TOP 5 FRIDAY: Favorite movies!

on June 17, 2011 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 79 comments by

I love Top 5 Fridays… it really gives us some lovely insight into each other’s lives. And into each other’s diets, free time, and things we enjoy watching or doing.

What I’m saying is, every Top 5 Friday is like a date. Sorta.

A friend date. With lots and lots of other people participating.

So…. things just got weird.

My apologies. We don’t have to talk about our dating lives anymore.

Let’s talk about our Top 5 Favorite movies! [And, I’m going to take this a step further. I’d like to be eating snocaps and drinking a coke icee. You’re welcome.]

This is not an any particular order… except the order I wrote them down. Subconciously was I listing them? Maybe. But we’ll never know.

. . . . . . . . . .

1. Pride and Prejudice

Why?: I like the short one more than the long one, for starters. I love the outfits, the soundtrack, and the time when she spins around in tire swing. I love it all.

Favorite scene: This one time when I was kinda hanging out with this guy, I was watching this movie and RIGHT when everyone disappears from the dance floor but Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth, he called.

It remains my favorite scene even though that boy did not remain my favorite.

2. Dead Poet’s Society

Why?: I saw it the first time in 8th grade when we were doing the play A Midsummer’s Night Dream. I loved Robin Williams in this movie and I really enjoyed seeing the inner workings of a boys school…. something I would never otherwise. πŸ™‚ This movie moved me and made me want to be a better teacher.

Favorite scene: The part with A Midsummer’s Night Dream. The dude who plays Puck was an absolute genius.

3. You’ve Got Mail

Why?: New York. Children’s bookstore. The internet. Daisies. Meg Ryan sitting on the floor of her bedroom eating a bowl of soup. I can quote this movie better than any other.

Favorite scene: When Joe Fox brings the little kids to the bookstore for storytime.

4. Mary Poppins

Why?: I think it is the songs. And Julie Andrews. And the way the movie inspired me to be a really stinkin’ good nanny. Also, as a 30 year old who still babysits from time to time, I have finally learned in the last two years how she is able to love those kids and still fly away.

Favorite scene: I always used to pretend to have a a boat on my roof like the neighbors, so that’s a good part. Also, when they laugh and float to the ceiling. I would love for that to happen.

5. Tommy Boy

Why?: Really? You have to ask? Then you need to watch it again.

Favorite scene: Yes. It is. Ok, seriously. I’ll try to think of one… when the car door falls off? When the M&Ms slide across the dashboard? When they go cow-tipping? I laughed heartily when I saw the movie in 1995 and I have laughed every time since.

. . . . . . . . . .

YOUR TURN!

What are your favorite movies? Favorite scenes? Favorite snacks?

1. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:08 AM  |  reply

My top 5 Favourite Movies:
    Empire Records – sooo many cool quotes. I think we watched it every time we had a sleepover (which was most weekends) in the late 90s.
    Muppets From Space – it’s fantastic! Best soundtrack, funny one-liners, muppets…what more could you want?
    Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (the new one) – I love the colour, the oompa loompas’ songs, the randomness & of course Johnny Depp!
    The Castle – Australian humour, we’re so funny… Classic movie!
    Enchanted – Mostly I love the bit where the rodents help clean the house & the park scene! I so wish people just burst into choreographed song all the time.

• posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

@Kaye, I *almost* put the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on my list too!!

• posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs, πŸ™‚ I almost put Mary Poppins on my list, so we’re even.

• posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM  |  reply

@Kaye, Empire Records rocks! I’m pretty sure I still have most of it memorized.

• posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM  |  reply

@HopefulLeigh, same! ‘What’s with you today?’
        ‘What’s with today today?’
        Love it.

• ohlookaduck
      posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM  |  reply

I *love* The Castle! One of my all time favorites as well.

