Top 5 Friday: Go Team Go!

on August 20, 2011 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 24 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday Saturday.

. . . . .

Listen.

I know it is Saturday.

But there is a reason, my people, for this tardy Top 5 Friday. Just wait for it.

Let’s talk topic: Top 5 favorite sports teams. I love love LOVE sports. I mean, so much. I am the son my father never had. All I had to do growing up is merely HINT at wanting to attend a sporting event and Dad was all over it. Being raised outside of Atlanta had it perks- namely a professional team in most every sport. So we lived it up.

I like to watch every sport, really. My favorite is American football, but I also love soccer, baseball, hockey, basketball. I can be pretty easily convinced to watch any game.

[And dear gentlemen who might be in love with me and trying to figure out how to win my affections- the quickest way to this sister’s heart is a ticket to a professional sporting event. Throw in a soft pretzel and I’ll be swooning by halftime. You’re welcome.]

Now that the dating advice portion of this post is finished, onto the topic at hand!

. . . . . . . . . .

Top 5 Favorite Sports Teams

#1. University of Georgia Bulldogs

You see, here was the delay. The UGA football team announced their new uniforms today. So I obviously wanted you to see them. I personally love the glove design… I mean, it’s totally ridiculous and funny and a bit self-centered and all three of those are the key ingredients in my personality. So of course I would love it.

I’ve been a Dawgs fan for many-a-year. Some would say I bleed red and black. I wanted to marry one of the offensive linemen. I still hate all things University of Florida related. And nothing feels as good as a little Sunday morning sunburn from cheering the dawgs on to a victory on Saturday between the hedges.

#2. Atlanta Falcons

I also kinda wanted to marry one of the Falcons a few years ago. [Am I sensing a theme here?] But seriously, I have always adored Falcons games and for a while, we had a friend give us some really nice seats. So it was a pure pleasure to go to the Georgia Dome. Mom rarely went with us- she’s not manly enough for such an experience- so it was usually Dad and the girls. Great team. Great Dome. Great soft pretzels.

#3. Atlanta Knights

Laugh if you will, but in middle school, the Atlanta Knights were my JAM. A minor league hockey team, the Knights played super well, but tickets were always available. And when they sang the national anthem at games, you would say, “… gave proof through the KNIGHTS!” and my middle school brain thought that was awesome and rebellious. And also, remember in middle school when it was cool to like stuff that other people in your demographic didn’t really like? Insert minor league hockey.

#4. Atlanta Braves

Another theme seems to be arising… But yes, I also love the Atlanta Braves. As long as I can remember, the Downs family has been tomahawk chopping. Even as a little girl, I remember watching Dale Murphy play on television. And going to games is such a great summer memory [except that one time when it was so blazing hot we left after one single inning]. The Braves have had their ups and downs, but as long as they stay in Atlanta [I’m looking at you, Thrashers], I’ll love them.

#5. US Men’s Soccer Team

The boys aren’t the best in the world, but they can play some soccer. That is for sure. It is one of those things where no matter how they play, they are the team that we Americans cheer for the most. Because, after all, we are American. And also, if you haven’t seen this video from when Landon Donovan scored against Algeria, watch it. It will give you goosebumps.

. . . . . . . . . .

YOUR TURN!!

What are your favorite sports teams?

1. posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 2:52 PM  |  reply

I have no real sports affinity, but holy cow to I remember how my father cried when Dale Murphy retired. I would say if I had one sports team it would have to be the Braves.

• posted on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:01 AM  |  reply

Dale Murphy is a hero to anyone who live in Atlanta in the 80s. 🙂

2. posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM  |  reply

Atlanta Braves: When my daughter was 8 years old (the year her younger brother started playing)until she was around 13 she had a huge crush on Chipper Jones. We took her to a couple of ball games way back then. The infatuation waned, but the love for the Braves has stayed strong. (Plus my grandmama who died in 2006 was a HUGE Braves fan. I always regret not taking her to a game.)

Carolina Gamecocks: We have a graduate and a junior from that school – that doesn’t keep my youngest, who is 9, from pulling for Clemson, though. 🙁

Denver Broncos: When I was in high school I chose to pull for the Broncos. I don’t know why. Maybe the colors?

Carolina Panthers: Gotta be true to the blue.

That’s about it other than local high school football and any teams my boys play on.

I like that pitch for future suitors.

• posted on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:02 AM  |  reply

Chipper Jones is great.

