Taking a little off the top.

on June 22, 2011 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 30 comments by

Of New York state that is! We’ve driven approximately 300 miles in 26 hours and we could have given New York a buzz cut with our straight line across the state.

Here are the highlights so far:

1. I was sitting in the hallway of an office in Rochester when I hear one woman say to another, “so we’re headed to Nashville this weekend. Know anywhere to eat?” Yep. My jaw hit the floor. I was all, “oh sheesh. Do I go admit that I heard a conversation that I wasn’t invited to BUT share very vital information that could change this woman’s Nash-experience or do I just keep sitting here quietly?”

Well.

I think we all know what happened next.

I made two friends in the Rochester office and now they know the very ins and outs of my town.

I should make commission from the city of Nashville for that one.

[Then I invited her to hang out with us in Nashville this weekend. Too far? Maybe. But she was really nice. I’m sure my friends will like her.]

. . . . .

2. My friend Esther has never been to the USA and because I am my father’s daughter, I insisted that she get some local fare. So we pulled into a diner in the smallest town we could find and the fact that every person in the place knew each other meant we were at the right place! It was delicious.

Esther has pancakes. I had a biscuit and gravy. I dare you to blame me for that choice. You know you would have done the same.

. . . . .

3. I love that Starbucks are consistent. It’s like taking your favorite blankey on every vacation.

. . . . .

4. I am in Canada. At Niagara Falls. And no one warned me of the casinos and silly people. But they are all here- waterfalls, slot machines, grown men in tight shirts and spiky hair. A lot of spiky hair.

Esther and I both had set our hopes too high on the ole Falls. I mean, don’t get me wrong, they pour a lot of water. But they are a bit smaller than I expected. None the less, I was thrilled to see them in real life.

. . . . . .

5. I’m glad we’re only staying in Canada for one day because OMG HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LIVE WITHOUT MY CELL PHONE?!? I forgot that things would change here until I got a text that said something like, “Hey Annie. It’s gonna cost a billion dollars if you call someone and just a million if you send a text.” So I turned my phone off.

. . . . .

6. I’ve taken a handful of pictures, but the other problem in Canada is that my internet is weird so I’m going to have to upload them later. Because I’m sure you’re waiting with bated breath to see pictures of falling water and then pictures of me in front of falling water.

. . . . .

7. Upstate New York is unbearably beautiful. If you’ve never driven the backroads of this part of the country, I highly recommend it. Esther and I have had multiple jaw-dropping moments. Also, hilarious, I say things like, “look at that old house!” and she’ll say, “that’s old???” because the houses are built in 1900 instead of, you know, 1200 like the UK has to offer.

And then I remember that our “history” is awesome, but not so much “old.”

. . . . .

Between now and Thursday night, we see Buffalo, Utica, Albany, and everything in between. If you know of any must-stop places of highlights or good restaurants or good ideas…

share on, my friend.

1. posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:18 AM  |  reply

I’ve never been to that part of the country so I’m living vicariously through you. I think it’s wonderful that you shared your Nash-know-how with the woman.

2. posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:03 AM  |  reply

Annie,

I am from upstate NYC actually grew up in Albany. If you guys can swing it you should drive through Saratoga Springs, its about 45 minutes north of Albany, its a really pretty town. And there are great restaurants there.

• posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM  |  reply

@Bindu, We’ll totally try. Thanks, girl. You are so NY. πŸ™‚

• posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:12 AM  |  reply

yep, thats me a poster child for the state of NY.:) Enjoy your trip, its always so pretty up that way!

3. posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:50 AM  |  reply

I have no experience with upstate New York, except for an interesting, memorable week spent at a dude ranch in Kerhonkson. But don’t rush to put that on your itinerary!! Ha!

Bummer about the falls though! I’d love to see them someday! ENjoy your trip!

• posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM  |  reply

@Laura, I used to love the show “Hey Dude” on Nickelodeon, so I actually would probably enjoy it. πŸ™‚

4. posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:14 AM  |  reply

hi annie! (: sad i didn’t get to meet up with you, but you’re so sweet for even trying!

my friend’s family owns ohlson’s bakery (8500 sheridan drive, buffalo). their chocolate decadence is one of the best things i’ve tasted in my life. so serious. every road trip needs good desserts right?!

• posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM  |  reply

@sarah, I HATE that it didn’t work out. πŸ™ So sorry.

Yes! Bakery! TOTES!

5. Merideth
    posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:43 PM  |  reply

I spent a month in ontario canada several years ago, and one of the weekend trips was to niagra falls. I didn’t go, though, and always kind of wished I had. I also had the worst time with my internet when I was there, so I feel ya on that one. Sorry, but I can’t make any suggestions for new york. I’ve been up that way only once in my life, and my parents and I were just visiting a family we knew and went to the son’s high school graduation. So, we didn’t really go anywhere worth sharing about.

6. posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:49 PM  |  reply

What a wonderful read. I feel like I am touring alongside you and Esther :0)Enjoy every minute!!!

7. posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM  |  reply

Upstate New York IS indeed beautiful! I was born in Oswego {right on Lake Ontario and near Utica}. If you are able, you MUST MUST MUST go to Rudy’s. It’s right on the Lake and has THE MOST amazingly scrumptious seafood. Like fried fish sandwiches and then you add this yummy chili stuff on top. Seriously awesome. Seriously. πŸ™‚

• posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:11 PM  |  reply

Utica was cool. We liked it.

8. posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:54 PM  |  reply

Annie, I’ve lived in Upstate NY my whole, although I’m movie to TX in a few weeks, iM glad you love my state πŸ™‚ I laughed when you talked about it’s beauty & all the old things but I guess if you’ve never seen it it’dbe beautiful with the rolling hills- you should see it in the fall!

I live nearer the PA border, so I don’t have many resteraunts for you but have fun! Keep us updated

• posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM  |  reply

Um. I should probably warn you. The weather between upstate NY and TX are a gazillion times different. Amen. πŸ™‚

9. posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM  |  reply

ANNIE, I just remembered the National Soccer Hall of Fame is in Oneonta, NY!!! It’s a little out of the way though, the shows it’s 80 miles southwest of Albany & about 80 miles south of Utica. If you have time you’d probably love it though, I remember going πŸ™‚ also in Oneonta is Brooks BBQ. My neighbors just went there last week.
    The Baseball hall of fame is in Cooperstown, just up the road from Oneonta.
    And if you stop in Syracuse there is Dinasour BBQ, I’ve never been there but people have always raved about it.
    Lake George is spectacular too, it’s about an hour north of Albany

• posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM  |  reply

Oh girl.

I wanted to go real bad. I mean real bad. You know this. It just didn’t work out. Whah whah.

And we ate at Dinosaur BBQ. LOVED it.

10. another Sarah
    posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:42 PM  |  reply

Annie – just found your blog. I love giggling through it. I saw it already up a bit on the ol’ comments here but I second the Saratoga Springs (It’s on I-87). There are great parks (Congress Park is my fav) and a super old restaurant called Olde Bryan Inn (123 Maple Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866). The food is way yum and everything is old and cool and the floors creek when you walk on them. And by old I mean American old (1770ish). Lake George is another cool little town but it’s about 30 minutes up I-87 from Saratoga.

• posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM  |  reply

I’m gonna need to make a return trip for sure.

And welcome to the ole blog! Glad you found it. You are so welcome here, Sarah!

11. posted on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM  |  reply

a list for your list….
    1. Niagara Falls is definitely idealized in my mind after watch the wedding episode of The Office (do you watch?) And all I can picture is Jim and Pam on the boat!

2. Utica….again another office reference, but I am sort of stuck on that.

3. I love love going on road trips just to discover all the small places that make up our great country. Once, driving from Florida to Kansas, we came across a Kansas, Alabama…how can we not make a detour to stop. There were other detours, but most were unintentional because of a 1996 Road Atlas used in 2006.

Have fun!

• posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:17 PM  |  reply

It was a great trip.

12. Lindsey
    posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:11 AM  |  reply

Speaking of all that…
    my husband and I are going to Nashville in July to celebrate our first anniversary!

I’m taking suggestions. πŸ™‚

• posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:15 PM  |  reply

I’ll send you an email. I have lists upon lists of things for people to do.

I’m sure that will be overwhelming and not that helpful at all.

You’re welcome.

13. Anne
    posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:45 AM  |  reply

upstate NY! YAY! i grew up near albany. here are my favorite pit stops:

1) stewart’s. it’s a gas station, a convenience store, an ice cream shop, what else do you really need?

2) friendly’s. they’re everywhere. easy food (burgers, sandwiches) and lots of ice cream.

3) saratoga is definitely nice if you have time to sneak up there. cute little shops and restaurants downtown.

i’m a complete stranger and would totally be gushing like you did in rochester if we were having this conversation in person πŸ™‚

• posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM  |  reply

I kept meaning to get ice cream at Friendly’s. I’ll have to save that treat for next time. πŸ™

14. Laura
    posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 3:57 PM  |  reply

I live in upstate NY, so I am used to it, but I have not seen the falls. I really wanna see them!! You are so lucky, even tho you didn’t think they were all that cool. some things in NY that i love are:
    1) aubuchon hardware- best hardware store ever.
    2) stewart’s i love their ice cream.
    3) idk wht else we have that you don’t… haha πŸ™‚

• posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:22 PM  |  reply

I totally thought they were cool! Just a wee bit smaller than I pictured. But still cool. Zillions of gallons of water pouring constantly for thousands of years is awesome, no matter how you slice it. πŸ™‚

15. posted on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs,
    Haha, Amen!

16. Mattox Miller
    posted on Jun 26, 2011 at 9:43 PM  |  reply

Go to the town of Woodstock. It is worth the side trip and worthy of a daughter of a former hippie.