TOP 5 FRIDAY: Dream cities!

on May 6, 2011 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 99 comments by

Well, as long as we are talking about going to faraway cities, let’s make a TOP 5 FRIDAY out of it.

[If you are newer-ish to TOP 5 FRIDAYS, you can check out the last few. It’ll catch you up to speed.]

Here’s a thing about me. I don’t really want to visit places where I don’t have people. I know that sounds dumb, but I’m just way more inclined to pay for a vacation where I get to see friends than just see a statue or pretty beach.

[That paragraph is brought to you by My Singleness. I think family vacays to new destinations are fun. But I’m 30. Family vacays aren’t a given anymore and when I’m a lonesome dove, I want to travel to people.]

But for the purposes of this list, I will be pretending like I am traveling with all the people I love and have an unlimited budget and schedule. [Welcome to Friday, where reality is nothing but a memory.]

So here is the TOP 5 FRIDAY list of DREAM CITIES I WOULD LIKE TO VISIT.

#1. Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

I have long been a major fan of Anne of Green Gables and I am absolutely LONGING to see Prince Edward Island. I know Anne and Gilbert won’t be there, but I’d still like to see the island, maybe look around, and practice my burial in a small boat in a lake. Just call me the Lady of Shalott.

[Sidenote: my friend Hillary went there and brought me back a small clay Anne of Green Gables ornament. That was her answer to, “HILL! Let me go with you!! PLEASE?!?” I asked for a dream vacation. She gave me a clay doll.]

I’m terribly ungrateful. Back to the list….

#2. Rome, Italy

I was there once. For about 4 hours. I didn’t get to see ANY of the city. It’s a long complicated story but suffice it to say I was left wanting much more of Rome than I got. Also, I need more gelato in my life. Trust me.

#3. Providence, Rhode Island

There used to be a television show called “Providence” and I absolutely loved the opening montage from the show. Ever since then, I’ve imagined that the city looks JUST like that year round- falling leaves, people on bikes, the whole thing.

#4. Moscow

In the fourth grade, we had some sort of world fair around our school and my classroom was decorated like Moscow. I got to wear my ballet leotard to school and pretend to be a Russian ballerina. And bizarrely, ever since then, I’ve had a real affinity for the Russians I would love to see the Kremlin. Also- I really want to figure out what happened to Anastasia.

#5. Jerusalem

Forgive me for sounding like a super Christian, but I love that a city that is so pivotal in the Bible is still in existence and we can see actual Bible landmarks. I know it is sorta dangerous there, but I look danger in the face and say, “you won’t stop me from visiting the homeland of my religion!” except I’d say it in Hebrew because, you know, Jerusalem and all.

Your turn! What are your TOP 5 DREAM CITIES? Or you can just list one. Or two. Or 12. Just remember- there are no rules, no limits- you are not constrained by school or strollers or dollars or budgets or travel or timelines.

1. posted on May 06, 2011 at 11:26 AM  |  reply

1 cinque terre, italy (my #1 for SURE – it’s my dream vacation!!)
    2 vancouver, british columbia
    3 sydney, australia
    4 napa valley, california (is this technically a “city”?)
    5 austin, texas (going for the first time in 3 weeks!!!)

2. posted on May 06, 2011 at 11:34 AM  |  reply

1. New York, New York: hello, broadway and all things beautiful.
    2. Paris, France: after watching “funny face” with audrey hepburn…YES, please!
    3. Glasgow, Scotland: fell in love with the city and can’t wait until the Lord calls me back.
    4. Rome, Italy: again…i blame audrey. plus, I have always wanted to say “oh well, when in rome…!”
    5. The North Pole: past the swirly, twirly gumdrops and beyond the candy cane forest…

3. posted on May 06, 2011 at 11:41 AM  |  reply

1- Tuscon, Arizon: I live in Philadelphia and never really traveled, and I can’t imagine a place without hills and trees.
    2- San Francisco: I’ve wanted to see that Golden Gate Bridge ever since the Full House opening song.
    3- Boston: I think it seems cozy.
    4- London: Because it seems romantic.
    5- Rome: I’m Catholic, and so much of our church’s history and foundation and meaning is in Rome. It’s the Holy City for Catholics, and I’d love to see it someday.

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:20 PM  |  reply

@Laura, Boston is my FAVORITE city to visit. Make sure you see Martha’s Vineyard when you go.

