Be lifted high.

on June 28, 2011 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 44 comments by

Sunday at church, we sang this chorus over and over again.

In my life, be lifted high.

In my world, be lifted high.

In my love, be lifted high.

And I cried. [I know you are shocked. Because hello I cry like other people breathe.]

Two weeks from today I land in Scotland and I’ll be there for five months.

FIVE MONTHS.

In my life…

My life is changing so much. At my BFFroomie Laura’s birthday on Saturday, I had my first goodbye. And it broke my heart. I moved out of the house the next day and I’m staying with a family until I leave. I’m not brave. I’m worried that so much will happen while I’m gone. I’m missing weddings and engagements and breakups and babies and life.

I know it’s just 5 months. I know it’s an amazing opportunity. I know I know I know.

But it’s not free.

My friend Skip says I have ATMS Disease- “Afraid To Miss Something” – and I’ll tell you what. My ATMS is RAGING right now. Absolutely raging.

And Sunday morning, when I sang, “In my life, be lifted high…” I thought of my friends and the ATMS and the lives that will keep on going without me. And I thought about how, even though it feels like a major sacrifice to leave my people, I want God to be lifted high in my life- and I think Scotland is where that happens this fall.

In my world….

As we sang, I thought of Scotland. And Cape Town. And Costa Rica. And France. And Prague. And all the places where people I know and love are serving God. And I thought of my little world– the girls who read my book, the friends [you!] who read my blog, my friends, my family.

God has given each of us a world. You have a world. I have a world. And I want God to be lifted high in my world.

In my love…

I just love my people. I know you love your people too. I love the little ones that make me laugh and I love the big ones that make me laugh. I love my Marietta people and my Nashville people and my people in the USA and my people in other countries. And I think God puts that in our hearts as a way we can worship Him. The Bible even says that when we care for other people it is like we are caring for Jesus. (Matthew 25: 31-46)

So I sat in church thinking of how I love my church, my pastor, my friends who sit around me, and I thought about how loved I feel in that place.

And I told God how much I feel Him lifted high in that place.

In my life, be lifted high.

In my world, be lifted high.

In my love, be lifted high.

We’ve sang that chorus for years. And yet, this Sunday, it broke my heart and changed me.

. . . . . .

What is your favorite worship song?

1. posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:15 AM  |  reply

These are my two fav worshipt songs at the moment:
    Forever Reign http://youtu.be/JRBQtIEEkrU
    & Revelation Song http://youtu.be/_fsrQFWb-xc
    So excited for you and your Scotland adventure! I am in the middle of planning a similar adventure to the other side of the world. eeek scary, but exciting! I look forward to reading all about it!

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:42 AM  |  reply

Love both of those songs. Great choices.

Get it, brave girl. Plan that adventure then DO IT. πŸ™‚

2. Face
    posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:27 AM  |  reply

“But it’s not free.”
    Highlight of your post. Don’t you wish you could just scream that at every well-wisher?! [obvious issues here :)]
    I pray that, because it’s not free, you would SEE & KNOW the Lord’s purposes in your time away. That the ‘not free’ would still be worth it. Abundantly and over-flowingly worth it.

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:44 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Mel.

Also. How’s Prague in October? I think I want to see for myself. πŸ™‚

3. posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:10 AM  |  reply

When I was reading your posts, I thought “Opportunity costs”…and I saw it as a verb and as a noun….

Annie Downs, I love your joie de vivre…even when you cry. I don’t think you have any idea the pile of madlove I have for you :).

(and I’m stalling ’cause I cannot remember the name of the worship song that breaks me, but every time I hear it I’m a puddle….)

xo

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:44 AM  |  reply

Love you, Robin. Thanks for your always encouraging words. Seriously.

4. Tay
    posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 9:06 AM  |  reply

I love that song! We sing it a lot at our church and I almost cried when I first heard it too! And im not much of a crier!

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:45 AM  |  reply

It’s so good.

5. Elizabeth
    posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

I love your blog Annie! I also have been suffering from ATMS syndrome for about 5 years!

“Sing to the King” always gets me and I’m a sucker for a powerful old hymn during worship!

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:45 AM  |  reply

YES. Christy Nockels singing that song is amazing!

6. posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM  |  reply

Annie,

Ok so I cried while I was reading this. I definately suffer ATMS after I left DC.

Praying for you, Scotland is going to be amazing, not always easy of course, but amazing. Can’t wait to see all that God does.

Worship that always gets me,Hillsong’s From the inside out.

7. posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 10:18 AM  |  reply

ATMS! Love that. Loved this post too. I can’t wait until the end of the year when you recap everything that will happen in the next five months.

I absolutely love the song Bindu mentioned, “From the Inside Out” (Kristian Stanfill’s version is my favorite). But my go-to worship song for the past few years has been Hillsong’s “Mighty to Save.” This will sound uber-nerdy, but I listened to it on May 1 of last year, when I climbed on the treadmill more out of shape than I’ve been in my adult life. I put the song in the middle of the mix – at the place where I knew I’d want to quit. Since then, I’ve shot past even the weight I was hoping to get to. So much changed in my heart between now and then. The other day that song came on my iTunes – and I lost it. I’m in a different run now – one that has nothing to do with physical fitness. I was [–] that close to quitting. The song helped me turn my eyes back toward the end goal and GO. It’s a very sweet reminder of God’s faithfulness to me.

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:47 AM  |  reply

Atta girl, Natalie. Beautiful story. Thank you for sharing.

8. posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM  |  reply

Oh, I have some hardcore ATMS also. My mom always said that’s why I stay up so late at night and it’s also why I blog EVERYTHING.

I am currently LOVING Blessings by Laura Story. All time faves though, it’s just way too hard to narrow it down.

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:47 AM  |  reply

Laura Story ruins my life in a good way. Know what I mean?

• posted on Jun 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs,
        Oh, I totally know what you mean. And in absolutely the best way. The way that God desires for us to be ruined so we know how much we need Him. Just like the song says. πŸ™‚

9. Merideth
    posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM  |  reply

You made me miss Riverstone, girl. I really need to get over to Cobb for a visit. I haven’t had a church home since I was there that made me feel so loved, and I’m now searching for a new church home in Fulton county. I hear ya on the ATMs because I’m the same way. I sware we should have been twins. Well, we are sisters in Christ. When do you leave Nashville to head to ATL?
    One of my favorite worship songs is I think called indescribable. It doesn’t break me every time or anything, but I love the images it creats in my mind of God’s creation. It’s the one that talks about”from the highest of highs to the depths of the sea, creation’s revealing your majesty. From the colors of fall to the fragrance of spring, every creature unique in the song that it sings…Indescribable, uncontainable….” I just love the lyrics.

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

That is a GREAT song.

I leave Nashville next weekend and then fly out Monday.

10. posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM  |  reply

The song that always makes me cry is “Blessed by the Name”… Every.single.time
    And yes, people look at me wierd.

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM  |  reply

He gives and takes away. Amen to that.

11. posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 1:52 PM  |  reply

I definitely have ATMS as well. Perhaps that is why I check my email so often. When I was little, I hated having to go to bed when my older siblings were awake, because I would miss something.

However, God has taught me that just because I miss something it doesn’t mean that I am love people less or I am loved less by them. It just means that God wants me to be present where I am at and be okay and content in that. I am learning that everyday.

My favorite worship songs…How He Loves, and Be Thou My Vision.

Will you still be blogging from Scotland?

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM  |  reply

Oh girl. I will DEFINITELY be blogging from Scotland. Don’t you worry about that. πŸ™‚

12. posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 2:51 PM  |  reply

Totally made me cry today with this one. I know how you feel. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with all the love I have for people, and I feel so lucky just to get to feel love.

My fav worship song is A Mighty Fortress is Our God. I love the line “a sacred refuge is His name.” Sometimes, when I’m not feeling brave, saying his name makes me alright again.

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:54 AM  |  reply

I need to hear that song again. Going now…

13. Erin
    posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM  |  reply

Annie, I related to this so much. I’m moving right now too, away from good community and it freaks me out (and excites me). Thanks for sharing, I love that “syndrome,” I definitely have that!

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:57 AM  |  reply

You are brave, Erin.

14. posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 8:15 PM  |  reply

The song that’s been getting me lately is The Greatness of Our God by Hillsong. It makes me cry just about every time!

