My home: Scotland style

on July 14, 2011 in Scotland with 24 comments by

Since I am severely jet-lagged still and my face would scare children, I think I’ll just show you a few pics of my living sitch.

[That’s an abbrev for “situation” — I don’t love it, but it makes me laugh. So. There’s that.]

Because my friend Molly really hates when I tell the internet my home address, I’m just going to show you pics from inside of the flat. Cool? Also, I have 2 roommates who, in the first 48 hours, seem totally great. But since they didn’t really sign up to be “blog topics,” we’ll leave them out of this for now.

Here’s the thing. I’m not a city dweller, per say. So when I have four locks on the door and someone is waiting for me downstairs and I can’t get the door open because I don’t know which lock to undo, I am quickly reminded that I am out of my element. [Also, I thought I was going to be stuck in my house forever. I eventually figured it out, but I did almost rip one of the locks off the door. Oops.]

This is the living room. I can’t remember what they call it- “the lounge” maybe?

And here is the kitchen. So cute, right? See the dishwasher? See the washing machine? See the dryer? Nope. You don’t see the dryer. Because there isn’t one. Oh, I’ll survive just fine. I’m merely helping you understand why my unmentionables will be hanging from the drying racks around the home.

And this note was on the board the day I arrived. Words are definitely my love language, so they nailed it on this one. Sure, I moved in with strangers. Is that not normal? [I’m kidding sorta.Β We had mutual friends. Don’t freak out. And kids, don’t live with strangers.]

And here is my room! So cute, right? And. Just so you know. There is a cat that lives outside my window and she thinks it is cool to scream her brains out around 5am. Today, I literally thought she was giving birth. [She wasn’t.]

So this is right when you walk in the door. If you turn to the right….

My dresser, filled to the max. Dear heavens I brought too many clothes. I mean, sure, I’m here for five months, but still. Also, I hope you home decor folks appreciate my use of the ladder as a bag display. [I’m also using it as a towel rack, but I took them down. It’s weird to look at other people’s towels I think.]

If you turn right again, this is right next to the door- my wardrobe. Like a closet, but cooler. And yes, I hope you are totes impressed with my suitcase storage. Trying to get that monster up there was laughable. Sorry you missed it.

Turn right again [and by “turn right” you get that I’m literally rotating, right? Not like “walking around” so much as just “spinning around.” Cool. Just making sure we’re all on the same page.] Appreciate the trendy wave mirror. It was here when I got here. So. Also, the radiator where I forgot to remove a towel. Sorry. It’s weird, I know.

On the other side of the room, I have this cool mantel. It doesn’t have space for all my picture frames, so I’ll be rotating them out… I have about four more in a drawer. Sorry. I love my people. And yes, I do have two copies of my own book up there. Don’t hate.

And that yellow book? It’s my photobook from my 30th birthday party. I look at it about every day. It was beautiful, thrown by my best friends, and full of those dearest to me in Nash. So, what I’m saying is that it’s a cry fest every time.

Of course, I couldn’t leave home without these. Go dawgs sic ’em.

And an upclose of my duvet cover. You’re welcome. It only cost Β£10 [which is like $14.50], so thank you, Ikea, for being cheap and cutesy.

So there you have it.

The magazines on my bed are all about two things:

1. Edinburgh Festival, which is the whole month of August and some of September. I want to be prepared for all the good times, so I’m doing some reading.
  2. Cell phone plans. Sheesh.

Sorry if this post was super boring to everyone except my Mama. HI MOM!!!

See you guys tomorrow… my first TOP 5 FRIDAY from Scotland. Booyah.

1. Michelle Franklin
    posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 7:20 AM  |  reply

I haven’t read your blog in a while and stumbled back upon it today. Gurl, you are crackin’ me up πŸ™‚ Your apartment is cute, cute, cute! I’ve been seeing those feather extensions on people everywhere and now( after reading your previous posts) I have to get some! Have a wonderful adventure. I LOVED my 30’s too. I look forward to your next entry.

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Michelle! πŸ™‚ Glad to hear from you again!

2. posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 7:23 AM  |  reply

so very adorable! glad you’ve got a cute little place to call home there.