4. posted on May 06, 2011 at 11:45 AM  |  reply

I just told my husband that I was going to demand a vacation this year, before we start a family….and these are the three places I’m debating on-
    1. Savannah, Georgia – I don’t know why but I have always been obsessed with the town and I so want to visit. I love the history, the architecture, all of it. Why Savannah and not like Hilton Head or Charleston or someplace else? I don’t know…just one of those things.
    2. Chicago – Doesn’t everyone have to visit Chicago once?
    3. Nashville – I just want to sit and listen to beautiful music be born…and I think Nashville would be the place to do it.

Also-Rhode Island, very interesting I’m sure it’s beautiful – sometimes I think I forget about that state. But hey, I’m from Kansas so I know all about forgotten states! I think maybe I’ll add Rhode Island to the list of places to some day visit.

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 11:47 AM  |  reply

@MirandaM from KS, ps-this more like my “Very Plausible list of cities to visit” not the “I dream of someday visiting” list…

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:21 PM  |  reply

@MirandaM from KS, Plausible is good. πŸ™‚ Make sure you go to Paula Deen’s restaurant in Savannah. It’s unreal.

5. posted on May 06, 2011 at 11:47 AM  |  reply

1. Sydney, Australia
    2. Auckland, New Zealand
    3. San Diego, CA
    4. Tuscany, Italy
    5. Seattle, WA

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:21 PM  |  reply

@Julie, I agree with every single one of yours.

6. posted on May 06, 2011 at 11:51 AM  |  reply

Today, it’s:

1) Jerusalem (no shame!)
    2) Auckland, NZ (to see all the Lord of the Rings sites…)
    3) London (for the football)
    4) Dublin, Ireland (I want da gold)
    5) Boston (never been, I suck)

7. posted on May 06, 2011 at 11:52 AM  |  reply

I am going to campaign for a minute for your number 5, J-lem since I live in Israel. You MUST come one day and visit, not only J-lem, but all of Israel!!! If you ever do make it over here I would gladly be your own personal tour guide πŸ™‚ Shabbat Shalom! ps… its really not so dangerous at all… as a tourist anyways πŸ™‚

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:24 PM  |  reply

@Maureen, oh yay! Ok- you may have just sold me on it. Scotland owns my 2011, but maybe 2012? πŸ™‚

8. Emily
    posted on May 06, 2011 at 11:54 AM  |  reply

1. Rome, Italy {with a side trip to the Cinque Terre, puh-lease!}
    2. Paris {I die.}
    3. Salzburg, Austria {hello … Sound of Music!}
    4. London, England {royal wedding overload?}
    5. Jerusalem {my parents have been and it’s totally on my bucket list!}

Also, I’ve so always wanted to visit PEI, too! Like a dream of a dream! πŸ™‚ It would totally make the next 5 … I’ve just got some other spots I want to do first …

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:24 PM  |  reply

@Emily, I want to be friends with Kate and William real bad.

• Emily
        posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:37 PM  |  reply

for real. confession – i spent five minutes on the internet this morning looking at pictures of kate going to the supermarket! love them.

9. posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:02 PM  |  reply

a. rome is wonderful. go.
    b. moving on…
    1. berlin, germany
    2. dublin, ireland
    3. portland, or
    4. seattle, wa
    5. boston, me

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:26 PM  |  reply

@holly, Portland. Yes. It’s on my list too.

10. Jessica
    posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:13 PM  |  reply

1. Rome, Italy: Yes, I’ve already been, but my “wish” in the Trevi Fountain was to come back to this amazing city and do some more exploring.

2. Newport Beach, Ca: I live in California. I go to school in San Diego, but I have never been to Christy Miller land. Sad day.

3. Seattle, Washington: Coffee. Music. Rain. Could this place possibly be any better?

4. Dublin, Ireland: My family immigrated from Ireland in the 1930’s, and I would love to see “the motherland”.

5. Stockholm, Sweden: I love the food and the people. And also Ikea.

11. posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:15 PM  |  reply

1. Galilee/The Negev/Jerusalem – can I just say all of Israel?
    2. Fira, Greece.
    3. Cape Town, South Africa
    4. Boston, MA
    5. Portland, OR (reading a lot of Donald Miller lately.)