• posted on Jun 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM  |  reply

@Kaye, Love this blog. I am a fan of your A lister column in Susie mag! Would you be willing to check ou my new blog at http://www.projectpaperie.blogspot.com. It has crafts and inspiration. Thank you so much and keep up the great work.

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:10 AM  |  reply

@Gabrielle, Hi Gabrielle! Thanks so much! I love writing for Susie.

Your blog is so cute. Can’t wait to see what other craft ideas you come up with!

2. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:57 AM  |  reply

I may be influenced by my children who watch movies over and over again until I just have to love them. I see we have a couple in common again.

1. Pride and Prejudice – My favorite scene will always be Mr. Darcy coming across the field at sunrise. The music is to die for. Sidenote: My daughter had cellos at her wedding and wanted “Liz on Top of the World” played for her entrance. (That’s the one where she’s standing on the cliff on the way to Pemberley.) It didn’t happen, but there’s not a time I hear that music and don’t picture my daughter walking down the aisle with her daddy.

2. Anne of Green Gables – The green hair scene is one of my favorites along with Matthew in the store trying to muster up the courage to ask for that dress with puffed sleeves for Anne. So sweet.

3. The Quiet Man – When Sean Thornton drags Kate Danaher across the Irish countryside attracting hordes of people along the way to where her brother is working, of course. “Marquess of Queensbury rules.” This movie caused me to fall in love with Ireland. I was already in love with Maureen O’Hara and John Wayne.

4. The Princess Bride – “As you wish.” “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya…” So many great quotes. Such a funny movie. My now 9yo acted it out all the time when he was about 7.

5. I’m already to five? Well, Roman Holiday, To Kill a Mockingbird, You’ve Got Mail, The Sound of Music, Sense and Sensibility, Second Hand Lions, Band of Brothers, Legends of the Fall, Toy Story, Les Miserables (the old, old version in French), and all the others will have to tie for fifth place.

This was fun. Thanks for reminding me of my favorite movie scenes.

3. Eleanor
    posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:27 AM  |  reply

My top 5:
    1) Seven Brides for Seven Brothers–
    Why? It is a musical from the 50s…can’t get any better than that. Plus, Russ Tamblyn was mighty handsome back in the day.
    Favorite scene: The barn dance scene probably. Some of those moves are just so much fun to watch, especially when they pull out the ax. Oh and the “Sobbin’ Women” scene when they kidnap all of the women.
    2) Dream Team
    Why? Where else can you see 4 crazy people lost in New York while trying to protect their doctor from being killed?
    Favorite scene: Too many to count. I absolutely love when Peter Boyle’s character starts singing “Hit the Road, Jack” in the back of the car on the way to N.Y.
    3) Benny & Joon
    Why? Johnny Depp is absolutely hilarious.
    Favorite scene: All of the scenes where Johnny Depp’s character does Charlie Chaplin-esque tricks. Especially the dancing bread one.
    4) While You Were Sleeping
    Why? Peter Gallagher is my old-man crush (as is Peter Boyle). It is just such a sweet and hilarious movie.
    Favorite Scene: I love when Peter Gallagher’s character wakes up from the coma and starts listing off the things he remembers and singing the ABCs.
    5) Return to Me
    Why? I doubt this movie would be nearly as funny without the 4 old guys. Their scenes are the best!
    Favorite scene: Any scene with the 4 old men.

• posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM  |  reply

@Eleanor, I have only seen one of your movies… which gets me excited to watch the other 4! πŸ™‚

• Dana Hampton
      posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:03 PM  |  reply

@Eleanor, We don’t know each other, but we are kindred spirits. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is one of my all time favorites!! The Barn Dance scene is the best!

• Eleanor
        posted on Jun 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM  |  reply

@Dana Hampton,

Yes it is!! I could watch that scene a hundred times and never get sick of it πŸ™‚

4. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 7:48 AM  |  reply

Here are my top 5…

1- Little Women. I don’t even have a favorite scene. I love every, single second.
    2- The Sound of Music. Same as #1. Love it all.
    3- Sleepless in Seattle. My favorite scene is when they meet at the Empire State Building of course!
    4- Anne of Green Gables. I want to be Anne.
    5- A Beautiful Mind. Absolutely fantastic.

5. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:23 AM  |  reply

1. Say Anything. Boom box over head outside of the window? yes, please.

2. Stranger Than Fiction. Someday, I hope someone brings me flours.

3. Penelope. James McEvoy kisses her at the end and I stop breathing for just a second. (The same could be said about Becoming Jane, when he shows up at the dance and surprises her.)

4. Elf. You sit on a throne of lies.

5. Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium. Magic. Pure magic. Especially when I watch it with my students every year. (You’re already hired, mutant. There’s no need to show off.)

• posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:37 AM  |  reply

@Jennifer, I want to see Penelope and Mr. Magorium. Two that I have always wanted to watch..

• posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs, Please put both on your to do list immediately. Especially Penelope. If you work with young girls, you (and they) need to see it.

6. Melissa
    posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

Pride and Prejudice. Your number 1 is my number 1. I went on a Jane Austen weekend recently and had to defend this version fiercely…everyone else was a fan of the long version. I love everything about the film. It just soothes me.

Also, Southern Girl, I am getting married in a few months and am also hoping to have “Liz on Top of the World” as my prelude music. I have the sheet music for the whole score…we shall see.

Other favs of mine:

WHen Harry Met Sally
    Sixteen Candles
    Band of Brothers (I know, it’s a mini series, but whatevs)
    Dan in Real Life

• posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:39 AM  |  reply

@Melissa, You heart the 80s, and I like that about you.

LOVE your wedding plans!! Hope it takes your breath away.

7. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:36 AM  |  reply

Great faves, Annie. I love Tommy Boy, it’s still one of my favorites from my college days, and Dead Poets is an alltime fave too. But my top 5 are:

1. It’s A Wonderful Life (yep, a christmas movie trumps all other movies)
    2. The Princess Bride
    3.The Breakfast Club/Pretty in Pink (did I just put two Molly Ringwald movies into one? Yes, yes I did).
    4. Sense and Sensibility
    5. The Goonies

I didn’t want to stop at 5, but I restrained myself. There are many, many more favorites.

• posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:40 AM  |  reply

@kara, Sense and Sensibility is a favorite of mine too.

8. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM  |  reply

1. You’ve Got Mail. Meg Ryan sitting on the floor eating soup! I can’t pick a favorite scene–when she’s sick and he brings her daisies, or when they meet in the park.
    2. Christmas Vacation. I laugh out loud at that movie every year. That and Elf. There are way too many funny scenes/quotes to pick just one.
    3. Stranger Than Fiction. When he brings her a box of flours.
    4. Finding Neverland. I love how the children from the orphanage are put in the audience to see the play.
    5. Lars and the Real Girl. I’ve only seen this once, but it’s so sweet.
    Favorite movie snack: buttered popcorn and a vanilla coke.

9. Emily
    posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM  |  reply

Okay, this post made me cry! Where, you might ask, amidst all the fun and movie talk? At Mary Poppins. You talked about how being 30 and babysitting taught you how Mary Poppins could leave and still love the kiddos … and whoah … tears. I’ll be moving from Washington, DC, to Birmingham in a few weeks and I’m leaving behind one of the most precious families I have been ever been blessed by God to know. You wrote a long time ago about how special it is to love a family and I thought to myself – yes, it is! These two little girls and little guy and their parents have stolen my heart in a big way and are at the VERY TOP of the list of why I’m terribly sad to leave D.C. despite all the good things I know lie ahead in Birmingham. And anyway … the way you said it made me go “yes … that’s it!”

Anyway … on to my list!

