from Athens, and I have several family members who teach in Jackson Co. How I wish I could go visit… just so I could hear you speak!

God bless! I’ll be praying!

13. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM  |  reply

we serve an awesome God!! what an exciting thing to be a part of!! i will most certainly keep you all in my prayers!!!

14. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM  |  reply

I’m crying for you! We’ll be praying too.

15. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 6:26 PM  |  reply

WOW. God is good, friend. and count me in as one of the many pray-ers 🙂

16. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM  |  reply

God is too amazing for my little, feeble words. This is the coolest story every, Annie. My teacher heart is pumping it’s little fist in joyful thanks for your chance to speak to your former students. Praying for you!

17. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM  |  reply

As a former public school high school teacher I just got goose bumps and tears all rolled into one.

You will be prayed over, prayed for, and thought of!

Blessings!!

18. Debby Pinion
    posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 9:12 PM  |  reply

God will give you grace when you need it. Praying…..

19. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 9:26 PM  |  reply

I’m praying for you right now. 🙂

20. posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 11:14 PM  |  reply

Annie, that’s beautiful! I’ll be praying for you tomorrow as you share Jesus with these girsl 🙂

21. Erin
    posted on Feb 25, 2011 at 11:37 PM  |  reply

Yay! This makes my teacher heart so happy!

22. posted on Feb 26, 2011 at 12:37 AM  |  reply

You will be phenomenal. And I can’t wait to hear about it.

23. Son
    posted on Feb 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM  |  reply

Annie Downs…my heart just about exploded as I read this. God rewards the faithful and you are just that, faithful. I love you! You should be wrapping up your time talking as I’m typing this. I hope your conversations afterward are lead by the Spirit and that your heart is allowed to expand even more…if that’s possible!