Top 5 Friday: TV on DVD

on August 5, 2011 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 61 comments by

This week, my friend Sophie made a list on Pioneer Woman’s Entertainment page of her top 5 favorite TV shows that are on DVD.

And I was all, “Dear Sophie and Ree, if you wanna play Top 5 Friday, all you have to do is ask!”

Because no kidding, I have a list of Top 5 Friday topics and TV shows available on DVD was this week’s topic.Β And so it shall remain. We’ll just consider Sophie’s post the sister post for this week’s Top 5 Friday.

Best of all? None of my list overlaps her list. So you’re actually getting 10 for the price of… well… nothing. [Because this is a blog. It’s always free.]

My Scotland roomies have a DVD collection that would make you drool. It’s massive- including, but not limited to, American TV series. So when I moved in, I was like, “Yeah, so…. can I watch these?” because I sit at my computer and work alone, with no one to talk to, in the quiet, for 5-6 hours a day. I pop a DVD in and let it run while I work. It’s like having friends in your office, except they are in a TV and are fictional characters.

Just minor details.

Onto the list!

MY FAVORITE TV SHOWS AVAILABLE ON DVD!

#1. Ally McBeal

This is my current enjoyment. I’m halfway through Season 2 and I’m LOVING it. I totally adored this show in college [I almost wrote “uni” – I’m so British.] Ally’s life looked so fun and big city and mature to me at the time. This week while watching, I saw that Ally is 27 and I’m like, “how is SHE a lawyer? I’m four years older than her!” Then I passed out because facts like that make my brain stop working.

Then I put in the next DVD because I still totally love this show.

#2. Alias

I’m not very tough. I’ve never pretended to be…. except when I watch Alias. It makes me want to kick somebody’s butt. I had my tonsils out in 2007 [when I was the same age as Ally McBeal] and I tried to bust through this entire series but my local Blockbuster did not have the final season. My poor sister tried and tried to find it for me, to no avail. But I want to see it. Real bad. Jennifer Garner’s character is smart and funny and someone that I am SURE I would be real life friends with [all those statements are also true of Jennifer Garner herself].

#3. Boston Public

I about giggled when I realized that my Scotty-roomie had the full series of Boston Public. Again, college story time. When I was studying to teach school at UGA, I would watch this show and it would make me LONG to be teaching. I don’t remember the series all that well, but it is next in line when I’m done with Ally. I also have a special place in my heart for Boston, so just about any show set in Boston gets a few bonus points from me.

#4. Perfect Strangers

Do you think I’m kidding? I’m not. I actually don’t have it on DVD, but I did download a few episodes on iTunes. Do you remember that show? Balki Bartokomous and his cousin Larry Appleton lived together in Chicago… and hilarity ensued. And it is full of good quality 1980s outfits and cars and sayings. Makes me long for the days of yore…. when I was 7.

Try it. You won’t be mad.

#5. Arrested Development

This is one of those shows that you need to watch from start to finish. There are tons of little jokes that are woven in and out of the script [in a genius way, if I do say so myself] amidst bigger laughs thanks to physical humor and costuming. The characters are the strangest family I have ever watched and I adore them. This is one of those TV series that as soon as it ends, you wish there was just a few more episodes. I mean, there is a character named Maeby. That’s funny.

May I also honorably mention 30Rock, The Office, The Waltons, and the Christy TV series? Thanks. I would also like to watch those full seasons at some point. But, you know, I also have a life and friends. So, it may take a while.

[Of course, for all you Modern Millies, you can stream TV series thanks to Hulu and the like. So just because I’m a bit behind on the times here in the UK doesn’t mean that I don’t highly support the coolness of streaming. I do. I really do.]

. . . . .

YOUR TURN!

Β What TV Series do you watch/want to watch on DVD/streaming?

[Lots of slashing going on in that question. Forgive me.]

1. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 9:36 AM  |  reply

Ally was 27? How do I not remember that fact? She just seemed “older” but that’s relative to the fact that I was in college at the time the show was on.

Did you hear they’re finally making an Arrested Development movie? I’m so excited!

Love watching Gilmore Girls and Felicity for old-time’s sake. I’m all about NCIS these days, thanks to USA’s marathons. I plan on starting to watch Friday Night Lights and Fringe next.

• posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 10:01 AM  |  reply

I can’t believe I didn’t mention Gilmore Girls. What a shame. It’s definitely in my Top 10. Probably in my Top 5, you know, if I hadn’t recently watched Perfect Strangers.

2. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 9:46 AM  |  reply

#1 Bones!
    #2 The Office
    #3 and #4 and #5 Bones
    (I LOVE that show!)

• posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 10:02 AM  |  reply

I need to watch Bones. Obvi. πŸ™‚

• posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 10:20 AM  |  reply

@AnnieBlogs,
        Based on what I know of you from your blog – you will love the show! (and I’m not just saying that cause I love the show!)
        The character development, the wit, the mystery, the underlying romantic tension, the nerdiness and the cool FBI agent – it’s the most awesome combo ever.

3. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 9:59 AM  |  reply

I was thinking Felicity too!
    And I have Alias (though not ALL of it), as well as Smallville, Burn Notice, Bones, True Blood season 1-though I will NEVER make that mistake again. :o(

I need to get Burn Notice season 4 (Hulu doesn’t have it and USA doesn’t stream it)
    I haven’t quite decided what else I want to see though….

Now I do have to ask…your Honorable mention on the Christy Miller series, I’m a huge fan of those books but do you mean the Christy TV show, the one based off the book by Catherine Marshall?

• posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 10:03 AM  |  reply

Oh wow. Going to fix that now. Not the Christy Miller series (though I do love her), but the Christy TV Series based off the Catherine Marshall book. πŸ™‚

4. Beth
    posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 10:09 AM  |  reply

1) ER – from the pilot to the finale i have them all.
    2) Upstairs Downstairs (google it…)
    3) Downton Abbey (Annie you might catch series 2 while you’re here:) )
    4) Brothers and Sisters
    5) Waking the Dead (fab drama about a London Cold Case Unit).

Also the Waltons and Heidi with the risk of apeearing daft lol, and of course our very own Taggart.

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:10 AM  |  reply

Girl. I love me some Downton Abbey. Haz told me about Upstairs Downstairs- I should watch it while I’m here.

See you soon I hope!

5. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 10:18 AM  |  reply

Oooo this one is SO fun
    1. Gilmore Girls, absolutely Gilmore Girls. I try to watch it on Saturdays on soap net πŸ™‚
    2. The Nanny
    3. The Golden Girls
    4. Felicity, I was this was on soap net too
    5. Everybody loves Raymond

• posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 11:01 AM  |  reply

@Tonya,
      6. Boy Meets World

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:10 AM  |  reply

Felicity. Yes. I didn’t watch when it was on TV, but it is making a resurgence in many friends’ lives, so I should definitely watch it.

6. Haley
    posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 10:39 AM  |  reply

Finished Ally last night and cried like a baby even though I greatly disliked the last season. I feel closure. Love to you.

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:11 AM  |  reply

I don’t want it to end.

7. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 10:48 AM  |  reply

Awesome idea for a top 5. Here’s mine:
    1) Friday Night Lights
    2) Veronica Mars (incredible, seriously)
    3) The West Wing
    4) Parenthood
    5) The Office (seasons 1-3)

The end. πŸ™‚

• posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 10:57 PM  |  reply

@hootenannie, Love Veronica Mars! I didn’t discover it until the third season was airing, and I caught up on all the episodes in an unhealthy amount of time.

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:12 AM  |  reply

I remember when we used to walk from your work to your house to get Veronica Mars Netflix for you to take back to the office.

That kind of dedication is enough to make me want to watch the series. πŸ™‚

8. Merideth
    posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 11:23 AM  |  reply

I remember watching perfect strangers back in the day, but I didn’t get as into it as other shows back then. I was however into Growing Pains, Who’s the Boss, etc. I watched a lot of television as a kid. As for DVDs of shows I’d watch.
    1. ER; my favorite show that I dont have on DVD and no channel seems to show the reruns anymore. Bummer. Loved Noah Whiley on there.
    2. 24; I have watched the first 5 seasons on DVD, and saw seasons 7 and 8 on TV when it was on, but haven’t gotten to watch season 6 yet.
    3. lost; Haven’t seen all the seasons of this one yet either.
    4. NCIS; My parents got me into this show and I watch it every week during the regular season and catch up on ones I haven’t seen on the reruns on USA.
    5. Gilmore Girls; Don’t watch this on DVD either, but when it’s on television.
    There are lots of other shows I watch reruns of on TV like Friends, Little House, etc. I cant’ believe how many shows I watch the reruns of and how few I watch that are on the air right now.

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:12 AM  |  reply

24 and Lost stress me out. I’m not sure I can handle that degree of intensity. πŸ™‚

9. Maria
    posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 12:00 PM  |  reply

1. Arrested Development love.
    2. DEXTER. Just don’t eat before you watch (gory-city.) But it’s unbelievably brilliant. Plus, my cousin-in-law is one of the writers. PLUG!
    3. Psych – too funny
    4. Parks and Recreation (I <3 Jerry)
    5. VERONICA MARS!! Annie Parsons for the win!

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:12 AM  |  reply

Psych is hysterical.