1. You’ve Got Mail. Where to begin? I think my dream in life is to open a children’s book store! I love it all, but my favorite scene is where Birdie tells Kathleen closing the store is the brave thing to do because she’s “daring to imagine she can have a different life.” I’m right there right now in my life and I LOVE it.

2. Sound of Music. This movie will always be one of my favorites. I’ll never forget the first time I watched this movie with my grandfather – happy memories!

3. The Way We Were. I cry every single time I watch this movie. My favorite scene is where Hubbell is on the boat and he can’t name one single favorite year …

4. Pride and Prejudice. For all the reasons everyone else has already posted.

5. Pretty Woman. I’m guilty -I have loved this movie since the first time I ever saw it in like 9th grade w/ my mom {she fast forwarded through all the rated “R” scenes!} My favorite scene is when she’s in the red dress and they are walking out of the elevator!

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:12 AM  |  reply

@Emily, I was in The Sound of Music in 10th grade. Still one of my best performances. πŸ™‚

10. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM  |  reply

Lord of the Rings.
    Star Wars. (I guess I like epics. And roguish men. Hehee…)
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Stranger than Fiction.
    Runaway Bride.

Although I have to admit that You’ve Got Mail comes in VERY close. SO good.

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:12 AM  |  reply

@Dani, I haven’t seen the last of the LOTR trilogy- which is your favorite?

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs, Say it isn’t so! Return of the King is beautiful and epic and meaningful and all that… but The Two Towers is my fave. πŸ™‚ Their friendship makes me cry, the scenery is epic and I just fall in love a little more every time. If you need to get into the story a bit more, though, I suggest you read the books. Very folk-lorey and fabulous. πŸ™‚

11. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM  |  reply

1. Pride and Prejudice- Annie, I wholeheartedly agree with your choice of movie but it HAS to be the long BBC version. Two words: Colin. Firth. It doesn’t get any better than that.
    2. Good Will Hunting- I saw it on my 17th birthday and remember being overwhelmed with love for this movie created by then unknowns Damon and Affleck. One of Robin Williams’s best roles.
    3. While You Were Sleeping- Your heart just goes out to Bullock’s character as she falls in love with the other brother.
    4. Once- the music, the love story, swoon.
    5. Invictus- So well done. I never realized how much I didn’t know about Nelson Mandela and all he did for his country.

Honorable mentions: Empire Records, Zoolander, Billy Madison, Mansfield Park, Reality Bites, Ferris Buehler’s Day Off, The Breakfast Club, 27 Dresses, Shawshank Redemption, Finding Forrester, etc.

Christmas: Elf, White Christmas

• posted on Jun 19, 2011 at 8:07 PM  |  reply

@HopefulLeigh, Wholeheartedly agree with the BBC version vs the new one.

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:13 AM  |  reply

@Julie, Girls girls girls. Colin Firth is great, but you have to set aside EIGHT HOURS to watch him. Sometimes worth it. Not always. πŸ™‚

Invictus I love.

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs, But you don’t have to set it aside all at once. If you want to, you can get a couple hours of Colin Firth a night for almost a whole week = worth it πŸ˜‰

12. Tay
    posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 12:25 PM  |  reply

1) The Blind Side. Such an inspirational movie. Its one of the few movies that make me wanna cry.
    2) You’ve Got Mail. Ok, I love this movie too! I just adore the Shop Around the Corner. One day when I go to NYC, I want to visit all of the landmarks from the film.
    3) Father of the Bride: Part 1 and 2. Steve Martin is hilarious in this and I love the wedding planners. One of my friends has actually visited the house from this movie!
    4) Thr Princess Diaries 1 and 2: Don’t you just love watching movies about princesses! From the moments I watched the first movie (I was like 7), I was dying for te sequel to be made!
    5) High School Musical 1, 2, and 3. Ok, I kind of am embarrassed for actually putting this on the internet, but how can you go wrong with spontaneous singing and dancing! For the record, I haven’t seen any of these movies for like two years. πŸ™‚

13. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM  |  reply

This is fun!
    1. Confessions of a shopaholic
    2. Beauty & the beast- fave scene: when the beast shows belle the library and she scrolls around on the ladder
    3. While you were sleeping- in the hospital when the family hears she’s his fiancΓ© & the say “no wonder he kept her hidden”
    4. My best friends weddings- when Jules in crying & says she’s pondscum
    5. Legally Blonde- where has is introducing herself to the study group & says, this is my fave quote ever “whoever said orange was the new pink is seriously disturbed”

Snacks: kettle or ice cream or brownies. Really anything with chocolate πŸ™‚

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:14 AM  |  reply

@Tonya, Confessions of a Shopaholic stressed me out… and I’m not even a shopper! πŸ™‚

14. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM  |  reply

1. Any Jane Austen movie! I recently watched Emma and loved it!
    2. Fiddler on the Roof. I love musicals πŸ˜€ And it’s a sweet love story and Daddy’s girl movie
    3. Pollyanna. I’ve grown up watching this movie. I love the small town look.
    4. It Takes Two with the Olsen twins. Food fight? Heck, yes!
    5. The Emperor’s New Groove. It’s hilarious! And it has llamas (:

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:15 AM  |  reply

@Paris, Pollyanna was a family classic. Well loved when I was growing up as well.

15. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM  |  reply

Yay! Top Friday is back!
    My favorite movies:
    1. Sound of Music. I love the whole thing, but mostly the first time the Captain sings Edelwiss (sp?) It always makes me cry.
    2. Fiddler on the Roof. Especially “If I were a rich man”. And Tevye’s supposed dream. Tevye is just hilarious.
    3.The Lord of the Rings… I just love this story, and the fact that the movie makes the books come to life rather than trying to “improve” on them.
    4. Pride and Prejudice. The long, BBC version.
    5. Legally blonde… I think this is because Elle WOods is so totally the opposite of who I am.
    I also really enjoy Dead Poets Society, The Emperor’s Club and Mr. Holland’s Opus (probably bcs I’m a teacher), and Disney’s Mulan (strong women, yes!) and Beauty and the Beast, and I love Shrek 1, 3, and 4. (2… not so much)

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:15 AM  |  reply

@Alexandra, The original Shrek is one of the wittiest movies ever.

16. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:03 PM  |  reply

Oh! I forgot Sleepless in Seattle! I freakin LOVE that movie. I’ve decided that my dream proposal will be on the Empire Sate Building on Valentine’s Day. I would love to see You’ve Got Mail. Meg Ryan is such a natural actress, plus she’s gorgeous.

17. Maria
    posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:28 PM  |  reply

Yay movies! Ok Annie, no groaning at my number 1. PINKY SWEAR!
    1. Titanic. And yes, they are re-releasing it in theaters next year for the 100th anniversary. If I can’t successfully convince my husband to take me to Ireland for the week-long festival, I will at least be at the theather.
    2. Wicker Park. The music is fabulous, but the story is incredibly fascinating. Humans are weird, but we ALL are, which makes life interesting.
    3. The Departed. I know that’s not very girly of me, but seriously, that is such a perfect movie. Intrigue, mystery, love, crime, Boston accents…
    4. Ratatouille! I had an emergency appendectomy in Colorado on an internship a few years ago, and my now-husband (then-bf) flew out from Ohio, bought me the movie, and we watched it. Also I love Paris.
    5. The Return of the Jedi. SO GOOD!

18. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:01 PM  |  reply

1. Basically any version of Pride & Prejudice. Long? Keira Knightly? Mormon? Bollywood? Yes, yes, and yes.

2. Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium is magical. You must see it!!

3. Enchanted. Love all of it. My (now) husband even used songs from there when he proposed because he knew how much I love it. And bought me yellow flowers.

4. 101 Dalmations was always my favorite Disney movie growing up. I watched it over and over and over, much to the chagrin of my brothers!