Prince. Eward. Island. Can it possibly live up to my dreams if Anne and Gilbert aren’t there?

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:58 PM  |  reply

@Ginger, Greece. Yes. We played MASH last night and I ended up living in Greece. I wasn’t mad about it.

12. posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:20 PM  |  reply

I am firmly convinced everyone needs more gelato in their life. You, me, and even every Italian that ever walked the face of the earth.
    My dream cities to visit are (way more than five, just letting you know):

1. Rome, Italy- with side trips to Florence and Milan and anywhere under the Tuscan sun I can go in a week. Or two. Or seven.
    2. Boston, MA- in the fall please.
    3. Paris, France- for the Eiffel tower and all that jazz.
    4. Honolulu- because it’s Hawaii. Duh.
    5. Jerusalem- because maybe I’m a cliche super christian girl and I think it would be cool to see “the birthplace of my religion”.
    6. Santorini, Greece- because I’ve had friends go and they say it’s the best vacation they’ve ever been on ever.
    7. Seattle, WA.
    8. Charleston, SC.
    9. New York City

That maybe halfway covers it. But I knew I needed a stopping point.

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:59 PM  |  reply

@kara, I am diagnosing you with a case of the travel bug. And I like it. πŸ™‚

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 1:13 PM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs, It’s true. I do. I like it too πŸ™‚

13. posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:49 PM  |  reply

We currently live in Nairobi, Kenya. While it was never in my “top 5,” I’m glad we’re here.

My top 5:
    1. Paris. Okay, maybe trite. But I loved the two weeks we were there, years ago.
    2. Prague. Love it. Really.
    3. Rome. Never been there. Mom loves it.
    4. NYC. Visited just briefly. I’d like to live there for a year.
    5. Sarasota, Florida. It’s “home” and has the most gorgeous beaches and the amazing Ringling Art Museum and grounds. Love it.

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 3:36 PM  |  reply

@TulipGirl, I’ve never been to Kenya. Send me regards. πŸ™‚

14. Susanne
    posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:50 PM  |  reply

Ok, let’s see..

1. London (I’ve always wanted to go to England so I use London as one although I’d love to visit all of England)
    2. Sydney, Austrailia
    3. Dublin, Ireland
    4. Victoria, BC (Because I would love to meet my step-daughter and step-granddaughters for the first time)
    5. Cleveland, Ohio (so I could visit the rock and roll hall of fame)

15. posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:53 PM  |  reply

1. Florence, Italy
    2. Rome, Italy. Shoot, just give me all of Italy!
    3. Oahu, Hawaii. Lost was filmed there. Plus, it’s gorgeous.
    4. New York, New York ‘Nuf said.
    5. Prague, Czech Republic. I confess I want to go here solely because it was on the Amazing Race and looked, well, amazing. πŸ™‚

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 3:36 PM  |  reply

@erin, I totally plan to visit some friends in Prague while I’m in Scotland. I can’t wait.

16. Mama Downs
    posted on May 06, 2011 at 12:58 PM  |  reply

1. Edinburgh, Scotland while my person is there πŸ™‚
    2. Jerusalem
    3. Beijing, China (also Xian)
    4. Seattle, WA
    5. Williamsburg, VA

17. posted on May 06, 2011 at 1:16 PM  |  reply

1. Cork, Ireland
    2. Zurich, Switzerland
    3. Crete
    4. Nova Scotia
    5. The Hebrides
    6. Rome {of course}
    7. Anywhere with good food and dessert.

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 3:37 PM  |  reply

@~ calista ~, I totally hope to visit the Hebrides while I’m in Scotland.

18. posted on May 06, 2011 at 1:28 PM  |  reply

I love your choices! Here’s mine …

1. Venice. I didn’t think I’d like it, but I. Loved. It. Favorite city that I’ve been to, hands down. Cannot wait to go back.

2. Any Small Hilltown in the South of France. Mostly because of the song by Ingrid Michaelson, You and I “…oh let’s get rich and buy our parents homes in the south of France…” And the French language just sounds romantic.

4. Oslo. Because I like the name.

5. Cinque Terre, Italy. Because we never made it there, and I want to sit on the deck of our rented room and drink limoncello….

19. posted on May 06, 2011 at 1:32 PM  |  reply

I would love to see lots of places, but like you am single and travel by myself from Kenya to Colorado for furloughs, but don’t really want to see the sights by myself. Even so, I’d love to see lots of places!

