TOP 5 FRIDAY: Carry on.

on June 24, 2011 in Scotland, TOP 5 FRIDAY with 22 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

When I went to Scotland in January, I was super-dee-duper prepared to lose my luggage. [It happens.] My carry-on had a full change of clothes- long and short sleeves, and the incidentals one might need [I’m being ladylike and not saying “undies,” but you knew what I meant, didn’t you?], my makeup, an apple, my computer, a spare tote bag so that I could pull it out in the Amsterdam airport, and many other things. Pretty much, it was a not-so-mini-suitcase.

Every.single.thing in that bag was strategically placed there as an item that would serve me better in my own hands than checked under the plane.

Just to remind you, my flight went like this–>

Nashville –> Atlanta –> Amsterdam –> Edinburgh

Then. THEN.

The Delta lady behind the counter in Nashville, from now on known as Donna Delta, looks at my carry-on and says “Yeah, we’re going to have to check that to your final destination.”

EX. CUSE. ME!?!? I immediately teared up. [Because Dear Internet, I strategically packed that bag. Don’t mess with my strategies, Donna Delta.]

I said, through teary eyes, “I’m traveling to Edinburgh. That is SCOTLAND. Could someone just traveling to Atlanta check their bag and mine fly with me?” Because doesn’t that make a ton of sense? Me thinks so.

Her response?

“No ma’am. [Fake politeness is actually rude, Donna Delta, I thought.] You have 5 minutes to pull out what you need and then I’m checking the bag all the way to Edinburgh.”

And then I pooped my pants.

Not really. But a little.

Grateful for that spare tote, I pulled it out and picked just a few items that were TOP priority and then shook my head in disgust as I watched Donna Delta send my bag to Edinburgh.

What items did I actually consider a NECESSITY?

Not counting my purse [wallet, passport, cell phone, etc.], here are the TOP 5 things I wanted to carry on my flights:

1. LAPTOP : I know that seems a bit obvious, but true none the less. I knew I’d be feeling internet-deprived by the time I got to Amsterdam. [Issues. I have them.]

2. REAL SIMPLE MAGAZINE FOR JANUARY : See, I have this weird thing about only reading a Real Simple in the month that it is for [January in January even though it is delivered in December] and it had taken all the willpower I could muster to hold off reading it until January 15 and Donna Delta wasn’t going to ruin THAT for me.

3. BIBLE/JOURNAL : I don’t even remember if I used my journal, but trust me when I say that no one deserves to lose their journal to a TSA representative. Good reading? Maybe. Major embarrassment for the rest of my days? Definitely. So this was more of a self-defense thing than a I-am-quite-holy thing.

4. TOILETRIES : You don’t want to know what happens to my skin when I fly. Fine. I’ll tell you. Greasy McGreaserson. It is nothing short of unattractive. So having some face help with me is necessary. Also, I saw my parents in Atlanta and cried my makeup off, so that was awesome and mature. I was glad I had my facewash. Amen.

5. DECK OF CARDS : I didn’t touch them one time. It was a mistake. A regret made in the heat of the moment. I thought, “what if I get bored and have finished my magazine and just want to do something mindless and how do I feel this strongly against Donna Delta?” and so I grabbed them. Dumb dumb dumb. Were I do to it over again, I would have left them in the carry-on that got checked to Edinburgh against my wishes.

Forgive me for choice #5. But at least I was honest. That should count for something, right?

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

When you pack a carry-on for your flight to anywhere [local or international], what five things do you HAVE to have with you?

. . . . .

**shout out and thanks to my bestie Betsy for helping me choose the TOP 5 FRIDAY topic for today. Now she has to comment… we wait patiently, Bets. You are the Queen of the Carry-On.**

1. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:35 AM  |  reply

Sadly, I’ve never flown…or not so sadly.
    Anywho I would probably choose a laptop (if I had one)or some other internet source (if I had one), my Bible and study materials, my make-up bag, my crossword and sudoku puzzles, and the book I know I would have packed in that carry on.
    Thanks. Now I’ll know exactly what to pack in a carry on if evah I take a flight.

• posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:24 AM  |  reply

@Southern Gal, Crossword/soduku are a great idea. Def packing those in a few weeks.

2. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:24 AM  |  reply

1.Computer
    2. A hodge podgoe of make- me- feel better- that -I am- 30,000 feet in the air and not gonna die music selection.
    3. A bottle of water b/c I get chronically parched on a plane; thus self inflicting multiple bathroom visits upon myself.
    4. Mints so my breath doesn’t knock me or anyone else over
    5. Bible,books,etc
    6. Anti-bacterial wipes. Germ phoebe:)
    Happy FRiday! Lindsay

• posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:24 AM  |  reply

@lifelivedfully, Anti-bacterial wipes? Ok. I can hear that. πŸ™‚ Worth the space for sure.

3. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:35 AM  |  reply

My carry-on is usually packed like yours was BEFORE Donna Delta got her hands on it. I believe in preparing for all eventualities. But since airlines are getting fussier and fussier…
    1. Toiletries. 3 mini gooey products in a ziploc bag :P, and other necessities.
    2. 2 books – 1 fiction, 1 non-fiction. 1 is probably not enough, I might (as in will-most-definitely) want a change.
    3. A fresh t-shirt. Because the one I’m wearing will probably stink by the time I get to wherever I’m going.
    4. Chewing gum or some kind of candy. I have issues with my ears.
    5. Baby wipes. I discovered the awesomeness of baby wipes after having my own little ones and realizing that they are the most useful product ever. Esp. because I do NOT like to have to go to the airplane porta-potty just to wash my face and hands.

4. Morgan
    posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:52 AM  |  reply

1.laptop…mostly cause it’s expensive and I don’t want it to get jacked. not so much because I use it all the time.
    2. books/bible/journal…I always have big plans to read while I’m flying, but for some reason I never actually read much of what I hauled in my bag. they still get back, though. cause maybe one day I’ll change my ways.
    3. full make-up bag…cause I’m vain. minus anything that could be considered a weapon. like my eyelash comb. cause I could definitely hijack a plane with that thing.
    4. a pack of crackers…I have a strange fear of starving to death. I take a pack of crackers with me everywhere I go. I like food. sorry bout it.
    5. my baby pillow…don’t judge me. I mean it’s really just a small pillow which I happen to have slept with since I was a child. it has traveled across the world with me. I don’t dare bring it out on the plane for fear of being ridiculed, but I would have a breakdown if it got lost so I have to carry it with me. yes, I’m 30 and I still sleep with it. I’m single…leave me alone…I need something to hold onto.

5. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:11 AM  |  reply

1. laptop. Not so much because I’ll use it, but because I don’t want to risk losing it or having it damaged.
    2. book/journal. I read like crazy on a plane…if there aren’t any good movies.
    3. toiletries, including motion-sickness medicine.
    4. socks. A friend gave me this tip years ago. Normally, I wear flats or flip flops flying (for easy security passage), so my feet get cold on a plane. Socks are an instant comfort.
    5. sweatshirt/jacket. For use as a blanket or pillow or, you know, a jacket.

6. Merideth
    posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:22 AM  |  reply

This is hard because it depends on where I am going. I honestly have never thought to make sure I have a change of cloths just in case my bag gets lost, but I’m going to remember that. I actually, if I’m going for a short trip, make sure I only have a carry on bag because I don’t want to pay for a checked bag, or deal with baggage claim. But, here goes.
    1. music; Most important is my ipod. I have to have something to do on the flight and I can’t read regular books or magazines, of course, so I have to have my music.
    2. kindle; this is a new one for me because I just got my kindle, and haven’t traveled with it yet. But, I’m pretty sure I’d want to make sure I have it on the flight with me. Although, it’s hard to hear books on flights, but I’d still take it with me.
    3. cell phone; kind of a given, but I have to have it with me.
    4. jewlery; Whatever jewlery I’m taking on my trip I put in my carry on because I really don’t like the thought of me loosing that if something does happen to my bag.
    5. sweater; actually, I just carry this on the plane with me. I have to have a sweater or sweatshirt because it is always cold on the plane.

I used to make sure I had a bottle of water and snack, but the last time I tried to take a bottle of water through security they took it from me. So, that doesn’t work anymore. If I am traveling with my lap top, it always goes on the plane with me because I can’t afford for it to be lost or broken in the traveling process.

7. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

Let’s see …

1} my laptop
    2} my camera, lenses, etc
    3} iPhone packed with music and games
    4} undies, a change of clothes
    5} as many little toiletries I can fit in as many little baggies as I can pack into my pack πŸ™‚

8. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM  |  reply

I make sure my carry on fits the regulations and pray they don’t want to check it anyway! I travel back & forth to Kenya and this is always what is in my carry on and backpack.
    1. laptop
    2.Ipod
    3.camera (these 3 because I don’t want them stolen – I might also include some DVDs with the computer.)
    4. 2 books to read
    5. a change of clothes rolled small & some small toiletries

I also tend to carry in my backpack (my purse item :}) a travel pillow and thin blanket for long cold airport layovers along with my passport, money and medicine that I might need for a couple of days. Sometimes in England they only let you have 1 carry on (even a small fanny pack has to go in it or be checked) so I try to have space in my regulation carry on to cram that stuff in if I need to. Sorry, I know this is longer than others, but it is what I do πŸ™‚

9. Tay
    posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM  |  reply

1) A change of clothes. Enough said.
    2) A Teen Vogue. I never read magazines in any other circumstances, but it’s like a necessity on an airplane. And somehow I always forget to actually bring a magazine, so I have to pay like $5 for my Teen Vogue in the airport.
    3) Gum and other snacks. Mostly to keep my ears from popping.
    4) My camera. You can take some beautiful pictures out the window of a plane.
    5) My iPod. And it has to be filled to the brim with entertaining apps, music and videos. I get bored easily. πŸ™‚

10. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM  |  reply

1. A good book…a must!
    2. My ipod…which I don’t typically end up using but just in case.
    3. I like having my tolietries with me so that if I have a layover I can brush my teeth, tend to my hair and feel a bit more refreshed before having my friends greet me at the end when I’m feeling all gross.
    4. Of course, my passport
    5. And maybe a second book option or a small, healthy-ish snack.

