TOP 5 FRIDAY: Desert island foods!

on May 13, 2011 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 38 comments by

Let’s pretend we get to go on vacation to a desert island. It’s not the dangerous type of island. It’s more like the island that Brad and Emily got to visit on one of their last Bachelor dates.

[Also. Rumor has it they broke up. Hate that. But we only talk about happy things on Fridays, so no more break up speak.]

So for this week’s TOP 5 FRIDAY, we shall think of happy things like the Top 5 foods you would pack and take on a deserted island.

[I feel like this is the right moment to tell you that once upon a time, I was on EHarmony. And one of the guys I talked to asked me to make about 10 different desert island lists. It was weird. We didn’t work out.]

So here are the five foods that I would want to take with me to a desert island:

1. Brie with apricot preserves and crackers

• I know you think I’m gonna get sick of the same cheese with the same crackers and the same preserves, but let me tell you this. I love that stuff. And if I was on an island like Brad and Emily, I would want crackers and cheese.

2. Ice cream

• I think the way I feel about ice cream borders on crazytown, but don’t tell the boys on EHarmony. I don’t care what flavor, except I would prefer cookies and cream, cookie dough, chocolate… okay. I’m stopping. This is shameful.

3. Bananas

• Here is my least favorite saying about bananas- “Have you ever seen a skinny gorilla?” meaning that bananas aren’t so good for you. But if I was on a desert island for fun [not in a torture situation or a desperate situation], I would eat a banana every morning with….

4. Homemade granola

• My friend Amber makes the most delicious granola. In fact, she taught me how to do it in these videos- Granola #1 and Granola #2. It’s delicious for breakfast and snacking and snacking. [Did I say snacking twice? Don’t judge me.] Also, on my desert island, I’ve located soy milk. So, that makes granola and bananas better.

5. The local salad from Burger Up (with grilled chicken)

• This is the most delicious salad that I have ever eaten. Next time you are in Nashville, well- first of all, you better tell me so we can hug it out. Secondly, you MUST eat at Burger Up. It’s amazing. This is a true story- one day, I went to lunch and dinner at Burger Up and both times I had the local salad with grilled chicken.

And, just because I make the rules up in here, I also want to tell you that the one drink I would love to have with me is unlimited Blackberry Izze.

. . . . . . . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What 5 foods would you like to take with you on a fun trip to a deserted island?

1. posted on May 13, 2011 at 8:20 AM  |  reply

I’m going to make that granola someday!

For me?
    1 – Waldorf Chicken Salad w/ Balsamic Vinegarette. My favorite salad in the WORLD.
    2 – Chicken burrito bowl from Chipotle. I once had this for lunch or dinner 5 out of 6 days. :-/
    3 – Guacamole and chips. If it were Chipotle’s guac and chips that’d be even better.
    4 – Chocolate Cake. I can’t decide with chocolate icing or white icing so…both? πŸ™‚
    5 – Fruit Rollups/Fruit by the Foot/Gushers. Any one of those three. Sigh. What does this say about me??

Ummm…Raspberry Sweet Tea from CPK would be my drink. But only when they put a lot of raspberry flavoring in it. πŸ™‚

Is it bad or good that we’re studying the stomach chapter in FHTF next week? πŸ˜‰

• posted on May 13, 2011 at 8:23 AM  |  reply

@Rebekah, Oh and #1 is from CPK {California Pizza Kitchen} or what I like to refer to as a tiny piece of Heaven on earth and I live their hummus! Drats! That’d be number 6…

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM  |  reply

@Rebekah, I ate at Chipotle with Jessica Turner yesterday and it was a pleasure.

2. Merideth
    posted on May 13, 2011 at 8:37 AM  |  reply

This is a tough one. So many good foods, and there is definitely the danger of bringing something you get tired of.
    1. chips and cheese dip: so addictive! When I go to a Mexican restaurant I have to make myself stop eating them because I’d never have room for my meal.
    2. Chick-Fil-a lemonaide for my drink: so so good! Really any food from there too.
    3. chocolate chip cookies: My favorite and it would take me a long time to get tired of them.
    4. fruit I’d have to bring strawberries, and to add a little variety chocolate sauce.
    5. Not sure about my fifth choice. But, maybe homemade granola too. I have a recipe that’s really good and you can change it up with different things for variety.
    My favorite ice cream is mint chocolate chip, by the way. Suddenly I’m really hungry for mint chocolate chip ice cream and chocolate chip cookies. Maybe I need to bake this weekend.

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM  |  reply

@Merideth, I love cheese dip.