1. Jerusalem/ Galilee
    2. New Zealand
    3. the Island of Iona, Scotland – because lots of missionary monks came from there & I’m told it helped to save many manuscripts during the dark ages and in a way Christianity’s re-birthplace.
    4. Oberamergau (spelling isn’t my forte’), Germany – in 2020 or when the passion play is put on as it has been done since the 1500s. Its in German, but I might learn a little before I go or not – I’m sure the story is pretty much the same :).
    5. The great wall of China – it just seems so amazing.
    6 – Italy – it seems so romantic & I’d love to see it – especially the towns near or in the Alps.
    7. Greece – the parthenon and the tower of pisa.

That isn’t all, but 7 is a good number :). Maybe when there is a new heaven and a new earth we can see all these places as they were meant to be too and see them with lots of fellow travelers that we can relate to!

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 3:44 PM  |  reply

@Lynn Pottenger, The great wall of China- totes. I want to see that too.

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 11:25 PM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs, My sister lives in the PI an visited the Great Wall back in Feb or March. When she sent me a picture. Of her. On the Great Wall of China? I about died. I don’t even really like Asian countries but that was just the neatest thing I’d ever seen. You must go!! πŸ™‚

20. posted on May 06, 2011 at 1:33 PM  |  reply

We’re only suppose to list 5? πŸ™‚ If we are traveling with all the people we love and have an unlimited budget and schedule…only 5 is hard to narrow it down.

But here goes…
    #1-Italy but not just one city I want to tour the Italian country side. Rome, Milan, Tuscany…all those places. This is actually what I want to do when I marry…marry in Italy and then tour.
    2- Antarctica I don’t know what city yet. But that’s the last continent to make it on and I’ll have it all of them so that’s my dream, I here there’s a city with hot springs you sit in on the ice, so probably there. πŸ™‚
    3. Beijing, China
    4. Greece
    5. Spain

Only listing 5 is really hard for me ? I love to travel. And want to see the rest of the world.
    I know some are countries but I haven’t narrowed down the actual cities yet.

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 3:45 PM  |  reply

@Leanna, Wow. I like the way you play this game. Also- I like the way you live.

21. posted on May 06, 2011 at 2:17 PM  |  reply

Oh nelly – I have such a glorious page in my journal with my top 10 list, but I will settle for 5 today. πŸ™‚
    1. Easter Island, Chile – hello, the huge heads!
    2. Koh Phi Phi, Thailand – have you ever seen “The Beach?” Yeah, it’s like that.
    3. London, England – one of my favorite journals had a picture of Big Ben on the front. I got engaged during that journal. I must pay homage.
    4. Kampala, Uganda – my little dude, Sam, that we sponsor through World Vision lives there. His smile has more teeth than most humans, I mean it!
    5. Tierra del Fuego, Argentina – because it’s called Tierra del Fuego.

22. posted on May 06, 2011 at 2:23 PM  |  reply

My wish list in no particular order:
    1) Sicily, Florence; Italy
    2) Siberia, St Pete, Moscow & Samara (peeps there); Russia
    3) China
    4) Round trip USA in a mobile home
    5) Australia
    (even though I am deadly afraid of their spiders and such)
    6) Been to Israel several times, but it is home so I always want to go back – like to rent a car and travel all over the place, especially the desert, it’s beautiful!!
    7) Some place in Africa.
    I am not terribly good at being a tourist, so I would like to spend a lot of time in each place to also do social work as a volunteer. Not to be good, just because I like it to get to know the culture real well. Like you going to Edinburgh (I love, love, love the Scottish accent!!!)

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 3:51 PM  |  reply

@Fenny, We tried to get our dad to take us across the US in a mobile home and eat BBQ in every state. It never happened. Sadly.

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 6:40 PM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs,
        What a shame!
        Ahhh, BBQ. When friends of mine came over and took me on holiday while I lived in Ohio, we BBQ’d nearly every day, yummy! Everything tastes so much better, meat, potatoes, veggies.
        Need to get a BBQ for my balcony… my neighbors would like that, no? It smells good with wood πŸ™‚

23. posted on May 06, 2011 at 3:50 PM  |  reply

1. Athens, Greece – hello awesome ancient history!
    2. Jerusalem
    3. Paris
    4. London – okay, already been there but I really, really want to go back.
    5. Florence, Italy – okay, been there too, but it’s my most favorite place in the whole wide world. You know, so far. πŸ™‚ And I know people there.

