Poor Ben: A Bachelorette discussion.

on August 8, 2011 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 19 comments by

I think I have given you all ample time to watch the season finale of The Bachelorette. As in, I don’t even live in America right now and I’ve already been able to watch it.

So this post will continue on discussing all things Bachelorette. If you haven’t seen the finale [or if you don’t care at all], you may want to move on to your next internet destination.  Because seriously, if you don’t speak Bachelorese, the rest of this post is going to be a foreign language.

You’ve been warned.

I’m not sure we’ve even properly discussed Ashley being chosen as The Bachelorette. I’ll be honest, our crew of Bach-watchers were not overly thrilled. Ashley’s insecurities during Brad’s season were a little much and I could not imagine an entire season of that biz-nass. But, luckily, she pulled it together a bit more this time around and it made for decent television.

Bentley. All I’m going to say is that his plan to be the bad boy succeeded but most likely caused him to be excommunicated from his town and the name “Bentley” will probably drop in popularity significantly for the 3-5 years. I feel sorry for him, but only to the extent of, “I bet he didn’t think he would be hated THIS much.” But if we ever need an example of “here is the type of dude you do NOT want,” we’ve got it.

He behaved horribly and I can’t wait until someone offers him enough money that he decides to do an interview. [Which, BTW, how did he get out of being on Men Tell All? I thought that was a contractual agreement? I should ask Ally McBeal.]

We don’t even have time to discuss the dude who got drunk and passed out on the first night, Jeff and his mask, William and his TERRIBLE sense of humor [and his job as a cell phone salesman], Wes and his family issues, creepily happy Ryan, etc. The crew of guys did not disappoint in the freakazoid category.

Fast forward to the finale.

Ben vs. JP.

I was always a JP fan. I think he’s a solid dude and ever since he had the date the night of Bentley’s exit, I hoped it would be him. And through the season, he seemed to be the one who was most solid. When he met her family? All that jazz with Ashley’s sister? That was ridiculous. I think the sis wants to be famous and wanted to cause a scene and boy howdy did she do it. Not impressed.

Poor Ben. Am I right? I mean, kudos to him for being honest and vulnerable and going with his heart. But the amount of proclamations he did during the interviews… I just felt terrible for him. “We’re adding to the family today” and stuff of that nature? I mean, bless him.

But gracious, when we knew he was getting the boot but he interrupted Ashley and proposed? Ouch x a million = I couldn’t look away and I just wanted it to be over for his sake.

You know, in reality, I envy Ben. I envy the way he lived in hope. Sure, he ended up losing and probably feeling dumb, but bravo to him for being honest with his feelings and his heart.

JP winning in the end was great. I loved their proposal. I think she feels safe and cared for by him- maybe it’s his age or his settled place in life. But I don’t think Ashley was looking to start the adventure with Ben. I think she wanted to step into the adult life of JP.

I know the odds are against them, but I do hope they make it.

[I totally borrowed this from ABC- I promise I didn’t take the time to make it myself. It is sorta hilarious, no?] [And big hugs to the Bach-watchers back in Nashville. I miss you like whoa.]

What were your thoughts on this season?

Who was your favorite bachelor? [Mine was Ryan M.]

Who do you think will be the next Bachelor?

1. posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 8:59 AM  |  reply

So…Ashley drove me nuts. I watched all season, glued to the TV because obvi I am attracted to people who drive me nuts. And when it came down to it I was glad she ended up with JP. Mostly because I liked Ben (and his winery_ too much to wish him a future with her.

PS – All the tabloids are acting like JP still loves his ex. I just don’t know what to believe anymore.

• Annie
      posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 4:15 PM  |  reply

I’m seeing no tabloids here, so that breaks my heart. I really hope it isn’t true!!!

2. cbed
    posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 9:01 AM  |  reply

Ben was totally a stand up guy. I love the way he weighed his words in a contemplative way before he said them. But, JP! Love him! He consistently put himself aside to make room for her and her stuff. And she gave him lots of opportunities to practice 🙂

• Annie
      posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 4:15 PM  |  reply

No kidding. I think he has a pretty decent idea of her, um, level of maintenance. 🙂

3. posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 9:10 AM  |  reply

OK, I have to be honest I wanted her to pick Ben.
    Maybe it was just because I felt so much for him with his dad passing and all that, or that he just seemed so sweet or the whole they were friends first thing.
    But anyhow that’s who I was pulling for.
    I totally felt for him when he asked and all that, I kinda thought as soon as he got down on his knee she should have totally stopped him! That was just wrong on so many levels.
    And I loved how honest he was at the end. When he told her that if things were going to end of course they were going to end badly. I agreed with that, after all he had told her earlier in the week he loved her. To have your love handed back to you, you can’t still be friends with the person for a while. You have to be able to cease that dream of a life with them.