3. Merideth
    posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM  |  reply

I love you Annie! I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again. Were we twins seperated at birth? I have always loved sports, and I always thought I was the son my dad never had too. Well, picking only 5 will be a little tough, but here we go.
    1. Boston Red Sox: I’m originally from Massachusetts, so that means a few things in terms of sports. First, I always pull for Boston professional teams before any other. Second, SOX RULE!!!! Baseball is my favorite sport. I often say it’s just in my blood to love baseball. Don’t know why. Just is. Always has been, and always will be, and it’s a huge deal in Massachusetts. Fenway is also my favorite stadium.
    2. Georgia bulldawgs: Well, this is obvious. I’m a 2 time bulldawg graduate, so obviously they are my favorite college team. I never paid attention to colege sports until I moved to the south, but I love college football now.
    3. Atlanta Braves: Atlanta professional sports teams come second for me, since this is my home for the past 15 years, so the Braves are my second favorite baseball team. Lucky for me I can root for the sox and braves without hardly any conflict because they are in seperate leagues. I’ve been dying to see an Atlanta vs. Boston World Series for years!
    4. New England Patriots: Football’s my second favorite sport,and I always pull for the Pats before any other NFL team. Then, I’ll root for the Falcons.
    5. University of Maryland Terps: I went to the University of Maryland for a semester of college before transfering to UGA. so, my second favorite college team is Maryland.

• posted on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:02 AM  |  reply

Boston is one of my FAVORITE cities to visit, so I can cheer for your teams too. 🙂

4. posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM  |  reply

I am obsessed with the Chicago White Sox. Contrary to what some might say, the Sox are Chicago’s best baseball team.
    Also love the Chicago Bears, Blackhawks, and Bulls.
    Yesterday I wrote a post about the SECOND and offered up my fandom to the team (fan) with the most persuasive argument. I figured I should embrace college sports now that I live in the South!

• posted on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:02 AM  |  reply

I love that Chicago has two different teams and I love how Chicago people have a deep loyalty to one of them.

5. posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 6:09 PM  |  reply

My dad always wanted a boy, so I knew I had to learn me some sports teams to be his favorite daughter (a title I currently and forever hold). So I know more about sports than most girls, and am thinking about putting “can identify a holding penalty in American football” on my resume under Other Talents and Skills. With that, my favorite sports teams:

1. Florida Gators. I went there. I am a Gator. My classroom is a girli-fied version of orange and blue. My favorite colors are orange and blue. I eat breathe and sleep Florida Football.

And I can’t watch college football with my Jesus-loving friends as I lose my Christian values when I do.

As for the rest of the list… I’m not as rabid. I’m more of a “Yeah, I’ll go see that” kind of fan.
    2. Texas Rangers. Love baseball.
    3. I guess the Dallas Cowboys because I live in Dallas and may be driven out of town if anyone found out I wasn’t a die hard fan. Please don’t let my secret get out.
    4. Dallas Mavericks. Again because they’re from Dallas, and they make the playoffs every year and that is precisely when I start watching games.
    5. Um… Uh… I think we have a soccer team? FC Dallas?

• posted on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:11 AM  |  reply

I love you even though you love the gators.

6. Sarah
    posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM  |  reply

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
    I so know those teams! I’m right outside of Atlanta, so i know EXACTLY what you are talking about! We’re watching the braves right now!
    Sorry. I got excited.
    I love the falcones. I don’t watch alot of baseball or soccar, but i LOVE football. And rugby. I’m lovin’ me some rugby. And football. I don’t care who is playing I WILL WATCH. I just recently got into it, so I don’t know a whole bunch about all the other teams, when but Falcons, Dawgs or Tech is playing, I know who to root for. LOL.

• posted on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:11 AM  |  reply

I’m JUST getting into rugby- everyone here in Scotland loves it. So I’m trying!

7. Logan
    posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM  |  reply

I was never into sports myself but I grew up in middle NC so football rivalry between unc, duke, and ncstate was ingrained into my skull from toddlerhood. Go Pack!

Also, that video… Man I didn’t have to even click on it because I’ve already seen it so many times. I was at work that day and I even did the whole “dramatically fall down to your knees, throw arms in air, scream at the top of your lungs” thing… Embarrassing. 🙂

• posted on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:11 AM  |  reply

Worth it. One of the best sports moments ever.

8. Lindsey
    posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 11:07 PM  |  reply

You know there’s no WAY I can let this post go by without saying this…

GO GATORS! 🙂

Also, Go Braves! (The only time a tomahawk chop is EVER acceptable.)

Let’s see…

1. Florida Gators
    2. Atlanta Braves
    3. Tampa Bay Rays (hometown team!)
    4. Florida Gators
    5. Florida Gators, etc.

• posted on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:12 AM  |  reply

I knew you were going to say that. 🙂

• posted on Aug 21, 2011 at 7:49 AM  |  reply

@Lindsey, I do not know you, but I like you already. I lived in Tampa when they were the Devil Rays and they were awful!