24. posted on May 06, 2011 at 3:59 PM  |  reply

Moscow, Prague, Athens, South America (Chile, and Peru)

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 6:01 PM  |  reply

@Derrick, Athens, Georgia? Go dawgs!

(Kidding- I know you mean Greece.) πŸ™‚

25. posted on May 06, 2011 at 4:06 PM  |  reply

1. Paris/London. Either one would be awesome to visit. But if I did go to Paris, it would be weird introducing myself…”Hi, I’m Paris. In Paris.”
    2. Chicago. I have a friend there and we have a family legend that goes way back to that city.
    3. Holland, where Corrie ten Boom lived. I would love to visit her house!
    4. Any tropical paradise. Honolulu, Bahamas, whatever. I’m not too picky (:
    5. I would love to go to P.E.I! That would be beyond awesome!

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 6:02 PM  |  reply

@Paris, One of my favorite book is about a girl named Savannah from Savannah, GA. So. It happens. πŸ™‚

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 6:37 PM  |  reply

@Paris,
      Oh yeah, Haarlem where Corrie was born is a beautiful city. Heck, all of Holland is beautiful, but then, I am biased. I think. Being Dutch and all that. πŸ™‚

26. posted on May 06, 2011 at 5:40 PM  |  reply

1. Paris
    2. Auckland NZ
    3.London
    4. Tokyo
    5 Vienna Austria
    &tons more πŸ™‚

• posted on May 06, 2011 at 6:02 PM  |  reply

@Tonya, Tokyo! Yes! I totally forgot that. And I didn’t even realize it was the Amazing Race finale, but my BFF Haley will be SO glad you connected that.

27. posted on May 06, 2011 at 5:42 PM  |  reply

Ps great post for the weekend on the Amazing Race finale

28. posted on May 06, 2011 at 6:00 PM  |  reply

Oh, this is so hard! Rome is one of my favorite cities, and I saw someone mention Cinque Terre, which is also fabulous, but since I lived in Italy 8 months, I’m choosing other places, like…

1. London – Possibly one of my favorite places on the planet. And easy access to the rest of Europe!
    2. NYC – nothing like it.
    3. Ireland – Just… anywhere.
    4. Hawaii – Haven’t been. Must go.
    5. Mykonos, Greece

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM  |  reply

@Brooke, Greece sounds beautiful. I wanna go.

29. Alexandra
    posted on May 06, 2011 at 6:12 PM  |  reply

1. Edinburgh, Scotland. Yup, that place YOU’RE going to. I was born there, and we left when I was 2 yrs old. Never been able to go back, but I waaaaaant to. (And yes, I am jealous. Very jealous)
    2. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    3. Europe. What’s that you said? Europe’s not a city? Reeeaaallyyy? I think I want to hit every major city in Europe and soak up the history.
    4. Jerusalem. Though I’m studying for a Hebrew final right now, and Jerusalem doesn’t sound nearly as appealing as it once did.
    5. London, on the 29th of April 2011. Sigh. Not gonna happen. Sigh.

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM  |  reply

@Alexandra, I think we should take a group trip to the Holy Land.

30. Tay
    posted on May 06, 2011 at 6:13 PM  |  reply

I can only pick 5?!?! Oh, how hard….

1. Paris. This is like my dream city. I have seen so many movies about Paris and read so many things about Paris. I want to go there so bad…it’s like we were made for each other.

2. Honolulu, Hawaii. Ok, well really any where in Hawaii would do. As long as it has an ocean and a resort nearby!

3. Rome, Italy. Again, I would love to get to go anywhere in Italy, as long as lots and lots of Italian food is involved.

4. New York City. I just want to be able to soak up the whole experience of New York. The lights, the shopping, the people.

5. Washington, DC. Ok, I’ve already been there, but I would love to go back and just wander around, with time not being a constraint.

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM  |  reply

@Tay, When in Rome…. πŸ™‚

31. posted on May 06, 2011 at 7:27 PM  |  reply

Wow…great question. My five would be.

