Book club: Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand

on April 25, 2011 in I heart books. with 15 comments by

Well goodness gracious. Y’all went absolutely bananas in the comments last Friday when we listed our Top 5 favorite books. If you haven’t read through them, I encourage it. It’ll take you some time, but it’ll be worth it.

Now you’ve got all my wheels [three total] spinning about how we can keep talking about books and what that could look like and thinking, “OMG, our little blog-family loves to read!”

So wait patiently and soon I’ll figure out how to keep that conversation going. Because I want to… real bad.

To start, I’ve been meaning to show you pictures from book club last weekend. I got to host, which made me super happy because the book, Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, is set in England and if anyone loves them some Great Britian, it’s this girl [meaning me].

I decided to host a full-on tea party. And thanks to my mama, who has dutifully filled my hope chest every year since I was 13, I had two tea pots and all the accoutrements. There is something so sweet about being able to use these beautiful pieces.

I mean, I even have a tea cozy. And I know how to use it. [And this picture is 100% for Mama, Kelda, Melissa, and all the other women from Tea & Traditions. I’m making you proud, aren’t I?]

I use real plates and real cups. It’s the way I was raised. It’s also the way that my BFF Molly’s grandmother insisted things be done and every time I host, I think of Molly, Molly’s mom, and Molly’s grandma and I shy away from paper products.

[Unless boys are coming over for chili or pizza or something un-ladylike. Then, sheesh. Paper products it is.]

Also. Look at this GORGIE-POO cake. I mean, seriously. My friend Russell, the baker extraordinaire at LB’s Market House, made it for us. I went into LB’s [which I do about daily], saw a cake like this, and said, “Russell. Please. Can I? Whole one. Book club. Please?”

[It was so beautiful and delicious I couldn’t even make full sentences.]

So he made me one. Lemon pound cake with marzipan and edible flowers. I died [in a good way].

Also, welcome to my neighborhood, where Russell has the cake ready for me 30 minutes before LB’s even opened up and I got to knock on the window for him to let me in. Felt very Mayberry [and it kinda is around these parts]. And I loved it.

So did the girls at book club.

Kelley and Amber were happy happy girls. I mean, look at those beautiful faces! Also, do not judge us for eating cake at 10:30am on a Saturday morning.

In general, we loved Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand. The group of girls that gather for book club are all super smart, love to read, and love to discuss the books. So we dove straight into character development, racism, costuming, and all things British.

As you can imagine, I was full of joy from start to finish.

Well, almost to the finish.

Oh the downside of using real dishes…..

Still worth it.

Our book club selection for May is The Hunger Games [which you already KNOW that I love] and then in June it is Bossypants [which I am sure I am going to love].

Ahh…. book club. [insert deep sigh of satisfaction here]

Are you in a book club? What are y’all reading now?

1. posted on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:35 PM  |  reply

Okay, seriously? We could be book twins.

I just totally inhaled the whole Hunger Games series in 5 days. No joke. And Bossypants is on my nightstand ready for me to start tonight. No joke.

And bookclub? I ran an awesome blog bookclub earlier in the year, but it just got too much for me. But between Geneen Roth and Donald Miller? It pretty much rocked. (Until the half-arsed attempt at cooking through a magazine and then petered out completely…)

In case you’re interested in seeing a well-intentioned but exhausting site, it is at womenfoodblog dot wordpress dot com.

I’m curious to see where your little mind is going…

2. posted on Apr 25, 2011 at 7:21 PM  |  reply

I love throwing tea parties! Your tea pots look beautiful and that cake looks incredible.

Wouldn’t it be fun to host an online book club? I think your readers would be up for it based on Friday’s post!

• posted on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:53 PM  |  reply

@Leigh, I’m kinda toying with the same idea…. I dunno… Melanie (BigMama) is doing a book club and it is awesome. So… I’ll keep brainstorming!

3. posted on Apr 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM  |  reply

Ooh, sounds like a plan. I can’t wait to see what you dream up. Nothing on my list right now. (Trying to get my ducks in a row for my daughter’s college graduation. I can breathe after that.) I’ve seen so many from the comments that I want to read! Sort of a kid in the candy store feeling.

And all the grandmoms in the world are proud of you right now.

4. Tay
    posted on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:14 PM  |  reply

Can’t wait to see what you come up with! I’m sure that you’ll come up with something great!

Right now, I am reading Paperdoll by Natalie Lloyd. Have you heard of her? She is an awesome writer and she has a lovely blog!

• posted on Apr 25, 2011 at 9:52 PM  |  reply

@Tay, Natalie Lloyd is a dear friend and Paperdoll and an AMAZING book.

5. posted on Apr 26, 2011 at 7:28 AM  |  reply

I love tea parties! I’m not in a book club but I would love to be. Although I was an English major in college so the last four years of my life sort of feels like one giant book club. I read MPLS over the summer and thought it was fantastic!

6. posted on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:45 AM  |  reply

Oooooh, Annie! This looks like such fun!!!!!!!!! And that cake. Mmmm….sounds delicious!

7. BV
    posted on Apr 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM  |  reply

One of my favorites is one I read from your recommendation–Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God’s Spoken World
    N. D. Wilson It is a fantastic book that gives me tingles of delight when I think of sharing it.

Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis And it has to have the original artwork. What a gorgeous talent he had. I can not imagine raising children without sharing those books with them.

Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Diebler Rose–a life changing book for me. I treasure it!

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. I’ve bought and shared so many copies.

God’s Smuggler by Brother Andrew. He gave me such insight into putting it all on the line for God.

Tortured for Christ by Pastor Richard Wurmbrand. (Any by him)

Thanks for asking and for everyone sharing!

8. posted on Apr 26, 2011 at 10:52 PM  |  reply

aww, that looks like way too much fun! 🙂

9. Kim
    posted on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:54 PM  |  reply

I’m co-leading a book club right now every Saturday morning. We’re reading Plan B by Pete Wilson, and I LOVE it. Usually we all switch members and leaders every 12 weeks, but we’re having so much fun with this club that we’re going to stick with it as long as we can. I think every girl should be in a book club 🙂

10. Jessica
    posted on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM  |  reply

I want to be in a book club with Annie Downs! I have 6 books going right now! I love reading way too much.

11. posted on Apr 29, 2011 at 6:17 PM  |  reply

*LOVE* hunger games, i have red the whole series!! good stuff!!

12. Kelda
    posted on Apr 29, 2011 at 8:17 PM  |  reply

Annie,
    You make us so proud! And hungry, I might add.

I sure do miss you!

Kelda

13. Bonnie
    posted on Apr 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM  |  reply

Proud can’t say enough how I feel! You continue to amaze and delight! May tea and tea party’s regain their rightful place in our American lifestyle. T&T messed me up, in a good way!