3. Kristi Kay
    posted on May 13, 2011 at 9:17 AM  |  reply

We were in a small group one time when someone asked this question. My husband’s reply…”Chinese buffet, no MSG”. Not sure that’s a valid choice, but it got a good laugh πŸ™‚

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM  |  reply

@Kristi Kay, I can picture that conversation perfectly.

4. Tay
    posted on May 13, 2011 at 9:33 AM  |  reply

Saltines. {Don’t laugh. πŸ™‚ They’re good for you and fill you up and you can never get tired of them.}
    Chocolate Brownie flavored Cliff Bars.
    Ice cream.
    Pasta.
    Steak.{A girl’s gotta have her protein!}

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM  |  reply

@Tay, Steak? Get it, girl.

5. posted on May 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM  |  reply

1. Green Tea Frappuccino
    2. Chicken Fingers with McDougal’s sauce
    3. Island Banana (get it?) yogurt from Sweet CeCe’s with chocolate sprinkles
    4. A chicken burrito from Baja Burrito
    5. Mashed potatoes
    I wouldn’t mind throwing in some sort of green vegetable as a sixth option because a)I like them and b)it would probably be the healthy thing to do.

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM  |  reply

@Elizabeth, We are similar. Very very similar.

6. posted on May 13, 2011 at 10:36 AM  |  reply

Sheesh is it Friday already!? YAY! Ok here we go…
    1. Breakfast Burritos. These are my favorite food of all time and I believe I’ve had perhaps 4 in my lifetime. My love for them is so extreme, it has lead to fear of them. Because once I start I won’t stop, ya hear? And not the healthy kind either. We’re talking eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, and a hash brown. Yes Lord.
    2. Mozzarella sticks.
    3. Crab cakes.
    4. Peanut butter. A giant vat of peanut butter.
    5. Apple dumplings.

Aw, heaven. The irony would be that I would apparently be much rounder on a deserted island than I am in a world full of food. Ha!

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 11:18 AM  |  reply

@Maria, apple dumplings?!? YES. Well played.

7. posted on May 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM  |  reply

1. Unlimited supply of avocados. They go with everything…burgers, salad, salads, by themselves with salt, guacamole, etc…

2. Strawberry-pretzel salad. Sweet and salty yumminess…my birthday treat every year.

3. Wedding cake and punch. Sometimes the only reason I go to weddings πŸ˜‰

4. Fajitas from my local Mexican restaurant. Love.

5. Oranges. I can’t get enough of them!

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 11:18 AM  |  reply

@Julie, I love wedding punch. And oranges are my second favorite fruit! Yum. Great list.

8. posted on May 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM  |  reply

1. Coffee…a much desired staple
    2. Frozen yogurt…or cinnamon gelato…either way a party in my mouth.
    3. Tacos. I don’t eat a lot of them, which is probably why I love them.
    4. Green bell peppers. Gotta have something healthy and these I eat all the time already.
    5. Rice…hey, if I was stuck on a desert island, rice would be versitile enough to not get sick of it too quickly! πŸ™‚

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM  |  reply

@Mindy, I like you a lot, but I dislike 3/5 of your list- coffee, green bell peppers, and rice. But I’d be happy with froyo and tacos. πŸ™‚

9. posted on May 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM  |  reply

1 – Guac and cheese dip mixed together with chips. I had to mix as to get 4 other foods on the list πŸ˜‰
    2 – Strawberry, blueberry, banana salad. It’s sort of the GA Bulldawg of fruit medleys.
    3 – I’m with you on the ice cream. Let’s get real and just call this a dessert island.
    4 – Last Resort Praline Chicken. It’s worth a trip to Athens. And if we’re having the Praline Chicken we might as well have a piece of white chocolate cheesecake. I mean come on.
    5 – Eggs Benedict. It’s my favorite brunch item. Love it.

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM  |  reply

@Barbalicious, I’ll move with you to dessert island anytime.

10. posted on May 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM  |  reply

I would love to end up on a dessert island. Wouldn’t that be fun? (I used to always confuse “desert” and “dessert.”)

My top 5:
    1. Grapes. I love love love them!
    2. Clementines. I adore these as well. So refreshing and cute!
    3. Ice cream. Ice cream is one of my favorite things ever. I even eat ice cream in the dead of winter, wrapped in a blanket while it’s 20 degrees outside.
    4. Pizza, specifically this amazing potato pizza from a place called Snappy Tomato Pizza here in Jackson. (Yes, I know it might seem weird to have potato on a pizza, but it’s DELISH.)
    5. Queso and tortilla chips.