Haifa, Israel
    Paris, France
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Sydney, Australia
    Madrid, Spain

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM  |  reply

@Bindu, girl, where have you been all my life? Also, Geneva. Yes.

32. Allison
    posted on May 06, 2011 at 8:39 PM  |  reply

1. Greece! Only if its just like on Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
    2. Angelsey, Wales. Only if [okay, perferably if] Prince William & Kate were my host family.
    3. [Detour to] London! Lots of history & fish&chips.
    4. Nashville. Must.meet.Taylor.Swift.
    5. Antigua! Perferably not on a group date, or competing for rose. But I wouldn’t mind if Brad Womack showed up in his swimming trunks.

This was lots of fun to think about! πŸ™‚

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM  |  reply

@Allison, I like the way you think- including Prince William, Kate, Taylor, and Brad. You speak my love language.

33. MacKenzie
    posted on May 06, 2011 at 8:52 PM  |  reply

I got the travel bug:

1. Gold Coast, Australia. Beaches and the Great Barrier Reef? Scuba divers heaven. Good thing I’ll be there in three months!

2. Santorini, Greece. It’s so pretty, its like a postcard.

3. San Francisco, CA. Not sure why, but I’ve always wanted to go.

4. Bora Bora. It’s beautiful and it’s fun to say!

5. OH goodness, I just want to see all of Australia. Outback, beaches, mountains. You name it, I want to see it. And I’m obsessed with their accents.

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:05 PM  |  reply

@MacKenzie, Bora Bora? What is this place?

34. posted on May 07, 2011 at 1:09 AM  |  reply

Hmmm…

1. Jerusalem (My hubby went there for work and met a donkey named Peter.)

2. Rome (I want to take my BFF there and watch her ooohhh and ahhhh as it’s her dream vacation.)

3. Paul’s route through Greece (because I like Paul and Greece is beautiful)

4. The greenest most peaceful city in Ireland.

5. New Orleans (I’m a Louisiana native and have never been there. Just seems wrong somehow.)

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:06 PM  |  reply

@LeeBird, I went to New Orleans for a UGA football game in 2002 (the Sugar Bowl) and it was one of the most fun times. Go there!

35. Lisa Wiggins
    posted on May 07, 2011 at 9:15 AM  |  reply

Lovin’ these Top 5 games Annie! For me, all my top 5 places relate to a book series that I LOVE. So this is sort of a combo of my top 5 places and top 5 authors/book series.

1. Edinburgh (really ALL of) Scotland – Liz Curtis Higgs’ series based on Ruth and Rachel & Leah
    2. Rome, Italy – Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers
    3. Jerusalem, Israel – Brock and Bodie Thoene’s series, Zion Chronicles and Zion Legacy
    4. London (once again, ALL of) England – hello Narnia and Harry Potter (must say I’ve been here twice but I just can’t get enough!!)
    5. Cavendish, P.E.I. – also a devout Anne of Green Gables fan (I must say, Annie, that Dave brought me back some trinkets too! And hubby and I made it to Nova Scotia last year but never made it to Cavendish – so close, yet so far away!)

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:06 PM  |  reply

@Lisa Wiggins, first of all, I owe you an email. πŸ™‚

Secondly, why haven’t we been besties before? I love the way you think. The Thoene’s series were some of my favorites in high school!

36. Merideth
    posted on May 07, 2011 at 2:11 PM  |  reply

I am with you Annie when you talk about wanting to go to places where there are people you know. I’m the exact same way! Unless I’m traveling with someone, of course.
    As someone who grew up in New England, I have to be anal and set the record straight on one thing. Martha’s Vineyard isn’t in Boston. It’s off of Cape Cob, which is south of Boston. Never been there, but would love to go. Actually, I always thought it’d be fun to go to Boston with a friend and be a tourist. When you live there you don’t really get to do much of the tourist stuff.
    Here’s my list of desired travel spots.
    1. I’d also love to go to Jerusalem, too. It’d be so cool to see in person the places we read about in the bible. It’d make it more real.
    2. Greese: No specific city. Just want to visit the country.
    3. San Fransisco: would love to ride the cable cars, and see the golden gate bridge, and if the city’s really got as many hills as I’m told.
    4. Chicago: Gotta go see Wrigley Field and have pizza in the home of deep dish.
    5. Edinburgh: Want to see the castle and what I’m told is beautiful countryside.
    6. Italy: not just Rome, but also Verona, Venice, Tuskany, Florence, and the Riviera.
    7. I also want to go to Ireland, back to Paris just for the food(chocolate moose, cheese, and bread. mmmm.), and every city that has a major league baseball park. OH, and Hawaii!
    OK, I guess I couldn’t stick to 5 Sorry for the long-winded message.