Annie Parsons always wins. πŸ™‚

10. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 12:26 PM  |  reply

This is like Sophie’s Choice for my Amazon wish list. I have a slight TV issue… as in, watch a lot. And currently feel like I’m shunning good friends b/c they aren’t on this list.

1. Arrested Development
    2. Veronica Mars (do. it.)
    3. Friday Night Lights
    4. Gilmore Girls
    5. The Office. (My husband and I once had a marathon where both picked a favorite episode from each season.)

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:13 AM  |  reply

I need to get on the FNL train for real. I love football and I’m just totally missing out.

It’s in my heart and in my plans. πŸ™‚

11. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 12:35 PM  |  reply

West Wing
    Gilmore Girls
    Mad About You
    West Wing
    West Wing

What I lack in numbers I make up for in certainty.

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:15 AM  |  reply

I went through a season in college where I chose to watch West Wing over attending our weekly campus ministry worship services.

It was part love of the show and part exhaustion and part rebellion.

You’re welcome for that confession.

12. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 2:46 PM  |  reply

1) Star Trek next Generation – I have them copied from TV on VHS & brought on my first term in Kenya in 1996. Still watch them from time to time πŸ™‚
    2) House
    3) JAG
    4) Star Gate SG-1
    5) NCIS – I don’t have any in the series, but I like them when I see them on furlough.

I also like Walker, Texas Ranger and Dr. Quinn Medicine woman mostly because teammates have them and so they are available πŸ™‚

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:16 AM  |  reply

Dr. Quinn is amazing. I still stop and watch it when it plays after the Waltons.

13. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 3:30 PM  |  reply

I do love Arrested Development (and Ally McBeal and Alias), but I love the fact that you included Larry and Balki!!! My family watched that show every single week. I wish I could find reruns on somewhere.

Speaking of reruns, I’ve been watching a lot lately – Will & Grace, Golden Girls, Frasier, and always, NCIS. I’ll stop there, because I could go for hours on the TV shows I love and want/need on DVD… πŸ˜‰

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:16 AM  |  reply

Will and Grace is so funny.

I think this post is speaking your love language, yes? πŸ™‚

14. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 4:44 PM  |  reply

I can’t get enough of Gilmore Girls. When I finish season 7, I start all over again with Season 1. Army Wives is next. The only show/movie that has made me cry and cry and cry. Even more than Biggest Loser or Extreme Home Makeover. Then we love Scrubs. It relieves the tension caused by Army Wives. And I used to say that my husband would make me watch Star Trek The Next Generation with him, (see looping Gilmore Girls) until I had to admit I started to enjoy it a little, too. Kind of embarrassing.

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:17 AM  |  reply

I love Extreme Home Makeover. Especially when I need a good cry.

15. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 6:15 PM  |  reply

Gilmore Girls
    The Office (the US version)
    Scrubs
    Friends
    Parenthood
    oooh I need a 6th – Big Bang Theory

Arrested Development is super funny also.

• posted on Aug 06, 2011 at 8:42 AM  |  reply

@Kaye, Arrgh! I completely forgot Chuck! I love Chuck! Can’t wait till September!

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:19 AM  |  reply

Chuck is great. And Parenthood I love so much. One of my weekly staples is watching it with two friends and we all cry sometimes.

16. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 6:53 PM  |  reply

I’m going to show my age here. I really don’t watch TV much nowadays. Here are the programs I would watch on DVD.

Gilmore Girls
    ER
    Thirtysomething
    Moonlighting
    The Waltons

• posted on Aug 06, 2011 at 9:03 AM  |  reply

@Southern Gal,
      Yes, Christy!! I forgot about that one. That could replace Moonlighting up there.

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:20 AM  |  reply

I don’t know thirtysomething. But I am thirtysomething (I am 31) – should I watch it?

• posted on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:49 AM  |  reply

@Annie, It was popular in the late 80’s. I was 20 something when I watched it. I don’t know if you’d like it, but I remember watching it every Tuesday night. In fact, my water broke while I was watching that program!

17. Sarah
    posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 7:14 PM  |  reply

1.) Castle seasons one and two. Me and my brother have the date circled on our calanders for when season three comes out on DVD. We are total Castle groopies. We plug one in and the next thing we know it’s 5 o’ clock. Lol!
    2.) Star Trek Voyager. (I’m a nerd!)
    3.)The Mary Tyler Moore show. The outfits are AWESOME. Lou’s my favorite. πŸ™‚
    4.)Magnum PI.
    5.)A tie between Dukes of Hazzard, Alf and Mork and Mindy. I like older shows. Could you tell? Lol!

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:20 AM  |  reply

Mork and Mindy was a favorite. So was Alf. Great list!