5. It Happened One Night, a perfect “old” movie.

19. Dana Hampton
    posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM  |  reply

1. Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. My husband won’t let me name our future son Gilbert. I can’t even pick a favorite scene.

2. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    The Barn Dance scene is my favorite.

3. Calamity Jane
    I am a huge Doris Day and Howard Keel fan. The best scene is when Calamity and Katie sing A Woman’s Touch

4. Hairspray
    I’m not afraid to admit that Zac Efron makes me swoon.

5. The Sound of Music
    My favorite scene is when Maria is about to walk down the aisle. I cry every time.

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:17 AM  |  reply

@Dana Hampton, Well, you know how I feel about Anne. I think she’s my friend even though she is fictional.

20. Anna
    posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM  |  reply

The movies mentioned are so great I won’t repeat them. But I did want to say the great thing about free will – we are allowed to love both versons of “Pride and Prejudice!” Each has wonderful qualities.

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:17 AM  |  reply

@Anna, You are very diplomatic, Anna. πŸ™‚

21. ohlookaduck
    posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:32 PM  |  reply

What a fun list!
    1) Rory O’Shea–James MacAvoy in anything is good, but this one is spectacular, in my opinion.

2) The Castle–“You can’t *buy* what I’ve got!” So many, many lines.

3) Pride and Prejudice, certainly, but my favorite is the Lawrence Olivier one. We love the mother–“did you say ‘chicken broth’? Well, perhaps with a very great effort…” And the Bollywood version. Is there any better music?

4) The Scarlet Pimpernel–one of the best of the best. We used to watch it every single day for months. My kids don’t mind repetition, evidently. Neither do I when it’s that good.

5) Cheaper by the Dozen (old black and white). The books are hilarious and the movie is almost as good.

5.1) Finding Nemo, Finding Neverland, Anne of Green Gables, Lark Rise to Candleford. Sigh. Can you make it a top 10 list next time?

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:18 AM  |  reply

@ohlookaduck, I’m intrigued by your list…. look forward to watching some of these for the first time!

22. Beth
    posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM  |  reply

Nos one and two are really competing for first place but I think I would have to go for:
    1) The Sound of Music, a strange part of me still wants to be a nun thinking about this film
    2) Out of Africa, the music, the scenery, the very lovely Robert Redford…
    3) La Vie en Rose, even with the aubtitles
    4)Airplane, surely you can’t be serious? it cracks me up every single time
    5) The King’s Speech, probably because I’ve just seen it
    Think I might have to go and watch Airplane right now.:)

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:19 AM  |  reply

@Beth, uh! The King’s Speech is a new favorite for sure.

23. posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM  |  reply

#1, #3, #4 These are why we’re friends.

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:20 AM  |  reply

@LoraLynn, And the fact that you have really cute kids that I love to be around. That helps.

And the cake thing. You make cake. I eat cake. Amen.

Love to you.

24. posted on Jun 18, 2011 at 12:29 AM  |  reply

1. Father of the Bride
    I never, ever get tired of watching this movie. So sweet.

2. While You Were Sleeping
    Such a cute love story, and I love when movies are set around Christmas or include Christmas scenes. I also live in Chicago and this movie makes me love the city even more πŸ™‚

3. The Parent Trap
    Surprisingly, I like the Lindsay Lohan version of this movie. Everything about it is just good.

4. Back to the Future
    Classic.

5. My Best Friend’s Wedding
    I have a lot of girly movies on my list. I just like happy endings!

I do also love You’ve Got Mail and Tommy Boy, even though they weren’t on my list. And I really enjoyed reading Pride & Prejudice but I’ve never seen the movie. After reading everyone’s lists, I’m convinced I need to see it ASAP!

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:21 AM  |  reply

@Rachelle, I’m fascinated by your choice of the Lohan Parent Trap. Though I will say my friends Lyndsay and Laura can do the twin high-five dance thing perfectly.