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM  |  reply

Agreed, Katy. It has certainly made the transition easier.

3. posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:21 AM  |  reply

Love you. And love your new digs.

So proud of you for doing this. Hope next time God calls you some place much closer πŸ™‚

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM  |  reply

Miss you already. You in Dallas, me in Edinburgh. Who is left to eat pizza with Anne? πŸ™‚

4. posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM  |  reply

I’m so excited for you Annie! I love seeing your new home as a city girl. πŸ˜‰ You are so awesome!

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM  |  reply

It’s not NYC, but it’ll do. πŸ™‚

5. Debs
    posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM  |  reply

Twasn’t (is that a word? lol) boring…loved the tour!Your place is very cool…what an adventure! I know God has big things in store for the kingdom! He loves your new place and your new friends…He picked thiem just for you!

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Debs. Needed that truth again today.

Wish you were on a plane headed over here with the team!!

6. Merideth
    posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM  |  reply

Thanks for the descriptions Annie! I have to ask about a couple of things, though. What did you bring that was Georgia bulldawgs? And what was on the note yournew roommates put up to welcome you? So, why dont’ you guys have a dryer?

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM  |  reply

Hi Merideth!

The note just says “Annie! Welcome to your new home! So excited to meet you!”

I brought my slippers. I wore them NONSTOP when I was here in January, but the weather is so perfect right now- mid-60s with a cool breeze that I’m not needing them yet. I’m sure I will soon. πŸ™‚

Lots of folks here don’t have dryers. I don’t know why. They hang their clothes to dry. So, I’ll adapt. πŸ™‚

7. posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:27 AM  |  reply

LOVE it, Ans!! Makes me miss city life!

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:43 AM  |  reply

Oh shoot. I’m making you miss city life with my pictures and making you miss me with my quick wit. Really sorry about that.

8. posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM  |  reply

you are hot. and so is your room. meow.

9. Erin
    posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM  |  reply

I love it! So much natural light.

10. posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM  |  reply

your keen use of “sitch” and the cat giving birth episode *literally* have me laughing out loud… at work… I share an office…! So much fun. Your digs look awesome. Ours will probably consist of your room, complete with turning technique and no dryer… I can’t wait!! Seriously. We’re moving to another country. I.can’t.wait.!!!

11. posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM  |  reply

Not boring at all! I LOVE seeing other people’s spaces. Your little room reminds me of the time I spent in London, although I think my room was half that size and I shared it with another person!

12. posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:56 PM  |  reply

A great tour of your cute apartment. Your designer decorating with the ladder and the suitcase is ah-may-zing. (I’m tall so I hardly ever think of the difficulties of those shorter when it comes to reaching things.) Yay for sweet notes and washing machines in the kitchen! And are you sure that kitty doesn’t have, um, company out there.

13. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:05 AM  |  reply

I am trying to figure out why there is a washing machine in your kitchen! Cute place!

14. tatum
    posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:44 AM  |  reply

It’s SO cute! I sure wish this island I’m on was in that other ocean so I could hop over and see it in real life. Sad.

How have I never seen that 30th bday book? I’m sad about that too.

Did you steal those slippers from me? I know how you are with my shoes when I am thousands of miles away.

15. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM  |  reply

Thanks for sharing! I like picturing people in their surroundings. πŸ™‚ I still find it fascinating that people on that side of the ocean {Scotland, Italy, South Africa} keep their washing machines in their kitchens! I guess that’s where the cleaning of all things happens!! πŸ™‚

16. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:31 PM  |  reply

Thanks for the tour! LOVE the pics, and your comments made me feel like I was “getting the tour”! I’m actually jealous, because I would love to go live anywhere in the UK, but I guess I’ll have to settle for reading about your adventures.
    And, thanks for the DAWG slippers pic – good to know the WOOF goes overseas too! GO DAWGS!!!

17. posted on Jul 20, 2011 at 12:53 PM  |  reply

New reader. Just had to say that as soon as I saw the photo of your bed, I KNEW it was an IKEA duvet. I have the one almost like that, but with smaller flowers. Enjoy Scotland!