The Gold Dress.

on May 16, 2011 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 26 comments by

For you new-er-ish AnnieBlogs friends, I went to the Grammys in 2010.

Here is why I got to go to the Grammys.

Here is a recap of my trip to the Grammys.

One of my favorite parts [believe it or not] was picking out the dress. I saw it hanging on a sale rack, nabbed it, and later was told that I had the best luck ever because the gold dress was a TADASHI.

[Of course, I had no clue what a TADASHI was, and I still kinda don’t. But I do know now that it is the name that I say when anyone asks about my Grammy dress.]

I made a video about the whole dress process.

Here is a photo of the gold dress, me, and Hillary on the red carpet.

It was absolutely one of the greatest experiences of my adult life. Truly. Not because of the famous stuff or the free stuff, but because it was a once-in-a-lifetime thing. And I really like once-in-a-lifetime things.

Anyways, so fast forward from 2010 to 2011.

My dear friend Amber calls and says, “can I borrow your Grammy dress?” and I was all, “uh, Ambo [cause we call her that sometimes]- why do you need my dress?”

And before she could answer, I immediately said yes because I cannot imagine another day in my life when a stylist will call me and say that she needs to borrow something out of my closet.

Unless the photo shootย is featuring the look of “slowly catching up to fashion but still a good 5-6 years behind.” Cause I am ROCKING that look right now.

A few days later [this was in February], Amber sent me a picture on her phone and said, “DO NOT BLOG ABOUT THIS YET.”

And where was that gold dress?

ON MANDISA.

Y’all. I was dying.

MANDISA. From American Idol and a zillion other amazing performances.

So Amber was the stylist for Mandisa’s photo shoot for the new album What If We Were Real. And Amber had Mandisa wear my dress.

A dress I picked out all by myself.

Now that you can google and see a picture of Mandisa in my gold dress [MY GOLD DRESS!!], I have permission to blog about it.

Good gracious doesn’t Mandisa look great in that dress!?! Her skin tone is perfect for it [vs my pale self] and the gold/blue/brown glimmer is stunning on her.

Also. She loved it. She tweeted about the gold dress. And I just had to sit quietly and squeal in my mind.

This is the proudest fashion moment of my life.

And I can say that with humble assurance, because I am currently wearing jeans from Old Navy and a Georgia Bulldog t-shirt [and matching socks] that I purchased in 2005.

You’re welcome.

1. posted on May 16, 2011 at 6:55 AM  |  reply

How about that? I think I would have recognized the gold dress as yours. It was beautiful on you and it’s beautiful on Mandisa.

Look at you. Your “connections” list is growing. So fun!

• Annie
      posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM  |  reply

@Southern Gal, you are sweet. And I wish it was a connection- I would LOVE to be friends with her.

2. Susan
    posted on May 16, 2011 at 6:58 AM  |  reply

Girl, you looked like a diva in that dress. You’re stunning anyway, but you just showed the world who they were dealing with that night. Love you, Annie!

• Annie
      posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM  |  reply

@Susan, thanks friend. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Tay
    posted on May 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM  |  reply

Haha wow that’s awesome Annie! I wasn’t here for the Grammy experience, but I went back and read about it and I am kind of really jealous! And I love Lady Antebellum! Everytime I see them perform on TV {like their AMAZING! performance on Idol!!}, I think of you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Annie
      posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM  |  reply

@Tay, they are awesome.

Also- I met someone today named Tay and I said, “OMG, I love you! I love when you comment on the blog! I knew we’d be friends!” and I kept going and going and going and… it wasn’t you. Oops.

4. posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM  |  reply

Oh. My. Stinkin’. Word! I am jumping up and down for you!! That’s so amazing and wonderful!! I am just so excited for you!! I can’t stop using “!!!!” ! It’s just THAT exciting!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Annie
      posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM  |  reply

@Michelle, it’s hilarious, right? At least the dress has gotten more than one wear.

5. Laura
    posted on May 16, 2011 at 2:21 PM  |  reply

Oh my gosh!! That is soo incredible! I love Mandisa!I also loooove Lady A… you are soooooooooooooo lucky!!!

• Annie
      posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM  |  reply

@Laura, I love Mandisa too! She’s a big fan of Zumba and so I am. We were born to be friends. Maybe someday… ๐Ÿ™‚

• Laura
        posted on May 17, 2011 at 6:25 AM  |  reply

@Annie,
        I love Zumba too!! I play the videogame, like, everyday. I hope you can be friends with her someday, too.

6. Sarah
    posted on May 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM  |  reply

Wow. I just got lost in the archives.
    One thing i want to tell you before i go on, is that if you ever get discouraged about your life, just start looking at what all you’ve done. You’ve lead a good life (the part that you’ve blogged about). Your lucky. Wait, BLESSED. You are blessed. I don’t know everything, i can’t, of course, but you are difinitly blessed. Remember that.
    Anywho. Back to the post at hand.
    That. Is. So. AWESOME. Mandisa wore your dress!!! I would pee my pants if that were me!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!

• Annie
      posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM  |  reply

@Sarah, you are so sweet. Thanks, girl. And yes- I am super grateful for the path the Lord has given me. It’s not always easy, but it’s always mine.

7. posted on May 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM  |  reply

THIS was fabulous. I laughed out loud, and I totally related. I started recently running my own project (http://nakateproject.com) that’s half in the design/fashion world and I totally freak out every single event. WHAT DO I WEAR!?

• Annie
      posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM  |  reply

@Shanley Knox, you need an Amber. Maybe you are your own Amber? ๐Ÿ™‚ Do you read Man Repeller? She’s hilarious.

8. posted on May 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM  |  reply

That is so cool!! I think Mandisa owes you a thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Annie
      posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:11 PM  |  reply

@erin, right? I think she should decide to be my BFF. BFFs are totes supposed to share clothes.

I’ll keep you posted. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. posted on May 16, 2011 at 7:36 PM  |  reply

Annieblogs, you are the coolest chick that I pretend to know. ๐Ÿ˜‰ So stinkin’ awesome.

Hope to see you at the Jax graduation!

• Annie
      posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:11 PM  |  reply

@Sarah, I’ll be there! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Melissa
    posted on May 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM  |  reply

oh man on man!!! I used to work for the GRAMMYS and left my career a couple years ago to be a better mama. I lived for my work… Seeing these pics makes me miss it all!!! So glad you got to go! It really is amazing.

Anyway, the reason I logged on to your blog today was that I am planning a young women’s conference and we wanted to have a resource table. I would love to feature your book somehow. Can we chat via email? The conference is tentatively on October 8th. Hope to hear from you soon!

• Annie
      posted on May 16, 2011 at 10:13 PM  |  reply

@Melissa, Just emailed you. Thanks!!!

Being a mama is WAY cooler than the Grammys. Seriously.

11. posted on May 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM  |  reply

Um, this is awesome. I laughed out loud at Crema when I read: Unless the photo shoot is featuring the look of โ€œslowly catching up to fashion, but still a good 5-6 years behind.โ€ Cause I am ROCKING that look right now.

12. posted on May 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM  |  reply

Awesomeness! That’s so cool (:

13. Liz
    posted on May 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM  |  reply

I just squeeled a little too! ๐Ÿ™‚ Great story.

14. posted on May 21, 2011 at 10:29 AM  |  reply

This is one of the best stories ever!! Love it!!

15. posted on Jun 01, 2011 at 9:31 PM  |  reply

dang, girl. that is AMAZING! what a crazy fun thing…