18. Lauren M
    posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 8:28 PM  |  reply

1. Gilmore Girls
    2. How I Met Your Mother–This show is so stinkin clever.
    3. NCIS
    4. Psych
    5. Boy Meets World

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:21 AM  |  reply

My friend Laura loves HIMYM – I just don’t want to watch it until I know the ending, who the mother is, then I’ll go back and watch them all.

I believe in spoilers.

19. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 10:13 PM  |  reply

LOVE your list! Currently, mine would be:
    Ally McBeal
    Friday Night Lights
    Parks and Recreation
    Friends
    & Beverly Hills 90210

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:21 AM  |  reply

Parks and Rec is absolutely hilarious.

20. posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 11:00 PM  |  reply

Oh, my heart is happy seeing all the love for Gilmore Girls! It’s my number one favorite show of all time. Here’s my list:

1. Gilmore Girls.
    2. Lost. The hubs and I are re-watching right now, and it’s SO. GOOD.
    3. Arrested Development. (“Lucille/Loose seal!” “Hey, Brother.”)
    4. Boy Meets World. I don’t actually own this one, but I love it and watched it a lot on ABC Family before we downgraded our cable.
    5. Saved by the Bell. Yes, I do in fact own seasons 1-3 of this show. I am not ashamed. In fact, “I’m so excited, I’m so excited!” Please, someone get that reference!

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:22 AM  |  reply

Boy do I get that reference…. “I’m so… I’m so… scared.”

Don’t do it, Jesse. Don’t take caffeine pills.

Great list. Boy Meets World was a Downs family favorite.

21. Erika
    posted on Aug 05, 2011 at 11:09 PM  |  reply

I LOVE watching tv shows on DVD! My top 5 favorites would have to be:

1. Army Wives-I own all (four) available seasons and I’m so addicted.
    2. Parenthood-I absolutely LOVE this show. The 2nd season comes out on DVD this month and I have been impatiently waiting for it.
    3. Gilmore Girls-no explanation needed for this one.
    4. One Tree Hill-slightly embarrassing but it is what it is.
    5. Life Unexpected-I missed this show while it was on tv but I picked it up on a whim….I love it!

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:22 AM  |  reply

Life Unexpected? I’ve never even heard of it. What’s it about?

22. Bekah
    posted on Aug 06, 2011 at 12:32 AM  |  reply

1. I Love Lucy
    2. Gilmore Girls (Im kind of addicted)
    3. Psych
    4. CSI(Las Vegas)
    5. Boy Meets World

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:22 AM  |  reply

I Love Lucy… absolute classic. Her 100th birthday was last week- hope you celebrated! πŸ™‚

23. posted on Aug 06, 2011 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

Robert recently watched the entire series of Arrested Development on Netflix. I had no idea the show existed, but it definitely entertained us for awhile. …and we wish there were just a few more. πŸ™‚

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:23 AM  |  reply

There’s always money in the banana stand. πŸ™‚

Miss y’all.

24. posted on Aug 06, 2011 at 1:43 PM  |  reply

I used to love Alley McBeal. I don’t really watch TV much anymore…but don’t be impressed instead of TV I am sucked into a computer screen πŸ™‚

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:23 AM  |  reply

I know that’s right, sister. I hear ya.

25. posted on Aug 07, 2011 at 9:30 AM  |  reply

1.friday night lights( reminds me so much of growing up in a huge football town. and let me be honest i was a “bad boy” dater)
    2.the office(cause i just need more sarcasm in my life)
    3.er ( hello? goose?)
    4.law and order-criminal intent( its the mind twisting stuff…)
    5.boston legal( love love love james spader)

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:23 AM  |  reply

I do have a love for Boston, so I’m thinking Boston Legal might be a good option for me in the future. I’ll keep you in the know. πŸ™‚

26. Laura
    posted on Aug 07, 2011 at 3:06 PM  |  reply

1) I Dream of Jeannie
    2) The Wonder Years
    3) Little House on the Prairie
    4) The Waltons
    5) I Dream of Jeannie– I love that show. . . πŸ™‚

• Laura
      posted on Aug 07, 2011 at 3:08 PM  |  reply

@Laura,
      I am gonna change my #5 to Ghost Whisperer… I can’t believe I forgot that show…

posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 5:24 AM  |  reply

I’ve watched a few episodes of Ghost Whisperer… it scares me to death.

Little House was always a favorite.

27. posted on Aug 09, 2011 at 8:52 AM  |  reply

I LOVE ALIAS. My dad and I used to watch it together. I was talking about how much I liked it the other day and he reminded me how much I used to sprain ankles and pull stuff because I would try to kick and punch and what not, at random, like Sydney Bristow. It was IN ME. I could feel it! πŸ™‚ Perfect Strangers was the best, too. I miss The Dance of Joy.

28. Wes