Half-Marathon recap.

on March 7, 2011 in Get Fit with 8 comments by

Let’s start with this: I’m sore. In every place imaginable.

The good news? I finished the Seaside Half Marathon. I actually moved 13.1 miles and exercised for 3 hours and 25 minutes.

Here are my stats:

• I finished #2115 out of 2127. Meaning, I beat approximately 12 people. But that can’t be true because there were at LEAST 20 behind me.
  • My pace was 15:39 per mile. I know that’s slow.
  • I got a cramp in my right calf about 1/4 of a mile into the race and I thought for sure that I was going to get carted off the course by some sort of emergency vehicle.

The worst miles:

• Mile 2: It was a boring and I felt like this was a really bad choice.
  • Mile 12: I thought, “This is it! Last mile!” and I even started my last mile playlist [see below for details] and my friend Katie looped back and finished with me. Unfortunately, it was the LONGEST MILE OF MY LIFE.

The best miles:

• Mile 3: I had this moment where I was like, “Wait, I just ran a 5K. I’m 1/4 of the way through with the whole race. LET’S DO THIS THANG!”
  • Mile 8: It just felt good. I don’t know why. I just liked it.

Here’s me at the halfway turn. I know. Yikesies. [My desire to give you a glimpse of the experience is apparently greater than my desire to have any sense of pride. Sorry.]

And here I am at the finish line!

I know I know. 3 hours and 25 minutes is tortoise speed. But I totally enjoyed the experience which made it worth it to be a bit tardy to the finish line.

I also totally enjoyed my HALF MARATHON! playlist. Like whoa. Majorly. And so here it is. Please forgive the 2-3 songs with [EXPLICIT] lyrics. I was given a few songs as gifts and they have some yucky language. Don’t buy those.

These are all Top 40/Pop/Rap kind of songs. I needed strong beats to keep my legs movin’. I got to listen to my HALF MARATHON! playlist, uh, twice. [I’m slow, remember?] [Also- you can click on the images to see the lists bigger.]

And, as previously mentioned, I had a LAST MILE! playlist. It was really great to get to start it. Like, “Whoa, here it is. Time for the LAST MILE! playlist. That’s weird. And cool.” [My thoughts were obviously really deep at this point of the race.]

Overall, I give the experience two thumbs up. I walked a lot, I danced a little to my HALF MARATHON! playlist, and every muscle in my right leg and all but one muscle in my left leg are sore x 100.

But it was TOTALLY worth it.

And listen, if you’ve ever considered participating in a race like this, DO IT.

Trust me, if I can do this, so can you. And, you’ll have a faster time than me.

It’s just true.

1. posted on Mar 07, 2011 at 4:23 AM  |  reply

You rock.

2. Jenn
    posted on Mar 07, 2011 at 7:28 AM  |  reply

Well done, Annie!! Way to go, girl! 🙂

3. Kristi Kay
    posted on Mar 07, 2011 at 9:53 AM  |  reply

I love that you were faster than 12 people there…I would have been right there with you (if that). Raise your glass, girl! Great job!

4. posted on Mar 07, 2011 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

I don’t know what makes me more proud of you, that you finished the half or that you have Tardy for The Party on your running mix.

5. posted on Mar 07, 2011 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

atta girl!!13.1 miles is still a bouty load of mileage…:)
    and sometimes you need a little funky in your music to get your feet movin…congrats!!

6. posted on Mar 07, 2011 at 11:53 AM  |  reply

OMGosh you TOTALLY have Tardy For the Party on that playlist!! That Kim, she kills me…oh my. You should know that you are not alone in the slower running category! It’s great you finished. I hate running so i would have probably quit a mile into it! ha! Congrats to you, Annie! 🙂

7. posted on Mar 07, 2011 at 12:28 PM  |  reply

I am SO proud of you. As someone who has conquered the 13.1 (and NOT that much faster, mind you), I know what a feat that is. I describe it as terrible and awful and amazing! Hope you got one of those 13.1 stickers for your car because you need EVERYONE to know that you finished. Just think what a small percentage of the population can actually say that. Congrats to you! (P.S. this comment might not actually ever get to you because I can’t figure out how to submit this verification code!!)

8. Kim
    posted on Mar 07, 2011 at 4:43 PM  |  reply

Congrats! I can’t imagine running for that long and that far. Go, Annie!