I’m excited for all that Scotland holds for you, Annie!

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:57 AM  |  reply

Thanks, girl. πŸ™‚

15. Sarah
    posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM  |  reply

Your Love is Strong –

The first time I heard this song I was on a rock cruise and we were in the middle of a worship service looking out over God’s beautiful ocean just thinking how wonderful it is to know that even in the middle of nothing there is still someone with you. Then, I went to Nashville to hang for the weekend with my friend Melissa and her church had this song in the service again. It was at the perfect time in my life where I knew that God was there and “why do I worry, why do I freak out, YOU are all I need”. Such truth!

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM  |  reply

Two of my friends had that song sung in their wedding and it made us ALL cry. It was beautiful.

16. posted on Jun 28, 2011 at 10:41 PM  |  reply

Well, all I have to say is my favorite worship song is “Let My Love Open Door”. Don’t judge, just listen πŸ™‚
    You can wait around Nash Vegas or M-town for all the ‘events’ to pass before you do something totally wonderful (which you my friend are all about) but then you’ll be like 93 and Scotland might be a bit more of a challenge. I promise, you’ll come back way different and, yes, you’ll have missed an event or two, but for the most part, I think you’ll find home unchanged. You’ll be the event that has been missed. Love you.

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:16 AM  |  reply

I’m going to listen now.

Thanks for your kind words. You know me well. Love you too.

17. posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 12:15 AM  |  reply

I think back to when you first moved to Nashville and how you were ATMS in Marietta. With each post I could see how you were growing in the place you were planted. Scotland is no exception. Sure, you’ll miss things, but you won’t miss what God has for you. And I’m waiting with bated breath to hear just what that is.

One of my favorite songs ever is Beautiful Scandalous Night by Leigh Nash and Bebo Norman.
    Not necessarily a worship song, but I fall at His feet everytime I hear it.

• posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:16 AM  |  reply

I love that song too!

And yes- what an amazing reminder of my move to Nashville. Thanks.

18. posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:47 AM  |  reply

I think within us is good and bad fear…fear of missing something,fear of am i doing the right thing,fear of is my life gonna be what i thought is was..

.what is beautiful about your heart is that A) you recognize it which gives you freedom from it B) whenever you give God the reigns of your life whether going to Scotland or making some other kind of decision that is big and often uncomfortable are when God truly gets to play the role He longs to.. to be Lord… to be lifted high above all else that fights for our hearts. Reigning over your life. My life. All of us.
    Love this post and your genuine nature…authenticity reflects light the most. And you got it..:)
    Lindsay

• Annie
      posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:23 AM  |  reply

You are too kind. Thanks so much.

19. posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:51 PM  |  reply

the coach driver on my trip in the UK had another name for ATMS – FOMO (pronounced foe-moe) – fear of missing out.

When I’m sad about leaving a place and people behind, I can’t help but to find joy in that too because I realize how much I’m blessed – how much God’s given me if its this hard to leave it or miss it.

but love where you are.

• Annie
      posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM  |  reply

Good word.

20. shireen eldridge
    posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:37 PM  |  reply

So I cried…thanks…I needed a good one. And you spurred me to just sit and worship for awhile…and it was good. Annie, I LOVE your abandoned heart for Jesus…so inspiring to me…as always! I love you and will be praying for you.

• Annie
      posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM  |  reply

Love you too, Shireen. Long for the day when we live in the same town again.

21. Sarah
    posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:46 PM  |  reply

Run to Him when you feel scared or anxious. He knows you better than you know yourself, and won’t judge when you tell Him “Daddy, i’m scared.” He’ll get it.

My favorite woeship songs are How Great is Our God, Your Great Name by Nadalie Grant, Indescribable, I Am by Mark Scultz(i think. sounded like him anyway :-]), and a whole slew i can’t think of right now!

Will definitly pray for you!
    (P.S. Pet a sheep for me!)

• Annie
      posted on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM  |  reply

Thanks. Thanks. Thanks.

22. Marije
    posted on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:35 AM  |  reply

My friends have diagnosed me with FOMO (fear of missing out), so I get you.
    Fave worship song: Desert Song – Hillsong