I love your list!

9. posted on Aug 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM  |  reply

YEP… the Atlanta Knights rocked my world.

I was there with the FUMC youth group the night the Knight mascot and the opposing team coach got in a fight. That big ‘ole crazy mascot beat the snot out of that guy.

BEST. SPORTS. MOMENT. EVERRRRR!!!!

You were probably there, too. Were you?

Justin wooed me and won my heart with many a date to the Knights games!

I, too, am a girl who loves her sports.

My favorite teams:

1. Fenerbahçe futbol- our local soccer team. LOVE me some soccer!

2. The University of Kentucky basketball- C-A-T-S, cats, cats, cats!! We bleed blue in this family, Baby!

3. Indianapolis Colts/ NY Giants- basically anywhere those adorable Manning brothers find themselves tossing the pigskin.

4. The Atlanta Braves- the Braves won my heart way back in the day when they were terrible. They gave free tickets to elementary students with good grades. My dad and I spent many an evening up in the cheap (free) seats cheering on Dale Murphy, Terry Pendleton, and Otis Nixon!

5. Arsenal futbol- Don’t know why, but I do.

• posted on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:15 AM  |  reply

YES! That is EXACTLY when I started going to games was with FUMC and I TOTALLY remember that fight. Hilarious.
      I like Arsenal well enough. But I’m probably always going to be a fair-weather Man U fan, a Rangers fan when in Glasgow, and a Hibs fan when in Edinburgh.

10. posted on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:19 AM  |  reply

My favorite team is the Penn State Nittany Lions football team. My parents always joke that when I started college I left thinking that PSU played the Philadelphia Eagles, and by the time I came home for Christmas break I was a different girl. I was obsessed. I knew all of the players and their positions and our rivalries and football terms and lingo that I didn’t even know existed four months before. It made my football loving dad so proud. 🙂

11. posted on Aug 22, 2011 at 8:37 AM  |  reply

I’m a big Sports fan though I will admit that aside from football (both types ;o) ) I don’t usually watch unless it’s live, I just can’t seem to get into baseball and basketball on TV.

Top 5:
    1. Pittsburgh Steelers!
    (I’m orignally from Canonsburg PA- just a 1/2 hr south of Pittsburgh and my parents were from there so this was almost a non choice for me. I lucked out though by getting a GREAT team!)
    2. Liverpool- English Football- hardly ever get to watch but I do love them. And I love to watch a good soccer match, they have a great sense of drama to them.
    3. U of A (Arkansas) Razorbacks- Here’s to a great year!
    4. The Pirates- they are horrible but they are still my go to baseball team.
    5. The Penguins- I don’t really get into hockey but I do like to hear they’ve won.
    🙂

12. posted on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM  |  reply

!. The University of Georgia.
    2. The University of Georgia.
    3. The University of Georgia.
    4. The University of Georgia.
    5. The University of Georgia.

I also enjoy the Braves and the Falcons more recently, but really, it’s all UGA for me. 4th generation graduate, my parents were never at a single fall festival because of the GA/FL game. Saturdays in the fall are spent in Athens.

Also, did you see this article?

13. posted on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM  |  reply

One of the best parts of being a Thrashers fan the last 10 years has been continuing the tradition of yelling “KNIGHTS” during the national anthem. Won’t hear that in Winnipeg this year!

Here are my top 5:

1) Florida Gators — was a freshman during Emmitt’s sophomore season. He was a beast. Emmitt left, Emmitt right, Emmitt up the middle. He still gained over 100 yards per game. First year of law school there was the 1996 national title. So many titles! So much success! I know you can’t relate — except in women’s gymnastics.
    2) Manchester United — Largest football club in the world! “Glory, Glory, Man United!”
    3) Atlanta Braves — Huge Dale Murphy fan growing up. Many a straight-A student tix as a kid (“humble brag”)
    4) Atlanta Falcons — attended the 1980 playoff game in the freezing cold — loss to the Cowboys. Still hate Drew Pearson!
    5) Boston Red Sox — parents grew up in Boston. Went to 2 games at Fenway as a kid. Just another reason to hate the Yankees!

14. posted on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM  |  reply

I was out of town so I’m way behind on reading my favorite blogs and the plan was to just read through and not comment but I had to stop and make an Atlanta Braves comment.

I grew up watching the Braves with my dad. When it wasn’t cool to be a Braves fan. Dale Murphy was my favorite. I still have a little crush. My dad performed Steve Bedrosian’s (aka Bedrock) wedding because his wife grew up in our church in South Carolina. My dad took me with him to the wedding and all the greats were there….including my man Dale.

Since we move a lot, I tend to add on teams from wherever we’re living, but I’ll always love me some Braves.