The sounds of that time.

on August 11, 2011 in School dayz, Scotland with 12 comments by

I woke up this morning and as the rain beat my window and my iCal was clear, I decided to play the “I love being single and not having anyone need me right now so I am going to stay in my bed” card.

And I played it well, my friends.

I love music, but I wanted to read my Bible [remember I’m reading the whole thing this year using THIS PLAN] and sometimes I need music without words to be able to really digest passages like 1 Chronicles 6. [Yes, I’m a little behind.]

So I chose an album called Soaking In His Presence that my sweet friend Jessica gave me in 2002. I love these instrumental songs. In fact, when I used to teach school, this was the CD I would play while my kids were working quietly.

And this morning, as the music played, my mind was rushed back to that place. I could almost feel the cold hard tiles under my feet. I could see the kids, hunkered down over some test or important assignment, and I could feel that thing in my heart that I feel for the kids I teach.

I think it’s called love.

It felt like I was there again- like I had papers to grade, emails to respond to, and a schedule to keep to make sure my little people didn’t miss their lunch.

Isn’t is amazing how music can do that? Can take you from a rainy morning in Edinburgh to a sunny winter day in Woodstock, Georgia? I think it is fascinating.

A similar thing happened Sunday morning, as we sang “You’re Beautiful” by Phil Wickham at church. I was reminded of how I used to blast that CD throughout my house in Kennesaw, Georgia, before Nashville was even a thought in my mind and certainly before Edinburgh was a reality.

The song is like a thread that is woven through so many different seasons of my life. The Annie that played that record in 2007 never would have known to picture the day in 2011 when I would stand in a Scottish sanctuary with my hands raised and sing, “I see Your face, You’re beautiful, You’re beautiful, You’re beautiful….”

Music has that power. The power to remind, to recall, to take us back. And in these cases, music has brought back to my mind the faithfulness of God.

And I’m grateful.

. . . . .

Have you experienced this before? Do you have any songs that take your mind back to a different time?

1. posted on Aug 11, 2011 at 5:49 AM  |  reply

Alien Ant Farm’s remake of “Annie Are you Ok?” takes me back almost 10 years to the summer of 2002 in Athens, GA when Jay and I came up to visit you with some of the ECUMC youth and go to lunch 😉

2. posted on Aug 11, 2011 at 7:43 AM  |  reply

Annie – I enjoyed reading your blog this morning. A friend forwarded it to me. Songs have that effect on me as well. Check out my blog and you can quickly see some examples. It’s funny how you can hear a song from 20 years ago and immediately remember the words and where you were. Bohemian Rhapsody…..I remember driving by Hickory High School in Hickory NC when I heard that song for the first time….and went and immediately bought the album. I visited Edinburgh many, many years ago for a short week. Your words took me back there too. Peace to you today.

Terry

3. posted on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM  |  reply

oh em gee. I was just thinking about that yesterday, as I was driving, heard a song and immediately went back in time. Way back.

I was going to blog about it. But I didn’t write it down. And now I can’t remember for the life of me what song it was or what memory it took me to. But I was smiling most of the way home.

But Phil Wickham’s “Cannons” takes me to Guatemala every time I hear it. Driving through a remote mountainside at night when the stars were clear and bright.

Sigh…

4. posted on Aug 11, 2011 at 9:53 AM  |  reply

Five years ago, I married a Texan and gladly left all I knew in NC to live with him there. One of my best friends sent me Sara Groves’ (at the time) newest CD- “Add to the Beauty”. I listened it to it non stop for the next four months. Even now, when I hear it, I remember being newly wed, trying to figure out a new highway system and a land where there were no trees and the horizon seemed to go on forever. I hear those songs and feel all over again the desire to love my husband well and the intense homesickness that came with being so far away from NC. But through all that, I also remember how grateful I was for Sara’s words of truth, beauty and love that reminded me God was faithful. Good, good stuff.

5. Maria
    posted on Aug 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM  |  reply

Annie – what a beautiful entry. “You’re Beautiful” actually has the very same effect on me. I was interning for Brio Magazine in Colorado Springs in 2007 and I was given that CD as a little gift from the rest of the staff. I put it on my headphones every day as I would write in my cubicle. Now when I hear that song, I see mountains, I smell the sweet, comfortable smell of the Focus on the Family halls, and I miss my CO friends so much I can feel a literal ache in my chest. It’s just magic.

6. Face
    posted on Aug 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM  |  reply

Not too creative, and very obvious, but Rita Springer always takes me back to my mustard-yellow chair in my office at Wesley.

And Sting’s “Fields of Gold” always takes me back to the back of a Buick sedan, riding to swim practice… having been freshly dumped by my first boyfriend the day before.

Nice.

7. Tay
    posted on Aug 11, 2011 at 3:34 PM  |  reply

Hold My Heart by Tenth Avenue North is a song that was very near and dear to my heart during the hardest time in my life a few years back. When I was feeling scared or worried, I would play this and pour out my heart to God. Now, in 2011, everytime i hear this song I think of those days when I was desperately seeking God.

8. posted on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:10 PM  |  reply

anything by ‘Nsync *gasp*. lol
    But a lot of songs do it to me, especially “cry out to Jesus” by third day

9. Sarah
    posted on Aug 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM  |  reply

Oh my goodness yes.
    Sometimes they’ll just jump up and grab you by the throat won’t they? And it’s like whoa. Worship songs I heard in church send me back to another time and place. Music just has that ability. Oy, I’m going to cry. 🙂

10. posted on Aug 11, 2011 at 6:21 PM  |  reply

Hi, Annie! Wondering if you can share more about “Soaking in His Presence” — artist? I want it! Hard to find good instrumental worship music. Love you, love your blog, and after spending a few weeks in Edinburgh last year, I’m a bit envious. Wish I could be there and hang out with you. Lots of love — and Sarah Olds sends her love, too. She’s here for treatment and just finished her last chemo, praise God. Radiation, and then she’s back home to those precious boys in Mozambique! We pray for you!

11. cbed
    posted on Aug 12, 2011 at 11:05 AM  |  reply

When I hear “You’re Beautiful” my heart goes instantly to Katie Davis’ blog for baby Catherine. I’ve cried a million tears praying for that girlchild to that song on her blog playlist.

I love you, Annie.
    You’re beautiful.

12. Wes
    posted on Aug 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM  |  reply

I remember listening to Death Cab for Cutie’s transatlanticism while reading The Fountainhead and then listening to Plans while reading Atlas Shrugged. Whenever I hear a song from either record, I am transported to my old couch in my old apartment, 4am and wholly captivated by Ayn Rand.