I try to keep it fairly simple when I travel!

11. Tammy H
    posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM  |  reply

Hmm…..Let’s see, I’ve made more than 40-50 TWENTY-FOUR hour flights in the past 13 years….. So…. I’m speaking from lots of experience, a.k.a.(lots of mistakes).

1. Laptop (no-brainer)
    2. Kindle (loaded with books for those unforeseen hours waiting on the tarmac for the ash cloud to clear or the 12 hour for-no-apparent reason delays).
    3. Snacks, lots of ’em
    4. Toiletry Bag
    5. Don’t tell anyone this, what with me being a missionary and everything, but I always take the latest People Magazine. I mean, seems terribly unspiritual right? But I can’t help it, I literally look forward to flying sometimes so I can catch up on the world of entertainment. Ha.

12. Betsy
    posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM  |  reply

I do love to carry-on.

But before we get to the real deal let’s talk about pre-packing… I find Kansas’s “Carry-on my wayward son” to be very inspirational when packing my carry on. In fact I think the line “don’t you cry no more” is in reference to never losing your luggage. Right? You’re welcome.

But for international flights when I HAVE to check a bag. I make sure to have the usual… ipod, books, gum, snacks, gossip mags, sleeping aid (sue me), AND (my must have) face cleansing wipes. ‘Cause there is nothing worse than starting a trip with a giant pimple.

13. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM  |  reply

Ok, I don’t travel much, and by much, I mean, I’ve been on one plan in 5 years. But here’s my essentials for carry-on:

1. Pillow
    2. Gum (helps those ears when popping)
    3. Snacks (I’m a picky eater and I get hungry often)
    4. Jacket/Pullover (nobody likes to be cold)
    5. Dramamine or the like… nobody wants to be the one with the barf bag. (especially when flying into Central America and your pilot is dodging mountains to get to the runway)

And, completely off task but in a its-a-small-world-after-all moment, I just realized that my best friend (initials L.A.M.) used to live with you in Nashville (and I actually stopped by your blog in 2009 per her request in reference to a Puppy shower) but I came over from (in)courage just recently. Woah, that is way complicated.

14. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:15 PM  |  reply

I rarely fly with my laptop so my list goes like this:
    1. Camera
    2. 1-2 books, depending on how long the flight is and possibly a magazine
    3. Contact case and glasses- this came in handy when my contact freakishly popped out when I was stowing my carry-on and we sadly couldn’t find it.
    4. Cardigan to keep warm on the plane
    5. Undies, change of clothes

15. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM  |  reply

I would agree with most on this. When I pack my carry-on, I try to be the most prepared so far.
    1. Laptop (for those long pesky layovers where I sit in a corner and people watch while pretending that I have important worky things to do.)
    2. iPod- (I usually have a song picked out as we fly into someplace, so that I can have a movie moment.)
    3. A big juicy book to read so that I will pleasantly pass the time of travel. Especially if I am traveling by myself.
    4. Food- protein bar, cheerios, something to stave off the need to buy expensive airport food.
    5. Bible/Journal- because…what sort of Christian would I be if I didn’t add that in….but more for long flights when I have time free of other media distractions provides good time to read and think.

My runner ups would be…
    cardigan for changing temps,
    change of clothes just in case
    gum
    camera
    water bottle

It depends most of the time where I will be traveling.

16. posted on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:52 PM  |  reply

Five things this is a tough one.

1) Ipod
    2) a good book
    3)a change of clothes
    4)gummi bears
    5)those face wipes, you know the kind that take off your make up.

17. Mattox Miller
    posted on Jun 25, 2011 at 10:02 AM  |  reply

1. id
    2. lipgloss, mascara, blush and eyemake up remover
    3. Fortune and People magazine
    4. cash
    5. notepad and pen
    6. phone and camera

18. ~VA~
    posted on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM  |  reply

well it changes slightly depending on where I’m going…and since I rarely fly anywhere I am taking this as in my backpack for a trip of any sort…necessities:
    1. play-doh. I do not go anywhere w/o it b/c it is something I can easily put in my hands to keep from hurting myself.
    2. pencil bag w/ some assortment of pens/pencils/colors etc.
    3. journal
    4. a folder–I HATE when papers are at all bent so a folder is a necessity
    5. at least one extra zip-lock bag. You never know when you’re going to need one.

19. reader...
    posted on Jun 27, 2011 at 1:59 PM  |  reply

unrelated comment, but wondering if I’m just stupid and all the videos for your book are quite obviously on youtube or if you stopped after chapter 8?? Just wondering because I was preparing for chapter 9 and can’t find the video…no hard feelings if the videos do not exist yet past chapter 8…the book is SO GOOD even without any videos!

20. posted on Jun 27, 2011 at 10:06 PM  |  reply

1. Laptop
    2. Kindle
    3. Face cleanser
    4. Change of clothes
    5. Toothbrush & toothpaste

I don’t like feeling gross, especially when I’m around other people πŸ™‚