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 11:28 AM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs, I think it was her first movie, so it was before things got crazy. Haha.

And Annie, you get 5 stars for responding to every person’s comment. That is just awesome πŸ™‚

25. Merideth
    posted on Jun 18, 2011 at 9:43 AM  |  reply

First of all, which version of pride and predjudice are you saying you like? I only saw the one that came out a few years ago. Tommy Boy, I haven’t seen but I’m thinking I need to check it out. The rest of your movies, I totally agree with. I actually just watched dead poets society a couple of weeks ago, and it reminds me of the kind of positive impact I want to have on people’s lives. You’ve got Mail is great too, and I like sleepless in seattle along with that one. My top 5 are:
    1. Father of the Bride 1 and 2; I love Martin Short’s caractor the best, and the movies are so swee they make me cry every time.
    2. Good Will Hunting; Might be because I’m a counselor, but I love this movie. OH, and I’m from Massachusetts, which is where this takes place.
    3. Major League; OK, you probably have to be a big baseball fan to like this one, which I am. The language’s pretty lousy, but it’s a really funny movie, and for a long time my favorite team(the red sox) were a lot like the team in this movie. Years without a championship.
    4. Christmas Vacation; favorite Christmas movie. Just too funny.
    5. Phantom of the Operah; This is actually my favorite musical and I’ve seen it on stage a couple of times, and I was so excited when they made it into a movie. I like musicals.
    6. top gun; love a lot of Tom Cruise’s earlier movies, and this was one of the best. I like the music in it, too.
    There are a lot of other good movies out there. ; star wars and lord of the rings, cinderella(favorite fairy tale), aladin, steel magnolias, bed of roses, Brave Heart, The Patriot, and many more.
    OH, and I love snow caps at the movies too!

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:21 AM  |  reply

@Merideth, I was terrified of Phantom of the Opera when I saw it at The Fox in middle school. I should probably watch it as an adult. πŸ™‚

26. Tiffani
    posted on Jun 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM  |  reply

1) Grease
    2) Forrest Gump
    3) When Harry Met Sally
    4) Titanic
    5) The Sound of Music

27. Laura O'keefe
    posted on Jun 18, 2011 at 6:27 PM  |  reply

1. Christmas Vacation: my family
    2. Steel Magnolias:I love when Julia Roberts says she would rather have minutes of wonderul than a lifetime of ok
    3. Pride and Predjudice: is a sad movie. reminds me of sad times in my life.
    4. You’ve got Mail- I love happy endings
    5. American President- I love happy endings.

28. Mama Downs
    posted on Jun 19, 2011 at 6:55 AM  |  reply

1. New “Pride and Prejudice” and BBC version. Love the short one when I just need to escape but sometimes I just need the full BBC version, especially now that they have restored it.
    2. “Emma”, the 2009 BBC version
    3. “North and South” 2004 BBC from the book by Elizabeth Gaskell
    4. “Sweet Home Alabama”
    5. Just about any John Wayne movie except “Cowboys” and “The Shootist.” They have something in common I do not like but won’t spoil the plots.

29. Mattox
    posted on Jun 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM  |  reply

1. Driving Miss Daisy-for the humor and the friendship of 25 years between the main characters.
    2. Secretariat- for the inspiring story
    3. Anything with Julia Roberts:
    Stepmother, Pretty Woman, etc.
    4. Shaw Shank Redemption: Good vs. Evil and even an accountant can have a heart
    5. The Notebook

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:24 AM  |  reply

@Mattox, We have totally different lists, but I absolutely agree with you.

30. posted on Jun 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM  |  reply

1. Return To Me – Just love the story, and I love the scene where the old guys start the music and start dancing inside. My family would totally do that.

2. Pride & Prejudice, BBC Version – Favorite book ever so why wouldn’t I like the movie. Plus, this version takes time to develop the characters. Love it.