Part of me wants him to be the next Bach but at the same time I think he may be too nice for it.
    So we shall see….

• Annie
      posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 4:16 PM  |  reply

I hope it is him. I think they pulled on our heart strings so much because we are going to have to cheer for him in the fall. I want it to be him.

• posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 4:18 PM  |  reply

@Annie,
        I agree…Plus he’s totally “my type” – not that I’d ever do the show but there are just so many things I really like about him.

4. posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 10:29 AM  |  reply

I was rooting for Ben. He was just so nice and they seemed to have so much fun together! When he got out of the plane to be rejected I actually gasped out loud. (I had to blog about the finale too: http://thewordetarian.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/bachelorette-season-7-finale/)

JP was also great though, so I’m happy he won. He seemed to really care about her and I liked how their first date was so laid back and real. I’m not sure they’ll overcome the odds and make it but hey, it could happen.

I hope Ben F. is the next Bachelor. He and Ames were high on my list of favorites. (And yes, Ryan M.! I wondered why he got cut loose so early. I wanted them to ask him something at the Men Tell All but I don’t think he got the chance to say even one word. Oh well.)

• Annie
      posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 4:21 PM  |  reply

I can’t believe how much you like Ames. I think he looks creepy.

Ryan M. being sent home was WEIRD. He was a totally winner.

5. posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 11:30 AM  |  reply

I’m glad JP won. I felt that he was ready for a real relationship and I thought that Ben wasn’t quite as ready. BBBUUUTTT I also heard through the grapevine (internet spoilers) that Ben was spotted in San Francisco with Brit, the Food Writer from Brad’s Season. Remember her? The really skinny blonde girl who didn’t have any chemistry with Brad at all? I kinda like that fit.

• Annie
      posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 4:22 PM  |  reply

OH sheesh. I hope he’s not with Brit. I want him to be the next Bach!!!

6. posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 12:27 PM  |  reply

I am glad JP won as well. I missed some of this season but saw all of the Bentley debacle (and wished I hadn’t) and the last several episodes. I think Ashley was kind of an emotional trainwreck, but I do hope she and JP work out. I also loved the way Ben was kind of mad when Ashley turned him down and then got upset when Ashley was trying to sweeten the blow by saying lame things like, “You’re one of the most interesting guys.” She seemed genuinely surprised that Ben didn’t want to leave the show as her best friend. Sigh.

Do you think he’ll be the new Bachelor? Or have they announced that already?

• Annie
      posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 4:27 PM  |  reply

They won’t announce it until September. I want it to be Ben, but I’d even watch if it was Ryan just because I think it will be nutso.

7. posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 4:14 PM  |  reply

Annie!
    Hi- you don’t know me, but you’re blog is one of my favs and you seem awesome. That said, I blogged about this particular guilty pleasure a few weeks ago and just have to say this- everything in this season paled when next to…Ames. I LOVE that guy! Such a dearheart, it seems (I guess you never know). He made the show for me. Want to be his BFF and think it would be Awkward City if he was the next Bachelor (i.e. addicting television).
    Thanks for posting on this! So glad to have a community of Bachelorette lovers out there!

• Annie
      posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 4:28 PM  |  reply

Hi Natalie! Nice to hear from you!!

OMG- I’m cracking up that you love Ames… I thought he was kinda weird. But go for it, sister.

If he is the next Bach, will you go on the show? 🙂

• posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 4:35 PM  |  reply

@Annie, Ha! Not my type (my husband would agree) but a sweetheart nonetheless. But I will probably be tuning in no matter who it is!

8. posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 7:30 PM  |  reply

I like her with JP. She is a bit more of an adult and given her rampant insecurity, and clear abandonment/daddy issues coupled with JP’s love of being in love, I think that are actually a good match. I always hope for the couples to work (except for Jake and Vienna and Jillian and Ed because I was not an Ed fan).

Apparently Ben is doing A-ok for himself. His winery sales are way up and he was spotted out with Jennifer Love Hewitt.

This Ames’ love is bizarre to me. The man has 3 Ivy league degrees, including a doctoral one, is a bona fide blue blood- and is making the reality show rounds. I mean, Bachelor Pad??!!?? Something screams off about him to me.

9. Emily
    posted on Aug 08, 2011 at 8:17 PM  |  reply

I loved Ryan M too! Such a cutie 🙂

10. posted on Aug 10, 2011 at 3:00 PM  |  reply

I just saw on Yahoo that Ben went on a date with Jennifer Love Hewitt!