Mondays are for winners.

on March 28, 2011 in (in)courage, AnnieWrites, I heart books. with 16 comments by

I think if I keep repeating this to myself, it shall soon become true.

I had an absolutely awesome weekend. My sisters were in town, some friends came to town, we watched a lot of basketball and had about forty people over to the house for BBQ. We saw Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors in concert. We ate like we were on death row [meaning good, like REALLY good food that is super bad for you but we didn’t care]. And we did a lot of this…

Which leaves me with absolutely nothing to complain about.

Except the weather. It. Is. Freezing. But because Mondays are for winners, I refuse to dwell on the winter temperatures. Because I’m a winner and winners don’t dwell on negative things but pardon me, if it is 40*F in March, doesn’t that equal -20*F in my soul?

I’m just saying. It’s science. Look it up.

So… my first two (in)courage Bloom Book Club posts are up! It makes me sweaty to think of being the center of attention over there for the whole week, but it seems to be going okay so far. [Ummm, the “center of attention” part isn’t what I hate- who are we kidding? I actually love that. So maybe just running the show somewhere outside of this little corner of the internet sky is what makes me nervous.]

You can check out the posts here–

Meet Annie Downs [you already know me, but you can pretend like you don’t]

An Interview With Annie [thanks for the questions!]

There will be a new post there every day this week, so be sure to check it out. I mean, if you wanna.

Also, my sweet friend Ashleigh blogged about her Marine coming home from deployment and I love them. Thought you might want to love them too.

Also, it makes me mad that Charlie Sheen stole “WINNING!” from the rest of the world because it is a word that I wish I could have used a few times throughout this post already. But he high-jacked it and I’m mad.

I think you need to see this picture as well.

Know what this means? It means I’m getting ready to start writing again… in a major way. Know what that means? It means I’m about to start writing my next book. Know what that means? You’re about to have to PRAY.ME.THROUGH.

I’m spending the next few weeks honing my craft, reading books that make me think and write and make my heart feel like it is going to explode out of my chest. I don’t know what God is doing, but I can’t quit thinking about being a better writer and the excitement of starting something new. It’s kinda fun… kinda scary… and kinda awesome.

Someday, when I haven’t already written 474 words, I’ll tell you why your prayers mean so much to me when I’m writing. But for now, I’ll just remind you how I finish writing a book.

I’ve done it before. I can do it again. And hopefully, I’ll finish this one on a Monday.

WINNING!

[Ugh, see? See what he did? It’s not even fun anymore. Sigh… back to your Monday, my friends.]

How was your weekend? And also- how is the weather where you are? And also- are you mad that Charlie Sheen stole “WINNING!” from the rest of the English-speaking population?

1. posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:22 AM  |  reply

you are so cute! love this post:))
    bird by bird is a super-inspirational-get-your-tale-writing-something kind of book. love anne lamott.
    headed to read your post at incourage now:))

ps. its cold in NC…burrrrr.

2. posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 6:43 AM  |  reply

Praying, friend. I’m so excited you’re starting your second book!!

Sisters all together? Awesome.

And I may be showing my age, but I haven’t been following the Charlie Sheen scandal and haven’t heard the WINNING thing. (I kept myself from writing thang there.) So it sounds fine to me when you write it.

It’s 43 degrees and raining here again today. Hopefully spring will make its appearance again soon. In the meantime I’m posting spring flower photos!

3. posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM  |  reply

i was at the bijou in knoxville, at the drew/ellie/neighbors concert with the fabulous mockingbird sun. yeeowzers… they’re good! i went to work the mocha club table so i missed most of the concert, but i could hear alot of it and got to hang out with sam, drew’s brother and the guys from mockingbird sun.
    saturday, i went to a funeral, got fertilizer for my hay bale garden and prepared for a dinner party at our house. whew. busy day.
    then on sunday, church with the hubs, lunch with the son, and then i went down to the UT botanical gardens to FREEZE while i took pictures of one of “my girls” from my small group who wanted to celebrate her 17th birthday with a photoshoot with her friends. then small group, dinner and SLEEP!
    after the last few weeks, this cold weather is a bitter pill!!

• posted on Mar 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM  |  reply

@purejoy, I adore the Bijou. I saw Ingrid Michaelson and Mat Kearney there exactly one year ago. It was bliss.

4. posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:21 AM  |  reply

you crack me up.
    my weekend was full of a whole lot of nothing. which was fine because i needed a weekend with a whole lot of nothing if you know what i mean.
    the weather is boo nasty. rainy and the loudest and brightest lightning and thunder i have ever seen in my life. i want sunny and in the 70’s back. please? 🙂
    and…yes. charlie sheen. darn you!

you’re awesome. by getting to read your words we’re WINNING.

yeah. didn’t work. gah! 😉

5. posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:40 AM  |  reply

Missed seeing you this weekend. Glad you had fun with your sister.

6. posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM  |  reply

“Winning” is so overused, but I STILL laugh everytime I see it.

7. posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM  |  reply

ANYTHING I HAVE TO SAY FADED AWAY WHEN I WAS LIKE “…wait.. is that?… yes… it is… MADELEINE L’ENGLE!!!!!!!!!” and my favorite of hers.

i love that book so much. i’m going to find my copy of it and give it a smooch.

thats weird.

8. Laura
    posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM  |  reply

The weather where I am is cold, but not too bad. I can go outside without freezing my bippy off. My weekend was good. I went to a science fair that I didn;t win anything in :(. Oh well… I hope you had tons of fun with your sisters! (And I noticed that you used the word “shall” which you mentioned in SUSIE!) 🙂

9. Erin
    posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM  |  reply

I love your incourage post! I am on the same page about regretting quitting band (except for flute). I LOVE your answer to what you’d want to hear every day. Your honesty is inspiring.

10. Alexandra
    posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM  |  reply

Could you share some of the titles you’ve found helpful in honing your writing skills? I’d love to know…

• posted on Mar 30, 2011 at 9:16 PM  |  reply

@Alexandra, Hey Alexandra!
      Here are a few of my favorites:
      On Writing
      On Writing Well
      Bird by Bird
      Walking On Water

Enjoy!

11. posted on Mar 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM  |  reply

Yay for your next book! As I’m working on my first novel, I can commiserate with the agony and ecstasy of sitting down to write. I love Bird by Bird and Writing Well is on my To Read list.

Great job on your (in)courage posts!

12. posted on Mar 29, 2011 at 6:41 PM  |  reply

Um. I am envious that you saw DH&N. California is not on their schedule and I really want to see them live. Badly.

The weather here is nearly 60*F and sunny. Please don’t hate me.

My weekend was splendid – I did laundry and ate a fantastically awesome burger at my favorite burger joint.

13. posted on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:16 PM  |  reply

I am new to your blog. And I don’t think Winning will ever get old. I say it all the time. Charlie Sheen brought the country together in a weird sort of way. 😉
    I look forward to reading more on your blog.
    Cheers,