A bicycle mistake.

on March 11, 2011 in Get Fit with 11 comments by

The Half-Marathon was on Sunday.

We had to be in Seaside on Saturday to pick up our packets- you know, the packets that say “now that you have this number in your hands, you actually have to show up for the race.”

I didn’t really want that number exactly. But I sorta did. I’m glad I got it now, but I seriously considered leaving my number orphaned at the Seaside Elementary School for some other sorry sap to pick up and run with.

[Literally.]

Someone [it was Marisa but don’t say I blamed her] got the hair-brained idea that we should rent bikes and ride over to Seaside to get said packets. I remember being concerned. I remember thinking a bike ride 20 hours before my first half-marathon was not the best for my muscles.

Then this happened and we were off before my calves could protest.

And I was all, “oh well it’ll be fine.”

Do you know how long it was from our house to Seaside?

SEVEN POINT TWO MILES.

7.2 miles. One way.

14.4 miles there and back.

That means my friends forced me to BIKE A HALF-MARATHON THE DAY BEFORE I RAN/WALKED A HALF-MARATHON.

I was slow on the bike, too. I mean, this was my view for most of the ride.

See that speed bump coming up ahead?

I didn’t.

And it caused a major jarring of my basket of goods and a major jarring of my, um, organs. About 7 minutes after that jarring, I hit a bush with the bike.

[I should have taken the hint and stopped riding right there. But I didn’t.]

And as much as I tried to enjoy it, it was miserable. I mentally complained the entire time, thinking, “You barely trained for the foot race, you certainly didn’t train for a bike race!”

Especially when we were headed back and the wind was blowing about 30 mph in our faces and we were biking uphill and my entire self was sore to the tenth degree, oh boy was I complaining then.

I was complaining in every language I know. Southern redneck and Scottish.

Bless my heart.

So accidentally, I completed a marathon last weekend.

And that is one thing you will never hear me say again.

. . . . .

A little biz… are you having trouble leaving a comment? If so, email me through the contact form (at the top of this page snuggled between “Speaking” and “Blogroll”). A dozen or so of you have already contacted me, but I’m guessing there are more of you. My blog-boss Lauren and I are trying to fix the situation. So if you try today and it doesn’t work, please say so.

And for future reference- if AnnieBlogs is ever giving you trouble, just let me know and I’ll whip her back into shape. I’m the boss of her.

1. posted on Mar 11, 2011 at 6:17 AM  |  reply

Did you have any idea it was so far before you started out? That’s crazy. I think your official time for the half marathon should be divided by half. Or you could have jumped in the ocean afterwards and tried for an Iron Man? Wow.

2. posted on Mar 11, 2011 at 6:18 AM  |  reply

As you can see, the comment problem has been fixed for me. Good job, Lauren.

3. Blair
    posted on Mar 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM  |  reply

I pretty much love this post. Things I do NOT love: STILL being sore in my “seat-region” several days later. And if you don’t publicly blame Marisa, I WILL. That girl has calves of steel! She didn’t feel a thing! She RELISHED torturing us. Gospel truth.

4. posted on Mar 11, 2011 at 2:02 PM  |  reply

lol. That’s absolutely the best line I’ve heard in awhile. ‘I accidentally completed a marathon!’ Annie for the win!

5. posted on Mar 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM  |  reply

I almost spit my drink out when i got to the part about the speed bump! Totally unexpected! HA! Annie you’re awesome. Thanks for sharing your life stories with us. 🙂

6. posted on Mar 12, 2011 at 11:15 AM  |  reply

I am just going to say it: I am soo jealous that its shorts and t-shirts weather where you are. Sadly, it is not here. We didn’t get the blizzard that socked in everything north of us, but there’s snow. And gray skies. So, whine. But yay for completing a marathon 🙂

7. posted on Mar 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM  |  reply

Just had a girls weekend with my college roomies. They all ran together on Saturday morning. I ate a scone. And then went back to sleep. You are a better woman than me.

8. Annie
    posted on Mar 14, 2011 at 12:13 AM  |  reply

@ Natalie:
    I like your ways, Nat. A lot. 🙂

9. posted on Mar 14, 2011 at 7:36 AM  |  reply

Ah, I can leave a comment! (I was truly worried that it was me. And too self-conscious to say, ‘Erhm… that math question? Can’t do it.))

I love that you accidentally completed a marathon. You make me smile.

Let’s have some ice cream to celebrate.

10. Tammie
    posted on Mar 15, 2011 at 10:30 AM  |  reply

I love your willingness and your view on life. Thanks for sharing your stories.

11. posted on Mar 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM  |  reply

Yay!! You did it!! Are you going to get a 13.1 or 26.2 sticker now?? Proud of you girl. That is a big deal!!