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM  |  reply

@Merideth, I would love to see Verona.

37. Merideth
    posted on May 07, 2011 at 2:18 PM  |  reply

Annie, you started me dreaming about visiting all kinds of places and I can’t stop, now!! Spain to see the running of the bulls, Lithuania where my mom’s side of the family’s from, new orleans, etc. I blame you for this dreaming girl! Thank you, by the way.

38. posted on May 07, 2011 at 5:08 PM  |  reply

Pretty much all of my dream locations have literary ties. And shockingly enough, PEI is on my top five list, too.

1) London, England – I’ve never been to Europe, and I am so dying to do.

2) Edinburgh, Scotland – Largely to see the penguins on parade.

3) Prince Edward Island – My dreams is to find my own Gilbert Blythe and live on a tiny island.

4) Concord, Massachusetts (seriously, can someone teach me a trick for remembering how to spell that) – Louisa May Alcott is one of my favorite people that I’ve never met. I just want to see Orchard House in person before I die.

5) Venice – Everything about that place is beautiful and intriguing.

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM  |  reply

@Sarah, Concord? What a great call!

Also- see you at JCCHS graduation?

39. Sarah
    posted on May 07, 2011 at 6:26 PM  |  reply

this is going to be a really long list, just to warn you.
    1.) Moscow. Ever since i read a book by Susan May Warren, i have been OBSESSED with Russia. so… yeah.
    2.) New Zealand. I saw this Rick Steves thing on it and just fell in love. i’d like to live there!
    3.) China. Because… it’s china! they have a wall you can see from space, that ain’t something you see every day.(lol) i think it would be fun to hike the great wall.
    4.)Japan. their history amazes and intriges me.
    5.) TURKEY. Again, Rick Steves fault! they have awesome food and people and i would just love to see it in person.
    6.) Rome. Who wouldn’t want to go to Rome?
    7.) Paris. I WANT TO LIVE THERE. REAL. BAD. πŸ™‚
    8.) Honestly any city this great country of ours has to offer. (i want to see the cubs play at Wringly one day.)
    9.) Isreal. There’s just something about visiting the country where my Savior was born, to walk where he walked, that i believe would just rip my heart square out of my chest. (in a good way)
    10.) Anywhere around the Mediteranian (i’m pretty sure i spelt that wrong, sorry!)
    11.) Australia. because it’s rugged and still untamed. and the accents don’t hurt either. πŸ˜‰ lol.
    12.) Scotland. because it’s scotland!
    13.) Ireland. i’m pretty sure we have family from there. way back.
    14.) Finland. Cause their really smart. i only say a news broadcast on them, but it seemed really cool.
    as you can tell, pretty much the entire world. hehe(nervous giggle)
    i should probably stop now. thanks for letting me go on and on. πŸ™‚

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM  |  reply

@Sarah, you are crazy and you better start saving up your SkyMiles. πŸ™‚ The world is your oyster, sister.

40. posted on May 08, 2011 at 11:06 PM  |  reply

The thing about visiting a place, is that I don’t want to be a tourist. I would rather pretend to live there for a day or two and really soak in the culture of the natives. However, most people think that is crazy.
    1. London and surrounding areas- to meet Will and Kate. I would also like to find a house that looks like Pemberly and reenact some scenes from Pride and Prejudice.
    2. Salsburg- just so I can dance around singing Sound of Music songs!
    3. Rome- So I can eat pasta and drink wine.
    4. NYC- to see a Broadway show! I have never been and I really want to go. I want to see Wicked on Broadway or Rent or Chorus Line or something fabulous!
    5. Paris- to eat pastries and drink coffee and look at art
    6. Prince Edward Island would be on my list too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Anne of Green Gables.

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM  |  reply

@Larissa, Salsburg! Yes!! I hear the hills are alive…. πŸ™‚ (cheesiest joke of 2011)

41. Mattox Miller
    posted on May 09, 2011 at 4:00 PM  |  reply

1. Krueger National Park-S.Africa
    2. St. Andrews
    3. Beaufort, SC
    4. Sun Valley, Idaho
    5. Islands of Hawaii

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM  |  reply

@Mattox Miller, why Beaufort?