This is SO not the stuff I need to be thinking about while trying to lose baby weight! πŸ™‚

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM  |  reply

@erin, your list is delicious.

11. posted on May 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM  |  reply

I’m going to do two lists & you’ll see why in a min
    1. Peanut butter & fluff
    2. Kettle corn
    3. Strawberries that always stay fresh!
    4. Almonds
    5. Potatoes & sweet potatoes

List 2 IF I WEREN’T ALLERGIC to DAIRY
    1 ice cream
    2 pizza
    3 hersheys chocolate bars
    4 Jimmy Roma italian bread with BUTTER
    5 ceaser salad

This was hard annie

• Annie
      posted on May 13, 2011 at 1:21 PM  |  reply

@Tonya, I like your list of 10. Well done. πŸ™‚

12. Laura
    posted on May 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM  |  reply

I think I would rather go to a dessert island, but oh well… πŸ˜€

1) Nutella with Wheat Thins (original flavor)– really really tasty!!
    2)Pizza
    3) Raisin Bran– Not my fave, bt good for you and filling.
    4) Raisins– I could eat these all day long.
    5) Ham– Honey naked, to be exact… yum!

• Laura
      posted on May 14, 2011 at 7:23 AM  |  reply

@Laura,

I just realized I forgot a drink… I think I should take away raisins and add chocolate milk in its place. πŸ˜€

13. posted on May 13, 2011 at 3:25 PM  |  reply

Yummy Friday, but a Sophie’s Choice of food options.

1. Steak.
    2. Salad w/ my red wine vinegar dressing concoction.
    3. Cry Baby Tears. Yes, you read correctly.
    4. Fried Dill Pickles w/ Ranch from Burger Up. Best fried pickles I’ve ever encountered and I’m a bit of a connoisseur in the battered pickle dept.
    5. Grits A Ya Ya from Great Southern Cafe in Seaside. I’m serious…DIVINE.

Drink: Dr. Pepper

• posted on May 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM  |  reply

@Brooke, Cry Baby Tears? What does that even mean? Tell me more.

• posted on May 15, 2011 at 10:59 PM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs, they’re magic in a box. If you like sour candy, that is. They were all over the place when I was in jr. high and high school, but now they’re a bit harder to find, so I have to stock up when I do. It’s basically like they took the outer coating of Cry Baby gum and turned it into a tear-shaped hard candy. Much more sour than a SweetTart or Spree.

14. Sarah
    posted on May 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM  |  reply

After reading all that, i’m hungry now!
    1.) Refried beans. Because… they’re yummy and tasty and have alot of protein!
    2.) Chips and salsa.
    3.) Bageals and cream cheese.
    4.) An unlimited supply of fruits and veggies.
    5.) Chocolate cheesecake. ‘Nuf. Said.

15. posted on May 14, 2011 at 9:39 PM  |  reply

Oh. So many tough choices.
    1) Popcorn.
    2) Pita & hummus.
    3) Blueberries.
    4) Tofu stir fry with peanut sauce. So good for you and still so delicious.
    5) peanut m&m’s.

PS- I’ve been reading your blog for awhile. Of course it’s the snack post that brings me out of the woodwork, and not your deep soul-bearing entries. Oh well πŸ™‚ Keep writing, friend. You have so many good things to say.

• posted on May 15, 2011 at 10:04 PM  |  reply

@Elizabeth, So good to hear from you!

And yes! I love your choices. M&Ms are my FAVORITE candy.

16. posted on May 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM  |  reply

Since we are on a desert island, I assume I will be burning off a lot of calories trying to build a boat or running from polar bears or darma initiative peeps.

1. Mac and Cheese- because I wish I could eat this everyday and not gain 50 pounds.
    2. Ice Cream (preferably with cookies or chocolate mixed in.)- THis is my ultimate comfort food, and if I am on a desert island, I will need comfort.
    3. Peanut butter- because it goes with everything. Plus if we are on a tropical island, there are probably bananas and I love peanut butter and bananas.
    4. Strawberries- Because they are my favorite fruit on earth!
    5. Chipotle burriot bowls.- Full of good things that give you energy and I will need energy to survive on the island.

P.S. It used to be that we associated desert islands to Gilligan. I now and forever will, associate desert islands with LOST.

• posted on May 15, 2011 at 10:03 PM  |  reply

@Larissa, We would do great on an island together. I love all your choices.

17. posted on May 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM  |  reply

OMG. You’d take my granola to a desert island. You’re the best.

18. Mattox Miller