3. While You Were Sleeping – Sandra Bullock is one of my favorites. Love the dinner scene where there’s like 50 conversations going on all at once. My family would totally do that, too.

4. The Prince & Me – Love Julia Stiles, too. But seriously, who doesn’t want to fall in love and then find out he’s a prince and you’re going to be queen. Seriously. Also, love the lawn mower races πŸ™‚

5. We Were Soldiers – I’m mainly putting this one one so I don’t look like such a girl, but I really do love it. Definitely don’t want to watch it every day, but great movie.

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:24 AM  |  reply

@Julie, I’ve never seen The Prince and Me. Sounds awesome.

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 8:18 AM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs, I think you’ll probably love it πŸ™‚

31. Kristi Kay
    posted on Jun 19, 2011 at 8:59 PM  |  reply

1- Good Will Hunting – that’s the first time I can remember coming out of a theater and thinking, “wow…I just saw a GREAT movie”.
    2 – The Family Man – we watch it every Christmas.
    3 – Murphy’s Romance – Sally Field, James Garner…I have always loved this movie.
    4 – Where the Heart Is – again, just always been drawn to it for some reason.
    5 – The Majestic – it makes me love movies. And I want to live in that town πŸ™‚

• posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:25 AM  |  reply

@Kristi Kay, I love Where The Heart Is mainly because 1) she has a baby in a WalMart and 2) the tornado scene. It’s the only Natalie Portman movie I like (that I can currently recall). πŸ™‚

32. posted on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:04 AM  |  reply

Top five movies…in no particular order.

1. “Forever Young” The love between Mel Gibson’s character and his love make my heart swoon. Mel Gibson’s eyes are astonishing because of the blue denim shirt he wears for much of the movie. Elijah Wood was adorable. Favorite scene is when the old woman drops her basket when she sees the love of her life who she thought was dead.

2. “Dave” This movie is one I will watch over and over. I love the thought of an “everyman” getting in the White House and making things better. Favorite scene is when the First Lady tries to sing “Tomorrow.” She’s so bad it’s cute.

3. “My Life” I first saw this movie when I was pregnant with my first son, but didn’t know it yet. I bawled my head off in the movie and then bawled some more in the car. My hubby thought I was nuts. I love the thought of a terminally ill parent wanting to give his unborn child a piece of his heart by filming messages.

4. “The Wedding Singer” Love the sweet love story and the hilarious 80’s references. Favorite scene is on the plane when he sings a love song over the intercom.

5. “Beaches” I <3 Bette Midler. I love the story of an unlikely friendship that stayed true til the end despite up's and down's. Favorite scene is any parts where Bette sings.

Alright…LeeBird over and out.

33. Val
    posted on Jun 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM  |  reply

Your friends/readers have good taste.

I’m a reader (and friend to Annie P, sister to Ginger C) but have never commented before. But all you had to say was MOVIES and I am here! πŸ™‚

1. A League of Their Own- Does it get much better than this? I think not.
    2. Almost Famous- I seriously think this is a Perfect Movie. I could watch this movie every single day and still love it.
    3. Lord of the Rings- So big, so epic. So much wonderful.
    4. That Thing You Do- If you’ve seen it you will not question its inclusion.
    5. Moulin Rouge- Dazzling, sweeping, fun, wondrous… This is what Movies were meant to be.

Honorable mention: Singin in the Rain, Sense and Sensibility, Titanic, Little Women, The Notebook, Waiting for Guffman, Clue, Return to Me, Sweet Home Alabama, The Sound of Music, Pride and Prejudice, Up, You’ve Got Mail. Okay: I will stop now.

• posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:25 PM  |  reply

@Val, So glad you popped in to say hi! πŸ™‚ I used to WEAR OUT the That Thing You Do soundtrack. Great reminder. πŸ™‚

Your honorable mentions are well, honorable. Well done.