• Mattox Miller
        posted on May 18, 2011 at 8:00 AM  |  reply

It is a coastal city with wonderful B&B, excellent cuisine,
        a Gullah culture. Romance fills the salt filled air. Perfect for a honeymoon.

42. posted on May 09, 2011 at 4:45 PM  |  reply

I’m late to the party. I’m not a well traveled person, but here are the places I would love to visit. (With the exception of Charleston. I’ve been there many times.)
    1. Athens, Greece
    2. Rome or Florence, Italy
    3. Vienna, Austria
    4. Charleston, SC
    5. Any island in Hawaii

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM  |  reply

@Southern Gal, Vienna has been added to my list as well. πŸ™‚

43. Lauren M
    posted on May 09, 2011 at 7:47 PM  |  reply

My heart went pitter patter a bit when I tried to narrow down my dream cities. One of my answers is a cop out because I couldn’t possibly narrow it down to cities. I will say that I have been lucky to get to travel to a lot of amazing places thus far in life, so these are some (not all) of my top places that I have left.

1. Europe. The entire continent. I want to spend at least a month and see Italy, Spain, Ireland, Scotland, England, Belgium, Austria, etc. I want it all. Especially London. Blame Kate and Wills for this one.

2. Santorini, Greece. I know, technically part of Europe, but for reason, in my mind, it’s separate. My brain is weird. Blame The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants for this one.

3. All of the Islands of Hawaiii, specifically Maui. Blame Christy Miller for this one.

4. Wellington, NZ. Blame LOTR for this one.

5. Prince Edward Island. Blame Anne with an “e” for this one. I came thisclose to going last fall, but plans fell through. One day, though.

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:10 PM  |  reply

@Lauren M, I think we need to take a group trip to PEI. Maybe they will give us a discount since my name is a derivative of Anne? πŸ™‚

44. Lauren M
    posted on May 09, 2011 at 11:09 PM  |  reply

PS…When you make it to Moscow, make sure you go to St. Petersburg while you’re over there. I’ve been to both and it’s my opinion that as awesome as Moscow is, St. Pete is more beautiful. So hit up St. Petersburg on the way to Moscow, girl!

45. Kristin
    posted on May 09, 2011 at 11:27 PM  |  reply

I see I’m a little late with this reply, but, well, I’m posting anyway. πŸ™‚
    First of all, what does it say about me that I only want to visit places in the U.S.? Am I boring, safe, comfortable, or what?
    Well here goes:
    1. I want to go live in a cabin in the mountains near Seattle for like a month.
    2. Charleston, SC. Savannah, GA is one of my favorite places ever…I love the people, the food and the scenery. I would imagine Charleston would be similar.
    3. The Grand Canyon. This is def on my list b/c I want to do the whole ride the donkeys and camp for like a week thing.
    4. I think Chicago would be a neat place to stay a week. I’m pretty sure I would shop-nonstop-all day.
    5. Any one of the Turks and Caicos Islands. To lay on the beach aalllll day and swim with beautiful dauphins and junk. #FunStuff

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:11 PM  |  reply

@Kristin, it means you love America. Me too. πŸ™‚

I’m dying to see the Grand Canyon.

How do I find the time to blog? Very carefully. Also, I try to write five times a week and then break on the weekends. That helps. πŸ™‚

46. posted on May 09, 2011 at 11:33 PM  |  reply

Oh and I do blog…some. How do you find the time?

47. Melissa
    posted on May 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM  |  reply

Annie— I will have to show you my Anne doll I got from PEI at the next book club. Also, I will show you my city of Providence any time. Yes, it is awesome.

posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:11 PM  |  reply

@Melissa, Yes and yes. πŸ™‚

48. Elisabeth
    posted on May 28, 2011 at 3:21 AM  |  reply

I’m reading this from Jerusalem, where I’m safe and sound…and jealous that you get to go to Scotland!

:O)

49. posted on Jun 04, 2011 at 9:04 AM  |  reply

OK so you might kill me, but I JUST watched Anne of Green Gables for the first time about a month ago. AND LOVED IT! Seriously. Can I hop in your suitcase when you go to Prince Edward Island?